This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asa3300

Reaction score
I don't know if medicine/healthcare is right for me anymore. I'm a second year podiatry student (23F) and I feel very burnout/unmotivated. I feel as though I'm forcing myself to do this because this is what I've been working towards my whole life. I don't feel like I'm staying for the right reasons anymore. Everyone is telling me that every med student goes through this and that it will get better 3rd year (not bc of the hours but because it'll be more gratifying). However, I'm not sure if that feeling of gratification outweighs all the work and sacrifice that gets put into this. I feel as though I'm hanging on by a thread every semester trying to do well in my classes. I'm always tired, my mental health is in shambles, I barely get to see family/friends, and I'm making all these sacrifices not knowing if this is something that I will dread every single day. I am conflicted though because I can't tell if I want to quit podiatry school because I'm blinded by being burntout/stressed or because I genuinely don't want this career. I do have to say, it's not a completely black/white situation because I do enjoy learning the material and there are parts that I like about it, but thinking about the stress of the next 5 years and the uncertainty of whether I'll be happy with this job afterwards makes me anxious.

I decided I wanted to be a physician in the 8th grade and stuck with it since. I thought I knew what I wanted, but after actually seeing this profession for what it is and learning more about myself and what I want in life, I'm not so sure anymore. Not only does the last 2 years of medical school and 3 years of residency scare me, but being an actual podiatrist is daunting to me. I don't know if I want the responsibility of being a physician anymore. I used to think that taking care of others would be rewarding, but now it just feels like a ton of pressure.

I haven't made any decisions yet because I've never been more confused in my life, but I'm leaning towards leaving and working a corporate job (biostatistician or something like that). Going this route is also very scary because I would be starting from scratch in an area I have never thought about before. I also have a science major, which does not have much value on its own. But as of now, I like the idea of working 9-5, mostly sticking to myself, having more flexibility, and having a better work/life balance. I dont think I care about the job itself being boring because I find the rewards in my life to be outside of work. However, I am coming from a naive perspective because I've never worked that kind of job full-time before. I never thought of this career path before, so I’m not sure what to expect.

I’m having a hard time finalizing a decision because I truly don’t know what’s best for me and I don’t want to have any regrets. I’m afraid that leaving will be harder than staying.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if medicine/healthcare is right for me anymore. I'm a second year podiatry student (23F) and I feel very burnout/unmotivated. I feel as though I'm forcing myself to do this because this is what I've been working towards my whole life. I don't feel like I'm staying for the right reasons anymore. Everyone is telling me that every med student goes through this and that it will get better 3rd year (not bc of the hours but because it'll be more gratifying). However, I'm not sure if that feeling of gratification outweighs all the work and sacrifice that gets put into this. I feel as though I'm hanging on by a thread every semester trying to do well in my classes. I'm always tired, my mental health is in shambles, I barely get to see family/friends, and I'm making all these sacrifices not knowing if this is something that I will dread every single day. I am conflicted though because I can't tell if I want to quit podiatry school because I'm blinded by being burntout/stressed or because I genuinely don't want this career. I do have to say, it's not a completely black/white situation because I do enjoy learning the material and there are parts that I like about it, but thinking about the stress of the next 5 years and the uncertainty of whether I'll be happy with this job afterwards makes me anxious.

I decided I wanted to be a physician in the 8th grade and stuck with it since. I thought I knew what I wanted, but after actually seeing this profession for what it is and learning more about myself and what I want in life, I'm not so sure anymore. Not only does the last 2 years of medical school and 3 years of residency scare me, but being an actual podiatrist is daunting to me. I don't know if I want the responsibility of being a physician anymore. I used to think that taking care of others would be rewarding, but now it just feels like a ton of pressure.

I haven't made any decisions yet because I've never been more confused in my life, but I'm leaning towards leaving and working a corporate job (biostatistician or something like that). Going this route is also very scary because I would be starting from scratch in an area I have never thought about before. I also majored in neuroscience, which does not have much value on its own. But as of now, I like the idea of working 9-5, mostly sticking to myself, having more flexibility, and having a better work/life balance. I dont think I care about the job itself being boring because I find the rewards in my life to be outside of work. However, I am coming from a naive perspective because I've never worked that kind of job full-time before. I never thought of this career path before, so I’m not sure what to expect. As of now though, I feel like working in healthcare is a bit overrated, at least for me.

I’m having a hard time finalizing a decision because I truly don’t know what’s best for me and I don’t want to have any regrets. I’m afraid that leaving will be harder than staying.
No one can force you to do anything. Life is too short and you should do what you want to do. However, the real world is a bitch and the work is going to be put in regardless of what job you do.

Obviously I do not know your situation, but it sounds like (given that you mentioned responsibility and never worked a true full-time job before), your anxiety is getting the better of you. Pressure happens regardless of what you do, some jobs more than others, but overall, you will have pressure to do your job right and know what you're doing. Biostatistician or physician, it will more or less be the same.

Regarding your current situation, it's safe to assume you have at least some debt getting this far in. Given that, my suggestion would be to seek some counseling for mental health and re-evaluate then. You're pretty all-in on Podiatry right now and logically, leaving wouldn't make much sense. If grades are part of the equation, then perhaps this is a different story.

Build yourself a support system and engage with it constantly. If you're single, find someone who can help be your bridge. Family is important, but understand that the time spent away from them is similar to that of a normal job (when out working). This is simply a road that requires some long-hauls without them (just like college for example).

Reactions: 2 users
Yah, I definitely hear you. I'm not trying to live a stress-free life with zero responsibilities. I'm just trying to figure out whats more manageable for me personally. I'll definitely take care of my mental health before I make any big decisions though. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above post. If you are miserable, I would suggest leaving, taking a break and reasses what you want in life. Maybe get a job or something. Relax, recover and do whatever you enjoy. You are still young for any change you like.

Two considerations. One, like poster above stated, if you haven't had a job or been in long stressful environments before, you might be experiencing burnout, stress and exhaustion. You might just need some support, more relaxation and to do something relaxing and enjoyable. You might need more sleep if you are constantly sleep deprived. Often times, sleep deprivation in itself leads to an exhaustion and burnout with anything you do. If that's the case, you might need to find time to relax, rest and push forward. It should get better for you.

Second. If you are burnout mainly because you don't like medicine/podiatry. Then quitting could be a good next step. Do something else and see what else you might like. Best

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
See if you can take a leave of absence while in good standing. Explore etc. do whatever you want and if at a later point you have a realization that podiatry is what you want, you can always come back without repercussions.

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed with PTPuser. I have a friend who did something similar during our 3rd year of podiatry school. He took a lot of thinking and time off but at the end of day, he came back with a clear head.

Take some time off and re-collect your thoughts! It is a big decision to make.

Reactions: 3 users
You can try to finish your DPM, then get an MBA and do a non clinical health care job. I don’t know the state of your mental health but if you can push through and finish you might as well after the time and effort you put into it.