Did not match, contemplating Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This process would be so much easier and cheaper if every program was just categorical
yes with some caveats. If that were to happen, I would prefer to have 6 months dedicated to wards and 6 months in radiology. If it was like it is now with no radiology in intern year, I prefer the current system bc i can look for a cush internship instead of going through a useless meat grinder at an academic hospital rounding for 14 hours a day

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
yes with some caveats. If that were to happen, I would prefer to have 6 months dedicated to wards and 6 months in radiology. If it was like it is now with no radiology in intern year, I prefer the current system bc i can look for a cush internship instead of going through a useless meat grinder at an academic hospital rounding for 14 hours a day

Same. That is why I wanted to do a TY year at a different program. I ended up matching in a categorical spot, so I have to do the intern year. Typically, I don’t think categorical spots are as brutal as a typical prelim year because they still give you some elective time and a mandatory 2 months of radiology that occur at the end of the preliminary year (If they are a good program).

Might be a little late to the party, but here's a small project I was working on. The attachment definitely doesn't have all of the Categorical DR programs, but it has ones that I found and might be interested in. Top part shows programs that are categorical or say on their websites that you can choose to do categorical. Middle is UMKC-SOM, which has a strange program apparently. The bottom includes some that seem like they would be more closely related to the pseudo-categorical category, as well as some I'm interested in based on location. etc. Fair warning, I prefer smaller cities and more rural areas, plus I'm from the midwest so I skipped over NYC, Chicago, LA, etc. without looking for categoricals there.

If anybody knows more about some of these programs, feel free to mention it or PM me and I'll edit the doc.

Since Match Day was yesterday, I hope OP had a great day and matched into something he was happy with. Would love to hear how it went. Best of luck in their future!
Glad someone’s doing this. Sure would’ve been nice. Pretty sure the umkc one is no longer integrated though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad someone’s doing this. Sure would’ve been nice. Pretty sure the umkc one is no longer integrated though.
Yeah I've heard that UMKC wasn't anymore but their website still shows the sample curriculum that is integrated, so idk.

And yeah, I've searched for stuff all over but nobody seems to have anything compiled. I'd love for people to take mine and run with it by adding places they're interested in and re-upload. That way it would include basically all the categorical programs across the US. Maybe I'll start another thread with that?

I'm also working on a list of TYs that I'm interested in (again, mainly midwest), but that doc is kind of a mess because I tried to include what kind of rotations each includes, plus some notes. I can share it if people want, but don't blame me if it's confusing :giggle:

Yeah I've heard that UMKC wasn't anymore but their website still shows the sample curriculum that is integrated, so idk.

And yeah, I've searched for stuff all over but nobody seems to have anything compiled. I'd love for people to take mine and run with it by adding places they're interested in and re-upload. That way it would include basically all the categorical programs across the US. Maybe I'll start another thread with that?

I'm also working on a list of TYs that I'm interested in (again, mainly midwest), but that doc is kind of a mess because I tried to include what kind of rotations each includes, plus some notes. I can share it if people want, but don't blame me if it's confusing :giggle:
Yeah I interviewed there this cycle and was told it wasn’t a thing anymore. A couple interviewers actually complained about this because they liked it.

I think a list of TYs would be great. I doubt anyone really cares about every little rotation at each site since it’s already on the website. But just knowing super chill vs. chill vs prelim medicine program in disguise and how many months of electives and other perks would go along way. For instance, the TY/prelim at Minnesota is notoriously painful.

There’s also rads programs that’ll literally just count your interview for rads as the interview for the prelim too. It doesn’t guarantee you match the prelim if you match the advanced program, but at least it’s one less painful prelim interview.

I’ll happily contribute what I can to this doc if you ever get it going :)

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah for sure start a thread for it and we can compile a list

Yeah I interviewed there this cycle and was told it wasn’t a thing anymore. A couple interviewers actually complained about this because they liked it.

I think a list of TYs would be great. I doubt anyone really cares about every little rotation at each site since it’s already on the website. But just knowing super chill vs. chill vs prelim medicine program in disguise and how many months of electives and other perks would go along way. For instance, the TY/prelim at Minnesota is notoriously painful.

There’s also rads programs that’ll literally just count your interview for rads as the interview for the prelim too. It doesn’t guarantee you match the prelim if you match the advanced program, but at least it’s one less painful prelim interview.

I’ll happily contribute what I can to this doc if you ever get it going :)

Yeah for sure start a thread for it and we can compile a list
I started 2 threads. The TY Program List and the Categorical Rads List. I made both with links to Google sheets so people can add/edit programs as the please. I would love if they both became as comprehensive a list as possible.