Quit or not to quit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farmgurl20

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I ended up failing my CPJE, this was my first attempt. So chain took away my offer. Should I just quit? They are allowing me to work with intern pay for sometime. Basically they want me to find something on my own and I guess quit.

Should I do it? I was thinking to get licensed in another state ASAP and do Internal transfer? I thought may be it’s better than quitting completely then applying as outsider.

Please share your thoughts, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you want some money or no money? I wouldn’t quit personally.

My experience has been it’s easier to find a job when you have a job.

Reactions: 9 users
Where would you get licensed?

Google search results (est population 2019):

California population 39.51 million

Oregon population 4.218 million
Washington population 7.615 million
Nevada population 3.08 million
Arizona population 7.279 million
New Mexico population 2.097 million
Idaho population 1.787 million
Colorado population 5.759 million
Montana population 1.069 million
Wyoming population 578,759

California has a higher population than all the other listed states combined.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they care if you quit. As a grad intern, you can do their flu shots at half the cost. It is up to you. If scheduler/DM give you unacceptable schedule with bad work conditions, then I might quit.

Do you want some money or no money? I wouldn’t quit personally.

My experience has been it’s easier to find a job when you have a job.
I want money but I don’t think they are sure of keeping me. Plus they want me to work 40 hours and I have to study for CPJE so I can pass it next time. Will they black list me if I quit with 2 weeks notice?

I don't think they care if you quit. As a grad intern, you can do their flu shots at half the cost. It is up to you. If scheduler/DM give you unacceptable schedule with bad work conditions, then I might quit.
Yeah I don’t think they are sure of keeping me. Plus they want me to work full time, I need to study for CPJE so I can pass next time so I am bit hesitant. I was thinking to quit then apply in another state for same company. I am wondering if they gonna black list me Once I give my 2 weeks notice

Where would you get licensed?

Google search results (est population 2019):

California population 39.51 million

Oregon population 4.218 million
Washington population 7.615 million
Nevada population 3.08 million
Arizona population 7.279 million
New Mexico population 2.097 million
Idaho population 1.787 million
Colorado population 5.759 million
Montana population 1.069 million
Wyoming population 578,759

California has a higher population than all the other listed states combined.
Neighboring states lol Do you think I should do Internal transfer to another state cvs at this point or just quit and then apply fresh? I am afraid if they will black list me once I quit.

I want money but I don’t think they are sure of keeping me. Plus they want me to work 40 hours and I have to study for CPJE so I can pass it next time. Will they black list me if I quit with 2 weeks notice?

No you won’t be black listed. But you will always have an advantage being employed over unemployed.

I guess this is a case of needing to know yourself. Personally I would not be able to study effectively for an exam with all that extra time. It would make me lazy and unmotivated. Frankly I think working is an advantage over not working for studying the law exam. But only you know what your needs are for studying and succeeding.

Reactions: 5 users
No you won’t be black listed. But you will always have an advantage being employed over unemployed.

I guess this is a case of needing to know yourself. Personally I would not be able to study effectively for an exam with all that extra time. It would make me lazy and unmotivated. Frankly I think working is an advantage over not working for studying the law exam. But only you know what your needs are for studying and succeeding.
Yeah I couldn’t study before that lead me into this failure so I want to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Believe I do want to work and stay in system but at the same time I am worried if I fail again, I will waste more time and lose pharmacist pay.

Very good thinking. If you have your AZ, cross into Yuma for a job but don’t leave yours without transferring. Being unemployed is cancer given the likely economy right now.
Yep I have yet to take their law exam though.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you say they are paying you with intern pay, I you referring to Intern or Grad Intern pay? If they are paying you Grad intern pay with 40 hrs a week, there's a good chance they will want to keep you after you pass your exam. If you're getting just intern pay, they may just be using you as more labor for a discounted price lol.

Last edited:
When you say they are paying you with intern pay, I you referring to Intern or Grad Intern pay? If they are paying you Grad intern pay with 40 hrs a week, there's a good chance they will want to keep you after you pass your exam. If you're getting just intern pay, they may just be using you as more labor for a discounted price lol.
Yep they paying me 6th year intern and I know they are using me for cheaper price that’s why I am debating lol

Yep they paying me 6th year intern and I know they are using me for cheaper price that’s why I am debating lol

I don't know how close you are to your pharmacy manager or managers at other stores but sometimes they know information because they talk with supervisor about potential hires within in the district and they like to shift staffs into different stores.

Personally I would not be able to study effectively for an exam with all that extra time. It would make me lazy and unmotivated. Frankly I think working is an advantage over not working for studying the law exam. But only you know what your needs are for studying and succeeding.
I am the same way. And I think back - when I used to have a full-time job, a part-time job and went to school nights, I had just as much 'fun' time as I do now when I only have one fulll-time job, AND my house was cleaner and more organized because I was more organized with my time.

And as far as studying goes... I feel that if you don't know the material because you haven't been studying during your four years of school, it doesn't matter how much time you spend studying now, you won't catch up because your brain doesn't have the structure that could help you remember concepts, it become all rote memorizations of disconnected pieces of information. And if you do know the material, just need to review well-forgotten stuff, learn some finer points that weren't relevant before, etc. you don't need to spend 10 hours a day with books, you will just drive yourself nuts. Not to mention that brain goes into information overload and by the endo f the day you would be staring at the page without comprehending anyway. I always feel that nerves are responsible for far more failing scores than lack of knowledge... So I would continue working, while working, every time I touch a drug, I would mentally review what I would need to know about the drug, see that I actually do know most of the stuff, and at night spend an hour a day reviewing what I identified as things I don't actually know or remember, and then put in 3- 4 hour of studying a day on weekends. Though of course it is ultimately @Farmgurl20 decision.

Reactions: 3 users
Another way to "study" the law would be to ask your pharmacist or PIC to show you the compliance box (EVERYTHING in this box comes straight out of the law), show you how they order C2s, how they file scripts, etc etc. Law for the most part is not some esoteric concept that you will never have to deal with after you get a license, literally most every part of your job is going to be dictated by the law.

When you are typing controls scripts, why does the system limit you to typing 5 refills? Because that is the law.

Why can't you type refills for C2s? The law.

Why can't you fill a script that is over a year old? The law.

Why can't you fill a control substance for a presciber without a DEA #? The law.

Of course all my examples are based on state law but I tried to make them as broad as possible.

I could go on and on but my point is that if you know your pharmacy's policies and procedures chance are you already have a really good head start on understanding the law. Frankly I never understood how people study the law without working. It's too much to remember if you don't deal with it all the time already.

Reactions: 1 users
You wouldn't be able to license in CA anyway, it would be a held or post revoke (CA's terrible like that) if you had completed a score transfer and not your primary.

wait what? I have put AZ as primary and did score transfer for CA. I was referring AZ law exam that I haven’t taken yet.

Another way to "study" the law would be to ask your pharmacist or PIC to show you the compliance box (EVERYTHING in this box comes straight out of the law), show you how they order C2s, how they file scripts, etc etc. Law for the most part is not some esoteric concept that you will never have to deal with after you get a license, literally most every part of your job is going to be dictated by the law.

When you are typing controls scripts, why does the system limit you to typing 5 refills? Because that is the law.

Why can't you type refills for C2s? The law.

Why can't you fill a script that is over a year old? The law.

Why can't you fill a control substance for a presciber without a DEA #? The law.

Of course all my examples are based on state law but I tried to make them as broad as possible.

I could go on and on but my point is that if you know your pharmacy's policies and procedures chance are you already have a really good head start on understanding the law. Frankly I never understood how people study the law without working. It's too much to remember if you don't deal with it all the time already.
i agree but CPJE is not technically law exam it’s 90 % clinica, it’s like naplex 2.0 but way harder and random.

wait what? I have put AZ as primary and did score transfer for CA. I was referring AZ law exam that I haven’t taken yet.

So what happens when you finalize a pass in both is that they go back to NABP. If CA is not your primary state, the license will not be issued until your primary state send the ok. And I know AZ will not as they continually gripe about Californians using them as the backup license option and do a crap job with the paperwork. Even if you finish the requirements for CA first, you have to get the AZ license for a score transfer to be valid.

Reactions: 1 user
So what happens when you finalize a pass in both is that they go back to NABP. If CA is not your primary state, the license will not be issued until your primary state send the ok. And I know AZ will not as they continually gripe about Californians using them as the backup license option and do a crap job with the paperwork. Even if you finish the requirements for CA first, you have to get the AZ license for a score transfer to be valid.
I see, thank you for that heads up. I had no clue about that.

I don't think they will blacklist you either BUT I can't see you being rehired within a short time frame by the same company if you quit.

I don't think they will blacklist you either BUT I can't see you being rehired within a short time frame by the same company if you quit.
Why is that? I was in talks in with one DM and he said he can take me once I pass exam but this was some time back so I think I may have some chance.

Listen, just stick with the company unless you have some sort of connection to another employer. they've already expended labor in training you this far so I can't see them letting you go without at least giving you a part-time floater position (if you pass your exam). You have slim to no chance of getting a job elsewhere if you quit and stay unemployed while trying to pass your exam... and the longer you go unemployment-status, the more difficult it'll be to be considered for a job.

Reactions: 6 users
Why is that? I was in talks in with one DM and he said he can take me once I pass exam but this was some time back so I think I may have some chance.

You think it looks good to quit and come back as you please few months apart? I guess if they need a warm body and desperate for coverage, they will do anything. It happened before.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Very good thinking. If you have your AZ, cross into Yuma for a job but don’t leave yours without transferring. Being unemployed is cancer given the likely economy right now.
" Being unemployed is cancer given the likely economy right now "

I'm not in love with that analogy. Just saying friend! <3

I wouldnt care about being blacklisted by any of these companies. They are not viable long term solutions to employment. Pretty much all of us will lose the job at some point due to something. You expect to hold one of these jobs for 20-30 years get a gold watch and enjoy retirement? It's quick cash until you figure an exit strategy. Not only are they dropping your salary, but they treat you like dirt, then toss you away like a used rubber. go ahead "black list" me. lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I wouldnt care about being blacklisted by any of these companies. They are not viable long term solutions to employment. Pretty much all of us will lose the job at some point due to something. You expect to hold one of these jobs for 20-30 years get a gold watch and enjoy retirement? It's quick cash until you figure an exit strategy. Not only are they dropping your salary, but they treat you like dirt, then toss you away like a used rubber. go ahead "black list" me. lol.

Hey man where ya been? Miss your posts!

Soze -blast from the past! You still at Walmart?

Hey man where ya been? Miss your posts!
lol, yeah man.... left CO came back home, been super busy for months relocating. . just relaxing with the wife right now. keeping my eyes open here and there. It's a mess down here.....i had walgreens offer me 44.25 an hour to relocate across the state for a 32/hr spot. So i jumped on here to see if this was legit....uh.... yeah it is....lol. we have talked about this happening years ago..... and it's really happening. sad,

lol, yeah man.... left CO came back home, been super busy for months relocating. . just relaxing with the wife right now. keeping my eyes open here and there. It's a mess down here.....i had walgreens offer me 44.25 an hour to relocate across the state for a 32/hr spot. So i jumped on here to see if this was legit....uh.... yeah it is....lol. we have talked about this happening years ago..... and it's really happening. sad,

Wow! You left your high paying job at Walmart?

Wow! You left your high paying job at Walmart?

Yep, two weeks notice and split...I just got tired. We have a nice cushion so we will be fine no matter what happens.

1602860717866.png

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone,

So I ended up failing my CPJE, this was my first attempt. So chain took away my offer. Should I just quit? They are allowing me to work with intern pay for sometime. Basically they want me to find something on my own and I guess quit.

Should I do it? I was thinking to get licensed in another state ASAP and do Internal transfer? I thought may be it’s better than quitting completely then applying as outsider.

Please share your thoughts, thanks.

Chain took away your offer? that's a red flag right there. These chains could care less about waiting another 90 days so you can prepare , pass and be a successful employee with them. They could if they wanted to, but they wont. What does that tell you about your long term outlook with this company? (or any other for that matter). One slip and they want you to quit.... nice people huh? and it only gets worse from there.....

Yep, two weeks notice and split...I just got tired. We have a nice cushion so we will be fine no matter what happens.

Wishing you the best in whatever you ultimately decide to do. Personally, I want to start my own business, be my own boss, hire all my former (and current) techs, none of that MLM crap though.

Wishing you the best in whatever you ultimately decide to do. Personally, I want to start my own business, be my own boss, hire all my former (and current) techs, none of that MLM crap though.

I always LoL when people on FB say "I run a home business" then I click on their profile and it says they sell Rodan and Fields.

Completely understand the sentiment. Once my net worth hits enough to meet the 4% rule, I shall do the same. Only ~10 years to go...

Remember Monty Python and the "Holy Hand Grenade"? What's needed here is the "Pharmaceutical 2x4" to use on anyone who thinks that flogging pills is gonna be quite the career.. LISTEN UP...It's high speed drudgery..it used to pay well..but now it doesn't....... If they even ax the question...fetch the "pharmceutical 2 x 4" Quick

That makes me nervous, what happens if you have a major down year that stays down for an extended period?

I don't plan to quit *all* work. But I'm going to take a long break from pharmacy for sure. The plan is to quit for a short time and then maybe convert to part time or PRN if there's still any jobs...

That makes me nervous, what happens if you have a major down year that stays down for an extended period?

That’s the point of the 4% rule. It’s highly, highly conservative. There has never been a point in the last 60 years (100 years? Whatever) where 4% wasn’t enough to retire on. It’s basically inconceivable that it wouldn’t be enough.

I haven't really read up on the % rule, thanks. We really just started investing more after my spouse got near finishing medical fellowship this year. Before that we just paid did max 401k, hsa and roth.

disclaimer: I don’t know what I’m talking about and I’m just regurgitating other people’s talking points

but I’ve watched a few videos on YouTube so I’m basically an expert and that’s what all the videos say ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I haven't really read up on the % rule, thanks. We really just started investing more after my spouse got near finishing medical fellowship this year. Before that we just paid did max 401k, hsa and roth.

The tricky part about the 4% rule is that it assumes that you never spend more than a set amount each year. So, if you decide that $750k net worth is your target, this means you can't ever spend more than $30k per year. And I'm not certain if spending less than that before or after exceeding the annual threshold can make up for your losses, because the 4% rule is also assuming that your entire net worth is invested into a 50/50 portfolio of stocks and bonds and assuming that you are getting returns from it.

My current expenses amount to only ~$20k/year, but this will get higher with medical costs. So, I'm planning my annual threshold to be $40k/year (in present value dollars), with maybe a part-time job to offset costs that might unexpectedly exceed the threshold.

That’s the point of the 4% rule. It’s highly, highly conservative. There has never been a point in the last 60 years (100 years? Whatever) where 4% wasn’t enough to retire on. It’s basically inconceivable that it wouldn’t be enough.

That makes sense. Historical stock market return is 7-11% in the long run right? So 4% is only a fraction of that.

The 4% rule is like the 8 glasses of water a day, it was conceived to be accessible but not perfect.

60 years IF kept in the S&P, that rule was broken completely in the Great Depression, and the rule actually did not hold during the late 70s-80s given inflation but everyone's assets inflated correspondingly which was a major criticism of the 1994 original paper. The only reason why it held in 2008 was due to the Fed Reserve tampering. For the VA, this is of serious import for figuring out annuities. Ten years ago, I would have told you to buy the annuity as we all knew that MetLife actuaries screwed up hard (and annuities from that time period really did kill them).

This is what the FIRE folks are going to deal with, basically making an annuity at risk by their own knowledge. Much of it is job security dependent, if I were working for a right to work company, well, I'd work as long as I can as your retirement plan starts when the company lays you off (Korean style of retirement). If you are in a right to a job company like the government, find a retirement-in-place job and coast until then. I do suspect that most pharmacists are going to face the involuntary type of retirement.

Retirement on a cush pension or abundant savings is really a bourgeois concept out of reach for most people these days especially the younger generations. Imagine a zoomer having to work for a living thinking they will actually retire in the same fashion as a baby boomer.

Retirement on a cush pension or abundant savings is really a bourgeois concept out of reach for most people these days especially the younger generations. Imagine a zoomer having to work for a living thinking they will actually retire in the same fashion as a baby boomer.
You mean broke, in debt, and working longer than expected? I can see that in us and the Zoomers if you're talking even pharmacists.

• Sad