Chances of matching Orthopedics (from mid tier US MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OompaFloompa

Reaction score
Hi. I've had some health problems during med school and have been doing "average" on all my exams. Current MS3 with about a 3.30 GPA. Pretty abysmal. Step 1 P/F for us (I did pass).
With regards to research:
- I have 2 non-peer reviewed articles (I'm assuming these count as essentially nothing- they were for our school's website for patients to look at, not published anywhere official or anything like that)
- 1 poster (may get an abstract out of this? Also have another at my med school, but I'm assuming that one doesn't really count since it's not a real conference)
- 1 clinical research experience in the works but has been stalled for a year
- 2 case reports in the works

Of these, only one case report is in Ortho. Am currently desperately searching for ortho related research but there's none at my institution so kind of at a loss there

So the GPA is pretty rough and it's hard to say with Step1 being Pass/Fail- but does such a low GPA automatically preclude me from applying Ortho?

Members don't see this ad.

No it does not. GPA is not really looked upon since it can't be standardized. Many med schools are P/F or modified P/F or whatever.

Rock step 2 and see u in ortho.

gpa might not matter, but quartile does. how does this compare with your other classmates?