Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'm really glad our reception staff is trained to ask about when people are expecting to travel. and if it's less than 30 days away, they come ask a doctor if it's going to work.
Thank you for that!! Honestly that’s a lot better than most clinics.

We’ve had people show up at our office with their pets, and they haven’t even seen an accredited vet first. They just show up and expect the USDA office to do everything? And they typically get very upset when we explain the process to them and tell them we can’t help them until they go to a vet clinic first. I only worked there last summer and over winter break and this happened like 8 times. 😬

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Eqsx has 2 students. Currently about 9 inpatients and we had 3 day appts show up basically at the same time.
Eqmed has 6 students about 10 inpatients with at least 3 of them being mares along for the ride with baby. They had 3 or so day appts as well.

Somewhere along the line someone had the audacity and thought they'd try refusing a recheck med case and tells my classmate their case load is too busy to get us to do the paperwork 🙄 please all 6 of you are standing around working up one case meanwhile sx students are running around all day like a chicken with its head cut off.

Only 4 more real days...🙃

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just had to euthanize my dog after a really quick and unexpected bout of cancer. He seemed fine last monday but then by friday we diagnosed an adrenal tumor and by wednesday this week he quickly accelerated to being oxygen dependent before he was about to be induced for a CTA. I'm utterly heartbroken. I adopted him during first year of vet school and I never thought he wouldn't be around when I graduated. He was my best friend and I don't know what to do with myself.
1650588354175.png

• Care
Reactions: 26 users
I just had to euthanize my dog after a really quick and unexpected bout of cancer. He seemed fine last monday but then by friday we diagnosed an adrenal tumor and by wednesday this week he quickly accelerated to being oxygen dependent before he was about to be induced for a CTA. I'm utterly heartbroken. I adopted him during first year of vet school and I never thought he wouldn't be around when I graduated. He was my best friend and I don't know what to do with myself.
View attachment 353718
I’m so sorry, MOOSEy. Sending you hugs.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted thus far! Was looking at c/o 2020&2021 and we are behind on starting our thread! So to start us off...View attachment 229278
I remember when Mixy posted this. So much excitement and anticipation! Now here we are! 4 more days with graduation on Friday!!! My license is in process, my paperwork finished at work, and my signing bonus deposited! It's soooooo close I can taste it 😋

Reactions: 12 users
I remember when Mixy posted this. So much excitement and anticipation! Now here we are! 4 more days with graduation on Friday!!! My license is in process, my paperwork finished at work, and my signing bonus deposited! It's soooooo close I can taste it 😋
1.5 more rotations for us, 25 days until graduation, I'm so freaking ready! License stuff is definitely dumb but here we are lol
Ready to start being paid (internship actually pays pretty nicely), and ready to go and fly (definitely will fall a few times during internship but I'm done feeling like my wings are clipped). Let's do this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone for making it as far as we have! We are (almost) there! I can't wait to see what the future holds for everyone, especially for our first year in practice.

1 more rotation left! Graduation is a month away. License paperwork/exam is done, waiting for that diploma to actually complete everything! Hoping to get my internship schedule sometime soon (rumor is I start on overnight ECC 😶)

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I have 3 more days this week (personal day Friday!) and then next week off and graduation next Friday!! (Because of course I’m graduating on Friday the 13th 😂)

• Haha
My last rotation is at my new job, and I just started today! Im so excited to be out of student mode <3

Reactions: 10 users
I've been working as an ER doctor for the last few weeks at a few of the referral centers I used to work at during vet school.

I've really been enjoying it; it is making me begin to question (yet again) if ECC residency is what I want over general ER work. I'm surprised at how comfortable I have been with it so far; obviously I make mistakes and the learning curve is big but I have yet to feel like I am too incompetent to be doing what I'm doing. Really helps that both hospitals have a fantastic set of ER docs that have been giving me pretty great mentorship. I'm really going to miss them when I move for my internship.

Reactions: 8 users
I've been working as an ER doctor for the last few weeks at a few of the referral centers I used to work at during vet school.

I've really been enjoying it; it is making me begin to question (yet again) if ECC residency is what I want over general ER work. I'm surprised at how comfortable I have been with it so far; obviously I make mistakes and the learning curve is big but I have yet to feel like I am too incompetent to be doing what I'm doing. Really helps that both hospitals have a fantastic set of ER docs that have been giving me pretty great mentorship. I'm really going to miss them when I move for my internship.

I'm also struggling big over ECC residency vs ER after internship! It doesn't help there's not really one in the state and moving is less than ideal... would love to hear your thoughts over the next year 🥺

Reactions: 3 users
I was pretty excited for graduation and such....but then my parents called bout my dog on Sunday. Then today we found out my dad has the rona, so he can't come to graduation. Also my car has a concerning noise that started when I was driving today so I'm so excited to see what expensive thing broke. Makes all the flair and such less exciting. Glad at least that my mom can still come since she hasn't been around my dad lately, but it still sucks. Hopefully he will be better so he can join us for vacation after. Just a crappy week that shouldn't be.

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
I AM DONE. Last day of clinics was today!!!
I can't express how proud of you I am!! ❤ I remember when you texted me if it was okay to request me as your Big and my response was that I had already requested you as my Little. You're going to be an amazing GP!!!

• Love
I can't express how proud of you I am!! ❤ I remember when you texted me if it was okay to request me as your Big and my response was that I had already requested you as my Little. You're going to be an amazing GP!!!
💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys!
I posted in the Veterinary forum but I realized this group may be better for more up to date advice. I've started job hunting for a small animal veterinary associate position in the Toronto area. Many of the OVMA job postings are from the VCA hospitals. Does anyone have insight on the VCAs in the GTA area (pros/cons, corporate vs private) and what I should be on the lookout for in my contract as a new grad (in terms of typical full time/part time contract hours, salary, benefits, vacation time, sick days, insurance, compensation).

Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Also, congrats everyone :happy:

Congrats everyone!

Meanwhile, Moosey and I have a week left to go on clinics and another week afterwards until graduation. The burn out is REAL!

• Care
Today was the first time I had to sign something as "Dr." (disability insurance sign-up) and it felt SO WEIRD. Idk how to deal with this 😅

Reactions: 1 user
Today was the first time I had to sign something as "Dr." (disability insurance sign-up) and it felt SO WEIRD. Idk how to deal with this 😅
I’ve been a vet for seven years now and my mom still addresses cards to me as “Dr (my last name)”. It’s kind of cute. I have also caught myself before signing “Dr that redhead” on credit card receipts :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Sigh.

Originally I was supposed to go backpacking in New Zealand for 6 weeks after finishing rotations. Cancelled that in December since the borders weren't going to be open soon enough for me to hit major hiking season and instead decided to work ER for 6 weeks to bank $$ and then go visit a friend in Hawaii for a shorter trip instead. I would have been leaving for that tomorrow except I got Covid last week and now had to cancel my vacation. My celebratory time off before internship is me sitting alone and sad in my parent's house watching all my classmates travel on social media.

(Yes very much first world problems and I'm grateful all I lost due to Covid was my vacation and that I wasn't super sick. Still sucks though.)

• Care
Reactions: 17 users
The big walk with all the other colleges happened today and the vet class was freaking ROWDY in comparison to everyone else. We were hooting and hollering and waving our rectal sleeve balloons like crazy while everyone else was pretty docile. It was honestly very fun.

• Love
Anyone in FL that knows if there's a way to check if the DBPR has received our transcripts/diploma for licensing? Their online system is useless and there is no getting through to a real person on the phone 😅

Anyone in FL that knows if there's a way to check if the DBPR has received our transcripts/diploma for licensing? Their online system is useless and there is no getting through to a real person on the phone 😅
Do they have an email address? I know for MI there’s an email you can use for the BPL.