Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
(30 mile 1-way drive through the metro area not great when you have a baby I've realized).

I have no idea what my hospital is doing to try to mitigate things. Whatever it is, really isn't working since we have been essentially hemorrhaging support staff and doctors. It's sad cause the hospital and staff are overall relatively great.
That's alot of loss, wow.
Yes 30 miles up there 1 way is crazy! Especially in any sort of traffic. I hated driving through there when we moved back and it was a sunday afternoon everything was still very busy with traffic. Good luck finding your ideal job closer to home! Itll be nice not having as long of a commute.

I found out like the week I was moving back that the other associate at the practice was going to be leaving so that was fun, her last day is the end of this month. Oh and she went on a 2 week vacation basically the week after I started so I was basically flying solo after 4 days. My poor boss is doing everything in his capabilities to keep me happy because he cant hold the fort on his own since he is committed to many other things. Thankfully we have some good support staff in place but looking for a few more people still. Desperately trying to find 1-2 more associates but I'm not holding my breath in this market and given our location and all the things we cant compete with against corporate and larger city based jobs. I'll be at this job for at least 2 years per my sign on bonus contingency, but the police is paying for hubbs to go to school this fall for the state certification with a service requirement pay back so I imagine we will be here for quite some time unless stuff hits the fan so we'll see🙃

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Ooof, that shortage reminder makes me glad I chose the job I did. I interviewed at 3 places in the area and chose a longer commute because, amongst other reasons, the practice had a great working atmosphere and a high staff retention rate. I still have a little over a month before starting, too, and they’re going to start me off slow since I’m a new grad.

Hope we all manage to tread water as new grads without drowning. Because man oh man this is a tough time to enter the field.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This next week is my last week on ONs (for this block at least) and I'm sad/happy about it. I've loved the amount of on my feet learning I've had to do and having to make decisions on my own. But also... I'm ready for a break and some senior guidance!
How have everyone's jobs been so far??!

For the amount of times I’ve heard people say they’ve never diagnosed an intussusception I’ve had a hell of a lot of them since graduating vet school…

In other delightful news, I am on ER currently and I left on time. It was a 10 hour day. On ER.

ETA: I’m legit stoked at leaving ER on time, 10 hour days are unicorns. No sarcasm there.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
For the amount of times I’ve heard people say they’ve never diagnosed an intussusception I’ve had a hell of a lot of them since graduating vet school…

In other delightful news, I am on ER currently and I left on time. It was a 10 hour day. On ER.
Eyyyy me too! I cut three in two months this winter, all necrotic as hell in the inside and requiring gnarly r&as. They definitely follow me.

Reactions: 1 user
Eyyyy me too! I cut three in two months this winter, all necrotic as hell in the inside and requiring gnarly r&as. They definitely follow me.
I’ve euthanized all of mine. Pretty sure both the last two were perfed and septic.

We had one recently (not my case) that when they got into surgery had multiple. They ended up having to take out 64cm of small intestine.

• Wow
Aight, so I'm trying to make sure I'm not throwing my money away since I've been trying to figure out my finances recently.

Which insurance options are a MUST HAVE for starting in the "real world" as a small animal GP? I know disability and professional liability are must-dos, but am unsure which supplier is best. TVPS is the one mentioned most but I got really pushy, "you need to buy this" vibes from them.

TVPS is the one mentioned most but I got really pushy, "you need to buy this" vibes from them.
I only got mine through TVPS because they did not require any medical underwriting if you bought it before graduation iirc. I have a trash heap for a back so I didn’t want to risk that being excluded at all. My actual plan with them is through Principal.

I have medical(Obv), long term disability NOT through work (iirc I’ve seen that if it’s through work you can lose it if you quit/are fired and they could technically fire you if you weren’t able to come back to work due to a long term disability), short term paid by work, malpractice through the work umbrella company (with license defense)

Reactions: 2 users
Aight, so I'm trying to make sure I'm not throwing my money away since I've been trying to figure out my finances recently.

Which insurance options are a MUST HAVE for starting in the "real world" as a small animal GP? I know disability and professional liability are must-dos, but am unsure which supplier is best. TVPS is the one mentioned most but I got really pushy, "you need to buy this" vibes from them.
I did not like tvps. I got separate plit even though my work has it. It's just so cheap

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at the premiums and is it REALLY only like $150 per year for the lowest amt????? That just seems so low it’s surprising 😂
Yeah I paid 240ish for the highest and license defense so now I don't feel like I have to worry if someone off -hand asks me a q cuz my work plit ONLY covers clients of that practice

Reactions: 1 users
I was looking at the premiums and is it REALLY only like $150 per year for the lowest amt????? That just seems so low it’s surprising

If you’re looking at them right now I know that AVMA PLIT pro-rates the annual premium, so in reality when it renews it will be more than what you pay now, just keep that in mind!

If you’re looking at them right now I know that AVMA PLIT pro-rates the annual premium, so in reality when it renews it will be more than what you pay now, just keep that in mind!
I wasn’t logged in but I believe further down the page it did talk about prorated amounts that were less than what I was initially seeing. Thank you though!!!! Hopefully the number I was seeing is actually the yearly premium

There was a fun poll running around the ER yesterday about the scariest resident and scariest faculty (everyone is generally very nice but there is always some people are intimidating at first). I asked today who the scariest intern is for the students and the resident's response was "To be honest, Fern, no one is ever scared of interns."

I asked a student today and the response was exactly that. We don't have the status for students to be scared of us lol.

As a student I was definitely nervous of some interns so that is hilarious.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
There was a fun poll running around the ER yesterday about the scariest resident and scariest faculty (everyone is generally very nice but there is always some people are intimidating at first). I asked today who the scariest intern is for the students and the resident's response was "To be honest, Fern, no one is ever scared of interns."

I asked a student today and the response was exactly that. We don't have the status for students to be scared of us lol.

I was nervous of interns when I started clinics because I was a third year student and they were at least halfway through internship already. On the other hand, I was never intimidated by the interns who started when I was a fourth year.

Me. I am the scariest resident :laugh:

eta: I forgot you moved schools lol. Still tho I'm scary

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Me. I am the scariest resident :laugh:

eta: I forgot you moved schools lol. Still tho I'm scary
I have been told that I am not the scariest resident but I am the kindest resident to the interns. It’s definitely not the badass ECC resident vibe I dreamed for but I’ll take it 😅

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I have been told that I am not the scariest resident but I am the kindest resident to the interns. It’s definitely not the badass ECC resident vibe I dreamed for but I’ll take it 😅
There’s nothing “badass” about being a scary a-hole. Trust me: your students respect you far more than the resident who makes their lives hell.

Reactions: 11 users
What up peeps? Bumping this because we're on the 3rd page!!
Super tired and burned out but learning a lot in my internship, just keeping on keeping on at this point. Officially accepted a residency position and don't have to move :D
Life's moving forward

• Love
That's awesome @MOOSEygoosey I am forever thankful for you ECC peeps that I can send my critical scary cases to if the people will drive 3hrs. Critical cases are not my happy place.

Overall life is good in the middle of no where. For those of you that don't know, when I accepted the position I expected to have another vet practicing with me 3/4 days of the week. Well about a month before starting I found out that person was going to be leaving ~1mo after starting so I ended up solo really only a couple days after starting because said associate went on vacation for 2 weeks. Boss had some serious medical issues come up so was also not around as much as originally planned. I always expected I'd be solo, just not necessarily solo quite so quickly. However, my boss is pretty great about being available by phone as much as possible and mentoring as much as he can with his limited physical abilites. There have definately been wins and losses. Overall though I love my team and think I may have very well found my forever practice, I guess time will tell. I work 4-4.5 days a week. I'm on call every other week but only until like 8pm so I can still sleep and relax. We hired a new vet who starts end of next month which is super exciting and he is going to be taking all the equine thank goodness:love:

I've also acquired two new puppers. One of which was the clinic reject so to say. He was going to be euthanized for hair loss (he's like 6mo old). So my boss said hey why don't you just surrender him instead. One bravecto later he has hair back and after about a month of living in the clinic he came to live with me permanently because him and the dog we tried from the shelter bonded like two peas in a pod. So now they go to work with me everyday otherwise they will destroy my house while my old lady gets to stay home in peace.

Best thing this week has been watching my clients reaction to my black eye that my mal/shepx gave me because she was so excited to go home.:lol:

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
When you become exceptionally attached to your long-term inpatient despite the fact that is has a moderately high likelihood of having badness hiding in there.
Dangermeme.jpg

He's just such a cool cat. Everyone has fallen for his charms.

• Care
When you become exceptionally attached to your long-term inpatient despite the fact that is has a moderately high likelihood of having badness hiding in there.
View attachment 364441
He's just such a cool cat. Everyone has fallen for his charms.
Annndddddd he's going home tomorrow! He's doing great. Still don't know for sure that there isn't cancer hiding in there but it is a fantastic win. :)

• Love
Rotating internship over, minus catching up on about 100 records.

So thankful it's finally done. I faceplanted my way to the finish and have been in a state of basically continual mental crisis for the last month. Now to finish records, leave this place in the past, heal, and hope that my residency is a completely different work environment or I will probably be out of the profession within a year.

(Already doing better, today is the first day in a while I didn't wake up crying and I was able to look at the EMR outstanding records without hyperventilating)

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
To further my 1+ year celebration I got asked to buy into and probably eventually buy out the practice. O said only 1 of 2 associates he hasever considered partnering with. I feel very honored. Also a huge decision to consider:unsure:

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
I was offered an ECC residency at a pending new program. If it gets approved, looks like I’ll be specializing after all!
Enjoying time as an associate ER doc in the mean time. I hope everyone is finding satisfaction in what they’re doing.

• Love
Rescuing from page 5😱
Still at my same first job with no plans to leave. Probs going to buy in. Solo doing it again has been fun. Interviewed a 2024 grad who seemed lovely but has a few offers so we will see.

Otherwise hoping to do NYC and Honduras Julyish, Japan in Sept. Then MAYBE back to Europe for the Christmas markets in December. Lots TBD. Excited for summer to hit the ponds again on my SUP with my pup.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

I’m at my second job and have been here a bit over a year and it’s a much better fit for me than my first one 🥰
Also hope everyone else is doing good and enjoying their current job!

• Love
Currently finishing up 1st year of ECC residency at the hospital that I did my internship at (was offered the spot outside of match). Exhausted and burnt out and worried about boards but this is what I want to do so just gotta keep hacking it :)

• Care
Reactions: 7 users