Vascular Surgery- No research. Chances of matching integrated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

au_raa92

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am a MS2 at a solid MD school that also has a home vascular program. I am pretty dead set on pursuing VS, and have made good connections with the residents and attendings at my home institution. I have been having trouble getting published. All of the case reports and abstracts have been stalled with no clear publication date. Am I looking at a research year in my future? I am willing to do what I have to do, but ideally, I'd rather start working immediately after graduating. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, just MS4 also applying vascular. I guess it depends on your goals, but unless you are like UPenn/Michigan or bust, a research year is almost always unnecessary. Keep working with your home faculty, see if you can submit case reports and other projects as abstracts to conferences. More opportunities will come up as long as you keep engaging with your home faculty