General Advice on piercings for interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying to medical school this year. I'm a guy, 6'1" and about 220lbs (not overweight, I lift weights). Anyways, my ears are pierced and I have a nose piercing. I've been told by people to take out all my piercings for medical school interviews, but when I asked my pre-health advisor if the holes would be judged, she wouldn't answer straight up. So.... my earring holes are VERY obvious even when I take out my earrings. So what does anyone think about this? Any experience? What do adcoms think about guys with piercings
As long as you don't look like you fell asleep into a box full of fishing tackle, I'm okay with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My first question would be: have you ever met a physician with similar piercings as you?

I'm sure you are a rather clean person, but my first issue as a patient is the issue of contamination and sterilization. There's a reason no one I know who is in dental school or in the dental profession has such piercings. I'm going to suspect similarly for medical and nursing.

I recommend that you remove them if you present as a cis male.
The only difference is that small studs or buttons are acceptable on those who present as women.
After you have started residency, the only real limitations are in your hospital dress code.

Status
Not open for further replies.