Burned Out...How do you overcome?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jahnke07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

This question is for current pod students and residents...how do you overcome (or avoid if possible) "burn outs"?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone :)

This question is for current pod students and residents...how do you overcome (or avoid if possible) "burn outs"?

I take breaks, go out, etc.

ninja edit

Last edited:
Look at your student loan debt statement.

Instant motivation to not drop out.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've felt it before. i'm not the smartest student in my class so i have to make up for it by grinding almost every day in the library for many hours to get the grades i want.

but there are times that i can't handle the grind anymore and i go out with friends. it's awesome when you have over half your class at a bar just chilling and enjoying each others' company in a non-school setting. doesn't happen that often but when it does it's usually the evening after we've taken a really tough exam. so much fun haha.

i guess i haven't actually burnt out yet since i'm still able to study almost every night so my advice would be to work hard play hard. but with the caveat that you need to work hard a lot and play hard sparingly lol.

Try varying your routine a hit. Instead of grinding alone in the library, do a brief study group session with some intelligent classmates. Seeing how they think through and recall information will help you and also provide some motivation to beat them on the next exam. Turn it into a competition and try to make it fun. You don't have to do this very often, and if the meetings get too social and less productive, just cut them short, and at least you'll break the monotony.

Try varying your routine a hit. Instead of grinding alone in the library, do a brief study group session with some intelligent classmates. Seeing how they think through and recall information will help you and also provide some motivation to beat them on the next exam. Turn it into a competition and try to make it fun. You don't have to do this very often, and if the meetings get too social and less productive, just cut them short, and at least you'll break the monotony.

I agree, there is nothing better than friendly compitition when you are comparing percent grades a couple days after the exam during class.Or just go shoot some hoops or workout to free your mind up. You can only cram so much info during the day.

Work out, watch a movie, read for pleasure (not exams), yoga, church, play games/sports (esp outdoors), sex, have 1-2 (not ten) beers or glasses of wine, talk to fam/friends out of state, watch sports, etc. :thumbup:

Work out, watch a movie, read for pleasure (not exams), yoga, church, play games/sports (esp outdoors), sex, have 1-2 (not ten) beers or glasses of wine, talk to fam/friends out of state, watch sports, etc. :thumbup:
Hahaha, sex sounds like a great option!