MD Being an MD is overrated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Taught a few classes. Had students collect his data for him through an independent study. published when he felt like it (Is still sitting on a goldmine of papers if he ever feels like it). He wasn't a part of cutthroat academia research (competing for funding and such) so he didn't care to. So to say the least... no he doesn't invest a crazy amount of time into his research, his research is pretty interesting stuff though if you are into human kinetics and biomechanics.
That's what I thought. TBH - once you get tenured and are content with where you are etc., it's fairly easy to ride it out till retirement doing very minimal work. Where I was, the teaching load was 2+2 (2 courses/semester, 3 credits each). You teach MWF for two hours, throw in some office hours here and there and do whatever for the rest of the week. You can even "pretend" that you do research. But then, after a while, this is really agonizing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How productive would you be for $75K/ yr?
Unfortunately, this is in the ballpark of assistant professor salaries at a lot of institutions, $70K-$80K, at least when I was starting out. I do agree though that you can ride on “passion for research” only for so long…

Unfortunately, this is in the ballpark of assistant professor salaries at a lot of institutions, $70K-$80K, at least when I was starting out. I do agree though that you can ride on “passion for research” only for so long…

$70-80K/yr. That is almost not doable and is NOT doable if you have debt, a wife, kids and live in a high COLA. That is absolutely nuts. I am RETIRED and have ZERO debt and just my fixed bills like electric,etc and I could not live on that. I pay no rent and have no mortgage.

$70-80K/yr. That is almost not doable and is NOT doable if you have debt, a wife, kids and live in a high COLA. That is absolutely nuts. I am RETIRED and have ZERO debt and just my fixed bills like electric,etc and I could not live on that. I pay no rent and have no mortgage.
Lol is this satire?

Reactions: 1 users
My research professor during undergrad was a tenured faculty member who was working at my university for a little less than 20 years. We did the math out one day and he was making about ~75k per year to work ~25 hr/wk (with summer and winter breaks almost completely off)... Sounds like a pretty solid gig to me under the right circumstances🤣
That comes out to like $63 an hour. Not a terrible job but definitely terrible by physician standards, particularly for someone with 20 years of experience. Even pretty bad moonlighting rates in my specialty (psychiatry) in my area (an east coast urban center) pay significantly more than that. I can tell you that you could easily make significantly more than that in a part time psychiatry job right out of residency and maintain similar hours (potentially with even more flexibility).

Reactions: 1 user
That comes out to like $63 an hour. Not a terrible job but definitely terrible by physician standards, particularly for someone with 20 years of experience. Even pretty bad moonlighting rates in my specialty (psychiatry) in my area (an east coast urban center) pay significantly more than that. I can tell you that you could easily make significantly more than that in a part time psychiatry job right out of residency and maintain similar hours (potentially with even more flexibility).
True. SIGNIFICANTLY less debt though since lots of science masters offer full tuition remission and Ph.D.'s are often times fully funded. But oftentimes can actually be more school though.

What was your answer?

Why does almost everyone feel insecure about their profession when they are interacting with physician?
Likely bc the doc was interacting with a group that makes materially less. With that said, there are PLENTY of insecure doctors. My time in New Orleans was bizarre, the doctor scene and need to be viewed as important and the highest paid in the room or even dive bar was sad and unbecoming of our profession.

Likely bc the doc was interacting with a group that makes materially less. With that said, there are PLENTY of insecure doctors. My time in New Orleans was bizarre, the doctor scene and need to be viewed as important and the highest paid in the room or even dive bar was sad and unbecoming of our profession.
That is pretty bad. I have not seen that among my peers. We go out in group pretty often and not a single one of us acts that way.

That is pretty bad. I have not seen that among my peers. We go out in group pretty often and not a single one of us acts that way.
I think the city (and much of the state) still operates on an “old school” basis where docs and personal injury attorneys are the high earners since there is no industry speak of. Not sure how long you have been there but it’s very prevalent. Glad you found a good group

Radiology residents can make $50-100/hr babysitting a scanner for contrast coverage after hours...

I think the city (and much of the state) still operates on an “old school” basis where docs and personal injury attorneys are the high earners since there is no industry speak of. Not sure how long you have been there but it’s very prevalent. Glad you found a good group
not practicing in NOLA.

CHEALSEA SC- have you not heard of “delayed gratification “? I am heavily into the
gratification aspect of that. I “delayed” long enough.