Am I on track to matching Diagnostic Radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spes93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year student who just submitted a draft of my portion for my Medical Student Performance Evaluation which has made me reflect and worry about my chances.

My stats:

Step 1 - 260
COMLEX 1 - 699
2H in clinical, 1 HP (4 total so far)
~70th percentile overall I think.

Publications: 0 (case report under review, and now in research team who publishes a lot, so this will hopefully change)
Posters: 2
Presentations: 1

Volunteering: Basically none during med school, delivered food for New York Cares during 1st covid lockdown but that's it for med school (a ton more before med school though)

Tutoring/teaching: 60 hours of informal tutoring for step 1

Leadership: Sort of goes with forming an informal tutor service but nothing else

Letters of recommendation: 1 so far (pediatrician), but high chance of getting another one in internal medicine and one from DR. Maybe more.

---------
So basically right now all I have going for me is Step 1. I want to match in NYC (am NY resident)... am I on track to match NYC or should I be worried and prepare to match elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Dawg, you have a 260.

Goro would tell you to take a xanax and chillax

You'll match almost anywhere you want as long as there is no red flags on your application, you interview well, and you make sure some of the
nyc programs you apply to already have DOs in them.

Dawg, you have a 260.

Goro would tell you to take a xanax and chillax

You'll match almost anywhere you want as long as there is no red flags on your application, you interview well, and you make sure some of the
nyc programs you apply to already have DOs in them.
This is not the case for radiology, at least not this year. DO at my school with top board scores (260s) struggling for interviews (<10).

My advice for OP is publish as much as you can, start networking NOW, do away rotations (the old wisdom of no need for a rads away is failing), and apply everywhere.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not looking good for DOs this year even with high board scores. So, I'd say make sure you audition like crazy and have back up just in case.

I have weird advice, but play up your story hard in your personal statement. If your story was generic, come up with something interesting from your childhood/previous career (if applicable)/research, etc.

I have been pretty dang fortunate this year in rads as far as the number of interviews I have gotten has been for both IR and DR, and I have had multiple, multiple interviewers tell me that they were super interested in my work experience and excited to talk to me because of it. I've had many interviews where I've literally talked about nothing but my work experience and nothing I did in med school even came up. I'm just 240s/250s for boards, which isn't especially incredible for rads this year, so I think my story has me batting above my stats.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have weird advice, but play up your story hard in your personal statement. If your story was generic, come up with something interesting from your childhood/previous career (if applicable)/research, etc.

I have been pretty dang fortunate this year in rads as far as the number of interviews I have gotten has been for both IR and DR, and I have had multiple, multiple interviewers tell me that they were super interested in my work experience and excited to talk to me because of it. I've had many interviews where I've literally talked about nothing but my work experience and nothing I did in med school even came up. I'm just 240s/250s for boards, which isn't especially incredible for rads this year, so I think my story has me batting above my stats.
I agree with this. I'm not applying Rads, but I do notice people on these forums always say your personal statement does not matter much. And I can tell you it does definitely matter a lot more than you think. My unique life experience that I portrayed in my PS comes up in every single one of my interviews so far.

Reactions: 1 user
This is not the case for radiology, at least not this year. DO at my school with top board scores (260s) struggling for interviews (<10).

My advice for OP is publish as much as you can, start networking NOW, do away rotations (the old wisdom of no need for a rads away is failing), and apply everywhere.
You see i’m getting mixed reports on rads but i think the MD and DO worlds are significantly different. Because honestly, DOs with top board scores shouldn’t be struggling to match into rads or get many interviews and yet, that’s not the case for some reason

@efle thoughts pls?

You see i’m getting mixed reports on rads but i think the MD and DO worlds are significantly different. Because honestly, DOs with top board scores shouldn’t be struggling to match into rads or get many interviews and yet, that’s not the case for some reason

@efle thoughts pls?
I don’t have top scores, but they are 5+ points above the average matched rads overall (both MD and DO). Multiple pubs, lots of leadership and work experience, good LoRs, etc. <10 still for me. Definitely should have played up more of my low SES/immigrant past, but I focused more on what made me want to rads than my struggle.

Out of the DOs I know applying rads with above average scores, all have <10 but I’m certain location has played a key role in getting invites this year.

It’s honestly impossible to tell. It was way different than it was predicted for me last year. And it seems worse this year.

You’re doing everything right so keep at it. It’s very likely you’ll match. But as a DO, you really can’t afford to geographically restrict yourself. If you budge on location, you could match into some excellent places like CCF, UPMC, Yale, Jefferson, Case Western. I believe there was even a Vandy match this past year for DR. The New Jersey programs are loaded with people from New York if location is your number one focus.

It's not looking good for DOs this year even with high board scores. So, I'd say make sure you audition like crazy and have back up just in case.
We also have to remember the past two interview seasons really aren’t normal.

The top 20% of all applicants hold like 70% of the interviews, and that’s obviously a problem currently - for most fields.

And yet, 20% of applicants can’t match at 70% of places. It should all pan out

I don’t have top scores, but they are 5+ points above the average matched rads overall (both MD and DO). Multiple pubs, lots of leadership and work experience, good LoRs, etc. <10 still for me. Definitely should have played up more of my low SES/immigrant past, but I focused more on what made me want to rads than my struggle.

Out of the DOs I know applying rads with above average scores, all have <10 but I’m certain location has played a key role in getting invites this year.

Would echo this. I'm a DO applying rads this year with top board scores, high class percentile, and otherwise decent app with real-world work experience (the one significant gap I have is minimal/no research, but no red flags). I applied very broadly all across the country and have <10 interviews, and a couple of the ones I do have are at struggling programs. Geography is HUGE, and my region has few to no DO friendly programs. A couple friends at my school with above average scores and strong apps are also at < 10. This has really been surprising to us all.

So, (1) geography is huge and (2) the advice that high scores will snag a DO interviews at many realistic places they want is simply not true. I didn't get almost any of the places I was told are shoe-ins, and only 1 out of 4 of my cohort applying rads got those places really. And these are people with solid apps/scores who are personable, kind, and intelligent. Yield-protection for people with high scores also likely comes into play (hard to know for sure though).

With all that said, as a DO applying rads geography is critical. Northeast and Southeast are two of the better regions to be in I believe given the number of programs, so OP should have that going for them. If I could go back, I would do multiple aways (only did 1) at places on my level. These are generally automatic interviews, and the importance of that can't be overstated. Also, try and get a mentor or someone who can advocate for you (easier said than done as a DO). Finally, with regards to the actual app cycle, I'd probably send LOIs a little earlier (got multiple interviews from LOIs) and to a ton of places. You gotta scrap and claw for whatever you can get, as everyone else will be doing this as well.

edit: typo

Last edited:
  • Sad
DO applying rads

Would echo this. I'm a DO applying rads this year with top board scores, high class percentile, and otherwise decent app with real-world work experience (the one significant gap I have is minimal/no research, but no red flags). I applied very broadly all across the country and have <10 interviews, and a couple of the ones I do have are at struggling programs. Geography is HUGE, and my region has few to no DO friendly programs. A couple friends at my school with above average scores and strong apps are also at < 10. This has really been surprising to us all.

So, (1) geography is huge and (2) the advice that high scores will snag a DO interviews at many realistic places they want is simply not true. I didn't get almost any of the places I was told are shoe-ins, and only 1 out of 4 of my cohort applying rads got those places really. And these are people with solid apps/scores who are personable, kind, and intelligent. Yield-protection for people with high scores also likely comes into play (hard to know for sure though).

With all that said, as a DO applying rads geography is critical. Northeast and Southeast are two of the better regions to be in I believe given the number of programs, so OP should have that going for them. If I could go back, I would do multiple aways (only did 1) at places on my level. These are generally automatic interviews, and the importance of that can't be overstated. Also, try and get a mentor or someone who can advocate for you (easier said than done as a DO). Finally, with regards to the actual app cycle, I'd probably send LOIs a little earlier (got multiple interviews from LOIs) and to a ton of places. You gotta scrap and claw for whatever you can get, as everyone else will be doing this as well.
I will second the away rotations advice. I attended one at a top tier program and got an IV from that (not guaranteed for their rotators). If I could go back in time, I would have done 3-4 away rotations at my top choices. I got 2/5 of my top 5 and one was through the away rotation, the other was luck.

Also, start reaching out to programs/program residents early. I believe that reaching out got me an invite to my now number 1 program.

Edit: I already mentioned away rotations earlier so I will third it haha

You've received great advice, OP. I think it's important to think about your brand and how you will showcase that on your app. Being from the Northeast will help a ton because those programs and the Midwest won't automatically screen you like they will someone on the west coast or South applying to their programs. It's stupid but it will be perhaps your biggest advantage over other high scoring DOs. HO0v and I definitely experienced yield protection last year so I would not rest on your laurels. You need to push your app to be a bit better for competitive programs to maximize your chances even if you end up preferring a mid tier or community program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Re: the brand, research is one way. Showing a trend in imaging-related pubs or presentations.

As a rads adcom member at a top 10 program, 260 is on the higher side of Step 1 we've matched or interviewed. 284 highest I've seen. Personal statement matters minimal. Letters are a big one - need to get a rad letter. Aways are plus/minus for DR, really important for IR. Extra degrees or other things outside academics are pluses. Female gender is a plus as well.

spes93 - would interview you based on the stats. Get some DR (or IR) experience at home institution or elsewhere, get a LOR or two from rads. You'll do great. No matter whether MD or DO. We don't care about that.

Reactions: 4 users
Just look at the data from last year. Take a weekend off and ground yourself. With your stats, you are at 95%+. Those are great stats for any specialty.

Attachments

• 3D56EF3F-8A7C-4565-81A1-36427A5A4F36.jpeg
    3D56EF3F-8A7C-4565-81A1-36427A5A4F36.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 143
  • Dislike
Just look at the data from last year. Take a weekend off and ground yourself. With your stats, you are at 95%+. Those are great stats for any specialty.
That’s the 2020 match, so actually 2 years ago and before COVID really picked up and changed life. That data is pre-virtual interview world.

That’s the 2020 match, so actually 2 years ago and before COVID really picked up and changed life. That data is pre-virtual interview world.
Yeah, but the major thing that changed is less in-person effort and greater stat reliance. Therefore, if anything, those stats should be stronger for all specialties. Yes, last year was an anomaly. This year will be different again.

However, programs are back to accepting students for audition rotations. Next year will be different for ‘23 again. Only interviews have changed to online only (finally, huge cost saver). Moreover, Step has changed to P/F and a subset of students will be applying with that for class of 2023. Nevertheless, who knows. I think that person is in a solid position as long as they are a decent human being. In the end you put your best application forward and see where you stand.

Yeah, but the major thing that changed is less in-person effort and greater stat reliance. Therefore, if anything, those stats should be stronger for all specialties. Yes, last year was an anomaly. This year will be different again.

However, programs are back to accepting students for audition rotations. Next year will be different for ‘23 again. Only interviews have changed to online only (finally, huge cost saver). Moreover, Step has changed to P/F and a subset of students will be applying with that for class of 2023. Nevertheless, who knows. I think that person is in a solid position as long as they are a decent human being. In the end you put your best application forward and see where you stand.
It is a whole lot murkier than that.

Yes, OP is high stat. I know plenty of applicants like OP... who are having a much worse interview season than I am with rads with my 240s/250s scores. I really think the intangibles are starting to matter a whole lot more. Besides, considering there are 2200 DR apps this year for what was 1100 spots last year and is unlikely to be too many more this year, it's hard to make generalizations about anyone having a 95% chance of matching unless your whole app is well rounded... which OP's is not. Yet, anyway, but OP fortunately still has time to work on this.

It is a whole lot murkier than that.

Yes, OP is high stat. I know plenty of applicants like OP... who are having a much worse interview season than I am with rads with my 240s/250s scores. I really think the intangibles are starting to matter a whole lot more. Besides, considering there are 2200 DR apps this year for what was 1100 spots last year and is unlikely to be too many more this year, it's hard to make generalizations about anyone having a 95% chance of matching unless your whole app is well rounded... which OP's is not. Yet, anyway, but OP fortunately still has time to work on this.
Lot’s of good points. I guess I was generalizing a bit. I look at data over the years post merger. Yes, covid changed the landscape. Yes, it may be a little bit more gray and unknown how things will shape up. Yes, it’s just a best guess.

However, nothing is a sure thing as you can have the best stats and be terrible in person. Talk to PDs. Make some connections. Keep working on the overall app.

OP has done very well, I think that is obvious. Once you audition, rock it, the rest will take care of itself. Keep it up. I am a little jelly of those stats, haha. Strong work.

edit: typo
Did you take Step 2 as well by the times apps were sent out?

Lot’s of good points. I guess I was generalizing a bit. I look at data over the years post merger. Yes, covid changed the landscape. Yes, it may be a little bit more gray and unknown how things will shape up. Yes, it’s just a best guess.

However, nothing is a sure thing as you can have the best stats and be terrible in person. Talk to PDs. Make some connections. Keep working on the overall app.

OP has done very well, I think that is obvious. Once you audition, rock it, the rest will take care of itself. Keep it up. I am a little jelly of those stats, haha. Strong work.
Thanks for the reply! What is something that could be said to PDs in an e-mail? What is your experience with that process?

Thanks again, all very helpful advice!

everything is competitive in the world of virtual interviews for DOs unfortunately. Anesthesia was competitive in 2021, neurology competitive, Internal med even had like a 75 percent match rate for all DOs.

• Haha
^ Welcome to the world of ever-expanding class sizes and school expansions. We are starting to feel the squeeze, and those of us at the bottom of the totem pole DO schools are going to feel it the most. I dual applied DR with very high board scores and an all-around excellent app (IMO). I was very lucky to receive a good amount of interviews. Geography was huge for me and I was lucky to have a lot of nearby programs to both my school and my hometown. That said, I got basically no interest from the upper-tier programs and almost exclusively interviewed at middle-of-the-road academic programs. Not that I would be unhappy to train at those, but I definitely expected to be punching a little higher than I did.

I guess we’ll know when the charting outcomes come out. But I can’t imagine that it’s just massively more people interested in rads than last year. It makes sense to me that there would be increased interest from all the havoc/nonsense from Covid. But seems unlikely that it would cause a massive nope out from clinical medicine.

Reactions: 3 users
everything is competitive in the world of virtual interviews for DOs unfortunately. Anesthesia was competitive in 2021, neurology competitive, Internal med even had like a 75 percent match rate for all DOs.
No Lmfaooo stop making up stuff.. IM was never 75% and neither was neurology. Anesthesia has been getting more competitive but it peaked last year, this year the number of applicants increased by the same number as the number of spots-both had an increase of 2% for gas.

Last edited:
  • Love
I guess we’ll know when the charting outcomes come out. But I can’t imagine that it’s just massively more people interested in rads than last year. It makes sense to me that there would be increased interest from all the havoc/nonsense from Covid. But seems unlikely that it would cause a massive nope out from clinical medicine.
Yea a lot of applicants do use rads as a backup, that's where the high number of applicants comes from.

Yea a lot of applicants do use rads as a backup, that's where the high number of applicants comes from.
I’m well aware. But I doubt there’s significantly more people using it as a backup than normal. More applications certainly. I think that’s really where DOs are getting screwed in a virtual interview world.

I’m well aware. But I doubt there’s significantly more people using it as a backup than normal. More applications certainly. I think that’s really where DOs are getting screwed in a virtual interview world.
I agree but I can see why with Covid and uncertainty of it, more people gunning for the surgical subs are using rads as a back up.. interview hoarding is certainly a bigger deal now.. by both MD's and other DO's as well.. there was a DO I saw on the spreadsheet who went on like 25-30 rads interviews this year, I am sure there are others like them(both MD and DO).. while this is a big deal.. fortunately they can only match at 1 place so things should work itself out.. I mean if you have 8-10 interviews with everything else being ok on your app you should be good to match imo... prbly be ok even with 5-6 interviews but 8-10 is a good spot. Once things go back to in person hopefully next year things will normalize

Last edited:
I agree but I can see why with Covid and uncertainty of it, more people gunning for the surgical subs are using rads as a back up.. interview hoarding is certainly a bigger deal now.. by both MD's and other DO's as well.. there was a DO I saw on the spreadsheet who went on like 25-30 rads interviews this year, I am sure there are others like them(both MD and DO).. while this is a big deal.. fortunately they can only match at 1 place so things should work itself out.. I mean if you have 8-10 interviews with everything else being ok on your app you should be good to match imo... prbly be ok even with 5-6 interviews but 8-10 is a good spot. Once things go back to in person hopefully next year things will normalize
Yeah…see I can’t imagine there’s significantly more surgical sub applicants that are using rads as a backup than last year. Covid existed last year and I’d argue there was more uncertainty then, not less. I do believe that because of the hoarding and what not that it makes it easier to match toward the top of your list. But that list is not as great as it would have been in years past.

I hope you’re right. A part of me thinks virtual interviews are here to stay. Very convenient for programs. I hope I’m wrong on this one though.

Damn that's tough then. How'd you do on it? And if you don't mind me asking how many invites were you able to secure?

Step 1 ~260
Step 2 ~ 255

Perhaps the drop did me in but who knows. No one ever brought it up, and I highly doubt it. Ended up with 6 DR and 10 TY/prelim.

I think the biggest factor is I'm on the West Coast, which is probably one of the worst areas to be as a DO applying to any specialty that is remotely competitive (i.e. it's DO unfriendly).

• Care
Step 1 ~260
Step 2 ~ 255

Perhaps the drop did me in but who knows. No one ever brought it up, and I highly doubt it. Ended up with 6 DR and 10 TY/prelim.

I think the biggest factor is I'm on the West Coast, which is probably one of the worst areas to be as a DO applying to any specialty that is remotely competitive (i.e. it's DO unfriendly).
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realize that being a west coast DO was my limiting factor. Step 1 ~250, step 2 ~255 and have 9 DR, 5 TY/prelim. Wish I had done more aways on the east coast at some of my other top choices. What a year.

If anyone is interested, I would be down to make a DO rads support group/chat thread as match day approaches.

• Care
Step 1 ~260
Step 2 ~ 255

Ridiculous, the west coast thing combined with Covid making everything super regional is what stings... interviews need to go back to being in
person.. period..
The rads spreadsheet has DO's with lower and simmilar stats with 15-20+(One DO even had 30+ lol) interviews while there are others with less than 10 smh....

My program’s leadership has been lamenting recently that they think online Interviews are here to stay based on what they are hearing through the grapevine. The ABS is even toying with the idea of keeping the oral board exam virtual indefinitely.

I’m sure some programs will go back to being in person, but I don’t think we ever will return to how it was before COVID. Something’s have simply fundamentally changed in the med ed world.

My program’s leadership has been lamenting recently that they think online Interviews are here to stay based on what they are hearing through the grapevine. The ABS is even toying with the idea of keeping the oral board exam virtual indefinitely.

I’m sure some programs will go back to being in person, but I don’t think we ever will return to how it was before COVID. Something’s have simply fundamentally changed in the med ed world.
There needs to be interview caps then

Ridiculous, the west coast thing combined with Covid making everything super regional is what stings... interviews need to go back to being in
person.. period..
The rads spreadsheet has DO's with lower and simmilar stats with 15-20+(One DO even had 30+ lol) interviews while there are others with less than 10 smh....
Can’t understand those numbers of interviews. I’m in the northeast and got nowhere near that last year. I’m tempted to just chalk it up to trolling.

Can’t understand those numbers of interviews. I’m in the northeast and got nowhere near that last year. I’m tempted to just chalk it up to trolling.
Someone responded saying they were lying/trolling and they said they weren't, and why would they lol? It's just luck of the draw I guess, but even you prbly had more than 10 IV's tho?

Someone responded saying they were lying/trolling and they said they weren't, and why would they lol? It's just luck of the draw I guess, but even you prbly had more than 10 IV's tho?
People absolutely 100% troll on the DR spreadsheet (and others).

I don't doubt some people are trolling but it's also not out of the realm of possibilities. We all know someone who matched way beyond their league due to personal connections (attending parents/siblings) etc. I know many people without USMLE, COMLEX only (<510), 0 ECEs, even a few red flags who matched very well (received 3-5 interviews total) but matched at the same (academic) institution as their parent/sibling in various specialties including radiology. It's very well these individuals have 1) high scores 2) great ECs 3) personal connections

Would you believe if I said my school (low-tier) has matched ortho, ENT, ophtho applicants who had 0 research? It's rare but it does happen. Anything is possible. Someone will always be the exception the same way some people with 10+ rankings don't match

Last edited:
Because this process brings out the worst in people and those terrible/toxic gunners you’ve been dealing with for four years have an outlet to be worse than they are in person which is already awful.

I had 12 interviews.
I don't doubt some people are trolling but it's also not out of the realm of possibilities. We all know someone who matched way beyond their league due to personal connections (attending parents/siblings) etc. I know many people without USMLE, COMLEX only (<510), 0 ECEs, even a few red flags who matched very well (received 3-5 interviews total) but matched at the same (academic) institution as their parent/sibling in various specialties including radiology. It's very well these individuals have 1) high scores 2) great ECs 3) personal connections

Would you believe if I said my school (low-tier) has matched ortho, ENT, ophtho applicants who had 0 research? It's rare but it does happen. Anything is possible. Someone will always be the exception the same way some people with 10+ rankings don't match
I get your point and I don’t want to diminish it, but If we’re talking about radical exceptions of personal connections or whatever else, I’m not sure what relevance that has to explain DOs with lower scores having higher numbers of interviews. Either it’s trolling or exceptional personal connections that somehow gave them an “in” at multiple residency programs across the country (sure). Regardless, it’s not data we can draw conclusions from.

Because this process brings out the worst in people and those terrible/toxic gunners you’ve been dealing with for four years have an outlet to be worse than they are in person which is already awful.

I had 12 interviews.

I get your point and I don’t want to diminish it, but If we’re talking about radical exceptions of personal connections or whatever else, I’m not sure what relevance that has to explain DOs with lower scores having higher numbers of interviews. Either it’s trolling or exceptional personal connections that somehow gave them an “in” at multiple residency programs across the country (sure). Regardless, it’s not data we can draw conclusions from.
Just pointing out that those with a high number of interviews likely have everything you have (high scores, good personality, etc) PLUS great connections. I used the example of people with low scores/low # interviews matching successfully due to a strong personal connection to show how much impact it can have. Again, these connections paired with high scores, research/ECs etc can make someone stand out in a good way

With Covid and virtual interviews and interview hoarding.. do you guys think the # of interviews needed to successfully match in something like rads or anesthesia will go down? I mean I hear like the top 20% of candidates hold like 70% of invites but they can only match at one place. Something like 5-6 invites should be good to match somewhere I think?

With Covid and virtual interviews and interview hoarding.. do you guys think the # of interviews needed to successfully match in something like rads or anesthesia will go down? I mean I hear like the top 20% of candidates hold like 70% of invites but they can only match at one place. Something like 5-6 invites should be good to match somewhere I think?
I think the actual numbers on this were that the top 15% held like 37% of invites or something along those lines. Some program published the data in late 2021 but I don’t remember which. Hopefully, that’s the case and having a smaller number of invites means a higher chance of matching.

Likely yes. I think it actually means that DOs have a higher chance of matching at the top of their list as well. That’s what happens when programs fill half their ROL with students from top schools who will never come there lol.

No Lmfaooo stop making up stuff.. IM was never 75% and neither was neurology. Anesthesia has been getting more competitive but it peaked last year, this year the number of applicants increased by the same number as the number of spots-both had an increase of 2% for gas.
I was just going to post when i saw this dude say 75% match for IM lmao kids are high. Can count on my boy to set em straight lol beat me to it

Likely yes. I think it actually means that DOs have a higher chance of matching at the top of their list as well. That’s what happens when programs fill half their ROL with students from top schools who will never come there lol.
Wait so you're speculating that DOs have higher chance of matching at top of their list for IM? Thats reassuring! Hope that ends up as the case. Your logic makes sense