Can I keep up with running while in school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XCdpm02259

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I know this topic and several others like it have come up recently, but I really want to know if I will still be able to keep up my running while in Podiatry school. I really enjoy competing in races, and I run about 5-6 hours per week. Would this be hard to maintain, or do you think if I plan my time well enough it will be possible? Thanks in advance for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I know this topic and several others like it have come up recently, but I really want to know if I will still be able to keep up my running while in Podiatry school. I really enjoy competing in races, and I run about 5-6 hours per week. Would this be hard to maintain, or do you think if I plan my time well enough it will be possible? Thanks in advance for the input!

Not only will you have the time, but it should be mandatory to keep your mind and body healthy.

Interestingly, some people have a very unique and realistic approach to studying. My son's best friend was an incredible wrestler in high school and was recruited to replace a national div 1 champ in college, and simply decided to spend the time staying in great shape.

He is finishing up his first year in a very well respected US medical school. He works out like an animal, and as a result he looks like he's sculpted out of stone. He benches close to 400 lbs and his body fat is easily less than 5%.

He works out several hours daily and religiously. I asked how he can possibly have that much time with his workload. He gave me a great and honest answer. I was told that he is an 83-85 average in his classes, and he believes that if he went to the gym less and studied more he would be an 85-88 average in his classes. So he felt that his mental and physical health was worth giving up those points. He was realistic and honest that even if he studied crazy amounts, it wouldn't significantly impact his ranking. To me, that's a great attitude and philosophy and represents a well rounderd student.

You have to do whatever it takes to maintain your physical and mental health and that means there has to be a balance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not only will you have the time, but it should be mandatory to keep your mind and body healthy.

Interestingly, some people have a very unique and realistic approach to studying. My son's best friend was an incredible wrestler in high school and was recruited to replace a national div 1 champ in college, and simply decided to spend the time staying in great shape.

He is finishing up his first year in a very well respected US medical school. He works out like an animal, and as a result he looks like he's sculpted out of stone. He benches close to 400 lbs and his body fat is easily less than 5%.

He works out several hours daily and religiously. I asked how he can possibly have that much time with his workload. He gave me a great and honest answer. I was told that he is an 83-85 average in his classes, and he believes that if he went to the gym less and studied more he would be an 85-88 average in his classes. So he felt that his mental and physical health was worth giving up those points. He was realistic and honest that even if he studied crazy amounts, it wouldn't significantly impact his ranking. To me, that's a great attitude and philosophy and represents a well rounderd student.

You have to do whatever it takes to maintain your physical and mental health and that means there has to be a balance.

Right on. Got for him!!

Wow that is amazing! I completely agree and running is such an important part of my life it would be so hard to give it up. Thanks for the inspiration.

Easily an hour a day, I did have that free time. But here in podiatry unlike allopathic and osteopathic medicine, our representatives do not have students' backs. They have proved this with the current residency shortage and how nothing was done, just the senseless political babbling. So, this medical student that PADPM is talking about is not where you want to be. 83 in podiatry school can spell your misery in our current shameful situation.

I obviously know that, I have never been the one to strive for just barely getting by. Just finished my bachelors of science in Bio with a 3.92, and honestly I'm pissed it wasn't higher. But once I got more serious I obviously couldn't fix my mistakes from freshman year. This last semester I trained for a half marathon and was taking 4 sciences and a foreign language and still managed a 4.0. I'm thinking I will do just fine running and getting good grades.