HPM Application & Interview Invite Thread 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
7/20 - Uni of Missouri, Tulane University
7/21 - Washington Health System
7/22 - Uni of Kentucky and Bluegrass Care Navigators, Tulane, Dartmouth
7/23 - Uni of Virginia
7/25 - Uni of Buffalo, UTHSC San Antonio, St. Joseph Hospital, Tulane
7/26 - UTRGV SOM, Uni of Arkansas, MUSC, Prisma-USC
7/27 - Cleveland Clinic, Northeast Georgia Medical Center, UCSF Fresno, Wake Forest, University of Michigan
7/28 - UT Health Science Houston, Lincoln Medical (NYC), UICOMP
7/29 - Akron Childrens, NIH/CC (Bethesda),
8/1 - Wash U (BJC/SLCH), Wellstar-Kennestone
8/2 - Stanford, Uni of Alabama Med Ctr
8/3 - Zucker SOM (Hofstra/Northwell)
8/4 - Maine Medical Center, Uni of Louisville, Cincinnati Children's, Uni Tennessee Health Science Centre, Nationwide Children's
8/5 - NYU, Uni of Pennsylvania, Harvard, Uni of Wisconsin, Mayo (AZ), Grand Strand, EVMS, Children's Mercy (Univ. of Kansas)
8/8 - Uni of North Carolina (Chapel Hill), Brown University, NYPH, McGaw Northwestern, Uni of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hos., Florida State Uni-Sarasota, Mercy Health Grand Rapids
8/10 - Loma Linda, Kaiser Permanente (L.A.), Stony Brook (Southampton)
8/11 - UCLA, Cedars-Sinai
8/12 - CMC Dallas (UT Southwestern), UT Southwestern (adult track), Lurie Children's (Northwestern)
8/15- UPMC (Altoona), Mayo Clinic (MN), Emory, NYU-LI, Cleveland Clinic (2nd round of invites seen here)
8/17 - MD Anderson (Peds)

Members don't see this ad.

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
7/27 - Cleveland Clinic, Northeast Georgia Medical Center, UCSF Fresno, Wake Forest, University of Michigan
8/4 - Maine Medical Center, Uni of Louisville, Cincinnati Children's, Uni Tennessee Health Science Centre, Nationwide Children's
8/5 - NYU, Uni of Pennsylvania, Harvard, Uni of Wisconsin, Mayo (AZ), Grand Strand, EVMS, Children's Mercy (Univ. of Kansas)
8/8 - Uni of North Carolina (Chapel Hill), Brown University, NYPH, McGaw Northwestern, Uni of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hos., Florida State Uni-Sarasota, Mercy Health Grand Rapids
8/12 - CMC Dallas (UT Southwestern), UT Southwestern (adult track), Lurie Children's (Northwestern)
8/15- UPMC (Altoona), Mayo Clinic (MN), Emory, NYU-LI, Cleveland Clinic (2nd round of invites seen here)
8/17 - MD Anderson (Peds), Spartanburg

misc:
8/25 - UCSF (last day of invites)
8/30 - AdventHealth Orlando (last day of invites)

Can anyone who applied (or program folks who interviewed) last year speak to how the virtual interviewing (plus resultant over-applying, over-interviewing?, etc.) seemed to affect your match? Historically, it seems like we have a 90% chance of matching with five interviews, but that data is from 2018. Did you fall further on your rank list than you expected? If you’re part of a program, have you adjusted your process to account for these changes?

Members don't see this ad :)
7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/18- UMass

misc:

What is your guys take on programs with a name vs a smaller no name place that you would rather live for a year? Im getting to a point where I need to prioritize a bit who I interview with, and based on the fact that you guys have posted all the places I've been invited to and many more, Im guessing you are needing to do same. Here is another question, how many interviews will you guys do? Im planning to overdo it a little because I am so sick of night shifts in the ED that I could scream, but I guess it would be silly to way overdo it.

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/18- UMass, Summa Health (Ohio), University Hospitals (Ohio)

misc:

What is your guys take on programs with a name vs a smaller no name place that you would rather live for a year? Im getting to a point where I need to prioritize a bit who I interview with, and based on the fact that you guys have posted all the places I've been invited to and many more, Im guessing you are needing to do same. Here is another question, how many interviews will you guys do? Im planning to overdo it a little because I am so sick of night shifts in the ED that I could scream, but I guess it would be silly to way overdo it.

Hey EM friend, I think it depends on what you want out of a career shift and how flexible you are with your future locale. If you’re trying to open a region to your future career, I would prioritize interviewing in those places and probably the major brand names that will open doors anywhere.

Idk if you’ve thought about the possibility of opening your own hospice but that is still very much an option in many markets and choosing a program that gives you more than the bare minimum in outpatient training +/- lots of elective time could be very valuable.

It’s worth noting that California will not allow opening new hospices (unless there’s a serious need, such as in a rural locale) until I want to say 2027?, if that region is important to you.

Hey guys, I got an interview invite from Case Western a couple of days ago through ERAS. I initially responded back through the ERAS messaging center but didn't hear a response back so I sent an email directly to the program coordinator but have still not heard back. Getting a little antsy since the interview slot I wanted is for next week and I'm not sure if it's been solidified or not.

Anyone else had similar issues? Any tips if I don't hear back by the end of this weekend?

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/16 - Emory (peds track)
8/18- UMass, Summa Health (Ohio), University Hospitals (Ohio), Spectrum Health/Michigan State (peds track)

misc:

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/17 - MD Anderson (Peds), Spartanburg, UPMC (Pittsburgh)
8/18- UMass, Summa Health (Ohio), University Hospitals (Ohio), Spectrum Health/Michigan State (peds track), Geisenger (PA)
8/19 - Einstein-Montefiore (NYC)

misc:

Not to mention a VERY intriguing invitation I just got from Duke to sign up for their program in "drones science," which really feels absolutely cutting edge for HPM, pls don't be jealous.

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/18- UMass, Summa Health (Ohio), University Hospitals/Case Western (Ohio), Spectrum Health/Michigan State (peds track), Geisenger (PA)
8/19 - Einstein-Montefiore (NYC), Spectrum Health/Michigan State (adult)

misc:

Hey guys, I got an interview invite from Case Western a couple of days ago through ERAS. I initially responded back through the ERAS messaging center but didn't hear a response back so I sent an email directly to the program coordinator but have still not heard back. Getting a little antsy since the interview slot I wanted is for next week and I'm not sure if it's been solidified or not.

Anyone else had similar issues? Any tips if I don't hear back by the end of this weekend?
Hey there.

For the interview invites that I got through the ERAS messaging center, one of them provided a link to a separate program to schedule that did provide confirmation. The other two utilized the "Invitation" feature that listed the available dates and allowed me to click "schedule." One program coordinator sent a general email a few days later but for the other one, I have had no further confirmation. I was reassured because they show up green on my interview calendar in ERAS.

Hope that helps calm your nerves a bit.

Reactions: 1 user

I've been in the same boat with two programs that just asked for "top three dates" and then didn't get back to me right away. My dates are further out though. One did finally write me this weekend (surprisingly). I think it would make perfect sense to send a friendly note on Monday saying something like, "Hi, checking back in regarding interview dates. Was excited to hear from you and looking forward, but I'm wondering if I should reserve xx date for you, or if I should offer some other possible dates that might provide a little more advance notice?"

No harm in appearing polite, interested, conscientious, but accommodating, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/18- UMass, Summa Health (Ohio), University Hospitals/Case Western (Ohio), Spectrum Health/Michigan State (peds track), Geisenger (PA)
8/22 - Uni of Michigan/CS Mott Childrens

misc:

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/22 - Uni of Michigan/CS Mott Childrens, Uni of Vermont

misc:

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/22 - Uni of Michigan/CS Mott Childrens, Uni of Vermont, NYP-Queens

misc:

How about an interview impressions sheet? Anyone have a throwaway gmail account they can use?

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/19 - Einstein-Montefiore (NYC), Spectrum Health/Michigan State (adult), University of Minnesota

misc:

Anyone heard back from programs in St Louis?

At what point do you guys think you should email a program to express interest? There are a couple listed here I haven't heard from, but several others I'm very interested in that I don't see here so not sure if they've started sending invites. I don't want to jump the gun but also want to make clear to them I really want an interview. Wait until September 1st maybe?

At what point do you guys think you should email a program to express interest? There are a couple listed here I haven't heard from, but several others I'm very interested in that I don't see here so not sure if they've started sending invites. I don't want to jump the gun but also want to make clear to them I really want an interview. Wait until September 1st maybe?

I did it around this time last year

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/19 - Einstein-Montefiore (NYC), Spectrum Health/Michigan State (adult), University of Minnesota
8/23- UCSF

misc:

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/23- UCSF, Memorial Sloan Kettering

misc:

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/23 - UCSF, Memorial Sloan Kettering
8/24 - Uni of Chicago, MedStar Health/Washington

misc:
8/25 - UCSF (last day of invites?)

Feel like this would be helpful for others as well.

Rejections (R)/Waitlist (WL)
8/5- Stanford (R)
8/11 - UPenn (WL)
8/17 - Oregon (WL)

No worries. I’m blessed to have a comfortable number of invites from amazing programs!
Adding 8/25 - UCSF (R) whomp whomp

Feeling overall v lucky too, but oof... that R keeps ya humble.

It also keeps me from canceling names off an interview schedule that is currently just silly. Ugh. The neuroticism is real guys. But at the same time, there's such a difference in vibe and opportunities from one program to the next in the interviews I've done so far that I'm scared I'll cancel a sleeper hit. And although it's nice to have some amazing programs to interview with, you also realize that EVERYone's going to rank them high, and it might be valuable to seek out the hidden gems for your ROL bc the Match do what the Match do.

Anyone else feeling the struggle?

Adding 8/25 - UCSF (R) whomp whomp

Feeling overall v lucky too, but oof... that R keeps ya humble.

It also keeps me from canceling names off an interview schedule that is currently just silly. Ugh. The neuroticism is real guys. But at the same time, there's such a difference in vibe and opportunities from one program to the next in the interviews I've done so far that I'm scared I'll cancel a sleeper hit. And although it's nice to have some amazing programs to interview with, you also realize that EVERYone's going to rank them high, and it might be valuable to seek out the hidden gems for your ROL bc the Match do what the Match do.

Anyone else feeling the struggle?

Yes, I could probably cancel a couple but haven’t. Never thought I would get interview invites from top programs. I don’t feel like I’m a super competitive applicant and am not a very good interviewer. I MIGHT/will probably start cancelling if I get more invites…

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/25 - Johns Hopkins, Duke

misc:

Reactions: 1 users
I just found this thread! Sorry for the multi-info dump, just trying to fill in the ones I didn’t see listed already.

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/2 - Stanford, Uni of Alabama Med Ctr, Vanderbilt
8/8 - Uni of North Carolina (Chapel Hill), Brown University, NYPH, McGaw Northwestern, Uni of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hos., Florida State Uni-Sarasota, Mercy Health Grand Rapids, Rochester
8/9 - Colorado
8/10 - Loma Linda, Kaiser Permanente (L.A.), Stony Brook (Southampton), Yale
8/22 - Uni of Michigan/CS Mott Childrens, Uni of Vermont, NYP-Queens,
8/25 - Johns Hopkins, Duke, Albert Einstein (Philadelphia)
8/30 - Virginia Commonwealth

misc:

Last edited:
7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/8 - Uni of North Carolina (Chapel Hill), Brown University, NYPH, McGaw Northwestern, Uni of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hos., Florida State Uni-Sarasota, Mercy Health Grand Rapids, Rochester
8/9 - Colorado
8/30 - Virginia Commonwealth, MD Anderson

misc:

8/5- Stanford (R)
8/11 - UPenn (WL)
8/17 - Oregon (WL)
8/25 - UCSF (R)
8/29 - Johns Hopkins (R)

Yea, I’m struggling with the decision to cancel interviews…

Curious if any of the Peds track peeps have heard from Boston Children’s?

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/22 - Uni of Michigan/CS Mott Childrens

misc:
Did UofM send out a second round of invites on 8/22 or is this just specifically the peds track that sent out invites on this date?

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/9 - Colorado
9/01 - Boston Children's

misc:

8/5- Stanford (R)
8/11 - UPenn (WL)
8/17 - Oregon (WL)
8/25 - UCSF (R)
8/29 - Johns Hopkins (R)

Thoughts on reaching out to program directors to express interest for programs you haven’t heard from? There is one program in particular I would like to affirm my interest in, but don’t want to be offputting.

I'm in the military and currently deployed overseas, so I got a late start applying for programs!

Hopeful to get some interviews this late in the game

Thoughts on reaching out to program directors to express interest for programs you haven’t heard from? There is one program in particular I would like to affirm my interest in, but don’t want to be offputting.
I did, but early on. It made a difference in at least one case, I think. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think you have anything to lose by trying now.

I did, but early on. It made a difference in at least one case, I think. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think you have anything to lose by trying now.
Glad to hear it seemed like it may have helped you. Did you email the PD directly?

Do it. I emailed the PD directly. Got a few interviews by doing that

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/9 - Colorado
8/31 - City of Hope (CA)
9/1 - Boston Children's
9/2 - Mayo (FL)

misc:

8/5- Stanford (R)
8/11 - UPenn (WL)
8/17 - Oregon (WL)
8/25 - UCSF (R)
8/29 - Johns Hopkins (R)

I also want to take this moment to do something we rarely do in medicine and strongly dis-recommend City of Hope. I worked at one of their Kindred sites for exactly one moonlighting shift and it was profoundly upsetting. Will never work there again. Withdrew my app. Please feel free to DM if you want more info.

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/9 - Colorado
8/31 - City of Hope (CA)
9/1 - Boston Children's
9/2 - Mayo (FL), University of Washington

misc:

8/5- Stanford (R)
8/11 - UPenn (WL)
8/17 - Oregon (WL)
8/25 - UCSF (R)
8/29 - Johns Hopkins (R)

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/9 - Colorado
8/31 - City of Hope (CA)
9/1 - Boston Children's
9/2 - Mayo (FL), University of Washington, Children's Hospital LA

misc:

8/5- Stanford (R)
8/11 - UPenn (WL)
8/17 - Oregon (WL)
8/25 - UCSF (R)
8/29 - Johns Hopkins (R), Phoenix Childrens (WL)
8/30 - Northwestern/Lurie Children's (R)

My first interview is this week. You guys I am dreading virtual interviews!! Ugh. Really wishing these could have been in person. I feel like I'm having a hard time preparing.

My first interview is this week. You guys I am dreading virtual interviews!! Ugh. Really wishing these could have been in person. I feel like I'm having a hard time preparing.
It’ll be ok. I felt pretty comfortable in them, and being at home helps. Wasn’t really all that different from normal.

Just work on your why hpm spiel, think up some answers to typical interview questions, and relax as best you can.

Some common questions I’ve had so far are:

What does “hospice and palliative care” mean to you?
Tell me about a time you managed conflict?
Tell me about a time you lead a team?
Tell me about the thing you’re most proud of?
And, as ever, the dreaded: “Tell me about you.”

I’ve had some OSCE style questions too. Practicing in front of your zoom camera can help.

It really is difficult to cancel interviews when the nuances of programs can be so surprising.

Some programs seem to want to create leaders in the field.
Some programs seem to accept that they're mostly building resumes/skillsets for people who want to primarily do other things.
Some seem a little downtrodden when you'd expect gusto (often due to losses of funding and personnel).
Some are filled with warmth.
Some clearly intend to put you to WORK.
Some give you lots of autonomy.
Some want to hold your hand.

And you don't even necessarily know that you're going to end up caring about various qualities until you interview and they come out.
I am resigned to a long interview season, I think.

It really is difficult to cancel interviews when the nuances of programs can be so surprising.

Some programs seem to accept that they're mostly building resumes/skillsets for people who want to primarily do other things.
Some seem a little downtrodden when you'd expect gusto (often due to losses of funding and personnel).

And you don't even necessarily know that you're going to end up caring about various qualities until you interview and they come out.
Do you feel like you had some accurate sense of these distinctions going into the interviews, or have they taken you by surprise in the interview process?

I was just getting ready to ask for advice on which programs to cancel. I'm only a couple of interviews in. What do you mean by work?

How do y'all feel about new programs?

I think I have to cancel an interview or two. The ones I'm thinking about canceling:
1) Very new university program (current class is 2nd cohort). Do not like the city, but it is within driving distance of partner's family (partner does not care about being close to family, but we are trying to have a family).
2) Very very new university program (0 or 1 cohort in). Not a bad city to live in for a year. Further than 1 but still driving distance.
3) University-affiliated program. Really cool city, but far away from family and that is probably okay.

I think I want a university program because that's all I know and want to keep my doors open just in case.

Do you feel like you had some accurate sense of these distinctions going into the interviews, or have they taken you by surprise in the interview process?
So far I've been surprised! It's helping me gain understanding of the field though, in terms of its breadth and the kinds of careers people want to have.

I was just getting ready to ask for advice on which programs to cancel. I'm only a couple of interviews in. What do you mean by work?

Like, some programs will just straightforwardly say, "We keep you busy, we've got a ton of consults, we manage a massive hospice, don't expect it to be chill... you won't have a lot of time to pursue your research or other interests, but you'll get tons of experience." If they have a great service, this can be just fine. Other times it just feels like they're looking for cheap labor.

How do y'all feel about new programs?

I think I have to cancel an interview or two. The ones I'm thinking about canceling:
1) Very new university program (current class is 2nd cohort). Do not like the city, but it is within driving distance of partner's family (partner does not care about being close to family, but we are trying to have a family).
2) Very very new university program (0 or 1 cohort in). Not a bad city to live in for a year. Further than 1 but still driving distance.
3) University-affiliated program. Really cool city, but far away from family and that is probably okay.

I think I want a university program because that's all I know and want to keep my doors open just in case.

I think a lot depends on what you want out of fellowship. If you just want a skillset to add to your existing skills, maybe a good location where you can open new opportunities for your primary field is worthwhile? Or if you're trying to use HPM to leapfrog to a different specialty, it might be okay if they have that fellowship in the same hospital.

Personally, HPM is my passion and what I want for my career, so I would like to be in a program with at least two fellows (for support on things like call) with a good established service and alumni. It's only one year, so I don't feel like I have time to let them use me as a guinea pig.

7/23 - Uni of Virginia
8/9 - Colorado
8/31 - City of Hope (CA)
9/1 - Boston Children's
9/2 - Mayo (FL), University of Washington, Children's Hospital LA
9/6- Mt. Sinai (NY,) UC San Diego

misc:

8/5- Stanford (R)
8/11 - UPenn (WL)
8/17 - Oregon (WL)
8/25 - UCSF (R)
8/29 - Johns Hopkins (R), Phoenix Childrens (WL)
8/30 - Northwestern/Lurie Children's (R)

The virtual interviews are definitely tricky, but I'm getting more of a sense than I thought I would of the programs!