Can a DO physician practice in South Korea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katy1213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are DO physicians fully recognized to practice in South Korea ?

Members don't see this ad.

Practice Rights Map.png

It looks like no one has tried to get licensed there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No one will know until a DO tries to apply, unfortunately. There is a review board that makes the decision on a school-by-school basis. Do they offer their board certification exam in English? If not, you'd better brush up on your Korean...

Reactions: 1 user
No one will know until a DO tries to apply, unfortunately. There is a review board that makes the decision on a school-by-school basis. Do they offer their board certification exam in English? If not, you'd better brush up on your Korean...

Yes I'm sure they require their Korean Medical License. But I was wondering if do they recognize DO's . I know they do recognize md.
Thank you

Yes I'm sure they require their Korean Medical License. But I was wondering if do they recognize DO's . I know they do recognize md.
Thank you

Hey,

So this is what I learned so far.

I myself am a south korean and trying to get into DO school.

People say South Korea recognizes MDs, but I do not think that is 100% true.

2 main reasons:
1) You need to take Korean Medical License exam
2) If you pass the exam, you are required to do residency again in Korea in order to practice.

My mom's friend is a orthopedic surgeon in south korea, and he knows about DO and has told me that everyone outside of South Korea is required to do those two things up there regardless of their medical degree.

So, I assume AOA did not highlight Korea just because people have to go through those two things again in order to practice, or no one has ever tried?

Who wants to go to Korea anyway :rolleyes:

Btw I can assure you that the AOA highlighted Russia because you can be a scambag and still practice medicine there

Who wants to go to Korea anyway :rolleyes:

Btw I can assure you that the AOA highlighted Russia because you can be a scambag and still practice medicine there

it also add's 1/3 of the available area on the map with color.

Why do you want to practice in South Korea? It's not a good idea

Why do you want to practice in South Korea? It's not a good idea

What do you mean it's not a good idea??
Are you mixing up South Korean with North Korea? If it was North Korea, it shouldn't be a question. But South Korean is one of the power houses of Asia and it's very westernized. Have you not seen Gangnamstyle??

This is an unrelated but related topic to DO practice in South Korea. Actually, it's in many Asian countries.

In eastern countries, acupuncturists/herbalists are somewhat similar to DOs who practice OMM. I think their title is O.M.D (Oriental Medical Doctor) but correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure I am in many areas). They use their hands to do manipulations like DO physicians who practice OMM.
Of course there are differences. They also do acupuncture and use herbs to make medications. Parts of the practice involves chiropractic, manipulation, herbs, acupuncture, herbs, and etc.
More in the video on what they do and the similarities with DOs.
I believe there are schools, mostly in west coast, that give you this degree in US. There are these physicians in all over US also. While they aren't "very respected" in US, they are in eastern countries, whether you think they are legitimate or not.

Just wanted to add something to it.

I wouldn't really call an OMD a physician. Doctor, ok, but physician is reserved for the doctors with universal medical prescription rights. Completely off topic though...

No one has tried to practice in South Korea with a DO degree so it is not verified. It has nothing to do with the fact that foreign grads need to pass a licensing exam and redo training there. That is the case with many countries.

That said, if you train in an ACGME residency it will probably increase the likelihood that your degree will be recognized, but again nothing is guaranteed because there is no policy for DOs. If you truly plan to move to S. Korea to practice (not with an NGO), then I would recommend trying harder to get into a US MD school. If that's not possible for you or practicing there is just an idea you had, but probably won't do, I'd recommend just going DO and crossing the bridge when you get there.

Be aware also, that we are talking about moving to a country and practicing there independently. MDs and DOs can practice in virtually every country with an NGO/aid organization without getting licensed in those foreign countries.

HUGE UPDATE:

The process for any foreign physician to legally practice in South Korea (ROK) was to:
1. Send in documents from their medical school to the ROK Ministry of Health for approval
2. Upon approval, take and pass the Korean Medical Licensing Exam (KMLE)

Historically, the first step has been impossible and this prevented any US DO physicians from sitting the KMLE. Recently as of November 2023, the ROK Ministry of Health has approved the first US DO school (NYIT) as adequate medical education to allow graduates to sit for the KMLE.

Joshua Son, DO, will be the first Korean American DO (NYIT alum) to take the KMLE this year as of 2024 and if successful, he would be the first US DO physician to successfully be granted full practice rights in ROK.

This means that the ROK Ministry of Health may approve more accredited US DO schools that have been fully accredited by COCA now that this historic barrier to entry has been rendered nil.

Link to article: DOs go global: What to know about practicing osteopathic medicine abroad

Reactions: 4 users