Continue or quit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CYNTO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an rph looking for work for the past 6 months. However, in the interim, i am also doing an online bsn program which will be finished 12/21. Should I continue this program to finish orstop and keep looking for job? ( fyi, I am acquiring more loans to my 200k pharmd loans)

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Why not do both? Keep schooling and looking for jobs?

Reactions: 1 users
Why not do both? Keep schooling and looking for jobs?
That is what am currently doing. Just wanted to make sure I am track and not wasting time and money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can do both. It’s a good idea to try to get out of the profession. There’s no job security anymore, even if you happen to find a pharmacist job. I know pharmacists that are working prn or part time while pursuing other degrees.

I am an rph looking for work for the past 6 months. However, in the interim, i am also doing an online bsn program which will be finished 12/21. Should I continue this program to finish orstop and keep looking for job? ( fyi, I am acquiring more loans to my 200k pharmd loans)

You should do whatever helps you achieve your goals. I would quit looking for pharmacist position and make my goal nursing. Compared to many nurses you will be ahead in terms of credentials consider nurse management.

nurses make more than pharmacists these days and the demand is higher

nurses make more than pharmacists these days and the demand is higher
yes the demand is higher, but other than exceptional circumstances a RN does not make more than a RPh - maybe if you are a part time Rph and you compare to a RN who works weekend nights, with OT, but as far as apples to apples hourly wages a Rph is going to make roughly 2x more (maybe slightly less than that now)

yes the demand is higher, but other than exceptional circumstances a RN does not make more than a RPh - maybe if you are a part time Rph and you compare to a RN who works weekend nights, with OT, but as far as apples to apples hourly wages a Rph is going to make roughly 2x more (maybe slightly less than that now)
Yeah it definitely depends on the area, RN in norCal definitely makes more than Rph. According to this site clinical RN start around 55/hr and can go up to 96/hr

Yeah it definitely depends on the area, RN in norCal definitely makes more than Rph. According to this site clinical RN start around 55/hr and can go up to 96/hr
base wages? not counting OT, shift dif, or other incentive pay? wow - that is crazy. A new grad RN at my hospital makes mid 20's - a RPh starts at 50ish. Experienced in both are higher

but how hard is it to break in to these good UC and Kaiser jobs?

I remember googling these contracts when I was almost going to quit RX school, but decided I didn't want to move to CA

Are you sure you aren't referring to nurse practitioners?

Members don't see this ad :)

The site you linked has a staff pharmacist starting at 70 going up to 90 per hour....so they're still not making more than the pharmacists in that area.

The site you linked has a staff pharmacist starting at 70 going up to 90 per hour....so they're still not making more than the pharmacists in that area.
You can't get the job there as rph so what's the point?

RN in CA makes anywhere from 45-85/hr, it depends who hires you and yrs of experience.

I would keep doing both. But the end goal should be to get out of pharmacy. The working conditions remind me of plantation slaves. I looked at the local slave shop (chain) and now they have the RPh doing flu and shots and covid testing. Plus the other stuff related to filling prescriptions. And never enough help. I left Pharmacy years ago. Never realized how poorly I was treated until I left the slave shop.

I would keep doing both. But the end goal should be to get out of pharmacy. The working conditions remind me of plantation slaves. I looked at the local slave shop (chain) and now they have the RPh doing flu and shots and covid testing. Plus the other stuff related to filling prescriptions. And never enough help. I left Pharmacy years ago. Never realized how poorly I was treated until I left the slave shop.

Yeah, they treat people like this because they can get away with it. They know fully well that they have the power to squeeze every bit of life and soul out of you, and you can't do a damn thing about it because you need the job and the only alternative is to gamble yet another 4-8 years of your life + more debt into more education and training in hopes that you can find a better job elsewhere. That is one hell of a gamble that they know that most people won't take.

Yeah, they treat people like this because they can get away with it. They know fully well that they have the power to squeeze every bit of life and soul out of you, and you can't do a damn thing about it because you need the job and the only alternative is to gamble yet another 4-8 years of your life + more debt into more education and training in hopes that you can find a better job elsewhere. That is one hell of a gamble that they know that most people won't take.
I’ll take it.

With how things are with COVID, I have realized what a mistake it is to go into healthcare and in order to be a health care professional you really need to be able to put the patient first. With all the uncertainties with COVID and it will eventually past. As a hospital worker, I never felt less appreciated for what I do and it has become very apparent at the end of the day I am just a body that is needed to fill a shift with no exceptions.

Good luck!!

With how things are with COVID, I have realized what a mistake it is to go into healthcare and in order to be a health care professional you really need to be able to put the patient first. With all the uncertainties with COVID and it will eventually past. As a hospital worker, I never felt less appreciated for what I do and it has become very apparent at the end of the day I am just a body that is needed to fill a shift with no exceptions.

Good luck!!
I think no matter where you end up work it's all same game except the divine intervention of God. I felt same way when I was the rx manager for CVS. Not and wasn't appreciated no matter how heard I tried to improve their so called Metrix score.

I think no matter where you end up work it's all same game except the divine intervention of God. I felt same way when I was the rx manager for CVS. Not and wasn't appreciated no matter how heard I tried to improve their so called Metrix score.
I don’t know. I know most places just care about the bottom line, but my friend who is an engineer at Boeing says he loves his job. His employer treats them really well. And they can work from home.

So what was your alternative, if you don't mind me asking?

That is true but full time pharmacists only get 30-32 hours these days, part time and per diem anywhere from 0-30. Nurses almost always get the opportunity to do overtime, nights, weekends, pickup holidays etc.

That is true but full time pharmacists only get 30-32 hours these days, part time and per diem anywhere from 0-30. Nurses almost always get the opportunity to do overtime, nights, weekends, pickup holidays etc.
hence why I asked to compare apples to apples (not shift dif, OT, etc) - just per hour rate - but ya - I agree if you "work the system" correctly, you can make more if you are a RPh not getting full time hours. Just makes me even more thankful I make what I make

I'm wondering why you can't find a job? You are an experienced pharmacist and even have manager experience? Are you limiting your job search in some way?

hence why I asked to compare apples to apples (not shift dif, OT, etc) - just per hour rate - but ya - I agree if you "work the system" correctly, you can make more if you are a RPh not getting full time hours. Just makes me even more thankful I make what I make

That's like saying a piano teacher makes more than a pharmacist cause they charge $100/hr. But the piano teacher isn't getting 40 consistent hours every week.

Apples to apples would be a pharmacist getting full time 40 hours and the option to pick up as much overtime as they please. This opportunity doesn't exist for 99% of new pharmacists. You have to compare realistic scenarios.

Maybe in retail. Hoapital is almost always 40/wk

If you're lucky enough to get a job. I was per diem for 2 years at a hospital, a full time spot never opened up.

Nursing is way better than the pharmacy profession. I feel like a sucker with my gigantic loans and high interest rates.

Nursing is way better than the pharmacy profession. I feel like a sucker with my gigantic loans and high interest rates.
How bad is the loan and what is the rate? I hope its federal

Nursing is good. My soapbox advice: Go back to RN school next semester. Take out max federal loan, even if not needed. PSLF all that on your RN wages, done in 10 years. EASY!

How bad is the loan and what is the rate? I hope its federal

Nursing is good. My soapbox advice: Go back to RN school next semester. Take out max federal loan, even if not needed. PSLF all that on your RN wages, done in 10 years. EASY!
thx for your input.