2023-2024 Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Vermont (Larner College of Medicine) secondary essay prompts (completely new questions)
(Interviews are virtual for 2023-2024)
1. The Larner College of Medicine curriculum emphasizes active in-person participation and peer co-learning which translates into strong clinical practice. This relies on individual students preparing for, and being actively involved in, participatory class sessions. Please share your thoughts on the suitability of active learning for you. You may use any of the points below to guide your response. (Maximum 400 words)

- Navigating a group learning process.
- Personal contributions to such a learning environment and areas of growth.
- The value of balancing your learning with the teaching of your classmates.
- Any potential challenges to this approach to learning.

2. The Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont recognizes that diversity extends beyond chosen and unchosen identities and encompasses an individual’s entire experiences. Diverse environments can promote growth and provide an opportunity for reflection. Reflect on a time you learned something from someone or a group of people who are unlike yourself and how that challenged your preconceptions or biases. How will this experience influence your behavior in the future? (Maximum 400 words)

3. The Larner College of Medicine has core values that are reflected in our professionalism statement. How has your understanding of what professionalism means evolved over time? Reflect on a personal experience that contributed to your understanding of your own core values. (Maximum 300 words)

4. What unique opportunities at Larner College of Medicine would be meaningful to you in your education and how do these align with your larger goal of becoming a physician? (Maximum 250 words)

5. (Optional) Use this space to share any information, not presented elsewhere, that will clarify any aspect of your application. If you are a reapplicant, you may choose to share what you have done since your previous application. (Maximum 250 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Vermont College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UVM is hosting a reapplication seminar right now, and they stated that they are changing their secondary questions this year—just an FYI.

Reactions: 2 users
secondary received just now, OOS

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Essays:

1. The Larner College of Medicine curriculum emphasizes active in-person participation and peer co-learning which translates into strong clinical practice. This relies on individual students preparing for, and being actively involved in, participatory class sessions. Please share your thoughts on the suitability of active learning for you. You may use any of the points below to guide your response. (Maximum 400 word count).

- Navigating a group learning process.
- Personal contributions to such a learning environment and areas of growth.
- The value of balancing your learning with the teaching of your classmates.
- Any potential challenges to this approach to learning.

2. The Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont recognizes that diversity extends beyond chosen and unchosen identities and encompasses an individual’s entire experiences. Diverse environments can promote growth and provide an opportunity for reflection. Reflect on a time you learned something from someone or a group of people who are unlike yourself and how that challenged your preconceptions or biases. How will this experience influence your behavior in the future? (Maximum 400 word count)

3. The Larner College of Medicine has core values that are reflected in our professionalism statement. How has your understanding of what professionalism means evolved over time? Reflect on a personal experience that contributed to your understanding of your own core values. (Maximum 300 word count)

4. What unique opportunities at Larner College of Medicine would be meaningful to you in your education and how do these align with your larger goal of becoming a physician? (Maximum 250 word count).

5. (Optional) Use this space to share any information, not presented elsewhere, that will clarify any aspect of your application. If you are a reapplicant, you may choose to share what you have done since your previous application. (Maximum 250 word count)

Reactions: 5 users
I’m an applicant from the past cycle and full disclosure, completed application in mid July, interviewed in September, and withdrew from the WL few weeks ago. I committed to another top choice MD school thankfully.

To those of you applying to LCOM, it’s potentially going to be a very very long process. They introduced an option of Delayed Decision this past cycle as a post-interview decision option. They say this is to help them pace out their decisions and to give fair chance to all applicants. However, given their rolling admissions policy, I thought that it is rather unfair to those who submitted early, to those who get interviewed early, and to those who deserve to be considered earlier as a result. Besides that, I was told during the interview that we would hear back mid-November. But November came and went silently. I finally heard back at the tail end of January with no solid decision, but rather with the aforementioned Delayed Decision. Nothing happened until May 1ish when majority of Delayed Decisions got hit with the official WL notification. That essentially is 9 months of waiting until I got a solid post-interview decision. No other school among the 50 or so I applied to and a handful I interviewed at last year took this long. LCOM is a wonderful institution and the interview day made that even clearer. However, the long process and the uncertainty is an absolute pain to deal with, even among programs that are clearly known for the lack of communication and transparency in this game. I am thankful for their consideration but I would have appreciated better communication to manage a more realistic expectation about post-interview decisions. They may have streamlined their process for this cycle. But I figured you all deserve to know the precedent. I am happy to answer any questions regarding my experience. Good luck to all!

Reactions: 12 users
Anyone else's portal also say their CASPer score hasn't been received?

Reactions: 1 users
OOS Secondary received, verified 6/9

I my first speeding ticket yesterday:( I haven't technically been convicted yet, and plan to go to court to get the ticket dropped or do traffic school if I cannot get it dropped. Would I disclose this on the application if I have not yet been convicted? In my state, it also is only an infraction and not a misdemeanor.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
OOS secondary received today!

OOS Secondary Received today

For where it asks for a course name on the prerequisite page, does it mean to enter like "CHE 002" or should I "General Chemistry?"

Are y'all answering the optional question? If so, what type of essay are you including?

I'm struggling with answering the first question. For the first, should I just talk about why I think active learning would be good for me/how I would contribute to an active learning environment? Should I talk about my experiences with "active learning"?? Should I be addressing ALL of the bullet points they gave?

I'm struggling with answering the first question. For the first, should I just talk about why I think active learning would be good for me/how I would contribute to an active learning environment? Should I talk about my experiences with "active learning"?? Should I be addressing ALL of the bullet points they gave?
The prompt is self explanatory, and the bullets are guidelines. But yes, with examples, show that you would thrive in an active learning environment.

What kind of topic would be appropriate to include in the optional essay? I feel like the rest of the questions cover all my bases, but I was wondering if anyone had an idea.

What kind of topic would be appropriate to include in the optional essay? I feel like the rest of the questions cover all my bases, but I was wondering if anyone had an idea.
Well, the prompt asks whether there was something important you still had to share. Only you would know if you did a lot of pre-writing if there was a glaring gap you wanted to fill for them.

I didn't put anything for it tbh. Felt kind of awkward if I tried to chuck in an adversity or covid essay lol

"The Larner College of Medicine has core values that are reflected in our professionalism statement. How has your understanding of what professionalism means evolved over time? Reflect on a personal experience that contributed to your understanding of your own core values. (Maximum 300 words)". Did you guys approach the personal experience from how you demonstrated professionalism, or professinalism you witnessed happen?

"The Larner College of Medicine has core values that are reflected in our professionalism statement. How has your understanding of what professionalism means evolved over time? Reflect on a personal experience that contributed to your understanding of your own core values. (Maximum 300 words)". Did you guys approach the personal experience from how you demonstrated professionalism, or professinalism you witnessed happen?
highly recommend incorporating both to make it clear that not only did you learn professionalism, but also incorporated it, practiced it and developed it over time.

You are the one going to medical school, so I prefer your actions that resulted from observations. See, do, teach.

I wrote about what i thought it was to me initially and how that view evolved after something I observed. From the way this worded I felt like that was good enough tbh. I think it would feel contrived if I tried to cram something about how I demonstrated it too afterwards.

Did this happen to anyone else? I checked on my portal, and saids that CASPer has been received and theres a green check mark to it. I just took it today tho? So Im confused. I checked on their website it saids "A completed application includes a submitted secondary and fee, letters of recommendation, and registration for the CASPer no later than December 2023." So does that mean that they haven't received my actual score yet, but just received the fact that I signed up for CASPer?

Did this happen to anyone else? I checked on my portal, and saids that CASPer has been received and theres a green check mark to it. I just took it today tho? So Im confused. I checked on their website it saids "A completed application includes a submitted secondary and fee, letters of recommendation, and registration for the CASPer no later than December 2023." So does that mean that they haven't received my actual score yet, but just received the fact that I signed up for CASPer?
Yes

For the residency history question that is just if you are considered IS or have ties to Vermont in terms of living there

did anyone get a message once they were complete?

For the required courses section, should we just put the minimum courses that fulfill the requirements? For example, if I took other bio classes, I shouldn't include ALL of them, right?

I was verified early and still haven't received secondaries . Is anyone else experiencing this ?

I've yet to receive a secondary. Is this school selective? Should I call and try to get an update? AMCAS verified 6/16.

I've yet to receive a secondary. Is this school selective? Should I call and try to get an update? AMCAS verified 6/16.
I would call/email and ask! I've seen some people comment on other threads that there have been glitches with receiving secondaries

II received just now! OOS, LM 64

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Edit: there's conflicting info in their email/website concerning virtual/in person. Emailed to clarify

Last edited:
  • Sad
Confirmed, interviews are virtual

II received this morning. LM 77, secondary completed July 6th.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users