Albert Einstein Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Write an email...maybe even call..., Mr. JL

Also, no housing in florida yet--perhaps by friday...I graduate undergrad friday :)

Members don't see this ad.

Gah, I'm on the "favored" list, and I've been pullin' all the stops. Dangit, AE is my first choice, but hot dang, if this isn't gonna be a fight.

Any favorables get in yet apart from Scotch?

You guys should ask scotchtape if he did anything to help him get off the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uegis said:
You guys should ask scotchtape if he did anything to help him get off the list.

Heh, already did that and then some cheif. I remember he was going to submit to them a paper he just published; the day he sent it, he got a email reply right away saying that he was accepted. But yeah, apart from that, been doing the exact same stuff he did.

...I hope to see you all next year, god willin'

For all of you fellow Californians worried about the shock of moving to the Bronx... theres a Trader Joe's 8 miles away in Scarsdale. Woo Hoo

Also, Bank of America 1.2 miles from campus. And I thought Id have to open a Chase Manhattan acount. Score

Thank you Yahoo yellow pages, I can sleep a little more sound now

Dr..Dr...Dr.. said:
For all of you fellow Californians worried about the shock of moving to the Bronx... theres a Trader Joe's 8 miles away in Scarsdale. Woo Hoo

Also, Bank of America 1.2 miles from campus. And I thought Id have to open a Chase Manhattan acount. Score

Thank you Yahoo yellow pages, I can sleep a little more sound now

Are you bringing a car with you Dr X 3 ? 8 miles is quite a distance without a car. I have B of A too and don't want to switch either.

Uegis said:
Are you bringing a car with you Dr X 3 ? 8 miles is quite a distance without a car. I have B of A too and don't want to switch either.

Perhaps we should try to correlate how many of us have B of A? I too have it and that 1.3 miles sounds like a decent distance (it would be nice if we can find a B of A atm somewhere closer!!).

And even if you don't bring a car, if you befriend someone that has one then its all good .....;)

Well, I finally made up my mind, and it looks like I am headed to Dartmouth instead. I hope someone on the waitlist hears soon! I really loved Einstein when I visited, and I hope all of you have a great time there!

oniwundu, good luck with Dartmouth

On another note, I am officially on board with AECOM! Makes my rectal exam for Rochester that much worser now :scared:

Uegis said:
oniwundu, good luck with Dartmouth

On another note, I am officially on board with AECOM! Makes my rectal exam for Rochester that much worser now :scared:

Eh.....if it was your first, welcome to the club.......if not......it was bound to happen sooner or later

jdovez said:
Perhaps we should try to correlate how many of us have B of A? I too have it and that 1.3 miles sounds like a decent distance (it would be nice if we can find a B of A atm somewhere closer!!).

And even if you don't bring a car, if you befriend someone that has one then its all good .....;)

Im still a Rectal Exam virgin, and I'm holding out for as long as I can.

Ill have my car, Id be glad to let any of you use it, just as long as you dont forget my generocity, becuase one day, I may be asking you for a favor. Boy, having a car at AECOM is like having a carton of cigarrettes in Prison.

so, B of A is the closest then? PS I got my housing info in florida yesterday, yay...progress is happening!

I dont think B of A is the closest, its just what a lot of Californians use, because they are on every street corner here. The aecommunity.com site lists a couple other banks that are easier to walk to,

Members don't see this ad :)
ah yes i would like to walk to my bank...i had to change from the one i used in college anyway because that was a school credit union--plus, then i barely used the bank/atm anyway because i just used money that my parents gave me/took out for me whenever i saw thembecause they were close by! that was nice :)

Dr..Dr...Dr.. said:
Im still a Rectal Exam virgin, and I'm holding out for as long as I can.

Ill have my car, Id be glad to let any of you use it, just as long as you dont forget my generocity, becuase one day, I may be asking you for a favor. Boy, having a car at AECOM is like having a carton of cigarrettes in Prison.

Nice analogy. You can use it to prevent anyone from bending you over eh? hmm....ok I don't think I'm creative enough to merge the rectal exam discussion with your latest analogy.

What exactly is the deal with the housing options they sent us? On the waiting list application, it says that 1 and 2 bedroom apartments are only assigned to married couples with or without children, leaving the single ones out there with just the studio option. Am I missing something here?

scoops418 said:
What exactly is the deal with the housing options they sent us? On the waiting list application, it says that 1 and 2 bedroom apartments are only assigned to married couples with or without children, leaving the single ones out there with just the studio option. Am I missing something here?

No no......I think the way it works is that you fill out the app and that applies you for a split 2BR apt. You get 1 BR another student gets the other. If you fill out the waitinglist, that is for couples or married people who want their OWN apt....be it a studio, 1BR or 2BR. Basically, if you are single, you are going to get an apt with another student. I'm pretty sure thats whats up.

Yea, the housing application is a bit confusing. If they didn't tell us during the interview, I still wouldn't know what they were trying to say..

I was wondering, can we specify if we want a 1bdr/2 person, or 2bdr/3 person setup? Which ones are you guys picking?

And can single students get on the waitling list for studios now? They sent a card with the application.

I requested a 1bdr/2 person setup because I figured 1 less person sharing a bathroom is a good thing... I just wrote in the additional comments section that that is what I wanted. As for the waitlist card, I went ahead and sent it in... the earlier they get it the sooner you'll get a studio! I just didn't fill in the info I didn't have yet (like e-mail and current apt. number).

Another question... the app. asked if we would be participating in the biochem class. I marked yes because I want to participate but does anyone know when we'll be getting info about that? Also, I know it's not manditory but do you have to be invited in order to participate or is it open to everyone?? Thanks!

Uegis said:
Yea, the housing application is a bit confusing. If they didn't tell us during the interview, I still wouldn't know what they were trying to say..

I was wondering, can we specify if we want a 1bdr/2 person, or 2bdr/3 person setup? Which ones are you guys picking?

And can single students get on the waitling list for studios now? They sent a card with the application.

not sure if everyone is invited or not...but i emailed admissions to ask and was told that we would receive info on it "after may 15"....so its anyone's guess ;)

So I got my housing assignment today... that was a fast turn around! Does anyone know if it's common for 1st years to be placed with upperclassmen? I guess I had just assumed I'd be rooming with another M1 but I got an M3 roommate... I guess this could be a good or bad thing but I'd be interested to hear what other assignments people got.

Also got the application for the biochem course: August 1 - 12 from 9am - 1pm. Basically you just have to agree to show up to the classes and take the exams (which don't count toward anything). I think I'm in... I never took biochem or cell bio.

loudawg said:
So I got my housing assignment today... that was a fast turn around! Does anyone know if it's common for 1st years to be placed with upperclassmen? I guess I had just assumed I'd be rooming with another M1 but I got an M3 roommate... I guess this could be a good or bad thing but I'd be interested to hear what other assignments people got.

Also got the application for the biochem course: August 1 - 12 from 9am - 1pm. Basically you just have to agree to show up to the classes and take the exams (which don't count toward anything). I think I'm in... I never took biochem or cell bio.

When did you send in your form? I only sent it around a week ago. Hope I get an assignment and not exiled to the temp apartments. My Uncle Albert rooms with a third year too, so its not uncommon I guess. You can borrow all his stuff and share it with SDN AECOMers :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

haha awesome...yeah i sent mine in a little after i received it--but due to time it took it to get there from florida as well as time from them back to me who knows when ill get it back! i think its cool to be put with an upperclassman because they might have some stuff already...ie for the bathroom or kitchen...good stuff :)

nope or else iwould have answered ;) try emailing the school? they seem super-interested in making sure we know things...i figure ill worry about that later though lol

I was reading the emails on the listserv and figured out who several people who are on SDN, including the1111gal and myodana, haha. Did everyone turn in their health forms yet. Friendly reminder, you should get them in by last week according to the Occupational Health office.

Uegis said:
I was reading the emails on the listserv and figured out who several people who are on SDN, including the1111gal and myodana, haha. Did everyone turn in their health forms yet. Friendly reminder, you should get them in by last week according to the Occupational Health office.

We should have gotten them in by last week or should get them in by this week. The last sentence is a bit confusing. Obviously the only reason I'm asking is b/c I did neither :)

reggae girl said:
We should have gotten them in by last week or should get them in by this week. The last sentence is a bit confusing. Obviously the only reason I'm asking is b/c I did neither :)

Bleh, my fault reggae girl. I meant next week. Still early for me on the west coast. On the email sent a month ago, it said the first week of June. So next week. I still haven't received my second TB test yet. So I'll send it in next week. They are such a hassle. Hate taking time off from work.

Uegis said:
Bleh, my fault reggae girl. I meant next week. Still early for me on the west coast. On the email sent a month ago, it said the first week of June. So next week. I still haven't received my second TB test yet. So I'll send it in next week. They are such a hassle. Hate taking time off from work.

Thanks for the heads up. For some reason I thought those forms were due in July. I guess I was confusing AECOM with the SUNYs. Time to make a doctors' appointment :eek:

Uegis...Can't beleive you figured me out ;) Oh well lol..Do I get to know who you are as well? ;)

I sent in my forms without the 2nd tb test--figure they'll tell me I lack it and then I can get it ;) My doc thinks it isn't key anyway...but they say to do it...so I will, I will...

the1111gal said:
Uegis...Can't beleive you figured me out ;) Oh well lol..Do I get to know who you are as well? ;)

I sent in my forms without the 2nd tb test--figure they'll tell me I lack it and then I can get it ;) My doc thinks it isn't key anyway...but they say to do it...so I will, I will...

To all my Einsteinians. I'd like to thank you guys for all the info you have provided. I was just accepted to NYU and I have decided to cross the river and venture into the wilds of manhattan for schooling. I wish each and every one of you the best of luck in the upcoming year!!

we'll miss you! good luck at NYU.

the1111gal said:

yeah, can you imagine? i'm hard to find as well... i think i'm probably the only pilates instructor at einstein this year, though apparently i'm not the only dancer! i just realized that when i went in for my immunizations i forgot to get my 2nd TB test. i'm such a dork. dammit! i'm still waiting on some lab reports and then i'll send it all in together -- i thought it was due the first week in june also... if it's late, i'm sure they won't be too upset.

good luck jdovez!

im still deciding between einstein and jefferson, as from my emails on the listing said.....im really really torn, and I know I have a unreasonable bias of the Bronx, but I just dont see myself living in those conditions....enlighten me if I gravely mistaken teh area! I dont want an afternoon of impressions to make me miss out!

wends said:
good luck jdovez!

im still deciding between einstein and jefferson, as from my emails on the listing said.....im really really torn, and I know I have a unreasonable bias of the Bronx, but I just dont see myself living in those conditions....enlighten me if I gravely mistaken teh area! I dont want an afternoon of impressions to make me miss out!

What do you mean by "those conditons"?

I think living in the Bronx won't be that bad. For the most part you won't have the time to "see" where you live anyway...you'll be doing the class<> dorm routine. But for post exam you can enjoy the city...and having spent four years there already...let me assure you it is an unparalleled experience. Actually I even prefer Einstein's location to that of NYU, b/c of the following reason:
1. The city does get too crazy and it is nice to keep a distance
2. Since we are in the Bronx, we will be a tighter knit group of students...as opposed to the city where we will all scatter (as is the case for my undergrad)
3. We get decent living conditions while still remaining in NYC.

But after all you should choose what fits your lifestyle best.
As my mom told me all med. Schools are a great choice, but no matter what you end up choosing at some points in your life you will still regret it.

well guys, I think I'll be joining in august...it was a hard decision but i gots to make one sonner or later!

is everyone guaranteed on campus housing? i hope im not too late in applying...the letter was sent to my permanent home and I cant go back till after my grad in the beginning of june....i think the 3 br apartments are an awesome deal!

sinephera said:
I think living in the Bronx won't be that bad. For the most part you won't have the time to "see" where you live anyway...you'll be doing the class<> dorm routine. But for post exam you can enjoy the city...and having spent four years there already...let me assure you it is an unparalleled experience.

As someone who has lived in the Bronx for more than 10 years, it is always disappointing to see threads where people explicitly or implicitly bash the Bronx.

Wends if you believe that the living conditions in the Bronx are deplorable and you are worried about your safety, then by all means go to Jefferson. I see that this issue concerns you as I've read your comments on this site and the Accept09 e-mail list. If you don't feel safe and/or comfortable, then you won't be happy at Einstein.

Sinephra, I'm assuming you had good intentions with your "you won't have time to see where you live" statement but you are only reinforcing the stereotypes of the Bronx being a scary dangerous place. As someone who knows the Bronx, the Morris Park area is one of the better areas of the Bronx. I've been in that area many times and I've never been shot at, been approached by a drug user, approached by a prostitute, accosted by masked men... [insert any Bronx nightmare stereotypes here].

In my opinion, if you'll be in the Bronx for 4 years, you should get to know the borough. It shouldn't just be a conduit to Manhattan! How about going for a run in Van Cortlandt Park, going out for dinner in City Island, experiencing the ethnic fair on Fordham Rd, going to a Yankees game, visiting the world famous Bronx Zoo or the Botanical Gardens?

There is so much more to the Bronx than the negative stereotypes. If you're willing to see pass the bad hype, then you'll have a great four years at Einstein AND the Bronx. Hope this helps.

wends said:
well guys, I think I'll be joining in august...it was a hard decision but i gots to make one sonner or later!

is everyone guaranteed on campus housing? i hope im not too late in applying...the letter was sent to my permanent home and I cant go back till after my grad in the beginning of june....i think the 3 br apartments are an awesome deal!

That's freaking sweet! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think everyone is guaranteed housing. Get someone to send in the housing form for you. I told my brother to do it for me also since mine was sent to permanent address like yours.

reggae girl, i didnt mean to imply that i think the bronx is deplorable or unsafe. please do not mistake my concerns about my living area for med schools as negativity towards the bronx. for undergrad i spent 4 years in a small town and found it stifling, i wanted a city experience for the next 4 years of my life. im concerned about having things to do on a weekend, having more than 3 choices of going to a bar/club, etc. the area around a school is very important to me as my life is not encompassed by studying and ive learned to hard way that the city a school one goes to has a huge part in the experience of going to that school. this is where im coming from.

wends said:
reggae girl, i didnt mean to imply that i think the bronx is deplorable or unsafe. please do not mistake my concerns about my living area for med schools as negativity towards the bronx. for undergrad i spent 4 years in a small town and found it stifling, i wanted a city experience for the next 4 years of my life. im concerned about having things to do on a weekend, having more than 3 choices of going to a bar/club, etc. the area around a school is very important to me as my life is not encompassed by studying and ive learned to hard way that the city a school one goes to has a huge part in the experience of going to that school. this is where im coming from.

Hey wends, no hard feelings. If you're looking for bars, you'll definitely find a few in the Bronx. But I must say, Manhattan has better bars and clubs than the Bronx :D I look forward to meeting you and everyone else in August. Maybe we can do something fun in the Bronx ;)

Good lord, I'm so borin' compared to the lot of you. I'd send my "hello world" email, but I don't know what to say. As tempting as the subject line of "Hail to thee, Champions!" is, and detailing my exploits as the living incarnation of Count Chocula, I'll have to be Bland Man, the Uninteresting.

Seriously though, this group is gonna be fun to be around.

Loco Loki said:
Good lord, I'm so borin' compared to the lot of you. I'd send my "hello world" email, but I don't know what to say. As tempting as the subject line of "Hail to thee, Champions!" is, and detailing my exploits as the living incarnation of Count Chocula, I'll have to be Bland Man, the Uninteresting.

Seriously though, this group is gonna be fun to be around.

I thought the exact same thing. Felt like I am the only one that doesn't play an instrument, sing, and traveled to a dozen foreign countries, haha. You're right though, looks like a fun group to hang with. Can't wait!

thanks reggae girl, we'll definately party it up!

locki and ugeis, im sure you're interesting and special as well! we all downplay our own uniqueness, but I do have to agree that our class is filled with amazing people! maybe some of it will rub off on me...im pretty bland too lol.

it seems like there will be a NYC get together....but I think for us Westcoasters, we should do a pre-get together in Cali! Can anyone say Disney Land? :laugh:

wends said:
thanks reggae girl, we'll definately party it up!

locki and ugeis, im sure you're interesting and special as well! we all downplay our own uniqueness, but I do have to agree that our class is filled with amazing people! maybe some of it will rub off on me...im pretty bland too lol.

it seems like there will be a NYC get together....but I think for us Westcoasters, we should do a pre-get together in Cali! Can anyone say Disney Land? :laugh:

Hey, that actually sounds like a good idea. Anyone else up for that?

hey reggae girl...I apologies if I came off harsh but I was leaning more towards the general atmosphere, not any shooting or robbing.
However, I do think that compared to a small pretty town the Einstein area...or many other big city areas, can look depressing...especially in cold and rainy weather. It is on those middle-of-the-week days that you become grateful that your apartment is across the street.

Having said that, I think it would be awesome to live those rainy streets behind and go to Cali. for a visit. It has been on my to-do list for a while :D

Hotels?:

Anyone know decent/safe/cheap hotels in the area right around the med school? My parents are looking for somewhere to stay for a night or two when they come up with me...We were thinking there must be somewhere decent to stay very nearby for example if a family travels to have something done at AECOM's hospitals...right?

Thanks!

hey guys....lets keep this awesome thread alive!

can anyone give me a heads up on the housing options? are we put with roomates? is there a waitlist for certain suites? i think im going for the 3 bedroom option, as it seems to be the cheapest! anything else I should know? everything was sent to my parents house and so i wont get a good look at stuff until i see my mom in a couple of days.