Astro Career Center and "A Roadmap for Recruiting Medical Students into Radiation Oncology during a Period of Waning Interest"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's with all the jobs, especially rural jobs? Is the job market problem solved?

I'll tell you what's with it: The MBAs are running lean thanks to COVID and trying to trim the fat (in places other than admin of course). The rad onc making $800k salary in north dakota . Hmm. Why do we need him when there are people who can't get jobs anywhere else? Nevermind rad onc was keeping the lights on when nobody would come to the ER or get their knee replaced. Lets end the contract and offer $400k to the flood of new grads and recent grads on the job market whose partnership track position evaporated thanks to covid and supervision changes.

ASTRO, looking at you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
If there are rural rad oncs that are currently being pushed out of their long-time jobs in favor of a new grad who can be paid a lower salary as the above poster suggests, please PM me and I am happy to anonymously post your story on SDN.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
If there are rural rad oncs that are currently being pushed out of their long-time jobs in favor of a new grad who can be paid a lower salary as the above poster suggests, please PM me and I am happy to anonymously post your story on SDN.

I could be wrong, but the high salaries will evaporate if the admins realize there is any other interest (or if they can staff the clinic cheaper with locums, which is definitely happening). The other plausible theory is that these jobs, where you could basically name your own price and terms in the past, are becoming entry-level holding grounds as anything in a desirable location will start requiring 5 years experience and BC and you'll just see frequent turnover as people get out once they've paid their dues. In either situation, hospitals win and new grads lose.

"Prefer experience/BC but will consider entry level"

Radiation Oncologist - California Coast - Full Time in Santa Maria, CA for Coastal Radiation Oncology (astro.org)

Central coast CA. Get it while the gettings good. Seeing a lot more requiring 5 years+

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
(or if they can staff the clinic cheaper with locums, which is definitely happening).
Within 10 minutes of posting this, I received an email for a long-term locums position in rural Indiana.

This happens all the time! Specifically in Midwest, I see universities doing that. My university has taken over a few smaller hospitals within last 2 years. For a time, existing RadOnc will continue and his PSA or employment contract remains unchanged (say, 800K take home). We will then add a new grad paying them 400-500K and have front desk share consults equally. Once equal productivity / professionalism is demonstrated, old RadOnc is presented with new terms.
Freestanding facilities present some difficulties and we've resorted to actually building competing RadOnc buildings.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
This happens all the time! Specifically in Midwest, I see universities doing that. My university has taken over a few smaller hospitals within last 2 years. For a time, existing RadOnc will continue and his PSA or employment contract remains unchanged (say, 800K take home). We will then add a new grad paying them 400-500K and have front desk share consults equally. Once equal productivity / professionalism is demonstrated, old RadOnc is presented with new terms.
Freestanding facilities present some difficulties and we've resorted to actually building competing RadOnc buildings.

This happened recently in Omaha at a private hospital that got bought up. It's happened where I am, but again, still a metro area. "Rural" has a different meaning in rad onc, as you say, the universities or corporate health systems will absorb existing contracts and keep them until expiration then present a massive take-it-or-leave-it salary cut to the old-timers. But generally has to all be within commuting distance of the city.

Generally your contract is relatively safe if you are > 2 hours driving distance (not commutable) from a metro area. Maybe.

"Freestanding facilities present some difficulties and we've resorted to actually building competing RadOnc buildings."

Another way to put it would be:

"We used our unfair ability to manipulate government and private payers into paying more than the market price for services in order to drive competing practices out of business."

No one should be surprised when academic centers try to drive down salaries of radiation oncologists. Remember, that specifically was the goal of residency expansion, as explained by Dr. Dennis Hallahan in the red journal.

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users
Reasons for Declining Applicant Numbers in Radiation Oncology from the Applicants’ Perspective
1621517819247.png

Good work here, highlighting the same concerns that are frequently discussed but not acted upon. It's the job market!!! It is not lack of exposure or physics requirements. Medical students are appropriately exposed to the field but see the future as a flaming pile of :1poop:.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
This is what bothers me about criticism of SDN. SDN reflects reality. It does not create reality.

You can read and distrust whatever you want on here. I don't blame you. To someone looking at this forum, I'm just a guy with a corgi avatar who is probably crazy to have made 14,000 posts. I've been accused of not actually being a rad onc more times than I can count (which I find hilarious).

Smart medical students will go talk to junior attendings and senior residents and find out what it's really like trying to find a job. If they're honest with you, they will tell you it's a **** show. This has turned away most (all?) of the medical students we see express interest in our department over the past 5 years. Also, you only get the truth behind closed doors and not from chairs, program directors, etc.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
This is what bothers me about criticism of SDN. SDN reflects reality. It does not create reality.

You can read and distrust whatever you want on here. I don't blame you. To someone looking at this forum, I'm just a guy with a corgi avatar who is probably crazy to have made 14,000 posts. I've been accused of not actually being a rad onc more times than I can count (which I find hilarious).

Smart medical students will go talk to junior attendings and senior residents and find out what it's really like trying to find a job. If they're honest with you, they will tell you it's a **** show.
This site is incredibly invaluable for the issues it discusses... less so when the subject turns to personal attacks.

This site is incredibly invaluable for the issues it discusses... less so when the subject turns to personal attacks.

This is a difficult balance. We try the less is more approach to censorship. No matter how we decide to moderate there will be detractors on both sides--that is some will find it too heavy handed or too light handed no matter we do.

You can always go to the spreadsheet (NOT SDN AFFILIATED) which is just total chaos. Anyone can moderate. Stuff just gets deleted all the time. There is no accountability for what gets posted whatsoever, not even an anonymous screenname.

Or you can go to ASTRO or TheMedNet and see tight moderation with real names on full display and no real discussion of the issues.

Twitter is nothing but self promotion in my opinion. What else are you going to do with 200 characters or whatever it is these days.

I like to think we have a difficult, but good balance of free discussion and moderation. But people vote with their feet in the end.

Reactions: 11 users
One of the things i noticed from reading the “spreadsheet” a few times is that many people on there had a weird negative view of sdn yet somehow positive views of the spreadsheet. I saw things that i knew to be 100 percent true about hellpit places or even “good” places be deleted or challenged as fake news by anonymous posters without even a name. This is reflective of the survey where a minority of applicants used sdn and saw it as less reliable while using faculty and residents and the spreadsheet more and trusting it more.

those who choose to ignore the issues do so at their peril. I have little sympathy for them. They will be in very back of breadline. There were posts by people identifying themselves as PGY5 residents telling their job search stories who were immeditely attacked as untrue or lies or by naive belief that things will be better for them. We can’t save them all. A friend of mine lives by a duck pond and some ducks routinely cross the road and get run over. Some may say poor duckies! I say ducks are delicious. This is natural selection. C’est la vie. For some its la vie en rose.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Smart medical students will go talk to junior attendings and senior residents and find out what it's really like trying to find a job. If they're honest with you, they will tell you it's a **** show. This has turned away most (all?) of the medical students we see express interest in our department over the past 5 years. Also, you only get the truth behind closed doors and not from chairs, program directors, etc.

I disagree with the authors about SDN but on the bright side at least the paper said that Twitter is just as untrustworthy 🤣

That probably hurt so many egos 🤣

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

The "not a real radonc" criticism is also my favorite.

I'm actually an Alaskan crab fisherman who has spent years playing the game, posting online about an extremely niche medical subspecialty, in between treks out to sea. It's all about to pay off!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

I'm actually an Alaskan crab fisherman who has spent years playing the game, posting online about an extremely niche medical subspecialty, in between treks out to sea. It's all about to pay off!

I'm a Russian troll bot. Привет

Insurance salesman and professional coloring book artist, amirite?

All ROs are "crab fishermen" out at sea.

0*EftJuEAXgBV1QRTY.jpg

The ****show is starting for ER medicine.
I really feel bad for my ER colleagues...
Where is AMA when we need them?

• Wow
I don't see them approving imrt plans or contouring. But who knows
Not there yet but maybe start having more PA’s/NP’s cover the clinic, less docs and then possibly having the same doc “check” their contours/plans, etc. I’m sure, a clever admin is already thinking of how to cut costs.

The rapid fall of emergency medicine has been crazy to follow. One thing to glean from it is that just about no one cares except for the affected physicians themselves.

The academics keep their head in the sand and tell prospective applicants to follow their passion, the ACGME believes it is their constitutional duty to torpedo the specialty so long as the paper work is in order while keeping the bar so low for training programs that for profit institutions are opening residencies for cheap labor and greedy professional organizations who interest no longer align with its membership and see themselves as benefiting from this situation.

Last edited:
The downfall of ER was allowing every HCA and random hospital to open up a residency then they started “residencies” for PAs. i saw it as a medical student as the number of PAs running the ER increased. If this ever happens in rad onc, it will be catastrophic. with the relaxing of supervision rules, i know of multiple places where the rad onc travels and covers another facility one day a week.

One thing to glean from it is that just about no one cares except for the affected physicians themselves.
Bingo.

I would add that, also, no one cares about the affected physicians.

The downfall of ER was allowing every HCA and random hospital to open up a residency then they started “residencies” for PAs. i saw it as a medical student as the number of PAs running the ER increased. If this ever happens in rad onc, it will be catastrophic. with the relaxing of supervision rules, i know of multiple places where the rad onc travels and covers another facility one day a week.
Agree, I went from celebrating how I don’t need to be present to worried because when has anything decided ever truly benefit the physician? Maybe this is a reason to become ACR accredited since they still mandate a physician be present. I don’t know... just my conspiracy theory.

While the PAs ect employed in Rad Onc for sure decreases the number of Rad Oncs needed overall, I really haven't seen any that come anywhere close to being able to practicing autonomously without significant oversight. So I see mid level encroachment as less of a threat in rad onc compared to what is going on in other specialties.

Last edited:
If this ever happens in rad onc, it will be catastrophic. with the relaxing of supervision rules, i know of multiple places where the rad onc travels and covers another facility one day a week.
Can assure you, It will happen in radonc. If it can not be shown to adversely affect patient outcomes, and it has cost savings, will eventually become widespread. PA in Er or primary care has a lot more responsibility than pa in satellite radonc where films can be looked at remotely or treatment delayed for a day or so until the physician can sort out any isssue.

• Sad
Can assure you, It will happen in radonc.
But will it be prevalent? I have a hard time believing an NP or PA can cover an entire general practice. If it’s disease-specific, then we’re talking about bigger centers or urorads type practices.

Patients are reasonably savvy about cancer and may be discerning about who treats them. Would referring docs send to radonc practices knowing the doc is minimally involved? Are there many of us that would accept the liabilities (or take a job where that was forced on you)?

But will it be prevalent? I have a hard time believing an NP or PA can cover an entire general practice. If it’s disease-specific, then we’re talking about bigger centers or urorads type practices.

Patients are reasonably savvy about cancer and may be discerning about who treats them. Would referring docs send to radonc practices knowing the doc is minimally involved? Are there many of us that would accept the liabilities (or take a job where that was forced on you)?
I am thinking of satellites where the doc is in one day a week to see new pts and otvs, and reviews images remotely. Pa can handle most common complaints and always call the doc with questions.

I am thinking of satellites where the doc is in one day a week to see new pts and otvs, and reviews images remotely. Pa can handle most common complaints and always call the doc with questions.
I am fairly clueless about practice distribution. Any idea what proportion of practices (proportion of current rad onc jobs) could operate this way?

Correct but they aren't going to replace them the way a crna is in anesthesia or an NP in the ER

Agree, I went from celebrating how I don’t need to be present to worried because when has anything decided ever truly benefit the physician? Maybe this is a reason to become ACR accredited since they still mandate a physician be present. I don’t know... just my conspiracy theory.
I agree. I think this is an existential threat to our field. Must fight this relentlessly tooth and nail. The moment we allow this to happen, it will be the end for many.

Can assure you, It will happen in radonc. If it can not be shown to adversely affect patient outcomes, and it has cost savings, will eventually become widespread. PA in Er or primary care has a lot more responsibility than pa in satellite radonc where films can be looked at remotely or treatment delayed for a day or so until the physician can sort out any isssue.
I have the same fatalistic inevitable fear. We need to stop training our replacements. It is one thing to work in a team with PAs which we all do but the moment we start being asked to train them to check films and independently manage patients, contour “simple” cases, it is a slippery slope which will without a doubt mean financial ruin for many of us. Imagine losing all you have and having to retrain in something else and going back to “living like a resident”.

Last edited:
I am fairly clueless about practice distribution. Any idea what proportion of practices (proportion of current rad onc jobs) could operate this way?
I would say any that have more then one practice could operate this way if it means one doc could cover remotely. No need to have a locums, part time or full time around just to cover a clinic. One could coordinate their schedule to have SRS/SBRT, brachy in one location and then just leave the PA or someone to cover the 3D/IMRT patients.

If you can train a resident to draw circles, I don’t think it’s far fetched to train a PA to dabble or have a dosimitrist you trust do most of the work (think boomer dept chairs). I’m just sayin I see a path for chaos.

Correct but they aren't going to replace them the way a crna is in anesthesia or an NP in the ER
Yes, most wont be contouring etc, but just their presence and ability to handle common complaints, verify common image guidance, see one month follow ups would be a huge blow to manpower. Lots of centers with 10-20 pts on beam who could have a radonc come out one day a week or so.

Last edited:

When people have absolutely no choice and are facing financial and marital ruin you might be surprised that some might actually take this arrangement. Look at docs who take evilcore for same reason

When people have absolutely no choice and are facing financial and marital ruin you might be surprised that some might actually take this arrangement. Look at docs who take evilcore for same reason
I can assure you when the times comes, Dan Golden will be touring PA/NP schools, recruiting them to train them for these positions.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Midlevels will definitely lessen the need for rad oncs, but they will never replace rad oncs completely. They may allow 1 rad onc to manage 40-50 patients rather than 20-30, which is bad enough, but some of us will be okay.

I think the greater existential threat is IR. I've never seen a thirstier bunch of docs than IR docs. And as our treatments becomes shorter and shorter and more "technician-like", I could definitely see them becoming interested in drawing a few small circles around something and zapping it on the hospital owned linac.

Reactions: 8 users
Midlevels will definitely lessen the need for rad oncs, but they will never replace rad oncs completely. They may allow 1 rad onc to manage 40-50 patients rather than 20-30, which is bad enough, but some of us will be okay.

I think the greater existential threat is IR. I've never seen a thirstier bunch of docs than IR docs. And as our treatments becomes shorter and shorter and more "technician-like", I could definitely see them becoming interested in drawing a few small circles around something and zapping it on the hospital owned linac.
Agreed. Hopefully the plummeting student interest and uncomfortable discussions we've all been having over the last 2-3 years will shake RadOnc out of our basement-dwelling, bottom-feeding, self-flagellating heritage, especially as the old guard finally start to leave the field and more provocative folks assume leadership positions.

Agreed. Hopefully the plummeting student interest and uncomfortable discussions we've all been having over the last 2-3 years will shake RadOnc out of our basement-dwelling, bottom-feeding, self-flagellating heritage, especially as the old guard finally start to leave the field and more provocative folks assume leadership positions.
The best defense we have for our specialty is owning our own practices and linacs. Alas....

Is a heme onc job advertised on

THE RADIATION ONCOLOGY ASTRO JOB SITE

for $500K plus bonus the highest advertised salary on the ASTRO job board right now?* If so, irony is a b***h.

In fact, are heme onc jobs the ONLY jobs right now being advertised on ASTRO job board that openly talk about salary???? If so, irony is a b***h on wheels.

*EDIT: nope.

So a GI job takes top honors on the ASTRO board site now.

Is a heme onc job advertised on

THE RADIATION ONCOLOGY ASTRO JOB SITE

for $500K plus bonus the highest advertised salary on the ASTRO job board right now?* If so, irony is a b***h.

In fact, are heme onc jobs the ONLY jobs right now being advertised on ASTRO job board that openly talk about salary???? If so, irony is a b***h on wheels.

*EDIT: nope.

So a GI job takes top honors on the ASTRO board site now.
I can tell you that our practice really has to work on recruiting HemeOncs in terms of incentives and compensation. For Rad Onc, we have candidates >>> capacity or need.

• Sad
I can tell you that our practice really has to work on recruiting HemeOncs in terms of incentives and compensation. For Rad Onc, we have candidates >>> capacity or need.
Heme Onc is saturating in some areas now with more mid-levels on the scene who can cover chemo.... Urologists can write their own ticket though

Update of the current Astro Career Center Job posting on 6/10/2021:

1) Rad Onc private practice with Lake Region Medical Group (Fergus Falls, MN).
2) Rad Onc private practice with Avera Medical Group (Marshal, MN).
3) Rad Onc private practice with Shorepoint Radiation Oncology Center (Lakewood, NJ).
4) Rac Onc hospital employed at Methodist Hospital (Omaha, NE).
5) Rad Onc academics with Vanderbilt (Nashville, TN).
6) Rad Onc private practice with Herbert Herman Cancer Center (Lansing, MI).
7) Rad Onc academics at Northwell Health at a satellite clinic (Staten Island, NY).
8) Rad Onc private practice with Radiation Oncology Care at Meridian Park (Portland, OR).
9) Rad Onc private practice with and unnamed group (Fredericksburg, VA).
10) Rad Onc private practice with Mercy Clinic (Fort Smith, AR).
11) Rad Onc community academics with U Pittsburg (Williamsport, PA).
12) Rad Onc academics at Henry Ford Health System (Detroit, MI).
13) Rad Onc academic at Yale (New Haven, CT).
14) Rad Onc community academics University of Pennsylvania (Lancaster, PA).
15) Rad Onc private practice with Radiation Oncology Associates of Northern Virginia (Fairfax, VA).
16) Rad Onc hospital employed with Baptist Health Medical Group (New Albany, IN).
17) Rad Onc private practice with Advanced Radiation Centers of NY (Metro NY).
18) Rad Onc community academics at City of Hope (Irvine, CA).
19) Rad Onc private practice with Precision Cancer Care (Kansas City, KS).
20) Rad Onc private practice with Avera Medical Group (Pierre, SD).
21) Rad Onc private practice with Therapy Associates (Evansville, IN).
22) Rad Onc private practice with Spectrum Healthcare Partners (Portland, ME).
23) Derm/Rads part time with Water’s Edge Dermatology (Melbourne, FL).
24) Rad Onc academics with U of Arkansas (Little Rock, AK).
25) Rad Onc hospital employed with Cleveland Clinic (Vero Beach, FL).
26) Rad Onc private practice with US Oncology (Prescott Valley, AZ).
27) Rad Onc hospital employed with Intermountain Healthcare (Logan, UT).
28) Rad Onc hospital employed with Ballad Health (Abingdon, VA).
29) Rad Onc academics LSU/Ochsner (Shreveport, LA).
30) Rad Onc employed at the VA (Memphis, TN).
31) Rad Onc hospital employed at the Marshfield Medical Center (Eau Claire, WI).
32) Rad Onc private practice at Kadlec Clinic (Kennewick, WA).
33) Rad Onc employed at the VA (Jackson, MS).
34) Rad Onc employed at the Guthrie Clinic (Corning, NY).
35) Rad Onc employed at the VA (East Orange, NJ).
36) Rad Onc hospital employed with Geisinger (Danville, PA).

37-bonus) University of Maryland at Baltimore is looking for a PGY-3 resident.

Also saw an ad for New York Urology. 600K guaranteed base with RVU bonus added and 35K sign on bonus. Also tons of heme onc positions listing 500K, 4 days a week, and 100K loan forgiveness. Didn't see a single rad onc job that mentioned salary or bonuses.

Today the Astro website list 361 total MD jobs of which 36 are for BE/BC rad oncs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Also saw an ad for New York Urology. 600K guaranteed base with RVU bonus added and 35K sign on bonus. Also tons of heme onc positions listing 500K, 4 days a week, and 100K loan forgiveness. Didn't see a single rad onc job that mentioned salary or bonuses.

Today the Astro website list 361 total MD jobs of which 36 are for BE/BC rad oncs.
ASTRO should probably just stop kicking us while we're down.

Also i am seeing more ads specifically state preference for 3+ year experience and BC. is there any other field where being a newly trained doc is seen as such a bad thing? I talk to the med onc fellows and they tell me they get lucrative job offers after first yr of fellowship.

if you are reading this prepare to spend years in a hellpit before anybody deems you “worthy”

Last edited:
Update of the current Astro Career Center Job posting on 6/10/2021:

1) Rad Onc private practice with Lake Region Medical Group (Fergus Falls, MN).
2) Rad Onc private practice with Avera Medical Group (Marshal, MN).
3) Rad Onc private practice with Shorepoint Radiation Oncology Center (Lakewood, NJ).
4) Rac Onc hospital employed at Methodist Hospital (Omaha, NE).
5) Rad Onc academics with Vanderbilt (Nashville, TN).
6) Rad Onc private practice with Herbert Herman Cancer Center (Lansing, MI).
7) Rad Onc academics at Northwell Health at a satellite clinic (Staten Island, NY).
8) Rad Onc private practice with Radiation Oncology Care at Meridian Park (Portland, OR).
9) Rad Onc private practice with and unnamed group (Fredericksburg, VA).
10) Rad Onc private practice with Mercy Clinic (Fort Smith, AR).
11) Rad Onc community academics with U Pittsburg (Williamsport, PA).
12) Rad Onc academics at Henry Ford Health System (Detroit, MI).
13) Rad Onc academic at Yale (New Haven, CT).
14) Rad Onc community academics University of Pennsylvania (Lancaster, PA).
15) Rad Onc private practice with Radiation Oncology Associates of Northern Virginia (Fairfax, VA).
16) Rad Onc hospital employed with Baptist Health Medical Group (New Albany, IN).
17) Rad Onc private practice with Advanced Radiation Centers of NY (Metro NY).
18) Rad Onc community academics at City of Hope (Irvine, CA).
19) Rad Onc private practice with Precision Cancer Care (Kansas City, KS).
20) Rad Onc private practice with Avera Medical Group (Pierre, SD).
21) Rad Onc private practice with Therapy Associates (Evansville, IN).
22) Rad Onc private practice with Spectrum Healthcare Partners (Portland, ME).
23) Derm/Rads part time with Water’s Edge Dermatology (Melbourne, FL).
24) Rad Onc academics with U of Arkansas (Little Rock, AK).
25) Rad Onc hospital employed with Cleveland Clinic (Vero Beach, FL).
26) Rad Onc private practice with US Oncology (Prescott Valley, AZ).
27) Rad Onc hospital employed with Intermountain Healthcare (Logan, UT).
28) Rad Onc hospital employed with Ballad Health (Abingdon, VA).
29) Rad Onc academics LSU/Ochsner (Shreveport, LA).
30) Rad Onc employed at the VA (Memphis, TN).
31) Rad Onc hospital employed at the Marshfield Medical Center (Eau Claire, WI).
32) Rad Onc private practice at Kadlec Clinic (Kennewick, WA).
33) Rad Onc employed at the VA (Jackson, MS).
34) Rad Onc employed at the Guthrie Clinic (Corning, NY).
35) Rad Onc employed at the VA (East Orange, NJ).
36) Rad Onc hospital employed with Geisinger (Danville, PA).

37-bonus) University of Maryland at Baltimore is looking for a PGY-3 resident.

Today the Astro website list 361 total MD jobs of which 36 are for BE/BC rad oncs.l
Why is the marshfield clinic always looking?