Feeling incredible anxiety that I am graduating dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthowins

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be graduating dental school in the coming weeks. Instead of feeling a sense of happiness, I am feeling incredible anxiety about the next chapter of my life. Before someone asks, no, it is not about the debt that I am most nervous about (I will be graduating with the least amount of debt possible anyways). I just wish I had gotten more out of dental school, learned more, had more experiences, etc. I will be doing a GPR before going out in the real world, but I worry that I will not be able to soak in enough in that short year. Can someone please offer advice on what I can do more to be an above average general dentist? Any recommendations on podcasts, books, experiences, CE courses, etc etc? Are these feelings of anxiety normal?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes completely normal.
I was in your shoes not too long ago. There are still some cases that make me little nervous.

Good thing is learning doesnt stop when you graduate from DS or gpr. You will continue to learn and improve while you are working. I bet most of your classmates are nervous too

Reactions: 2 users
Perfectly normal. Just show up to your GPR each day ready to learn as much as you can. Volunteer to take on extra cases or stay late if you see a learning opportunity. Ask questions to your attendings. Read up on new techniques you can use in your practice. Read up on literature for any areas you feel deficient in. Keep an eye on CEs offered that interest you or think will help you to improve. Continue to learn as much as you can about dentistry. Be kind to patients and make them feel at home in your office. Be kind to your office staff and give them the best possible work environment. To be an above average dentist you have to put above average work into perfecting your craft.

Members don't see this ad :)
Put on your big boy pants. Lots of graduates- graduate dental school straight into full columns at a clinic and do just fine. While those people adapt to the real world- they also get paid $. Confidence comes with time of course- but there are many people- including me, that jumped in to a full schedule and just adapted.

You are a DOCTOR. Remember that.

Reactions: 4 users
Be careful of CE that is masquerading as education and is really just promoting techniques and products.

I think it is natural to feel how you feel, but you’re going to a safe educational environment so I don’t think you should stress. You’ll learn much more in your year of gpr compared to your two years of dental school clinic.

you’ll find your way. It’s hard, but it’s part of the deal.

The biggest challenge for new grads now is how few reps you guys are actually getting. The clinical experience is really poor at most school. But you’re not alone.

You're going to a GPR to learn a crap ton more about actually providing dentistry, I had to learn on the fly after sitting at home for 8 months of my final year from covid, I did just fine, you'll be fine.

Hmmm GPR program is a waste. Just go work for Aspen dental for 1 year. That’s like 4 years of working at a private practice packed into 1 year. No joke.

I did 2 years there, now I’m like a Navy Seal. I don’t even look at my schedule any more because I’m so damn confident. Hahaha.

You will learn a lot by doing the GPR and will be far ahead in terms of confidence than other grads. Not to worry about the experience you will do fine.

Hi everyone,

I will be graduating dental school in the coming weeks. Instead of feeling a sense of happiness, I am feeling incredible anxiety about the next chapter of my life. Before someone asks, no, it is not about the debt that I am most nervous about (I will be graduating with the least amount of debt possible anyways). I just wish I had gotten more out of dental school, learned more, had more experiences, etc. I will be doing a GPR before going out in the real world, but I worry that I will not be able to soak in enough in that short year. Can someone please offer advice on what I can do more to be an above average general dentist? Any recommendations on podcasts, books, experiences, CE courses, etc etc? Are these feelings of anxiety normal?

Thank you.
Doing a GPR puts you in exactly the right place right now.

For the next couple of weeks I would suggest reading for pleasure, visiting with friends, taking in some night life, getting a hair cut/style, sleeping late, eating ice cream, some minor shopping therapy and basicly take it easy. You may never have this kind of free time again. Use it well.

Reactions: 1 user
I was talking with one of the old faculty yesterday and today.
He told me the graduation requirements at the school has changed to only 2 crowns (in terms of fixed prosth). I LOL’d I couldn’t believe it.

I too would be feeling completely unprepared if I was a general dentist with only 2 crowns under my belt.
When I graduated dental school I hustled hard and finished with these procedures

10 root canals
26 crowns
250 restorative
>300 extractions
11 arches removable

I also did a community health externship for 6 weeks seeing up to 10 patients a day.

Keep in mind all this was done while I also did 8-9 weeks of omfs externships.

Dental school was not easy back then for me but I worked hard and hustled hard. I even recall paying to do 3 root canals because a patient couldn’t pay for it.

This mindset also translated into me pulling high numbers in omfs residency.

Even back then in dental school kids still had the same issue as they do now. Not enough patients and procedure to graduate and students not graduating on time.
But never did I imagine the requirements would drop from 20 indirect units to only 2.

My post obviously can’t help someone who’s about to graduate but for someone who’s still in dental school reading this - work hard and try to do as many procedures as possible to avoid having to do a gpr if your trying to become a general dentist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm GPR program is a waste. Just go work for Aspen dental for 1 year. That’s like 4 years of working at a private practice packed into 1 year. No joke.

I did 2 years there, now I’m like a Navy Seal. I don’t even look at my schedule any more because I’m so damn confident. Hahaha.
I couldn't disagree anymore strongly. A good gpr will set up a dentist for life on how to take on complicated cases. IT is such a nice conduit between school and the real world.

You are one of the few dentists that I have ever heard say anything positive about their experience working there. Not sure if you left but if it was so great you would of stayed. The other issue is the pliability of ethics that is taught there. I have never heard one dentist say they would send their grandmother there or "they look out for the patient". Think long and hard about recommending that to dental students on the internet. If you have a vendetta against someone, carry on I suppose.

I couldn't disagree anymore strongly. A good gpr will set up a dentist for life on how to take on complicated cases. IT is such a nice conduit between school and the real world.

You are one of the few dentists that I have ever heard say anything positive about their experience working there. Not sure if you left but if it was so great you would of stayed. The other issue is the pliability of ethics that is taught there. I have never heard one dentist say they would send their grandmother there or "they look out for the patient". Think long and hard about recommending that to dental students on the internet. If you have a vendetta against someone, carry on I suppose.
GPR is a hit and a miss- its one year of extra hand holding while your 500k of student loans compound at 7% interest. That will cost you 40k- and with cost of living/eating- 1500 for rent- 500 for food utilities- 24k- thats a 60-70k extra expense.

Is an extra year of hand holding worth 60-70k of debt- with the lost opportunity cost of 150k (200k total cost) or is working and making 150k worth more?

There are good GPRs that can take on complicated cases- but you dont NEED to take on complicated cases to be a successful dentist. I am literally a bread and butter dentist- refer out all speciality- INCLUDING veneers/cosmetic work and do more then fine. - when you punch the numbers to do cosmetic cases and the compensation- it isn't worth it.

If you wanted to- later in life- when more established- you can take expensive CE where you can easily learn more complicated procedures if you want to.

You are one of the few dentists that I have ever heard say anything positive about their experience working there. Not sure if you left but if it was so great you would have stayed. The other issue is the pliability of ethics that is taught there. I have never heard one dentist say they would send their grandmother there or "they look out for the patient". Think long and hard about recommending that to dental students on the internet. If you have a vendetta against someone, carry on I suppose.
I agree with your comment about aspen dental lol.

However I’ve also heard of many disappointing reviews of gpr residencies. My advice to pre dents is to go to a good dental school that would prepare them well for general dentistry. Ask during your interviews what the graduation requirements are.
I’d hate to give hard numbers but it’s gotta be at least 20 crowns, 150 fillings etc.

I wouldn’t go to a dental school that would prepare me poorly.
Gpr residencies shouldn’t really exist.

If one wanted to learn how to place implants a gpr isn’t the place to be. I would advise them to be in a perio residency.

Its a vaild point. Like research where you go to Dental School, a gpr, or employment. Know about the pros and cons before you dive head first in somewhere. When you are 5-600k in debt you can't "afford" to make a mistake.

I will say it again, a GOOD GPR will get you comfortable with surgery and it will pay for itself many times over a career.

Its a vaild point. Like research where you go to Dental School, a gpr, or employment. Know about the pros and cons before you dive head first in somewhere. When you are 5-600k in debt you can't "afford" to make a mistake.

I will say it again, a GOOD GPR will get you comfortable with surgery and it will pay for itself many times over a career.
many GPR/AEGD are crap honestly.

esp GPRs you might do a ton of medical stuff that has nothing to do with you. I talked to a GPR resident who did 1 month rotation in family medicine clinic. complete waste of time, esp in a 12 month program

Reactions: 1 users

The concept of learning to walk before you run applies here.

The only thing that a new grad should concern themselves in their first year of practice is
1) not hurting a patient
2) not performing a grave mistake
3) getting used to the basics (walk before running)

Learning how to walk (do fillings/crowns/basic endo/ basic omfs) is more beneficial than 3rds implant placement molar endo. You can do ce later when you are more comfortable with the walking aka the basics.

many GPR/AEGD are crap honestly.

esp GPRs you might do a ton of medical stuff that has nothing to do with you. I talked to a GPR resident who did 1 month rotation in family medicine clinic. complete waste of time, esp in a 12 month program
Yeah, the GPR program that is associated with my dental school is basically 5th year of dental school. Well the program director is also a clinical instructor for D3 and D4 operative clinic so he was treating his residents the same as dental students. I was talking to a classmate that did the GPR after graduation and she really regretted wasting that year.

Hi everyone,

Thank you.
It's natural to have concerns about your readiness and abilities as you embark on your career as a general dentist. However, there are several steps you can take to enhance your skills and knowledge. Here are some recommendations:

1. Continuous Education: Participate in continuing education (CE) courses to stay updated with the latest advancements in dentistry. Look for courses that cover topics you are interested in or areas where you feel you need improvement. Online platforms, conferences, and dental associations often offer a wide range of educational opportunities.
  2. Mentoring: Seek out experienced dentists who can serve as mentors. They can provide guidance, share their experiences, and help you navigate challenges in your dental career. A mentor can offer valuable insights and advice that can enhance your skills and confidence.
  3. Clinical Experiences: During your GPR (General Practice Residency) program, make the most of your clinical experiences. Take on a variety of cases, ask questions, and seek feedback from your supervisors. Actively seek out challenging cases to broaden your exposure and build your confidence.
  4. Study Clubs: Join dental study clubs or local dental societies where you can engage with other dental professionals. These groups provide opportunities for case discussions, knowledge sharing, and networking. You can learn from the experiences of others and gain valuable insights.
  5. Podcasts and Books: There are numerous dental podcasts and books available that can expand your knowledge and provide different perspectives. Look for podcasts featuring expert dentists or specific topics you are interested in. Similarly, books on clinical techniques, practice management, and personal development can be beneficial.
  6. Continuing Professional Development: Stay updated with the latest research and advancements by regularly reading reputable dental journals and publications. This will keep you informed about emerging techniques, technologies, and best practices in dentistry.
  7. Hands-on Courses: Consider attending hands-on courses that focus on specific procedures or techniques. These courses provide practical, hands-on experience and allow you to refine your skills under the guidance of experienced instructors.

Embrace the feeling of continuous growth and improvement.