ASTRO Town Hall Discussion (Poll % on site)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Necessary percent of time on site for RadOncs

• 100%

• 90%

• 75%

• 50%

• 25%

• 10%

• 0%

Results are only viewable after voting.
People keep glossing over the vastness of the US, both geographically and varied aspects of cancer programs.

My 2 MD practice has a doc on site for 100%.

I would never assume that is what is best for all patients and physicians nationwide. In fact our supervision policy even respects the differences between centers in our network.

That is the difference between serious thoughtful people trying to work this out for their practice and Jeff sitting at home basking in his achievements.

It was totally clear today that they think they know best and should just be trusted. People tried to make this a rational discussion but they will not answer a single detail question.

They couldn’t even give a straight answer about ROILS, which is so easy! There were no events, just say that! That’s all an incident learning data base can tell you anyway.

They can’t even get the details right in their answers because they don’t know enough about the policy, the science of quality and safety, or apparently the sentiments of the rest of the “house of medicine”. haha what a bizarre monologue from that guy.

This is a huge mess and an embarrassment. There is so much arrogance, dishonesty, insecurity, political pandering that we didn’t even have a real conversation about the issue at hand.

Finally, I’m really getting frustrated with ACRO. Show us your letter, say your position, or get off the pot.

Bizarre stuff.
Extremely disappointed with ACRO. Vert clueless and *****ic response. In my opinion, his speech at the end underscores the huge necessity for a new leadership group in radiation oncology that truly is neutral and represents the needs of current Radiation Oncologists. He was clearly in bed with Astro given his response. How disappointing.

Members don't see this ad.

As I posted in January -

‘I generally caution against falling into the trap that ACRO is some special group. They’re just like any other group. They exist to earn more money than they spend, that’s it. People at the top of ACRO have many of the same biases and relationships as those involved with Astro. Act accordingly.’

Reactions: 4 users
I'm starting to understand ASTRO postion more and why they can't just come out with the real reason.

If we advocate to cut to general or virtual direct, there is less effort on the physician part. CMS will review the codes and cut wRVU because less effort is needed. Salaries will plummet.

ASTRO can't come out and say "We want to keep reimbursement high."

I rather keep my salary the same and just chain myself to the linac instead of eating bon bons on the beach and take a salary cut.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting to understand ASTRO postion more and why they can't just come out with the real reason.

If we advocate to cut to general or virtual direct, there is less effort on the physician part. CMS will review the codes and cut wRVU because less effort is needed. Salaries will plummet.

I rather keep my salary the same and just chain myself to the linac instead of eating bon bons on the beach and take a salary cut.

It’s very clearly and obviously not about safety.

The problem with the lack of ability to be transparent on this is it leads to articles about safety which are ridiculous like the light field story and then also leads to town halls which are debates about stuff that aren’t truly germane.

Reactions: 2 users
The same policy firms/think tanks and consulting firms that are contracted by ASTRO probably tell ACRO the same stuff on messaging on how to protect the field.

Healthcare consulting a multibillion dollar industry.

It’s the same way groups like AMA talk about ‘protecting access to care’ whenever physician comp issues are on the table. Talking about protecting access (while also somewhat true) is more laudable and noble than saying ‘our docs don’t want to make less’

Is that why Astro was fine with APP supervision with hospital-based all these years without a peep? We know for a fact APP-billed codes don't pay at the same level as physician-billed ones.

I think you may be right.

We know there isn’t necessarily “less effort,” but no one (in and out of medicine) knows what we actually do, so it’s easier to explain our worth by supervising in person the “high energy x rays.”

I still think at the end of the day CMS will probably just ignore Astro .

I *think* for now I’m team 80% (4 days week in person). I’m so busy im there 99% but a clean % rule may solve some issues .

Reactions: 7 users

This is simply incorrect, though.

Personally, my work load remains the same independent of where my physical body is.

Again, supervision is different than E&M - if you've got 10 on beam and are done treating at 1PM, and you go off campus at 1:15PM, and a head and neck patient shows up looking for side effect help at 2PM, that's a different issue then if you went off campus at 1PM but treatments go till 4PM.

For EBRT: which part, exactly, if your work requires your physical body near the linac when it is turned on?

Now, this is the ONLY aspect where I can understand their (ASTRO's) point about 77427 and virtual OTVs. I don't agree, but I understand.

But contouring? Computer. Treatment plan review? Computer. IGRT review? Computer.

My dosimetrist is already remote, so those interactions are virtual regardless of this issue.

Oh - and none of our current CPT code valuations are written based on the physical presence of the doctor.

Radiation Therapist physical presence? Yes.

Physician? No.

But, Chicken Little, the sky didn’t fall. For more than 4 years CMS converted the majority of rad onc from direct to general. CMS “review[ed] the codes” in the meantime. The wRVUs did not drop; wRVUs don’t make up the majority of radiation oncology reimbursement anyways*… and to really blow people’s minds, CMS values many rad onc codes not by MD presence but by therapist presence (different topic for a different day).

People make a lot of proclamations and predictions around this supervision thing that are easily showable not to be the case.

(But, take the concept of CMS having an opportunity to “cut prices” and lower reimbursement to rad onc given ubiquitous virtual and general supervision as feasible. Welp. That’s now. That’s here. Feasibility fait accompli. Do you think CMS wants to countenance the chance of giving up that opportunity on the basis of some inchoate safety arguments from ASTRO? Arguments they have specifically rejected in 2019 e.g.? Ha.)

* the reimbursement for IMRT, a technical/non wRVU charge and rad onc’s most important money-maker, had fallen >50% in the era of 100% direct supervision

Last edited:
This is simply incorrect, though.

Personally, my work load remains the same independent of where my physical body is.

Again, supervision is different than E&M - if you've got 10 on beam and are done treating at 1PM, and you go off campus at 1:15PM, and a head and neck patient shows up looking for side effect help at 2PM, that's a different issue then if you went off campus at 1PM but treatments go till 4PM.

For EBRT: which part, exactly, if your work requires your physical body near the linac when it is turned on?

Now, this is the ONLY aspect where I can understand their (ASTRO's) point about 77427 and virtual OTVs. I don't agree, but I understand.

But contouring? Computer. Treatment plan review? Computer. IGRT review? Computer.

My dosimetrist is already remote, so those interactions are virtual regardless of this issue.

Oh - and none of our current CPT code valuations are written based on the physical presence of the doctor.

Radiation Therapist physical presence? Yes.

Physician? No.

You’re not thinking like CMS in the long term.

What you’re saying is logical, absolutely.

Reactions: 1 user
But, Chicken Little, the sky didn’t fall. For more than 4 years CMS converted the majority of rad onc from direct to general. CMS “review[ed] the codes” in the meantime. The wRVUs did not drop; wRVUs don’t make up the majority of radiation oncology reimbursement anyways… and to really blow people’s minds, CMS values many rad onc codes not by MD presence but by therapist presence (different topic for a different day).

People make a lot of proclamations and predictions around this supervision thing that are easily showable not to be the case.

(But, take the concept of CMS having an opportunity to “cut prices” and lower reimbursement to rad onc given ubiquitous virtual and general supervision as feasible. Welp. That’s now. That’s here. Feasibility fait accompli. Do you think CMS wants to countenance the chance of giving up that opportunity on the basis of some inchoate safety arguments from ASTRO? Arguments they have specifically rejected in 2019 e.g.? Ha.)

4 years. That’s it. That’s nothing. 3 of which were during the peak of Covid.

4 years. That’s it. That’s nothing. 3 of which were during the peak of Covid.
That’s a long peak. And the direct to general shift had zilch to do with COVID, and CMS never had any reimbursement talk coupled with that shift. And CMS never telegraphed any desire to fiddle with reimbursement in general supervision CAHs pre 2020. Linacs will cost the same and have the same use factors regardless of MD supervision levels.

ALSO… IGRT was under personal supervision from 2006 (when the code first appeared) to 2009. When CMS changed the supervision to a lower direct, the wRVU didn’t change at all. Probably the safety of IGRT was worse though ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People need to keep in mind that Ron D is featured at ACRO meetings. So it certainly no surprise that they are on board with ASTRO. I did not tune in to this btw

Reactions: 5 users
I only lasted 20 minutes. I sincerely doubt that CMS will change their position of January 2020.

That’s a long peak. And the direct to general shift had zilch to do with COVID, and CMS never had any reimbursement talk coupled with that shift. And CMS never telegraphed any desire to fiddle with reimbursement in general supervision CAHs pre 2020. Linacs will cost the same and have the same use factors regardless of MD supervision levels.

ALSO… IGRT was under personal supervision from 2006 (when the code first appeared) to 2009. When CMS changed the supervision to a lower direct, the wRVU didn’t change at all. Probably the safety of IGRT was worse though ;)

Maybe you’re right that we have no reason to worry.

I take a more conservative view. I’m also very sensitive to the fact that we have super favorable billing codes and RVU equivalents. This should not be taken for granted and should continuously be protected.

Though I don’t pay any dues to AMA, ASTRO, or ACRO, when I did in the past, that was the reason I cared to pay, as we do need to continue to protect the codes. These codes are the only reason any of us enjoys the professional lives that we all do.

I take a more conservative view. I’m also very sensitive to the fact that we have super favorable billing codes and RVU equivalents. This should not be taken for granted and should continuously be protected.

Though I don’t pay any dues to AMA, ASTRO, or ACRO, when I did in the past, that was the reason I cared to pay, as we do need to continue to protect the codes. These codes are the only reason any of us enjoys the professional lives that we all do.
How do we have "super favorable billing codes"?

You mean in the sense that "cognitive" codes are generally valued less than procedural codes? Or something more specific?

Our codes are a bargain basement deal already.

Well they have sucked at maintaining reimbursement right? Much data has been produced showing that CMS has cut rad onc reimbursement by 20% or so the last 20 years.

And ASTRO is concerned about 77427 reimbursement. Again… ha. The biggest cut to 77427 in rad onc has been hypofractionation (citations can be provided on request).

How do we have "super favorable billing codes"?

You mean in the sense that "cognitive" codes are generally valued less than procedural codes? Or something more specific?

Our codes are a bargain basement deal already.

Not only are procedural codes billed better than cognitive codes, our specific procedures are incredibly in our favor when you compare an 20/5 bone met to other procedures, such as idk, complex IR biopsies or total laryngectomies with reconstruction.

Salaries of employed radonc are not based on professional codes.

specific procedures are incredibly in our favor when you compare an 20/5 bone met to other procedures, such as idk, complex IR biopsies or total laryngectomies with reconstruction.
Because of machine costs and other tangibles

Not because of supervision!

But, Chicken Little, the sky didn’t fall. For more than 4 years CMS converted the majority of rad onc from direct to general. CMS “review[ed] the codes” in the meantime. The wRVUs did not drop; wRVUs don’t make up the majority of radiation oncology reimbursement anyways*… and to really blow people’s minds, CMS values many rad onc codes not by MD presence but by therapist presence (different topic for a different day).

* the reimbursement for IMRT, a technical/non wRVU charge and rad onc’s most important money-maker, had fallen >50% in the era of 100% direct supervision
IMRT dropped quickly as it skyrocketed on the list of CMS costs. If you are on the top, you are the target. To CMS credit, IMRT also got easier over time with less equipment/time necessary.

I actually think you pointing to IMRT is pretty analogous to my point. If things get easier, CMS will drop individual wRVUs. How long to get to this point with IMRT? It is not crazy to see CMS start to drop rad onc code 2 to 5 percent down per year.

We are definitely early in this cycle.

My total comp is based on professional codes. Most have a wRVU target for their salary. If that changes, comp will have to adjust.

Kind of both are right, no? The common contract is based on RVUs and it’s also not.

The $/RVU is whatever they want it to be, “they”, the surveys and companies and “market”.

The target is the same.

I know someone who got a pay cut to “bring them to market median”. Haha ok, what? This person wasn’t even that mad because they were previously “overpaid”.

So many quotes. I’m sure CMS rates could impact pay, but it may for some and not for others. Certainly for most (employed) rad oncs, that company filter has a big impact.

My total comp is based on professional codes. Most have a wRVU target for their salary. If that changes, comp will have to adjust.
Not really. Your total comp is based on supply and demand and then $/rvu are adjusted. That’s why psych may have the same salary as you with 3500 rvus, and ortho paid a lot more with 8k rvus.

Lets have clarity about the things we speak about

Lets have clarity about the things we speak about
Psych is less desirable locations- where most radonc jobs are available- earns around 400k. Anyway, supply and demand underlies prices/salaries at the end of the day.

Reactions: 1 users
Psych is less desirable locations- where most radonc jobs are available- earns around 400k in

And you are saying that rad oncs working in undesirable locations should expect to make 400k, and I would disagree.

I actually think you pointing to IMRT is pretty analogous to my point. If things get easier, CMS will drop individual wRVUs.
When you talk about IMRT and wRVU about the only thing you can talk about is CPT 77301.

In 2003, 77301 had 8.00 wRVUs, reimbursing ~$392.

In 2023, 77301 had 7.99 wRVUs, reimbursing ~$423.

• Love
And you are saying that rad oncs working in undesirable locations should expect to make 400k, and I would disagree.
My main point is your salary is much more linked to Astro pumping out residents than cms adjusting proffesional reimbursements. In fact, technical is so high for many large academic centers, that salaries wouldn’t be impacted if proffesional went to O.

Reactions: 7 users
My main point is your salary is much more linked to Astro pumping out residents than cms adjusting proffesional reimbursements. In fact, technical is so high for many large academic centers, that salaries wouldn’t be impacted if proffesional went to O.
1712415037187.png

When you talk about IMRT and wRVU about the only thing you can talk about is CPT 77301.

In 2003, 77301 had 8.00 wRVUs, reimbursing ~$392.

In 2023, 77301 had 7.99 wRVUs, reimbursing ~$423.

$392 in 2003 equals $643.14 in 2023 when adjusted for inflation. In other words we lost about 55% of revenue for that code.​

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
One answer in @CurbYourExpectations poll that was not present is 40% on site. The LCD for IMRT for TX, CO, NJ, and a few other states says a rad onc needs to provide direct supervision 40% of the time (2 days a week) and see OTVs at least once a week. And check/sign IGRT images before the next fraction or within 24 hours. This LCD has been in place since 2021.

Can you imagine if ASTRo and ACRO poured as much effort into demonstrating our value (relative to other oncologic specialties, particularly med onc and their associated costly, yet minimally effective drugs) and hammering the fact that we’ve already taken the largest (?) reimbursement cut in medicine over the past two decades?

These should be the only talking points. Nothing else. We do good work. We don’t cost much. We’ve been decimated by cuts. Give us a raise.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Cuts to zero don’t matter apparently. Find a new slant.

Cuts to zero don’t matter apparently. Find a new slant.

Cuts matter. Its important to talk about them specifically though, and in context to other medical specialities. That is how everyone else talks about them. A good example that includes Rad Onc is United Specialists for Patient Access showing how freestanding offices of procedural based specialties have suffered more than others in recent years. United Specialists for Patient Access

Note I am not arguing we should all start talking and caring about freestanding, Im just giving an example.

A vague fear of future cuts, "trust me bro", does not matter to anyone.

Can you imagine if ASTRo and ACRO poured as much effort into demonstrating our value (relative to other oncologic specialties, particularly med onc and their associated costly, yet minimally effective drugs) and hammering the fact that we’ve already taken the largest (?) reimbursement cut in medicine over the past two decades?

These should be the only talking points. Nothing else. We do good work. We don’t cost much. We’ve been decimated by cuts. Give us a raise.

If you really care about cuts to our codes, you should realize that it is inherently subjective and political. You should listen to @Mandelin Rain.

If you really care about cuts to our codes, you should realize that it is inherently subjective and political.

yes as I have been saying.

protecting our role is of the utmost importance. how this is defined is wildly subjective, clearly, across disciplines. But what is consistent is physician effort, which is defined in specific ways. The ways in which this is defined and the analyses that CMS does are in part based on human time.

my point was directed to Ricky Scott's point saying that all that matters is supply and demand however and that pro fees could be cut to zero with minimal impact to salaries.

some of you are only coming at this from the perspective of personal grievances with ASTRO or their former bosses. I really could care less about that aspect of it.

Last edited:
I think you should be on site as much as you need to be, and I don't think there's a set % for that. I personally support the current system with the option for virtual direct and telehealth OTV without specified percentages. I think it's the cleanest and gives a lot less wiggle room for disgruntled therapists and staff to try to pull a qui tam on you. I don't want to be reported for being on site only 89% of the time. I trust the majority of rad oncs are smart and ethical enough to determine the appropriate level of on site supervision for their practice. I have no concerns about massive proliferation of telehealth-only rad onc practices because I believe, as others have stated here, that cancer patients want to see their doctors in person and a telehealth-only operation is going to be at a significant competitive disadvantage in most geographies. Even at the height of COVID, I was still doing 90+ % of my consults in person at patients' requests. I just want the option to leave my clinic for tumor boards, maybe make a dentist appointment, leave a little early on a Friday afternoon, etc. without fear of being reported for fraud. More than anything, though, I want those pompous pricks at ASTRO to fail.
They have been failing plenty. Urologists and rad oncs can still own linacs together, CMS still went to general/virtual, ASTRO was dragged into considering payment bundles now after the freestanding community had been begging for them for decades etc.

Wrong side on everything. Supervision will turn out to be no different

protecting our role is of the utmost importance. how this is defined is wildly subjective, clearly, across disciplines. But what is consistent is physician effort, which is defined in specific ways. The ways in which this is defined and the analyses that CMS does are in part based on human time.

my point was directed to Ricky Scott's point saying that all that matters is supply and demand however and that pro fees could be cut to zero with minimal impact to salaries.
Human time and effort, not human location. I literally could virtual at home all morning and never leave my desk/multi monitor workstation

And if ASTRO cared about our role, a free pass would not be given to APPs now and potential advanced RTTs in the future

some of you are only coming at this from the perspective of personal grievances with ASTRO or their former bosses. I really could care less about that aspect of it.

No. I really strongly dislike current ASTRO leadership but I think you are also misunderstanding the point that others are making.

ASTRO is not making an argument about our value, they are feigning an argument about quality and safety because they are worried about our job security and pay, just very broadly defined. In this argument, they say things like "we are facing a serious threat of cuts". The one time Sameer personally called me, he spent a long time trying to convince me that if 77263 is cut, I will personally be harmed.

The simplest way to put it is that the RUC/Medicare RVU per CPT is a factor but not the only factor that determines how I am paid. Similar to most ROs, I am employed with a salary plus a $/RVU production bonus that is completely made up by my company. They can change this at any time for any reason. If RVUs go down, the ratio can go up to maintain my salary or not. If RVUs go up but they realize the market is flooded with rad oncs, they can drop the ratio and still hire just fine.

My point is that it all matters in a complicated way and it varies broadly for rad oncs across the US because most RO's pay is not directly defined by CMS.

You better believe our internal discussion of supervision considered many things around safety, quality, and work life balance, but also what it might do to FTE and that ratio.

I do not feel that ASTRO has communicated their understanding that this is how it works for employed Rad Oncs, the majority of the speciality.

Their argument about cuts is fearmongering that does not even directly apply to most ROs unless they add some specificity to their argument.

To be clear - I agree that none of this has been clearly defined or explained. The point is that this is not about safety.

I don't have any skin in the game with ASTRO, but I agree with the other posters who have said that ASTRO is coming at this from the point of view of protecting the role of the rad onc, whether it is a good idea or not. But they aren't framing it as such for obvious reasons.

As has been posted a lot on this forum - some of us here are worried about the implications of making it easier for places to hire fewer physicians as well as the way in which CMS will respond.

I just took a gander at the Diagnostic Rads forum and there are posts where it is being openly discussed that the rise in pay right now because of increased studies being ordered will be counteracted with CMS cuts. This is the story we have seen over the last 30 years. Ask GI docs from the early 90s about colonoscopies. When something is made much easier or more commonly ordered, CMS cuts. I could be wrong, I totally admit that, but to me, when I envision what an admin in the government thinks, I can't imagine they like the idea of a doctor being paid the same to oversee things from home rather than have to spend human capital and time to be present. That's my thought on the matter.

We are all just shooting the **** and theorizing.

I will tell you that I agree with you that payments and salaries are complicated and multi-factorial, but I do believe it is not JUST supply and demand. The favorable RVU assignments (which we know are totally arbitrary) to our work we do is why rad onc has been so well compensated for the last 30 years.

Last edited:

This is such an important point that people seem to be glossing over. I don’t know if it’s because of the recent attention that Bridge Oncology has drawn or ASTRO’s fear mongering efforts, but the change in supervision requirement has been around for over four years and the sky has not fallen. There have been zero reports of safety related issues as result of the change in supervision. As someone else pointed out, the most public safety related issue in radiation oncology recently was the incident at GenesisCare where they treated the wrong breast. This has nothing to do with general versus direct supervision. Additionally, physicians are not running around abusing the supervision laws, at least to my understanding.

The other part that I don’t understand is this debate about 20% versus 40% versus 80% versus 90% direct supervision. There are two options - general versus direct supervision. If you’re OK with anything less than 100% on-site supervision, you’re a proponent of general. Physicians need to use their own judgment to determine what is appropriate and that will undeniably vary from one clinic to the next.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
To be clear - I agree that none of this has been clearly defined or explained. The point is that this is not about safety.

I don't have any skin in the game with ASTRO, but I agree with the other posters who have said that ASTRO is coming at this from the point of view of protecting the role of the physician, whether it is a good idea or not. But they aren't framing it as such for obvious reasons.
Why can’t the “role of the physician” be to oversee four rural centers with the aid of virtual supervision and make 2 million a year while doing so.

Some very smart, ethical, well-intentioned rad oncs have seen this as a role.

"In China they are working on 'washing machine' radiation. Four buttons will do the treatment with a remote doctor: one doctor, 70 clinics, 70 million people."

I don't have any skin in the game with ASTRO, but I agree with the other posters who have said that ASTRO is coming at this from the point of view of protecting the role of the physician, whether it is a good idea or not. But they aren't framing it as such for obvious reasons.
The idea that ASTRO is trying to protect the role of radiation oncologists is a fallacy. If ASTRO cared about protecting the role of rad oncs, the simple solution would be not to overtrain our specialty as other specialties have succeeded in doing and have thereby maintained their roles, their job markets, and their competitiveness.

The idea that ASTRO is trying to protect the role of radiation oncologists is a fallacy. If ASTRO cared about protecting the role of rad oncs, the simple solution would be not to overtrain our specialty as other specialties have succeeded in doing and have thereby maintained their roles, their job markets, and their competitiveness.

Of course we shouldn’t over train.

But I don’t see how one thing being bad means that we can’t also not do another bad thing.

If direct supervision comes back, I am going to "abuse" the locums market. I will own four centers and hire four crappy, old, cheap rad oncs to maintain presence there. I will do this for business reasons... and to generate discussion at a future ASTRO town hall.

• Haha