2023-2024 Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
very finals week question here... but does anyone know if our second semester GPA would influence our spot on the WL? Im not like tanking its just like would a B+/A- vs an A in a class be a difference?
I don't think it would. Don't be too hung up on grades, you were offered an interview because they know you're academically good enough. Based off the waitlist website and the waitlist email, they are quite clear that nothing you can say or do will influence your spot on the waitlist. Best to let it play out.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would. Don't be too hung up on grades, you were offered an interview because they know you're academically good enough. Based off the waitlist website and the waitlist email, they are quite clear that nothing you can say or do will influence your spot on the waitlist. Best to let it play out.
Does this mean additional application updates will not be taken into account post-WL?

Does this mean additional application updates will not be taken into account post-WL?
I think they mean submitting more letters of recc won't matter, but you are encouraged to be sending letters of interest, "It is not necessary to submit additional letters of recommendation, letters of reference, etc., as these will not influence an applicant's place on the waitlist. We do encourage waitlisted applicants to periodically contact the Admissions Office affirming their continued interest "

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they mean submitting more letters of recc won't matter, but you are encouraged to be sending letters of interest, "It is not necessary to submit additional letters of recommendation, letters of reference, etc., as these will not influence an applicant's place on the waitlist. We do encourage waitlisted applicants to periodically contact the Admissions Office affirming their continued interest "
What level of formality do you guys think they mean when they say "periodically contact?" Are these full on LOI's or can they mean phone calls

What level of formality do you guys think they mean when they say "periodically contact?" Are these full on LOI's or can they mean phone calls
I would assume letters of interest or intent or updates. I doubt they want people calling their office

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I think they mean update letters/letters of interest and letters of intent via the application portal.

Does admin usually send a link to join the accepted students group? I was accepted last week but still no word about it

very finals week question here... but does anyone know if our second semester GPA would influence our spot on the WL? Im not like tanking its just like would a B+/A- vs an A in a class be a difference?
Maybe? There is much, much more that goes into a medical school acceptance than a single semester GPA.

If I’ve already sent a Letter of Intent, should I be writing another one? Feels kinda weird and would I write completely new information that my first one?
Yeah I think they mean update letters/letters of interest and letters of intent via the application portal.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I’ve already sent a Letter of Intent, should I be writing another one? Feels kinda weird and would I write completely new information that my first one?
I think if you have new information to update them, then it probably doesn't hurt.

Are WL decisions also only released on Thursdays? It's interesting there doesn't seem to have been any movement yet

Hey guys,

So I had a question for anyone familiar with UVM. Is the clinical experience better at either location? My concern is that there isn’t that many people at the Vt locations which means that you might not see as many patients compared to Ct or is that actually good since you will be able to interact with attendings more?

Thank you.

UVM is the only tier 1 trauma center in VT. You're going to see plenty at either.

Hey guys,

So I had a question for anyone familiar with UVM. Is the clinical experience better at either location? My concern is that there isn’t that many people at the Vt locations which means that you might not see as many patients compared to Ct or is that actually good since you will be able to interact with attendings more?

Thank you.
I have moved your post to the Vermont thread as that is where you will most likely hear from existing students or applicants in the local area.

Hey guys,

Thank you.
You'll get good experience at either. Will it be the same experience as a school in a major city? Probably not, but people travel hours (not because of traffic but because of distance) to go to UVMMC so you will see lots of interesting pathologies. Not a ton of ethnic diversity but lots of socioeconomic diversity across VT. Some high acuity patients choose to go to Boston, though. I know a few people who went to UVM and they were able to get great hands-on training with more autonomy than big-name academic centers. As long as you are competent and enthusiastic you will get great training.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted off Alternate List; October interview

Reactions: 7 users
seems like the waitlist is finally moving now 🤧 good luck everyone ❤️

Reactions: 2 users
i'm unwell thank you for asking. looks like there was WL movement this time last year but doesn't sound like anyone's seen any yet 😭
I’m hoping we’ll see some movement soon, let’s keep the hope alive!

Edit: just saw that there was some movement. Let’s hope that the traction continues. We got this!! Our time will come!!

Last edited:
OOS A yesterday. I am over the moon.

Does anyone know how to access the Estimated Family Contribution from the FAFSA form? It seems as though it is no longer a feature of the 2024-2025 form.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know the amount of in-person class at UVM? Are there any sample class scheduled available?

Does anyone know the amount of in-person class at UVM? Are there any sample class scheduled available?
They're heavy on in-person learning but it seems like most of it is optional based on talking to students. I got to sit in on a few classes and they were very interesting though.

ACCEPTED at 9:48 am this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Interview October, DD December, Waitlist May 2. Sent a letter of intent so I will be committing to enroll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See ya in Burly.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
Congrats to all the recently accepted folks :) I am new to SDN and interested in connecting with people/finding potential roommates.. feel free to message me (I'm female but have no gender preferences)

Congrats to all the recently accepted folks :) I am new to SDN and interested in connecting with people/finding potential roommates.. feel free to message me (I'm female but have no gender preferences)
is there a groupme or facebook for accepted students?
There is a facebook group link on the "useful links" tab on the accepted students page. Overview, Admitted, Larner College of Medicine Admissions, Larner college of Medicine at the University of Vermont

• Love
ACCEPTED at 9:48 am this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Interview October, DD December, Waitlist May 2. Sent a letter of intent so I will be committing to enroll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See ya in Burly.
ME TOO! congrats future classmate 🫂🫂

II October, DD December, WL May and got off today at 10 am. i also sent a LOI.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Its been like 6 months since i interviewed but if i recall i think their curriculum emphasizes in person class for the most part
We were told that the classes are recorded and not mandatory during Closer Look. They let you know about mandatory sessions when they come up. From the students I talked to it seemed like about half preferred to just watch recordings at home and the other half went to lectures, but it was not mandatory.

Extremely tough decision, but decided to withdraw from Larner today (received an A off a WL). It is a great school and I will certainly miss all of you who I met at Second Look. Best of luck to all on the WL!

• Care
So whats the 101 on clothing I need in vermont coming from the west coast lol

So whats the 101 on clothing I need in vermont coming from the west coast lol
Business casual for clinical functions. Get a lightweight fleece for 40-60deg weather and a heavy down/puffer jacket for when it gets really cold. Layer in sweaters etc as needed. At least one pair of waterproof boots for walking around campus, it's snowy or sleet/muddy for like 7-8 months.

Are you saying the "Your Student Aid Index (SAI)" number is the same as EFC? I thought EFC would be 0 since we file as independent now on the FAFSA, also my family will in fact be contributing 0 lol
I think that’s why they renamed it, because the SAI/EFC has always looked at how much the people technically financially responsible for you—your parents when you’re still an undergrad or yourself once you turn 24 (I think that’s the age). Essentially the SAI is how much you should be able to reasonably pay towards your academic fees (theoretically).

Made an extremely difficult decision to withdraw (A after delayed decision in mid April) - good luck to everyone still on the WL!