Keeping in touch with residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureToeBro

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a successful month at an externship, when is it appropriate to reach out to the residents and let them know you are still very interested in a program?
At the end of the rotation the residents stated I had an awesome month and they also invited me to visit their program again if I wanted.

Just wanted to get your opinions on when it’s best to reach out to the residents, especially since the program is high on my list.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A lot can happen between now and the end of the year. They'll have a lot more externs (if it's a good program), and you'll have more rotations.

It's not bad to send a thank you note to the director if you enjoyed the time or to text or touch base with a resident or two whose contact info you got during the month to tell them you enjoyed the rotation or ask for program updates or what cases they're seeing from time to time if you feel comfortable with that, but avoid being needy. If the rotation was in April, maybe convo in July and convo in Nov as interviews approach. Just do what is natural to you. Good students have good options. The top students are fairly busy studying, visiting other programs, getting smarter... so make sure not to trigger the needy or desperate alarms.

I wouldn't visit again unless you are in that city anyways (another rotation, near your pod school or family, etc).

Consider just telling them direct at interviews if it's our top choice. If you had a good month, you sure won't lose your interview spot if you don't text every month or pal all of them on social :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users