I take MCAT in July, is t even worth applying at this point with Covoid-19 going on.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Last Reclaimer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get it, this is a bad question. But I am desperate. I take my MCAT July. Assuming it doesn't get canceled, should I do another gap year? What do you think will happen with the application process of this DO cycle? Ultra competitive admissions this cycle? What do you guys think. Again, I know this is a silly question, but, I am lost.

EDIT: with this disease, it seems like all the apps with mcat scores will get all of the spots before summer test takers have a chance to apply. get what I am saying? I should've clarified that in my post.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will be fine, I took my MCAT in September and still had a very successful cycle with DO. However, if you want to apply MDs then that will probably be a bit late.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t see this field becoming more competitive randomly due to disease. Remember, it takes more than just a few weeks to become a competitive medical school applicant.

Besides, most people run from danger. So, if anything (though also extremely unlikely), it would be less competitive from the people who realize that they can die by being a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
No Im DO only, but with this disease, it seems like all the apps with mcat scores will get all of the spots before summer test takers have a chance to apply. get what I am saying? I should've clarified that in my post.

No Im DO only, but with this disease, it seems like all the apps with mcat scores will get all of the spots before summer test takers have a chance to apply. get what I am saying? I should've clarified that in my post.

This is never the case. While it is very important to apply early, spots will always remain available because adcoms know some very competitive applicants will apply late. A July MCAT isn't ideal, but if you do great and are a competitive applicant, it won't destroy your application.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 2 users
No I don’t follow what you are saying. For the class of 2025 (which is what you will be if you are applying this cycle), an MCAT Is July is fine. No, they will not fill all the spots before summer mcat takers have a chance. Usually less than 30% of the applicants have applied come August 1st of any year. Like I said, it’s not randomly going to become more competitive.

You will be fine, I promise!

No I don’t follow what you are saying. For the class of 2025 (which is what you will be if you are applying this cycle), an MCAT Is July is fine. No, they will not fill all the spots before summer mcat takers have a chance. Usually less than 30% of the applicants have applied come August 1st of any year. Like I said, it’s not randomly going to become more competitive.

You will be fine, I promise!
You think that EVEN with this virus canceling everything?

1. You are not the only applicant who will be affected by the short-term MCAT cancellations. In fact, there are likely to be thousands of applicants in a similar situation.
  2. Consider also that a not-insignificant proportion of people who have already taken the MCAT will be second-time applicants who are, in general, less-desirable candidates compared to first-time candidates.
  3. The DO cycle tends to run later than the MD cycle, so July should be OK anyway for DO.
  4. And sadly, there is some truth to the observation @Rogue42 made about people running from danger.

Reactions: 1 user
You think that EVEN with this virus canceling everything?
I’m still confused by what you’re getting at or what your thought process is.

There will not be some crazy influx of applicants - like stated, if anything there will be less applicants. Remember, it takes years of hard, dedicated work to be a good applicant. And no one is just gonna randomly be that good because they decided to be yesterday, and no one who worked that hard for years is just going to give up on it this cycle due to a pandemic either.

Medical schools are not going to fill their classes with people who they do not think deserve it, regardless of a pandemic, regardless of cancellations.

Medical schools will operate as normal for next cycle admissions, I can promise you that much. You are gonna be solid my friend, so long as you’ve made yourself a worthy applicant.

Take a deep breath!

I get it, this is a bad question. But I am desperate. I take my MCAT July. Assuming it doesn't get canceled, should I do another gap year? What do you think will happen with the application process of this DO cycle? Ultra competitive admissions this cycle? What do you guys think. Again, I know this is a silly question, but, I am lost.

EDIT: with this disease, it seems like all the apps with mcat scores will get all of the spots before summer test takers have a chance to apply. get what I am saying? I should've clarified that in my post.
A July MCAT is fine. So is August. Fo DO, even Sept/Oct isn't too late.

In the event that all MCATs are cancelled this year, it's a sacrifice you'll have to make. We're in a wartime situation and health care workers all over the world are putting their lives on the line to take care of sick people. So at worst, you can lose a year in the app cycle.

I'm trying to say thins in the nicest possible way, this isn't about pre-med's aspirations anymore.

Reactions: 4 users
A July MCAT is fine. So is August. Fo DO, even Sept/Oct isn't too late.

In the event that all MCATs are cancelled this year, it's a sacrifice you'll have to make. We're in a wartime situation and health care workers all over the world are putting their lives on the line to take care of sick people. So at worst, you can lose a year in the app cycle.

I'm trying to say thins in the nicest possible way, this isn't about pre-med's aspirations anymore.
I appreciate and agree with your response Goro, another gap year would by no means be the end of the world. If that happens, then hopefully after my MCAT I can get back to more community work.

I’m still confused by what you’re getting at or what your thought process is.

There will not be some crazy influx of applicants - like stated, if anything there will be less applicants. Remember, it takes years of hard, dedicated work to be a good applicant. And no one is just gonna randomly be that good because they decided to be yesterday, and no one who worked that hard for years is just going to give up on it this cycle due to a pandemic either.

Medical schools are not going to fill their classes with people who they do not think deserve it, regardless of a pandemic, regardless of cancellations.

Medical schools will operate as normal for next cycle admissions, I can promise you that much. You are gonna be solid my friend, so long as you’ve made yourself a worthy applicant.

Take a deep breath!
Thank you so much, I do hope so!

1. You are not the only applicant who will be affected by the short-term MCAT cancellations. In fact, there are likely to be thousands of applicants in a similar situation.
  2. Consider also that a not-insignificant proportion of people who have already taken the MCAT will be second-time applicants who are, in general, less-desirable candidates compared to first-time candidates.
  3. The DO cycle tends to run later than the MD cycle, so July should be OK anyway for DO.
  4. And sadly, there is some truth to the observation @Rogue42 made about people running from danger.
Thank you, that seems extremely reasonable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took my MCAT in August, score back in September, accepted DO in February last cycle.

If the virus pushes your MCAT date all the way to October you’ll be fine. As for other stuff, Med schools are already doing Zoom interviews, if that has to continue it will.

If you’re just looking for an excuse to take an extra year, go ahead. You’re an adult.

I applied in mid-september (2017-2018 cycle), and received 5 interviews before December, 1 acceptance before Christmas. Overall, 12 Interviews (only attended 4) and 2 acceptances for the cycle. You will be fine. The DO cycle runs longer than the MD one. Just take your time to make sure you get a good score.

I just pushed my MCAT date from May 9th to July 7th due to COVID-19 (I'm in California).
I think (and hope) it wouldn't be too late since everyone is being affected by it.

MCAT in July is not late for DO but for sure it will be late for MD.
How is your rest of the app?
Your gpa and EC?

Hey everyone
I’m a reapplicant for this cycle
graduated in 2017 from uconn
I studied in a medical school in Syria for three years, but because of the war I had to leave in 2012 and started again from zero
I applied in 2018, but my bad mcat score (510 Cars 122) was probably my killer, yet I got two interviews but no acceptance
I was planning on doing my mcat in April, but I had to move it til July 7, and this is killing me because I took a cars course to improve my grade and I’m hoping I can get some 5 extra points at least
I did around 120 hours as a volunteer research Assistant
120 clinical experience shadowing a physician
Around 200-250 hours of volunteering as a translator and medical coordination for refugees
And I’m currently working for a covid-19 testing site
My bcpm gpa is 3.72, AO 3.44, and overall 3.66, not to mention that in my medical school in Syria I did around 132 credits with a 3.56 gpa
Do you guys think I have a chance with additional research and post bacc studies in the fall? And are there any considerations gonna be given for this cycle?

A July MCAT is not late, for any program, MD or DO, period. If you can submit an application by August, you're fine. You may have to wait a bit longer for interviews, but if you application and scores are good, you're fine. I've always disliked these types of questions coming from premeds and being answered by premeds (and some med students). This isn't the best audience to answer this. Talk to your advisors. Call programs and ask directly. Get the info direct from the source because SDN will be about 20% helpful to you with this.

Your gpa and EC?

This is not correct for this cycle or normal cycles especially given a July 7th mcat date. In a normal cycle your goal should be to have secondary applications complete in September. If you want to be early, complete by Labor Day is great. However given the abnormalities of this cycle a July mcat would be just fine.

Once you finish your mcat in July, take a day to celebrate and relax and then get to work on your primary application. Try to get it submitted that next week. By the time your scores come in your application should be ready to go. While you wait, start presenting secondary application essays.

This is not correct for this cycle or normal cycles especially given a July 7th mcat date. In a normal cycle your goal should be to have secondary applications complete in September. If you want to be early, complete by Labor Day is great. However given the abnormalities of this cycle a July mcat would be just fine.

Once you finish your mcat in July, take a day to celebrate and relax and then get to work on your primary application. Try to get it submitted that next week. By the time your scores come in your application should be ready to go. While you wait, start presenting secondary application essays.

Why is it not correct? That's why I asked him/her her rest of the application.
If his/her GPA is <3.0 it doesn't matter even if he takes MCAT in May/June.
If his GPA is >3.5 taking MCAT on 7/7 for DO is fine as long he/she gets over 505.

Why is it not correct? That's why I asked him/her her rest of the application.
If his/her GPA is <3.0 it doesn't matter even if he takes MCAT in May/June.
If his GPA is >3.5 taking MCAT on 7/7 for DO is fine as long he/she gets over 505.

Early July mcat is for sure not late to MD as long as OP prioritizes getting secondary applications turned around quickly.Completed applications by Labor Day is early and by mid/late September is normal. While OP would have less time to do this than someone taking the mcat earlier it is by no means late. Make sense?

I am DO only. Will not be applying to any MD schools ever. Thank you all!

How do you know the MCAT in July won't get cancelled ? The COVID-19 situation looks like it might stretch throughout the summer too.
Your gpa and EC?

How do you know the MCAT in July won't get cancelled? The COVID-19 situation looks like it might stretch throughout the summer too.
You don't, it's up to you. Either you study now for a potential July date that might or might not get cancelled or you don't. Should the July date not get cancelled and you did not study, have fun seeing your peers taking it before you lol.