This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfnscale

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Not sure if this thread will take, but here's to hoping it catches on and becomes official!)

Since applying through AB and being accepted to NUIG, I've seen several students looking for advice and more information on what the chances are of them getting accepted to Irish medical schools. It might be useful to make an official thread where students seeking to apply through AB can speak to those who've already experienced the application process. So, feel free to post your stats and questions here!

Some useful links:
1. Medical Schools – Atlantic Bridge
2. Previous applicant threads:
3. Medicine in the UK vs US
4. IMGs and powerpoints of matches throughout the years from Irish Schools to Canadian and US Residencies:
5. Stats of Applicants to Irish schools and Acceptance, Waitlist or Rejection
6. Post-Graduation. Where are we?
7. Pros and Cons of Studying at a Foreign Med School: https://www.usnews.com/education/bl...d-cons-of-applying-to-foreign-medical-schools

@DeadlineDoc
@Texas rebel
I know you two have been asking questions, maybe we can get them answered promptly here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi ,
I am currently studying in highschool but am planning to apply this year. I have gotten 5 on ap bio , 4 on AP Physics 1 and planning to take AP Chem , AP Physics 2 and AP Psychology this year . I have scored a 770 on sat bio and 750 on sat chem (which I will retake for a perfect score ) . I have a 3.88 unweighted gpa and a 4.2 weighted gpa . I have a 1400 sat (which I will be planning to increase). I have lots of service hours volunteering and clinical shadowing . What are my chances of getting into one of these reputed colleges. I don’t mind either the 5 year or 6 year course for undergrad . Also , do they give a year deferment since I might have to do national service ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get accepted to the 5 year program? Would you mind sharing your stats/experience? I have applied this year but I am non-traditional. Applied to NUIG and Trinity.

Did you get accepted to the 5 year program? Would you mind sharing your stats/experience? I have applied this year but I am non-traditional. Applied to NUIG and Trinity.

I am also a non-trad and applied to the 5-year program at RCSI. From Atlantic Bridge, I was told that the most recent grades are favored and as long as you earned a 80% or better in the last two years of your education you should be competitive, also they look at your science grades more than your other courses. I am applying with a cum GPA of 2.8 but a science of 3.5 and my last few semesters have been 3.5 or higher, this one is a 3.92. I was told that I should be find and am considered competitive, so I wish you all the best.

I am also a non-trad and applied to the 5-year program at RCSI. From Atlantic Bridge, I was told that the most recent grades are favored and as long as you earned a 80% or better in the last two years of your education you should be competitive, also they look at your science grades more than your other courses. I am applying with a cum GPA of 2.8 but a science of 3.5 and my last few semesters have been 3.5 or higher, this one is a 3.92. I was told that I should be find and am considered competitive, so I wish you all the best.

Nice! Best of luck, I think we are in quite different situations. My cumulative GPA was around a 3.3 but I have been working as an RN for 5+ years in the operating room. Also, Nursing degrees in Canada, the last 2 years have a lot of clinical rotations/skills so no GPA is assigned. So when I say non traditional, I mean most people in my situation would write the MCAT but it doesn't make sense for me as my Nursing degree didn't cover a lot of what I would need to ace. So I have applied to Trinity and Galway 5-year programs. I have excellent referrals (surgeon and professor) and EC's given I work in healthcare and have volunteered abroad. Hoping that they look at me holistically.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I'm a canadian student in 4th year of undergrad with a cumulative GPA of 3.88 and an MCAT score of 515. I have some ECs, clinical experience, some research, clubs, volunteering. What are my chances in an irish med school? Also, how important are references - I have one from a research supervisor and 1 from a prof - are those enough?

Hi everyone, I'm a canadian student in 4th year of undergrad with a cumulative GPA of 3.88 and an MCAT score of 515. I have some ECs, clinical experience, some research, clubs, volunteering. What are my chances in an irish med school? Also, how important are references - I have one from a research supervisor and 1 from a prof - are those enough?
With such high scores you could get into most US medical schools (including the top schools!) and have a pretty good shot at Canadian medical schools. Please don't take this in a wrong way, but I am stunned that such a strong candidate would even consider the international route.

Hi ,
I am currently studying in highschool but am planning to apply this year. I have gotten 5 on ap bio , 4 on AP Physics 1 and planning to take AP Chem , AP Physics 2 and AP Psychology this year . I have scored a 770 on sat bio and 750 on sat chem (which I will retake for a perfect score ) . I have a 3.88 unweighted gpa and a 4.2 weighted gpa . I have a 1400 sat (which I will be planning to increase). I have lots of service hours volunteering and clinical shadowing . What are my chances of getting into one of these reputed colleges. I don’t mind either the 5 year or 6 year course for undergrad . Also , do they give a year deferment since I might have to do national service ?
Did you apply to the Irish schools?

Hi there,

I am currently a third-year student at McGill University and have a CGPA of 3.43, and a science GPA of 3.54. I had a final grade of 92% in high school and have 2 summers of research assisting experience the most recent being on a published medical case report. I have some ECS as I have been head of an NPO status university club that organizes a volunteer teaching program on UN curriculum for elementary school kids for the last 2 years and was head of 2 clubs (one being RedCross) and the school newspaper in high school. I don't have any volunteer hours with hospitals though, but I do have a few hours of shadowing and 300+ general volunteer hours including a volunteer trip to Taiwan. What do you think my chances are of getting into a school for a 5-year program? Or should I just try to finish my degree and apply after I graduate for a 4-year program? (though I may have to take an extra semester to finish) I also am open to the UK, and Australia, but can't do US because I don't have the prereqs as I only meet their 2 semesters of Bio with lab, a sem of math, and a sem of chem with lab.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I was wondering what my chances are for an offer with a 3.2 cGPA and a 503 MCAT for either the 4 or 5 year programs in Ireland! Has anyone gotten an offer with similar stats? I believe I have strong reference letters. 1 from Science Faculty and 1 from a volunteer supervisor. I can also obtain a 3rd letter from a physician if this would help my application. Any input would be greatly appreciated!