CVS vs WAG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChippyChad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those RPh that have worked both chains, are these 2 places pretty much the same (when it comes to the software, work float, etc)? or do you think one place is better than the other?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No

Dog **** vs donkey ****

I would honestly change careers if these are your two options

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
So sorry - both are downright horrible. All i can say is that I am so sorry for what you are about to be exposed to

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you RIite Aid vs CVS. At CVS electronic scripts come mostly typed and I just have to do little adjustments sometimes so it is very easy but at Rite Aid I have to type each e-rx so it takes more time to get them ready to be verified. Clinical verification is the same and final verification is harder at CVS because we have to dump the pills out of the vial and put them back in there so it can hurt your hands and shoulder if you do this all day. We have better techs at CVS so they help out with transfers and we have the lead tech that does store to store transfers and outdates and other tasks which I used to do on the weekends at Rite Aid but at CVS the tech does all that. We do more calls at CVS. I average about 10 calls on Saturday and 5-6 calls each day on the weekdays. We are forced to counsel a lot at CVS compared to RIte Aid and CVS forces showing ID at pick up each time for controls. The schedule and vacation time and the pay is similar. Both keep cutting tech hours. CVS software is more advanced and a lot better than RIte Aid so you can do a lot with it. I like it a lot but at Rite Aid the software is so simple so fewer scripts get refilled at Rite Aid. At Rite Aid the DM put you on weekly calls if you don't reach flu shot goals but at CVS as a staff pharmacist I never had to go on conference calls in the past year.

Reactions: 2 users
CVS software is more advanced and a lot better than RIte Aid
Did CVS update their software in the last couple years? Everyone that I talk to prefers Rite Aid's NexGen. Then again, every update does make it slightly worse.

Did CVS update their software in the last couple years? Everyone that I talk to prefers Rite Aid's NexGen. Then again, every update does make it slightly wors
CVS software is more difficult. They add extra steps to fill simple scripts but it was designed better to make more profits that's what I meant. Rite Aid software makes it easier to fill scripts. CVS updated their software last year so for electronic scripts we don't have to verify patient names and birthdays and doctor names for most electronic scripts and all scripts going on hold don't have to be verified. It made my job a lot easier.

Last edited:
just a tech, but only two things I know

1. Wags software is superior to CVS
2. Wags pharmacists have to give out way more shots per hour (at least in my area)

Both have some advantages and disadvantages vs. the other, but the worst thing is that they are competing really, really hard to win in their race to be the worst possible employer of pharmacists.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
I would suggest you to go with WAG. they both are bad. But WAG is little bit better than CVS in terms of tech help. @wag store manager handles most of the scheduling part and call offs. Plus front staff can come back in pharmacy (a few from the front staff are certified techs). I know at some stores they pretend they r busy and do not help in pharmacy. But the stores in my neighborhood I not backed up. They are busy but they can manage. On the other end all the Rphs of CVS complain all the time. Software wise- WAG is much better. Floater schedule depends on the district you get hired in. so it varies. WAG recently reduced their new hire wages though. offering around 47-48. So at the end, if you are getting a nicer floating district at wag- go for it. you may have to go outside your district for more hours. Like one hour commute is considered normal now a days.

If those are the only two choices then I'd go with Wags just so you don't have to hear "lane one" and "one pharmacy call, two pharmacy calls, three pharmacy calls" all day. I still have PTSD from that robo voice and it's been 3 years.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
If those are the only two choices then I'd go with Wags just so you don't have to hear "lane one" and "one pharmacy call, two pharmacy calls, three pharmacy calls" all day. I still have PTSD from that robo voice and it's been 3 years.
Walgreens generally doesn't do robo voice, that's true, but it still has buttons for idiots in the drive-through to push that cause loud and obnoxious incessant ringing noise in the pharmacy. I would so make those 'help' buttons in the drive through the activation buttons for flamethrowers... not once had I had a decent person on the other end of that button, so it would be making world a better place too.

• Wow
Walgreens generally doesn't do robo voice, that's true, but it still has buttons for idiots in the drive-through to push that cause loud and obnoxious incessant ringing noise in the pharmacy. I would so make those 'help' buttons in the drive through the activation buttons for flamethrowers... not once had I had a decent person on the other end of that button, so it would be making world a better place too.

Would anyone notice if you covered it in duct tape?

• Hmm
  • Wow
I've had idiots who pressed the button as soon as they drove in, so I pick up and tell them be there in a minute. Then they press the button again, this time I just pick up and put it on mute.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users