Competitiveness of Radiology Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiaboy

Reaction score
Current R2 rads resident in the Mountain region. Originally from California and hope to go back longterm cause of family. Interested in pursuing either neuro or MSK fellowships and eventually PP. What's the best thing I can do to set myself up well to match back home for fellowship? Is it as competitive to get into fellowships in California as it is to get into residency there? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are a million fellowship spots and you won't have issues going to the general region. If you want a specific fellowship at a certain place, the best way is to get involved with some projects and network with the attendings at national conferences. If you can have your attendings make a call for you (especially those who trained at the same institution and in the area), then that would probably go the furthest.

Agree with MadRadLad,

If you're not picky about the particular program, it's nearly a certainty you can get a spot somewhere in california. Atleast for neuro, the programs I'd consider somewhat competitive are Stanford, UCSF, UCLA and maybe USC. That still leaves Loma Linda, Harbor-UCLA, UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, Cedars, UC-Davis.

Same thing on the MSK side. There's strong programs and then there's places like UC-Irvine and UC-Irvine VA program where I see opening listings every year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with MadRadLad,

If you're not picky about the particular program, it's nearly a certainty you can get a spot somewhere in california. Atleast for neuro, the programs I'd consider somewhat competitive are Stanford, UCSF, UCLA and maybe USC. That still leaves Loma Linda, Harbor-UCLA, UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, Cedars, UC-Davis.

Same thing on the MSK side. There's strong programs and then there's places like UC-Irvine and UC-Irvine VA program where I see opening listings every year.
Stanford and UCSF arent competitive because they are 2 year programs. UCSF went unfilled last year

Stanford and UCSF arent competitive because they are 2 year programs. UCSF went unfilled last year

Eh, just about every neuro program has gone unfilled at some point. I don't put too much stock into that. UCSF is usually considered a top 5 neuro program if not top 3. Best on the west coast. Anecdotally I've heard even if you sign on for 2 years there its not uncommon to leave after one.

Stanford a solid program and a great CV booster if for those who want a career in academics.

Most of the places that are two years still mostly fill.

UCSF does let you leave after 1. Stanford doesn't, but their integration with Silicon Valley startups and the incubator atmosphere is fantastic if you have those interests.

Personally, I think 2 years are a waste of time. Just do 1 year.

UCSD, UCLA, Utah, Barrow, Washington are all great 1 year programs out west. USC has less name brand but I have heard it's a little more chill than the others.

Reactions: 1 users
Do they still get a diploma?

Enough people who have done 1-year fellowships from UCSF are out there that it probably doesn't matter. Maybe you'll get the stinkeye if you ever try to go get hired again at UCSF or a place like MGH, but you should be fine to get a job at pretty much every other place.

Current R2 rads resident in the Mountain region. Originally from California and hope to go back longterm cause of family. Interested in pursuing either neuro or MSK fellowships and eventually PP. What's the best thing I can do to set myself up well to match back home for fellowship? Is it as competitive to get into fellowships in California as it is to get into residency there? Thanks!

Can't speak for high end academics but for PP, where you do fellowship is semi-irrelevant these days...You can go to some top notch neuro/MSK fellowship and still lose out to some breast imager that graduated from the cr*ppiest fellowship out there

Even when the market was tighter, PP will hire a new grad from a program they have direct ties with over a random new grad from a "top-notch" fellowship. I'm not from CA but did do a fellowship/worked there for about 5 years (Sac area)

Reactions: 1 user