Do I even have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBookman

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So I have changed majors quite a few times over my long years in college. I have switched from Network Security to Computer Science before finding my passion in Chemistry where I had earned my first degree. I was in the process of earning my PhD in Chemistry when COVID-19 hit and layoffs occurred (funding dried up and I can't work for free). As I was stuck in a location where I could not use my degree and could not afford to move thanks to student loans, I eventually found myself working in a hospital where I learned about Medical Lab Science and am currently in a program to earn my degree. It was thanks to this program and the two years prior that I learned, discussed, and met numerous MDs and MD/PhDs who have shown me a path that I am eager to start on. However, there is one major fear I have and that is my GPA.

My overall GPA is absolutely abysmal. From 18-23 I was in NetSec/CompSci and I was routinely getting Ds and Fs with a handful of Cs. It wasn't until I switched to Chemistry where my grades began to climb. Since returning to school, all my grades have been Solid B's and a few A's due to the nature of working a full time job, going to school full time, and taking care of my father and grandmother (neither of whom can live on their own due to severe issues with their health and mental handicaps).

My overall GPA would by the end of the spring will be around 2.8-2.9. When I had applied to PhD programs, I was able to discuss this and still get schools to look at my application - though I am unsure how it works in the DO field. I would rather not spend thousands of dollars to retake courses that would have no bearing on my future work (nor do I have much interest in general in learning how to build databases or manage an linux server stack). Nor do I have much of an interest in moving halfway across the country to "restart" and have some of my grades erased with Academic Fresh Start. Looking into that avenue, it wouldn't even erase the most pertinent years that have been holding my GPA back.

I have strong letters of recommendation from professors, colleagues, and working MD/PhDs that I have shadowed, thousands of hours of community service and patient facing work under my belt, and a few written and published research papers including a first name authorship. I will also have a few years of dedicated work as an MLS under my belt by the time I apply.

I do not plan on applying for the "top of the line" schools as I am of the belief that any school is a good school if you put forth the time and effort to see growth in your professional field. I just fear that even applying to "lower end" schools, my application will be tossed in the bin upon immediately seeing the overall GPA and not the 14 years of schooling that saw remarkable improvements and a strong GPA within the sciences.

My current plans are to take a year off to find a care facility to take over on the management of my family so I can begin doing an SMP early next year. While doing the SMP, I would continue to work full time and retake one or two courses that I feel like I could do better in (and as a refresher as many of them I haven't done for 7+ years now). Once I complete the SMP, I would take a few months off to study for the MCAT to ensure 98-99th percentile passing.

So, with a (hopefully) 4.0 SMP, 4.0 Course retakes at the same time (to help ensure that I can take on a difficult course load and do well alongside working full time), and a high MCAT score - would I have a chance at a DO program? Or is my previous GPA just too horrid to look past?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No one can really answer any of this until you actually receive the 4.0 SMP GPA and high MCAT score. Until then, it's just alot of hypotheticals.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your sGPA and cGPA since you returned to school and how many credits ? When are you planning to take the MCAT ? Where is your state of residence ?

Members don't see this ad :)
No one can really answer any of this until you actually receive the 4.0 SMP GPA and high MCAT score. Until then, it's just alot of hypotheticals.
That is what I am asking. Hypothetically, if I were to do this would I have a fighting chance of getting into a DO program?

If there is almost zero chance to get in then I would change my plans and pursue a different avenue of higher education such as earning a PhD instead. I am not a gambler and don’t want to waste years on a 1-6% chance of success.

What are your sGPA and cGPA since you returned to school and how many credits ? When are you planning to take the MCAT ? Where is your state of residence ?

Around 3.4 cGPA and 3.1-3.7 sGPA since returning. Average credit load of 15 credits each semester across 6-7 courses, but the courses are on average in 2-3 week blocks for that semester.

This was across 4 semesters total in the past year (Spring 2023 first time back in school after 3 years, Summer 2023, Fall 2023, and Spring 2024).

I was planning to take the MCAT 6 months after I finish the SMP. This would be around fall/winter of 2027. I currently reside in South Dakota.

Which schools are closest to your current location? I would set up an appointment to meet an admissions counselor, recruiter, or director.
I will do so. There are a few medical programs near me but they are nursing or MD. I will try to look for specifically DO.

Hypothetically anything is possible

Even with your current stats you would receive interviews at DO schools if your MCAT was 505+. You would need to apply broadly and include all the newer schools. A SMP where you do well will also help.

Reactions: 3 users
Even with your current stats you would receive interviews at DO schools if your MCAT was 505+. You would need to apply broadly and include all the newer schools. A SMP where you do well will also help.
Thank you. That is what I was hoping for!