Albert Einstein Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In the 3 bedroom option you will have 2 roommates...t(they ask you if you want someone vegetarian, kosher, etc...and some other questions about your habits and preferences)...there is a waitlist for the studio and 1 br...

i haven't gotten my roommate info yet but at least one person has, i thijnk...

Members don't see this ad.

No option of not having roomates? Ah well...

Figured I'd post this one more time just in case someone meant to respond but didn't....

Hotels?:

Anyone know decent/safe/cheap hotels in the area right around the med school? My parents are looking for somewhere to stay for a night or two when they come up with me...We were thinking there must be somewhere decent to stay very nearby for example if a family travels to have something done at AECOM's hospitals...right?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
im wondering the same thing about hotels....i heard there was a best western somewhat nearby....my moms coming to help me get settled, i tjink im just gonna let her crash with me in my room if thats allowed. hopefully i can get into the apartment when i go!

yeah, i wonder what date we are allowed to get in starting? anyone have that info? im probably going to call housing soon too find out...but with the holiday and all my schedule is thrown off...

My housing assignment said the appartment is available starting July 1. I assume if you want it that early though you have to pay for rent for all of July. They let you decide when you want to move in though so I went for July 15... I figure that gives me 2 weeks to move in slowly and get settled before the biochem class starts.

the1111gal said:
yeah, i wonder what date we are allowed to get in starting? anyone have that info? im probably going to call housing soon too find out...but with the holiday and all my schedule is thrown off...

im heading down around Aug 1st to move in......Aug 15th is when orientation starts, and not classes right?

Is Loudawg the only one that got the apt. assignment?

Anyway, I got the form for the biochem course. I've been out of school for two years, but I was a biochem major. I'm contemplating whether to take it or not. I just want to get settle in before school starts and buy furniture etc. Who else is taking it?

Does anyone have a minute to let me know the requirements for married housing application...I did not get the forms yet.
Mainly I want to know if you MUST be already married...or are lease contract and bank account sufficient?
... and if you are married is housing guaranteed?
Thanks

sinephera said:
Does anyone have a minute to let me know the requirements for married housing application...I did not get the forms yet.
Mainly I want to know if you MUST be already married...or are lease contract and bank account sufficient?
... and if you are married is housing guaranteed?
Thanks

Hey there,
Well, I am not going to the school, but I had submitted this info. Basically, its ok if you are not married, but they want as MUCH paperwork as you can give them showing your committed relationship. I talked to some current students and they kept telling me to give them EVERYTHING possible. So, I guess do the same. Any shared utility bills, shared lease, shared accounts, shared cars or whatnot. You do not have to be married, but Im sure it doesnt hurt. I also spoke to Dean purpura and he said not to worry, if I submit everything I would be fine. The person who deals with the housing information is Joe Zagreda in the housing office, so if you are unsure, I would suggest calling him directly. There is also a woman in the office that deals with incoming students (I forget her name though), and she would be a good one to contact as well (you can call the office and tell them you are incoming and have would like to speak with someone that handles incoming students). Good luck to you!

hey, for those that got off the fave list earlier, how long did it take for them to send housing info and financial aid info? i still havent gotten any mail.... :confused: :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Wends: I got off the waitlist friday...recieved an e-mail with info today (Wednesday)...the e-mail said the info was sent out and I should get the packet in two-three days.

Does anyone know the grading system at AECOM?

sinephera said:
Hey Wends: I got off the waitlist friday...recieved an e-mail with info today (Wednesday)...the e-mail said the info was sent out and I should get the packet in two-three days.

P/F first year, not sure about second year. I have heard conflicting reports about it being H/P/F second year, but not sure.

do you guys think i should call housing 2m to ask why I haven't gotten my assignment yet? Have enough people gotten theirs or not really?

Yea, call and let me know too :D . I haven't received my assignment either. Kinda want to get to know my roomie.

sinephera said:

thanks! AECOM vs NYU is gonna be tough! good luck with your decision!! my friend is going to NYU so i'll be visiting lots to manhattan!

HOUSING:

Spoke to Blanca today in the housing office. She's not the one that deals with incoming students though--that person was unavailable.

Anyway, I asked them if my stuff had been received and she said that it had, on 5/24. She said that graduation was yesterday and that the graduated students would be turning in their keys from today until... (and so on)...
And that they would contact me asap...I hope it is soon!!! :)

Bumpity Bump

Wow, I feel all grown up now posting in the allopathic forum :cool:

wow, im in an allo thread now...cool :cool: , i do feel grown up uegis!

anyways, i emailed financial aid several times, mr greenberg about my situation, as i am an international, i have no idea what an escrow account is or whether i have to have one in the staes or if i can have one in canada :confused: :confused:

and i have yet to receive my housing info. i really want the 3 bedroom. hopefully i'll get that. :oops:

I haven't even recived my housing anything yet. And it's been over a week, what gives?

Loco, I love your little list of what schools you've attended :) I should add that to mine ;) At least on my facebook profile so that people can find me!

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had asked your Uncle Alberts or Aunt Albertas about the ATM in forschiemer (did I spell that right?) I asked mine but she didn't know what bank it was...The AEcommunity website says that its free except for associated bank fees--but I wanted to see if I could get a bank that wouldn't charge fees at that one--has anyone asked?

Also, did they just move our old thread into the allo forum? so confused lol!

my Aunt Alberta hasnt gotten back to me, its been 2 weeks :(

Email admissions and ask them if they're sure that they gave you the right address? Explain that it was 2 weeks...If its the right address then they will tell you that and you can try emailing her again? My Aunt Alberta said they have a test coming up Mon/Wed or something...so maybe that is why?

hey 1111gal, thanks for the tip! I'll try to email her again.

I have one more question, the health forms are due in first week of June? I just got it mailed to my house and just got back on the 4th, so im passed the deadline....is it a strict deadline? :oops:

wends said:
hey 1111gal, thanks for the tip! I'll try to email her again.

I have one more question, the health forms are due in first week of June? I just got it mailed to my house and just got back on the 4th, so im passed the deadline....is it a strict deadline? :oops:

I kind of doubt it's that strict because people are still getting in off the waitlist. I'd say just get it done ASAP... my guess is they just don't want everyone turning them in the day before classes start.

thanks loudawg.....

just sent in my housing yea! is the apartments wireless or ethernet card? also, whats resnet and the alnet? do we pay for internet connection?

wends said:
thanks loudawg.....

just sent in my housing yea! is the apartments wireless or ethernet card? also, whats resnet and the alnet? do we pay for internet connection?

Internet is free! I'm pretty sure it's standard connection internet with the ethernet cable. The thought of living in the same building as everyone here is pretty cool. And I also found out a friend I haven't seen in a few years is doing the MD/PhD program at AECOM. I found out through the mailing list! Haha, it was a pleasant surprise. Now, I'm trying to get through the last few weeks of work before I relax and do nothing. Can't wait to meet all of you!

BUMP

this is my favorite thread now...lol...im posting here like crazy :p

when do we get our email addresses? yea for free internet! im really excited to get my housing app processed, has anyone gotten theirs yet? do you know your roomates already? like Uegis, im excited that everyone is livng together....i like having roomates, its more fun that way, and we all know how to give space when needed so i dont think that will be a problem.

I haven't received my housing forms either and I sent them in 2-3 weeks ago. What gives? :confused:

i have so many forms to get and ask them to fill out that i harrass the admissions office like every other day lol

hope they dont get sick and tired of me!! I have to get them to fill out a form for my government student loans, adn then i have to ask them for my visa forms....and im waiting for my housing forms lol....

hey, do we need to send them a copy of our transcripts? and also, if we test negative for the measles, mumps etc titres, then we dont need to get vaccinations right? or do we have to get the shots regardless?

Hi everyone! I got of the favorable waitlist as of 6/1 and I'm coming to Einstein! I'm so excited. Just wondering though, since I guess I was accepted rather late, I didn't get most of the earlier emails on the listserve. Was there anything important mentioned? Also, I did not receive any health forms, only housing and financial aid information. Where would I get them, and when are they due by? Thanks.

lilxgem said:
Hi everyone! I got of the favorable waitlist as of 6/1 and I'm coming to Einstein! I'm so excited. Just wondering though, since I guess I was accepted rather late, I didn't get most of the earlier emails on the listserve. Was there anything important mentioned? Also, I did not receive any health forms, only housing and financial aid information. Where would I get them, and when are they due by? Thanks.

congratulations and welcome to the class! you missed a barrage of about half a billion emails of people introducing themselves, which honestly after a while became hard to keep track of everyone. we'll get to do real introductions at orientation anyway, so nothing critical.

the health forms are from the occupational health service office: 718-430-3141. the letter stated to return the forms within 4 weeks, which i'm sure is flexible, just as long as they're in a reasonable amt of time before classes start.

Hey, I'm a fourth year at AECOM. First two years are pass/fail no honors. Be very thankful for that, there was some cheating scandal thing with the class that just graduated so they took away honors.

pimpdogg said:
Hey, I'm a fourth year at AECOM. First two years are pass/fail no honors. Be very thankful for that, there was some cheating scandal thing with the class that just graduated so they took away honors.

I heard about the scandal from my friend. P/F first two years sounds sweet. BTW, when is everyone moving in? I wanted to stay at home for as long as possible so I was thinking on moving there the weekend before orientation. But of course, I will have to sleep on the floor for a few days without furniture. Any ideas? When is the popular day to move in?

im prob moving in near the mid-late july mark, around the 20th or so? I;m going to stay at a hotel with my parents for the first night and my furniture from jcpenny will be delivered the next day

jcpenny lets you choose the exact date that you want the furniture delivered...and so i got my bed and chest from them

1111gal, can you order online from jcpenny? i was thinking of moving in Aug 8th. I was going to sleep on the floor until i got furniture as well...should prolly move in on a weekday since we have to get our keys from the superindentent? or can we have or keys mailed to us?

pretty sure that you can order online...i actually ended up going into a store tho and there were good sales in store so i bought it that way...shipping was supercheap too!--only 50 for my whole order!

not sure about weekend/weekday....i still havent heard about where ill be living though im really excited to find out about that!

as far as a desk im thinking of using office max and having them ship it since they too will tell me the exact date they will ship it to me (so that my dad can help me out and put it together while hes up there still...or else theyd prob just sit in the boxes all year...id use the boxes for my desk ;))

So get this... I just found out the room I was assigned has no wall built in the living room (it's a 1 bedroom that they pass off as a 2 bedroom) and if I want one built I have to pay $1000. What's that about??? Do they expect the second person living in the 1 bedroom to just live out in the open living room if they can't afford to build the wall? I'm super pissed, I'll be making a call to housing tomorrow. Just thought I'd give you all the heads up in case you find yourself in the same situation. The housing office never even told me, I wouldn't know if it weren't for my roommate telling me.

are you sure?? i thought they already had walls in them!? ps at least you already have your housing assignment? its taking way long

the1111gal said:
pretty sure that you can order online...i actually ended up going into a store tho and there were good sales in store so i bought it that way...shipping was supercheap too!--only 50 for my whole order!

not sure about weekend/weekday....i still havent heard about where ill be living though im really excited to find out about that!

as far as a desk im thinking of using office max and having them ship it since they too will tell me the exact date they will ship it to me (so that my dad can help me out and put it together while hes up there still...or else theyd prob just sit in the boxes all year...id use the boxes for my desk ;))

$50?! For a bed with shipping? Or do you mean 500? Hahaha, then you really got a good deal if it is 50 bucks. One thing I know I need is a good bed. Probably won't buy much beyond that, aside a desk and maybe a TV. I can help you with building your desk :cool:

Most rooms should already have the extra wall put in but if not unfortunately you'll have to pony up the cash. What's 1000 on top of 250000 anyway? Also, there's always a class trip to IKEA during orientation. That's where most students get desks, chairs, bookshelves, etc.

pimpdogg said:
Also, there's always a class trip to IKEA during orientation. That's where most students get desks, chairs, bookshelves, etc.

WHOOHOOO!!! thats what im talking about! :D :love:

that sucks ugeis! :mad: why would they do that??

i do need a good bed, ive been sleeping on a twin for the past 4 years, and its now time for bigger and better!....on the website it recommended sleepy's....hey 1111gal, do the prices at JC Penny include the mattress, or is just teh frame?

yeah i totally got a queen sized bed!! :)

the prices for the frames at jcp are just the frame as far as i know...but i didnt buy a "bed"...just the mattress, box spring, and holder thing (what is that called?)

uegis, can you request a room change to one that has a wall already? esp since not many people have been assigned rooms left, there must be extras!

the1111gal said:
uegis, can you request a room change to one that has a wall already? esp since not many people have been assigned rooms left, there must be extras!

Haha, I haven't received my assignment yet. But Loudawg, you shouldn't definitely ask the office. I'm getting restless waiting for mine.

111gal, that is a good deal for mattress and box. I really need to look more carefully on jcpenney.com to find the same deal as you did. Ikea sounds fun! I love going to the one near my house.

BUMP :love:

whoops....that sucks loudawg!! :mad: makes me scared for what im getting :scared: ...

in good news tho....i dont need a student visa to study in the states! yay that saves me 100 bucks. and i got my immunizations.... :( but i have to go back for more....

hey, i should be flying into La Guardia and not JFK right?

Hello all. Just got the news that I was accepted to AECOM off the fav list, so I will be joining you in the Bronx this summer. Now I have less than 2 months to plan quitting my job and moving from the SF Bay area to NY. Plus all the health and housing stuff to take care of...I'm feeling a little buried. But the excitement of the knowledge that I am going to med school takes the edge off it.