Am I on Track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfundibulumFanatic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope you all have had an enjoyable holiday season so far. I am an OMS-1 heading into my second semester, and I am searching for some advice as I look ahead towards this upcoming semester and summer break. I am really interested in anesthesiology and I want to make sure I am setting myself up for success. My first semester, I really focused on getting my study habits locked in and I was able to finish the semester in the top 5% of my class. I also joined the interest group for anesthesiology for my school and participated in as many events as I could which was a blast. Now that my first semester is over and I feel more confident in my studying, I feel I have some room to start some extracurriculars I am interested in. My problem is there isn't any faculty at my school that are anesthesiologists and I am having trouble finding guidance/mentorship aside from talking with some of my peers who are also interested in anesthesiology. Maybe I am being a little neurotic with this post, but this whole process is so complex and without a good mentor, I am feeling a little lost and I want to make sure I am on track to meet my future professional goals.

I am hoping to get back into the volunteer work I really enjoyed before medical school this next semester now that I feel confident in my studying routine. I also am looking towards doing research this upcoming summer break as I will need some sort of income to pay rent, I am interested in doing research, and I am hoping it will help my residency application in the future. Despite this, I only have limited research experience from undergrad with two poster presentations, and looking at some of the summer research programs that are available (MSARF for example), I can't help but feel underqualified. Is there any way I can realistically gain some research experience during this next semester so I am more likely to be accepted into some sort of research this summer? Is getting research over the summer not as hard as I am imagining? Should I not even be as worried as I am in getting research over the summer if anesthesiology is my goal?

Anyone with past experience through this process who can weigh in is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It’s not research heavy but I would at least have a project to talk about even if it’s not in anesthesia

Reactions: 1 user
Now is the time to look for summer research programs to apply for.
Many are paid and an opportunity to find mentors.
Also look into local, state, and national conferences to attend and build connection.

Reactions: 1 user
Anesthesiology is not a research heavy field so not having any research is not a deal breaker. It is of course a benefit if you are able to have research on your application just because it can help you stand out. The most important things are doing well in your pre-clnical years, passing step 1 on your first attempt, trying to honor your clerkships, getting a good step 2 i.e. >250, and importantly doing aways. I think aways have started to become very important for this specialty when in the past this was never the case. This is even more true for you without having a home program. You will need good letters of rec.

And as @Prehealth1011 eluded to, you should be aware that anesthesiology has become very difficult for DOs in the recent years. All specialties wax and wane in competitiveness so there is no telling how the landscape will be when you apply. I say this not to scare you, but to educate you on the reality of pursuing this specialty. Be prepared to work hard and continue to be successful as you have been and I am certain you will match.

Attachments

• IMG_8620.jpeg
    IMG_8620.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users