Any PodStudents who left while in a relationship and tried long-distance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCzechShrek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm hoping to talk to anyone who was in a relationship prior to leaving for PodSchool while their SO was unable to go with them (at least initially).

How did you handle it? Currently me and my girlfriend want to make the attempt to stay within Florida, so the plan is for me to apply to Barry and she (whose goal is MD) will apply to Miami or FIU, but at the same time I still want to consider what the other PodSchools have to offer (and we are also aware there is no guarantee she can get into those schools).
She is a year behind me so no matter what there will be time apart and we understand that. We know that there is a lot left to chance in the end and there is only so much we can plan for, so we're trying to see if anyone else went through something similar and if they have any advice they wish they could have gotten before going through with everything. Thanks to anyone who is willing to talk! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Like the title says, I'm hoping to talk to anyone who was in a relationship prior to leaving for PodSchool while their SO was unable to go with them (at least initially).

How did you handle it? Currently me and my girlfriend want to make the attempt to stay within Florida, so the plan is for me to apply to Barry and she (whose goal is MD) will apply to Miami or FIU, but at the same time I still want to consider what the other PodSchools have to offer (and we are also aware there is no guarantee she can get into those schools).
She is a year behind me so no matter what there will be time apart and we understand that. We know that there is a lot left to chance in the end and there is only so much we can plan for, so we're trying to see if anyone else went through something similar and if they have any advice they wish they could have gotten before going through with everything. Thanks to anyone who is willing to talk! :)
From an outside observer, I would just recommend not basing any of your career/education decisions on proximity to a girlfriend. Do whatever is best for your earning potential / makes your future the most successful and don't worry about what happens with the relationship. Just my 2¢.

Not an easy thing to do when you have been together 5 years and currently live together

Members don't see this ad :)
I had been with my SO for 5+ years prior to leaving for pod school. Although I interviewed and was accepted to a pod school that is half an hour from her home, I chose a school 6+ hours away because I thought it was a school that was a better fit for me. Going into my third year, I do not regret the decision. Even though it has been difficult to not see her very often, I think there is an important ingredient that makes our relationship work, and why I think it can work in the OP's favor as well. We are both busy, she was a graduate student during my first two years who worked 60-80 hours a week (she has recently graduated but is taking on a several jobs so she is just as busy). We were both essentially too busy, all the time, so distance became less relevant for it to stay healthy.

My advice:
It is all a balancing act. Do you feel Barry is a good fit for you? If you end up liking other schools about the same as Barry, then I would choose Barry. If you interview at a school outside of Florida that you think is amazing and you couldn't see yourself happier anywhere else, then I think this justifies making the sacrifice of going into a long distance relationship.

Feel free to PM me for more advice regarding the matter. It was one of the most difficult decisions of my life, but I have no regrets with the decision I made.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a relationship for 6 years when I started pod school. I went to NYCPM while she lived in the midwest and west coast. It sucked but we managed to see each other every 1-2 months. It all worked out in the end. We are now married and I am a resident.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you so much for the reply lear456089 and josebiwasabi! Very comforting to see that others have gone through a similar situation and came out positive (hard to relate with other follow undergrads/friends, most are single or not in as serious as a relationship).

We are both opening up more into looking at out-of-state schooling for us both, though we know even if we can reach our ideal situation we'd still be so buried by schooling time together would be drastically reduced compared to now. Neither of us have visited Medical Schools yet so I believe once we can visit and get a better look at each school we can make a much better personal and informed decision (Plan is to see what PodSchools I will eventually get interviews at and she will fly with me and visit the MD or DO schools in the states at the same time to check them out).

Neither of us want to make this decision lightly or based solely on one factor, which is why I posted here, so again thank you so much for the reply!

Reactions: 1 user