Am I crazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flydentist

Reaction score
Hello practicing dental professionals!

I pose this question to you because I'm interested to know what it's really like a few years after you graduate.

Obviously you say that I need to worry about getting into and graduating dental school, and that is a slight worry. But I'm confident I can make it happen. I did fine in flight school and crushed the air forces version of Top Gun, even taught there for a period of time. I'm sure I can handle the rigors of Dental school. (Not trying to be arrogant)

I'm more looking at what is the lifestyle like when you are out? I won't have any debt and will have a substantial pension. But I desire to do something that is challenging yet rewarding with lots of social interaction and provides me with greater than 220K of income annually without it being my life. I love the science of how the human body works and working with my hands, but I don't want all the strings of being an ER doctor or time to get there. While I fully understand I won't have the same level of day to day adrenaline that I've been accustomed to, I think I can find fulfillment in leading a group of heavily motivated professionals in a dental office. I am looking for some autonomy though...hence why I am completely stepping away from the government sector.

While I will be 42 when I start...I've enjoyed crushing the Prerequisite courses over the last year and embrace this challenge!

Looking for any spears or BS Flags you all might have in my thought process, especially from you who have had some time under your belt to reflect.

Thanks,
Fly

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I did fine in flight school and crushed the air forces version of Top Gun
4B144DD9-AA58-4E5A-98DE-F66D8480C553.jpeg

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

and provides me with greater than 220K of income annually without it being my life.
That’s probably on the higher side of a starting associate general dentist today. But, by the time you finish school, given our current Bidenflation, that $220k will be the price of a used Kia Sorento.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 6 users
View attachment 364270

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

That’s probably on the higher side of a starting associate general dentist today. But, by the time you finish school, given our current Bidenflation, that $220k will be the price of a used Kia Sorento.

Big Hoss
There is always one! 🤣 I take no offense. I definitely capitalized on the more laid back nature of the Air Force. But I sure had fun for 17 years.

Ok...so I will be driving a Kia sorrento LOL...I'm more thinking within a few years after school? It's mostly a comparison of what I could do in a boring day to day as a government employee or contractor. I feel like there is a lot more upside potential, especially if I own.

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)

I pose this question to you because I'm interested to know what it's really like a few years after you graduate.

Obviously you say that I need to worry about getting into and graduating dental school, and that is a slight worry. But I'm confident I can make it happen. I did fine in flight school and crushed the air forces version of Top Gun, even taught there for a period of time. I'm sure I can handle the rigors of Dental school. (Not trying to be arrogant)

I'm more looking at what is the lifestyle like when you are out? I won't have any debt and will have a substantial pension. But I desire to do something that is challenging yet rewarding with lots of social interaction and provides me with greater than 220K of income annually without it being my life. I love the science of how the human body works and working with my hands, but I don't want all the strings of being an ER doctor or time to get there. While I fully understand I won't have the same level of day to day adrenaline that I've been accustomed to, I think I can find fulfillment in leading a group of heavily motivated professionals in a dental office. I am looking for some autonomy though...hence why I am completely stepping away from the government sector.

While I will be 42 when I start...I've enjoyed crushing the Prerequisite courses over the last year and embrace this challenge!

Looking for any spears or BS Flags you all might have in my thought process, especially from you who have had some time under your belt to reflect.

Thanks,
Fly
In case you wondering...

Dental school nowadays is not worth it, unless you’re really passionate about healthcare. It’s too expensive (some programs cost up to $700k) and most current students have no idea how low entry-level salaries are. I know recent graduates who earn $500 minimum daily guarantee. That’s a joke. To become very skilled you need several years of practice, many clinical hours and a lot of additional financial investment in CE courses.
Dentistry is very stressful and hard on your body. There are so many professions out there that allow you to make a positive change in your community and still have a good income but with less stress than being a dentist. Graduating at >42 is not the same as graduating in your late 20s. It is doable, but I am not so sure it is worth it. Foreign trained dentists who come to the USA and do the IDP for 2.5-3y and graduate after the age of 42y are in a different position than you because they are experienced and fast and can earn easily good money as they have worked before.
You can open a business. There are many non-dentists who own dental practices.
Life goes so quickly. Enjoy it!
I hope you find your call and professional fulfillment in dentistry or any other field you may choose. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
$500 minimum daily guarantee. That’s a joke.
Agree!
Dentistry is very stressful and hard on your body.
I say this tongue-in-cheek...but it can't be worse than 20 years and 4000hrs In a 63 year old airplane sitting on an ejection seat that was designed on a bar napkin by a Boeing engineer.in the 1950's

All valid points to consider...thanks for your time!

Reactions: 2 users
I think I can find fulfillment in leading a group of heavily motivated professionals in a dental office.

I have never worked in a private practice that I would describe like this. If you find a "heavily motivated professional" person in a dental office, they aren't going to be there for very long because they will have motivated themselves to become a dentist.

Reactions: 7 users
Dentistry is hard on the body, I agree with what others have said. Your reply of "not being as hard as being in a plane" is probably very accurate, however, you're comparing your younger self. Would you be able to handle that plane is 15 years? Doubt it. Will you be able to handle being a dentist in 15 years? Doubt it. You'll want to slow down by then. So that essentially leaves you with 10 years to be a dentist after it takes you 5 years to become one.
I don't think it's worth it tbh

At your age no ****ing way I would become a dentist.

Reactions: 3 users
If you’ll have no debt then go for it. There are many ways to surround yourself with motivated people, such as a multi specialty or group practice.

Dentistry is easier on your body than flying a jet. Tons of dentists work into their 60s-70s with no problems. Your body will be fine.

At 42 years old, I would be looking at semi retirement (be debt free) and the tennis courts and trying to cut back to 3 days a week while maintaining my practice on autopilot.

At 42 as a new grad you will prob have to put 1-2 years in some associateship gaining speed to then open a practice or buy a practice (go into debt) and working hard making that work for 3-5 years before it can go on autopilot.

Then you will be 50 and a lot of things breakdown at 50. Health eyesight mental etc.

So while you sit hustling in your 40s, I’ll be chilling at the beach.

I don’t think it’s worth it to be honest. It’s a late start in a career that is physically and mentally demanding and no one can guarantee that you will be working into your 60-70s.

Instead I would live life to the fullest while you still have your “youth” instead of grinding out days in corporate dentistry and or dental school.

Finally the comment of 220k income without it being my life comment is pretty comical. Dentistry isn’t easy. Grinding 220k as an associate is hard work. It will be your life like 5 days a week 8 hours a day and 2-3 columns. You will be tired. Grinding 220k as an owner is doable but you have to put in the time and effort to build the practice up which takes years.

So if that’s really the question 220k without it being your life- then dentistry is the wrong choice for you. If you had said 125-150k without it being your life I would say that’s more reasonable. But at that income level- I would just go into dental hygiene. 2 years of school, minimal debt and an hour starting wage in Washington stage that is higher then new grad dentists.

Last edited:
One of my classmates in dental school used to be a commercial pilot... he was well over 40+ yrs old. So if you want to do it, go for it. Just remember that dentistry is physically demanding, unless you want to become an oral radiologist (interpreting cbct all day).

Also you'll be in somewhere around 300-500k debt for dental school if GI Bill isn't available for you for whatever reason.... something to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
At 42 years old, I would be looking at semi retirement (be debt free) and the tennis courts and trying to cut back to 3 days a week while maintaining my practice on autopilot.

At 42 as a new grad you will prob have to put 1-2 years in some associateship gaining speed to then open a practice or buy a practice (go into debt) and working hard making that work for 3-5 years before it can go on autopilot.

Then you will be 50 and a lot of things breakdown at 50. Health eyesight mental etc.

So while you sit hustling in your 40s, I’ll be chilling at the beach.

I don’t think it’s worth it to be honest. It’s a late start in a career that is physically and mentally demanding and no one can guarantee that you will be working into your 60-70s.

Instead I would live life to the fullest while you still have your “youth” instead of grinding out days in corporate dentistry and or dental school.
I will have a pension higher than most peoples average annual income at 42. I'm doing this because I like to keep the throttles up. If I want to take it easy and work less, I'll have a pension and lots of investment income too to do that. I'm mostly looking for something that I enjoy that will keep me busy until 55, then something I can still do to keep me on my feet and fund my hobbies without touching savings.

From the non monetary side...I enjoy being challenged and enjoy helping people so it sounds like a win-win. I just can't have it result in a net loss.

Thanks!

I will have a pension higher than most peoples average annual income at 42. I'm doing this because I like to keep the throttles up. If I want to take it easy and work less, I'll have a pension and lots of investment income too to do that. I'm mostly looking for something that I enjoy that will keep me busy until 55, then something I can still do to keep me on my feet and fund my hobbies without touching savings.

From the non monetary side...I enjoy being challenged and enjoy helping people so it sounds like a win-win. I just can't have it result in a net loss.

Thanks!

So basically, you will still be paying for the school and the practice but still be debt free because you are loaded with money.

I mean at the end of the day- it's your money and being debt free means you can do anything. Do I think there are better ways to spend that money.... uhh yes. I would rather live on a budget working minimal and enjoying life, but if you are full throttle working 5 days a week in a new career and that makes you happy-then go for it.

Do I think you are crazy? Yes

There are tons of people that if they were in your position would choose a hobby and live on investment income, travel and enjoy life rather then grind out dentistry at 42. But that's your choice and I respect that.

So basically, you will still be paying for the school and the practice but still be debt free because you are loaded with money.
Not loaded with money, just shrewd. School will be 100% free. So just the practice, also the 6 figure pension happens just for waking up in the morning. It will be work no doubt...but I figure after 10 years I will have the flexibility to slow down of I want to.

Not loaded with money, just shrewd. School will be 100% free. So just the practice, also the 6 figure pension happens just for waking up in the morning. It will be work no doubt...but I figure after 10 years I will have the flexibility to slow down of I want to.
Nice.

So it sounds like you are set in your path. Best of luck!

Are you crazy? Yes!

Find something better with your time(spending time with kids, new hobby) and use your gi bill for your kids college. Even if you get into dental school there’s no guarantee you’ll get into a state school. GI bill barely makes a dent on tuition at a private school(600k+ cost of attendance)

Also I was just curious. You said you will have a pension higher than most people’s average income. Did you retire as a colonel? Even if you did legacy system it’s 50% of your base pay BEFORE tax. O-6 over 20 years i~$12,000 so you’re looking at ~$6,000 before tax. Did you get some sort of disability or something?

Last edited:
Are you crazy? Yes!

Find something better with your time(spending time with kids, new hobby) and use your gi bill for your kids college. Even if you get into dental school there’s no guarantee you’ll get into a state school. GI bill barely makes a dent on tuition at a private school(600k+ cost of attendance)

Also I was just curious. You said you will have a pension higher than most people’s average income. Did you retire as a colonel? Even if you did legacy system it’s 50% of your base pay BEFORE tax. O-6 over 20 years i~$12,000 so you’re looking at ~$6,000 before tax. Did you get some sort of disability or something?
Thanks for your input. I'm getting that response a lot.. I do agree if I had a family that would be the plan. I do appreciate folks honesty on whether the juice is worth the squeeze.

6 figure includes disability and rental income. The straight pension/disability portion is slightly under 6 figure with about 1/3 being untaxed. I'm basically just interested in investing that, while I still have the horsepower. Tbh I've felt pretty unfulfilled the last few years. I'm not one who can just sit at home on the regular.

I fully expect these kinds of reactions....I just want to make a calculated risk decision using info from folks who live it. Maybe it isn't the right path.

That’s also contingent on Uncle Sam staying solvent...

Big Hoss

• Haha
As usual sdn naysayers come out in droves. I had classmates graduate at the same age as you and they’re loving life and killing it. It sounds like you like to hustle which counts for a lot. I say go for it!

Reactions: 4 users
Well, I for one plan on collecting all that social security I paid over the last 20 years of my life. 🤣
Good luck with that! The Social Security trust fund dries up in the next decade. At that point SS recipients will face a 25-30% drop in benefits. I’m not expecting to see a dime. Best you can probably do is to help yourself to some office supplies before you leave the AF.

Big Hoss

As usual sdn naysayers come out in droves. I had classmates graduate at the same age as you and they’re loving life and killing it. It sounds like you like to hustle which counts for a lot. I say go for it!

I like to think that painting a realistic picture of dentistry is a better look then the top 1%. We all know those dentists OON, Cosmetic FFS, that are driving the latest porsche and living in the country club....and then we know 99% others that have a middle class lifestyle 4-5 days a week driving an upper middle class car and paying off their student loan well into old age.

In addition, you have to evaluate the part of where dentistry was and where it is going. 5 years ago- I was doing great compared to other professions. Today- I am doing great compared to other professions. BUT if you compare DENTISTRY wise 5 years ago- I was WAY better off. Dentistry in general is a declining field because we are subject to wage inflation, supply inflation, and higher input costs. My rent 5 years ago was 4000ish. Today its 5000ish, When I renew it will be easy 6-7k. Same with wages, and supplies. Covid has accelerated the process because literally 5 years ago...it was a 3% annual raise... in one year 2021-2022 I had to give a 25% raise to staff to keep them on board. That is a 10 years worth of raises in 1 year which obviously affects your bottom line. I can literally hire a new grad dentist today at 50$ an hour....for hygiene only and it would make more sense then hiring a new grad hygienist at 70$ an hour. Does that make sense? no.

In 5-10 more years, I will look back at 2023 and say dam- I was better off in 2023 then in 2027. And so on. But compared to other professions- sure we are loving the 4 day work week and enjoying the 3 day weekends. I'll be in corporate dentistry or FQHC by 2030 though. My accountant and I see the writing on the wall. The solo practice is a dying field. Corporate and big clinics should be ok.

I like to think that painting a realistic picture of dentistry is a better look then the top 1%. We all know those dentists OON, Cosmetic FFS, that are driving the latest porsche and living in the country club....and then we know 99% others that have a middle class lifestyle 4-5 days a week driving an upper middle class car and paying off their student loan well into old age.

In addition, you have to evaluate the part of where dentistry was and where it is going. 5 years ago- I was doing great compared to other professions. Today- I am doing great compared to other professions. BUT if you compare DENTISTRY wise 5 years ago- I was WAY better off. Dentistry in general is a declining field because we are subject to wage inflation, supply inflation, and higher input costs. My rent 5 years ago was 4000ish. Today its 5000ish, When I renew it will be easy 6-7k. Same with wages, and supplies. Covid has accelerated the process because literally 5 years ago...it was a 3% annual raise... in one year 2021-2022 I had to give a 25% raise to staff to keep them on board. That is a 10 years worth of raises in 1 year which obviously affects your bottom line.

In 5-10 more years, I will look back at 2023 and say dam- I was better off in 2023 then in 2027. And so on. But compared to other professions- sure we are loving the 4 day work week and enjoying the 3 day weekends. I'll be in corporate dentistry or FQHC by 2030 though, so to each his own.
I love this perspective and precise analysis! Thank you so much. anything you wish you would have tweaked...that would have made a difference for you today?

I love this perspective and precise analysis! Thank you so much. anything you wish you would have tweaked...that would have made a difference for you today?

Nothing much. I enjoy my job. I enjoy the 3 day weekends and 4 weeks off in a year. In general, the field is just slowly changing and it's not something that I would probably keep doing in the future as a solo practitioner. The key is basically staying grounded and keeping reasonable expectations. Dentistry 10 years ago is not the same today. I would even argue dentistry pre-pandemic was much different then today. Being a business owner during an inflationary time is hard- and who knows if we ever go back to 2% inflation. It might be a few years of 4-5% inflation.

I do plan on working into my late 40's as a semi-retired doc working for corp/someone else to keep busy, health insurance etc, and take more time off to do more hobbies/hang out with family. Who knows- maybe I'll try out for TOP GUN airforce and fly planes instead. That sounds alot better then doing fillings. :)

Last edited:
Listen close, hotshot (lol)...

You are 42 right now...by the time you graduate, you will likely be 47-48 years of age. If you get into a non-state school, expect at-least 400-500K of debt. You do the math with the debt accruing on that. The first few years out, you will likely make 150-200K working 5 (sometimes 6) days a week. That will make you 50. You open your own office with a good business plan. Year 1 will likely be a wash (small net profit). By year 3, you should be making $300K+. That will make you 53. Now you want to save for retirement and pay off your debts. The math adds up if you want to work till you are 70. I am 40 right now, and with all the physical labor involved in my job, no way I am working past 55.

Good luck.

Listen close, hotshot (lol)...

You are 42 right now...by the time you graduate, you will likely be 47-48 years of age. If you get into a non-state school, expect at-least 400-500K of debt. You do the math with the debt accruing on that. The first few years out, you will likely make 150-200K working 5 (sometimes 6) days a week. That will make you 50. You open your own office with a good business plan. Year 1 will likely be a wash (small net profit). By year 3, you should be making $300K+. That will make you 53. Now you want to save for retirement and pay off your debts. The math adds up if you want to work till you are 70. I am 40 right now, and with all the physical labor involved in my job, no way I am working past 55.

Good luck.

Yup. My accountant says the biggest problem with dentists are those that overstretch their budget or overestimate their earnings...and then their lifestyle eats away at their retirement date and or something happens in life that affects their overall well being. A hand injury, a back injury, a neck thing etc.

He's like save money save money save money, invest wisely, and don't be the 90% of dentists that are bent over doing class 2's at age 50-60 with no retirement in sight because they didn't plan financially. I'll be fishing and playing tennis while the others sit around doing class 2's.

I am old enough to live through a few cycles of economic recessions and economic recoveries….but not old enough to witness the Carter-era’s recession:). I heard that people had to wait in line to get gasoline and the interest rates were in 10+% range. I came to the US during Reagan’s 2nd term.

Like other recessions, I am sure this Covid-19 recession will go away and will be followed by another economic boom after that. During the housing market crash in 2008, my offices had faced a decline in gross income….my bonuses (I worked part time for the corp) were on a decline as well. And then things started to improve...unemployment rate went from 10+% down to less than 5%. My offices got better. My bonuses at the corp office went back up again. We, dentists, had only suffered a slight decline in income during the recession and we still had our job. A lot of people lost their jobs….many couldn’t find work and gave up the job searches. Many lost their houses. And we, dentists, still have our houses.

This Covid-19 recession is the first one for many young dentist, who graduated less than 10-15 years ago. That’s why many of them are scared. It’s like having a first car wreck. Old dentists like me, 2MTHVR, Dr.Jeff, are not very surprised by this. If things are getting bad, you don’t raise the staff salaries to keep them happy. You should cut their hours instead. If they are not happy, then they can leave. When my office was slow during the 2008 recession (and during this current Covid-19 recession), I had to cut my staff ‘s hours because my appt book (was) is not as full as before. There’s no reason to pay the staff and let them sit around doing nothing due to a slow day. Work hard, save money for the future, and live everyday like you are in a recession and you will be fine. Write down monthly budget and don’t overspend….even when your office is doing well.

Flydentist, I agree with Psiyung and Jst21121. I think starting school at 42 is too late. If you are single, have no kids, and no school debt by the time you graduate from dental school, then I guess you can do whatever you want.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Fly
The cost of dental school makes your plan untenable imo. Also, I don’t like the part where you “don’t want to make it your life” because it should and will be your life for some time, even after training. Dentistry is hard.

Why not do something that is cheaper and faster, like Physician Assistant or Nursing? Or stay in aviation?

The debt makes your plan untenable. Also, I don’t like the part where you “don’t want to make it your life” because it should/ will be your life for some time, even after training.
I think this is too much responsibility, financially and professionally, at this stage imo.

Why not do some that is cheaper and faster, like Physician Assistant or Nursing? Or stay in aviation?
I appreciate your opinion...are you talking about debt from ownership? Any business has debt...hell i have a huge chunk of unrealized debt in a home right now. I won't have school debt. PA is a 3 year program and much less return on investment potential for the same amount of schooling. By not making it my life...I mean I don't want to be on call in an ER or forced to do anything really unless it's by choice. Responsibility doesn't bother me in the least bit if I'm passionate about it. Also to be frank...I'm not in love with flying...I love doing the other things that come with flying this particular airplane, and it just isn't something I can do in the civilian world.

I'll be the first to admit, that level of responsibility is not for everyone. I definitely appreciate the honesty.

Cheers!

I'm in my mid-40s and have been practicing since my mid-20s. Yes, you are crazy for all the reasons listed above. Go to PA school instead.

Last edited:
I am still a student and almost 20 years younger, but in my opinion the biggest hurdle that most incoming dental students aren't prepared for is the expense that tuition and living really is in dental school. That is also one of the biggest pressures young dentists are stressed about and leads them to burnout. It seems like you have a handle on that so I don't really see that as an issue.

As for your age, I think it is important to factor that you aren't going to be in the same physical shape as most dentists are at 42. I'm sure with being in the AF that you maintained pretty excellent health and fitness will be your career longevity's limiting factor. If you're able to keep up with that and focus on practicing in ergonomic positions your dental career could very well last into your 70's.

As for income, who knows what the next 5 years will bring with inflation and dental insurances limiting the amount they pay providers, but I think highly motivated people can always find ways to adapt and still earn a substantial income. I think the most important question is why are you choosing dentistry? Is it for the perceived lifestyle and level of income or is it a type of work that you would enjoy doing even if you didn't make all that you hoped for. Answering that honestly to yourself is hard, but I think will really give you your answer to whether or not you should apply to dental school.

TL;DR I don't think you're crazy

I am still a student and almost 20 years younger, but in my opinion the biggest hurdle that most incoming dental students aren't prepared for is the expense that tuition and living really is in dental school. That is also one of the biggest pressures young dentists are stressed about and leads them to burnout. It seems like you have a handle on that so I don't really see that as an issue.

As for your age, I think it is important to factor that you aren't going to be in the same physical shape as most dentists are at 42. I'm sure with being in the AF that you maintained pretty excellent health and fitness will be your career longevity's limiting factor. If you're able to keep up with that and focus on practicing in ergonomic positions your dental career could very well last into your 70's.

As for income, who knows what the next 5 years will bring with inflation and dental insurances limiting the amount they pay providers, but I think highly motivated people can always find ways to adapt and still earn a substantial income. I think the most important question is why are you choosing dentistry? Is it for the perceived lifestyle and level of income or is it a type of work that you would enjoy doing even if you didn't make all that you hoped for. Answering that honestly to yourself is hard, but I think will really give you your answer to whether or not you should apply to dental school.

TL;DR I don't think you're crazy

I think there is a misconception that pilots in the air force fly like top gun Tom cruise and go on crazy missions everyday.

But the reality is that it’s not like that.

Same like dentistry. The day in and out of dentistry is much different then what people think.

Agree...a lot of my sorties where 18+ hrs with about 60 minutes of fun stuff. It's hit or miss whether folks take good physical care of themselves in the flying world. I do though, mostly out of boredom from sitting in a desk 4 days of the week.

How is the actual day to day as a dentist different, do you think?

Some days are extremely tiresome. Lots of fills. Physically and mentally drained.

Some days are emotionally and socially draining. You will meet a lot of personalities and some are hard to work with and it will drain you… then you go home and have to put a smile on your face and be friendly.

Some days are boring. Cancellations. No money coming in.

Some days are stressful. Overstretched your schedule? Plus difficult patients. Plus staff maybe having an argument.

Some days are straightforward clock in and clock out.

I would say that is the norm. A blend of all the examples with sometimes there is an extreme pulled to one direction. Some days you have tons of fillings that tire you out and some days you have lots of difficult patients. Regardless I would say a blend of all examples given above is the best way to explain dentistry.

Very rarely do I get a challenging clinical case. After 1-2 years in dentistry it becomes routine.

Very rarely do I get thanked. Dentistry is a thankless job. A lot of patients will say I hate the dentist and or “wow more dental work I’m paying for your kids college fund eh”

I don’t even remember the last time I got a genuine thank you aside from Christmas wishes.

That’s basically the norm day to day operations of dentistry.

Oh I forgot the last thing about dentistry is that the day tends to go by fast. I feel like I show up do work and go home. Physical labor makes the work time go by fast. If you have ever had a desk job you can understand what it means when it feels like forever before you can go home as time goes by so slowly. In dentistry it feels like time flies by and you are on your 3 day weekend in a blink of an eye.

Very rarely do I get a challenging clinical case. After 1-2 years in dentistry it becomes routine
That is exactly how I have felt about flying for the last 7 years or so. It's a kind of...I've done everything I've wanted to do feeling.

I don't know what you are trying to do here.
You chose a new path for you and you are saying you are crazy because you are old?
Should old people just vanish and retire at 40 now?

Retire and do what?

Like what answers you are looking to find here?
Are you trying to find people to tell you that you are not crazy?
or do you want people to tell you are?

My answer is: You are never crazy to do something you love and passionate about no matter how old you are.

Older students in our schools are doing just as well as younger students, if not even better. Many of them are even specializing.

Do whatever you desire.

Last words: You are not crazy, you are an inspiration! Always remember that!

I lied, wasn't my last words: Dental school is very very draining and sucks the life out of people, so be prepared to such journey.