Attending subspecialty conferences during intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartsink

Medical student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched into psychiatry for the incoming 2024 cohort starting in July. I have long wanted to pursue forensic psychiatry even during undergrad, and I can see that while fellowships in general are not competitive, the more "prestigious" programs are getting more selective over time.

My program is not a big academic center and not terribly well known. It isn't exactly rural or community, but its also not in a major urban area and there won't be many resources for me to get a lot of forensic exposure locally.

If I want to be competitive for a forensic fellowship right after residency, I know I want to get involved in the AAPL conferences, but is intern year too early to start? Between step 3 and just getting my bearings alone in a new state, I'm worried my plate will be full this year.

Am I okay to wait until PGY2 to start going to these conferences if I want to shoot for a more competitive forensic program? What else should i be thinking of during residency in an area with few forensic resources?

Members don't see this ad.

You are okay to wait. Not going to hurt you.

The real metric, in several years you should use for picking a program is try to find one in the state you want to practice in long term. So logistically you'll be more familiar with the laws of that state. And you'll get a year to taste living in that state to see if you truly want to live there.

Recently I was a political refugee from one state to another due to the state passing laws that allowed the government to take your children from you, teach gender topics to kindergartners [too young!] and gender change your children without parental permission.

If the state you want to live in doesn't have fellowship, then pick the program that has least amount of call and most diverse training - even if it isn't a big name or have big name faculty.

In summary, be an intern, and get intern year done.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh goodness, intern year is QUITE ENOUGH as it is. Focus on being an intern! People aren't joking when they say it's A LOT!

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched into psychiatry for the incoming 2024 cohort starting in July. I have long wanted to pursue forensic psychiatry even during undergrad, and I can see that while fellowships in general are not competitive, the more "prestigious" programs are getting more selective over time.
Not sure this is true. Last yr was an unusually strong year for forensic applicants, this yr does not look like that will be the case (pretty weak actually).

I did not attend the AAPL meeting until I was a PGY-4 (though I didn't get interested in forensics until later in training). If you can attend as an intern, great, but very few interns will make it. Also attending a conference per se is not going to help you at all. If you get involved in AAPL committees, contribute to the newsletter, submit some posters or oral presentations, or get involved in panel presentations that will also be good. Publishing papers in the AAPL journal would also be a bonus. Presenting at APA and getting one of the APA fellowships and joining the Council on Psychiatry and Law would also be favorable. Try to do some forensic rotations and receive mentorship from forensic psychiatrists and get involved in some forensic projects.

At this stage of your career, attending subspecialty meetings is not about improving your chances of matching, it's about figuring out if you're interested in the field. That includes meeting people in the field from other institutions.

My subspecialty org is ACLP and we welcome both medical students and residents.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure this is true. Last yr was an unusually strong year for forensic applicants, this yr does not look like that will be the case (pretty weak actually).
heyyyyyyyy thought programs don't start reviewing apps until 5/1 :p