CVS vs CVS Target vs Independent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anarxst

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few job offers one from an independent who pays well and is giving me a max of 32 hrs/wk. Job conditions are good and staff is good. I also have an offer for CVS Target which is a full-time float position with guaranteed hours. I was curious what you’ve heard, or better, what you’ve experienced working for a CVS inside target location? I hear it’s better than working at an actual CVS location since there’s no drive thru and script count is somewhat lower but curious to hear what you guys think. There’s pros and cons to both. I’ve heard a lot of negatives primarily for working for CVS but not too much for the CVS within Target locations. I’m going to respectfully ask that you keep the replies focused to what I asked and please do not answer about how great it was before CVS took over as this does not help in my decision. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

There are a few things that you may want to consider. If the independent Pharmacy is giving you 32 hrs/wk max, but 32 hours guaranteed every week, then it may be a better choice. You said the environment is good and the staff is good. In addition, you will work at only one location, no extra gas expenses, no stressful commute. On the other hand, CVS' full time definition is 32 hours per week, NOT 40. Therefore, the job being offered at CVS is no different than the one offered by the independent in terms of hours. You may want to consider that as a CVS Floater, you will work at different locations every day and you commute time may vary from 10 minutes to 3 hours plus, depending on your work location - big or small city. Gas expenses and a stressful commute may get to you at some point. Also, being a Floater at CVS, whether is a Core store or Inside Target, it can be like day and night. One day you may be working in a fairly pleasant location and another day at a location, in which you are just counting the minutes for your shift to be over to run home. A CVS inside Target is somewhat more relaxed than a CVS core, being the major plus not having a drive thru. The script count is definitely lower, though now you have to do remote verification for other stores. If you happen to work in a well-run CVS Pharmacy inside Target, it could be a "relatively" great place to work at. Please note, that I said relatively, because if you decide to work for CVS, you are committing to abide and work under the hours budgeted for the store (be highly efficient), meet metric expectations (have full accountability), stay up-to-date with compliance and other demands from you particular RxM/DL (be proactive and stay out of trouble). Good luck !!!

Reactions: 1 users
Does the independent offer health insurance, 401k, and vacation? If the benefits are not much worse than CVS I would take the independent job and save some money in case their business dries up.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few things that you may want to consider. If the independent Pharmacy is giving you 32 hrs/wk max, but 32 hours guaranteed every week, then it may be a better choice. You said the environment is good and the staff is good. In addition, you will work at only one location, no extra gas expenses, no stressful commute. On the other hand, CVS' full time definition is 32 hours per week, NOT 40. Therefore, the job being offered at CVS is no different than the one offered by the independent in terms of hours. You may want to consider that as a CVS Floater, you will work at different locations every day and you commute time may vary from 10 minutes to 3 hours plus, depending on your work location - big or small city. Gas expenses and a stressful commute may get to you at some point. Also, being a Floater at CVS, whether is a Core store or Inside Target, it can be like day and night. One day you may be working in a fairly pleasant location and another day at a location, in which you are just counting the minutes for your shift to be over to run home. A CVS inside Target is somewhat more relaxed than a CVS core, being the major plus not having a drive thru. The script count is definitely lower, though now you have to do remote verification for other stores. If you happen to work in a well-run CVS Pharmacy inside Target, it could be a "relatively" great place to work at. Please note, that I said relatively, because if you decide to work for CVS, you are committing to abide and work under the hours budgeted for the store (be highly efficient), meet metric expectations (have full accountability), stay up-to-date with compliance and other demands from you particular RxM/DL (be proactive and stay out of trouble). Good luck !!!

Thanks for the detailed response. I really appreciate that.

I was trying to keep the 2 choices as cut and dry as possible but I think I should divulge a few more factors with the independent as to why I this may be a more difficult decision in some sense.

1) The independent is a 1hr commute each way. But this does not bother me too much. Something to consider but not a deal breaker.

2) I did a 3 day “audition” for them and so I was able to get a sense of their workflow and how they conduct themselves. They do some unconventional things that I think all independents could be accused of..not shady but maybe what I would call “sketchy”? A couple things that caught my eye was that they did almost no consultations even for new scripts. The owner/pharmacist wanted me to just bypass many of the DDI notifications on my QA step which I wasn’t comfortable doing (normally I would consult on some those). At least while I was there I didn’t have my own login (maybe that would change once I work there as a permanent). Now I want to be clear.. I don’t think they are doing shady business and the staff was very good and the owner-operator was friendly.

3) I feel that some of the way they operate puts my license at risk but maybe it’s just me being paranoid since my only experiences have been at retail locations where they have very clear policies & procedures in place to protect the patient, company, and you as a pharmacist.
Maybe I’m answering my own questions here. Hopefully that give a bit more insight into the situation.

Does the independent offer health insurance, 401k, and vacation? If the benefits are not much worse than CVS I would take the independent job and save some money in case their business dries up.

I don’t know yet. I have yet to go in and sign the formal offer. I just received the call from the owner who said they’d like to hire me and to come in to sign paperwork. A couple hours later I get a call from the DM for cvs/target but couldn’t pick up. I replied to another person regarding some additional factors. I thought before I received these offer I would have 100% went with an independent but now have some reservations.

Have a friend who has worked at Target CVS since before CVS bought them. She says it was an easy job before CVS bought them, and it's still an easy job now. The hardest adjustment was having to hear the annoying "one pharmacy call" robo voice.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel that some of the way they operate puts my license at risk but maybe it’s just me being paranoid since my only experiences have been at retail locations where they have very clear policies & procedures in place to protect the patient, company, and you as a pharmacist.
Maybe I’m answering my own questions here. Hopefully that give a bit more insight into the situation.

I have to agree with you. Any corporation, Walmart, Walgreens, Rite Aid or in this case, CVS has tons of policies & procedures in place to protect the patient and company, but most important, think about YOU, being protected as a pharmacist. Wherever you go, the amount of work that you are expected to do is above expectations. And UNLESS you have policies and procedures in place, good technology to process prescriptions and to document drug interactions and patients consultations, you may end working in a place with fear of being caught in a situation in which you did not apply BOP professional standards.

401K, Health insurance and vacations are a great deal. Benefits are being reduced everywhere. These are usually the deal breakers, provided that commute and hours guaranteed are the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Ive worked at cvs, cvs inside target and indies. Indies can vary depending on owner/management. If the owner is great and pharmacy is well organized, then indie probably is the best choice. Cvs in target isnt THAT much better than reg cvs bc of the metrics. You would think itd be different but nope. I had a home store which i worked 32 hours and floated at least one day to other target stores. There were times when i only had ONE tech for 4 hours during my shift. Rest of the time, i was alone. Probably the worst experience i had as a pharmacist.

I have a few job offers one from an independent who pays well and is giving me a max of 32 hrs/wk. Job conditions are good and staff is good. I also have an offer for CVS Target which is a full-time float position with guaranteed hours. I was curious what you’ve heard, or better, what you’ve experienced working for a CVS inside target location? I hear it’s better than working at an actual CVS location since there’s no drive thru and script count is somewhat lower but curious to hear what you guys think. There’s pros and cons to both. I’ve heard a lot of negatives primarily for working for CVS but not too much for the CVS within Target locations. I’m going to respectfully ask that you keep the replies focused to what I asked and please do not answer about how great it was before CVS took over as this does not help in my decision. TIA
it is slower in a Target. the downside is little birds have whispered things in my ear leading me to believe within the next 5 years all cvs targets will be closed with them moving the client lists to standalone CVSs.

Ask about minimum hours at the independent as well.

Based on my work experience independent >> CVS. I have not worked at CVS target, but I assume CVS target > CVS.

In summary:
independent >> CVS target > CVS

But to be fair, three pharmacist I know left an independent because hospital >> independent (two of which had left CVS for the independent previously because independent >> CVS).

Good luck.

Most of the factors that made CVS in Target more pleasant than CVS Core have been eliminated at this point (more tech help, fancy bottles, RPh overlap). However, there are still some that aren't likely to change. The biggest three are:

1. Volume: CVS in Target on average has significantly lower volume than CVS core (by a lot). But, this means you're more likely to work by yourself the majority of the time. Your call on which is better.
2. Talent: The CVS people are going to hate me for this one, but techs and RPhs that worked at Target pharmacy (before CVS) were mostly stolen from the chains. That means CVS and WAGS trains them, gives them experience, and then Target steals them and pays them more. Therefore, the techs and pharmacists you work with at CVS in Target are more likely to be high performing. I learned this through swapping pharmacy stories with friends and was blown away by the difference in quality of technicians. CVS more or less hires the bottom of the barrel and most of them suck. If they got lucky and hired a smart one, they'll use their smart brain and realize that being a tech at CVS is a **** gig and leave.
3. Leadership: From what I've heard, Target leadership style was more of a cheerleader. CVS Core leadership style is more mob style scare tactics. All in all the result is a totally different culture. Even though they're now the same company, their leadership is still separate all up to VP.

In general, I would agree with other's assessment that CVS in Target > CVS Core to work for.

Reactions: 2 users
it is slower in a Target. the downside is little birds have whispered things in my ear leading me to believe within the next 5 years all cvs targets will be closed with them moving the client lists to standalone CVSs.

Who are the birds? I've not heard this at all

I'm stuck with the same situation between CVS/Target and independent (retail+compounding+hospice)

I had applied to CVS/target a month ago and just now received an invitation to interview with the DM a few hours after I accepted the indie offer (32 hrs/wk minimum, no 401k, no paid PTO for the first year, but I get to learn about compounding and hospice)

I'm so torn if I should still interview with CVS/target since I really liked the vibe I was getting from the pharmacy manager who phone interviewed me and the DM.

CVS/target
Pros: 401k, paid PTO, potentially better job security/stability?
Cons: don't get to learn new skills, metrics, big corporate politics?

Independent
Pros: Get to learn new skills, less politics, more flexibility
Cons: no benefits, maybe less job security?

Please help!

What are they offering in terms of salary?

I ended up accepting the indie offer at 60/hr x 32 hrs/wk, since the three letter DM just flaked on me and never responded back to my calls after they called me to set up an in person interview. It's ok, it's not like I'm dying to work for them anyway.

I never worked for an indie before this though. Still adjusting to the small business mentality. I enjoy learning new skills in compounding and LTC but can't help worrying about job security since they haven't taken down the job posting yet - they can pretty much let me go whenever for whatever reason right?