Conferences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peanutbutter45654

Reaction score
Hello! I am a first-year medical student who is interested in psychiatry. Are there any conferences you recommend attending during med school to network or just learn more about the field in general? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

APA annual meeting coming up in a month. Great place to start. Good luck in your journey!
+1. APA's Annual Meeting is the largest psychiatry conference in the world, and happens each Spring. It's dirt cheap for medical students and residents to attend. You can also look into getting APA membership for free as a medical student, which gets you access to the journals, discounted rates on the annual meeting, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll third the annual APA meeting as a good intro for med students. One caveat, make sure you're signing up for the annual American Psychiatric Association meeting and not the annual American Psychological Association convention. The latter is still a big conference, but will be far less relevant and more confusing for a med student without a solid psychology background.

Reactions: 1 users
Would put a plug in for APA's Mental Health Services Conference if you're interested in community psychiatry, care for the underserved, etc. Much smaller meeting than big APA but a more tight knit community, and it's easy to connect with like minded folks if that's your jam. Happening next in October 2023: The 2023 Mental Health Services Conference

Reactions: 2 users
If you’re interested in child at all, AACAP is in October and much smaller than APA. I didn’t go as a med student but for resident, we could get free registration in exchange for proctoring a sessio.

Reactions: 1 users
You really can't go wrong as a medical student with either the APA meeting or the main subspecialty conferences.

ACLP is the main consultation-liaison meeting. It's a nice conference. Less overwhelming than the APA.

Reactions: 1 user