If I want to attend some (virtual?) Psych conferences, are the APA and the AACAP the most recommended?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

himomitsme

Reaction score
Pretty much question above. I want to network and attend some psych conferences even if it’s just virtually unfortunately. Are the APA and the AACAP the 2 big ones?

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much question above. I want to network and attend some psych conferences even if it’s just virtually unfortunately. Are the APA and the AACAP the 2 big ones?

I mean AACAP is going on right now for the next week and a half so you’re either registering now or you’re not. But yes if you’re interested in child psychiatry AACAP is the big one. Don’t know how high quality any “networking” is going to be this year though....

I mean AACAP is going on right now for the next week and a half so you’re either registering now or you’re not. But yes if you’re interested in child psychiatry AACAP is the big one. Don’t know how high quality any “networking” is going to be this year though....

Agreed, the APA has their next meeting May 2021 though which they are planning for in person in Los Angeles

Personally I didn't care for the two APA conferences that I went to... too big and I wasn't all that impressed with the talks that I attended.

If you're interested in academia, think about the AAP meeting. It's smaller and is very heavily focused on academic practice. If you're interested in a general psychiatry conference, I liked the American College of Psychiatrists annual meeting - again, much smaller than APA and I thought the quality of the talks was much greater (though also much less variety). I also really liked the ACLP annual meeting... even if you're not interested in C/L, I think a lot of the content of the conference is very easily applicable to general psychiatric practice.

Reactions: 2 users