2023-2024 UT Tyler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! Two Questions: Do you have ties to East Texas? Also, when did you submit your secondary?
Yes, I grew up in a town just outside of Tyler and my parents still live there. Submitted 6/21

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
new podcast episode with the dean: Brigham Willis: Exploring the future of medical education in East Texas – UT Tyler Radio 99.7 KVUT

final number is 6 out of region acceptances and all of them had direct ties and were from dallas area.
Well shoot. I guess I am self-screening out as well. I have some indirect ties that my sister used to live in Tyler and Sulfur Springs. My parents plan to move to the area when they retire in a few years. While I could see my self practicing in the area I think it is gonna be a hard sale that I actually want to come there.

friend got II today! strong ties & good GPA, low mcat

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invite today! IS, complete 7/14.

interview invite today! IS, complete 7/4, no direct ties.

II just now! IS, URM, not from east Texas and no ties.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
+1 II! IS, LM 77, ORM, CS major, indicated indirect ties to East Texas in the app.

Reactions: 2 users
+1 II, super stoked. Are there any good resources for MMI prep?

Reactions: 2 users
Heard through the grapevine that the Early Assurance Program will be rolling out this cycle in August. Likely why they’re inviting low/no ties right now because EAP will only be open to those graduating/graduated from the 9 ETX universities, and they have separate interview dates (i don’t have a list but it’s like UTT/SFA/etc). They came to the schools to present it to the students last semester. There are 40 spots in the program and each school has an allotted number. Out of those 40, 15 will be admitted (also an allotted number of seats dedicated to each school. ex: utt gets 10 students total in the program and 5 get an acceptance). The other 25 are still eligible for regular admissions.

So the entering class will be 25 regular admit students and 15 EAP students.

I’ll post info when I get it- this is basically all I know ahah.

Heard through the grapevine that the Early Assurance Program will be rolling out this cycle in August. Likely why they’re inviting low/no ties right now because EAP will only be open to those graduating/graduated from the 9 ETX universities, and they have separate interview dates (i don’t have a list but it’s like UTT/SFA/etc). They came to the schools to present it to the students last semester. There are 40 spots in the program and each school has an allotted number. Out of those 40, 15 will be admitted (also an allotted number of seats dedicated to each school. ex: utt gets 10 students total in the program and 5 get an acceptance). The other 25 are still eligible for regular admissions.

which are the 9 universities?

So 15 out of 40 seats are reserved for current students at these schools? Kind of puts a limit for all others right?

How many undergrad students got in last year from UTT?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It would be nice if the MSAR data was in for the first class now that their semester has started.

For those of you that got interviews, were you able to schedule an early one? Got II today but they're booked out until October

which are the 9 universities?

So 15 out of 40 seats are reserved for current students at these schools? Kind of puts a limit for all others right?

How many undergrad students got in last year from UTT?
I heard 9 from UTT got in last year and 60 something applied.

I don’t have a list of the 9 but the UTT pharmacy school has a list of 10 schools for their EAP so I’m assuming it’s probably pretty adjacent.

but yes, regular applicants are competing for 25 seats. EAP students won’t know until December/Jan (?) if they’re in the accepted group though so I wonder how that’ll impact prematch.

I'm a little confused on how EAPs work. I thought EAPs were for students that would enroll 1-2 years in the future? So why would that impact the number of students in this year's class?

I'm a little confused on how EAPs work. I thought EAPs were for students that would enroll 1-2 years in the future? So why would that impact the number of students in this year's class?
It's all new for this school & it doesn't affect y'all right now.
Usually a college student has to participate in activities with the med school, meet prerequisites, maintain a certain GPA, and have an acceptable interview.

i’m future years it will come out April of the app year. it’s not a traditional EDP. it starts in april and is essentially an extended interview with opportunities to engage throughout the April-December duration. once they publish more info it may make more sense bc i also am not sure why it’s an early assurance program if over half the people who get chosen don’t get accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
i’m future years it will come out April of the app year. it’s not a traditional EDP. it starts in april and is essentially an extended interview with opportunities to engage throughout the April-December duration. once they publish more info it may make more sense bc i also am not sure why it’s an early assurance program if over half the people who get chosen don’t get accepted.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info! Good luck this application cycle!

For those of you that got interviews, were you able to schedule an early one? Got II today but they're booked out until October
I scheduled mine for Aug 1... wish me luck😭

You are saying there are 15 seats reserved in the 2024 class or is that for batch after?

You are saying there are 15 seats reserved in the 2024 class or is that for batch after?
for 2024. it starts this year. applications open in August and they’ll find out in December!

Is the interview reservation system/calendar on the portal not working for anyone else?

A few questions for people that did the meet and greet last year: Were there activities? Did they have food? Was it a lot of faculty or just a handful of Deans?

A few questions for people that did the meet and greet last year: Were there activities? Did they have food? Was it a lot of faculty or just a handful of Deans?
Snack food. I interviewed in early August so I don’t think they had most of their faculty hired but all the big name ones are there. This year students will also be there! No activities, just time to connect.

Good luck to the first round of interviewees today!

• Love
I have a question regarding MMIs. Are the stations like 1 on 1 interviews? I know there are group activity portions - but are the mini interviews individual, or are you with others?

I have a question regarding MMIs. Are the stations like 1 on 1 interviews? I know there are group activity portions - but are the mini interviews individual, or are you with others?
They are individual. Think of it like giving a CASPer answer to a human being, who might ask you followup questions.

Anxiously waiting to see if I get an interview invite :cryi: I saw some people already got interviews. Is it time to loose hope :(

Anxiously waiting to see if I get an interview invite :cryi: I saw some people already got interviews. Is it time to loose hope :(
Unless you have ties to the area, it is not easy to get an interview.

just now submitted my primary to tmdsas. honestly was so terrified to even apply but hopeful lol. I have strong regional ties, did research and shadowed at ut tyler health science center and have good grades in a masters program but horrible undergrad grades so it will be a miracle. Do y'all think it's too late?

Last edited:
just now submitted my primary to tmdsas. honestly was so terrified to even apply but hopeful lol. I have strong regional ties, did research and shadowed at ut tyler and have good grades in a masters program but horrible undergrad grades so it will be a miracle. Do y'all think it's too late?
Nope- now that it’s turned in go find all the secondary essays on our school pages and get those written and saved while TMDSAS is processing your app.
Wait to send them until each school asks you

• Care
Nope- now that it’s turned in go find all the secondary essays on our school pages and get those written and saved while TMDSAS is processing your app.
Wait to send them until each school asks you
thank you so much, that's great advice and i'll work on it asap! ♥

@wysdoc TMDSAS is showing that they are processing Applications submitted on 7/2, My primary was submitted 6/30, haven't recieved any communication/updated on portal that I am verified /complete. Should I be worried?

@wysdoc TMDSAS is showing that they are processing Applications submitted on 7/2, My primary was submitted 6/30, haven't recieved any communication/updated on portal that I am verified /complete. Should I be worried?
If there was anything they needed to correct or ask you to verify it can take a bit longer. Be sure to look for messages from TMDSAS in your portal, but if there is any extra information they need from you they will usually send you an email too and say “check your portal for a message.”

If there was anything they needed to correct or ask you to verify it can take a bit longer. Be sure to look for messages from TMDSAS in your portal, but if there is any extra information they need from you they will usually send you an email too and say “check your portal for a message.”
Thanks much! I haven't recieved any email/message so far, will wait.

I recieved email this morning that Application is complete and is Transmitted, I am ready with my Secondaries, Should I wait for the emails from colleges or is it via Portal?

just now submitted my primary to tmdsas. honestly was so terrified to even apply but hopeful lol. I have strong regional ties, did research and shadowed at ut tyler health science center and have good grades in a masters program but horrible undergrad grades so it will be a miracle. Do y'all think it's too late?
Tyler holds spots open until interviews are done ◡̈

Tyler holds spots open until interviews are done ◡̈
What does this mean? Someone mentioned above that they interview until January. Does this mean they still send out interview invites until then or do they just book the interviews early and book them out to January?

Just trying to get a feel for this! Still hoping I get an interview! Tyler is my first choice school. I do not have direct ties to East Texas but I do want to practice rural medicine and would move/stay there if I got in! I am from Dallas, good grades, low MCAT, alot of healthcare work and volunteering. Fingers crossed!

What does this mean? Someone mentioned above that they interview until January. Does this mean they still send out interview invites until then or do they just book the interviews early and book them out to January?

Just trying to get a feel for this! Still hoping I get an interview! Tyler is my first choice school. I do not have direct ties to East Texas but I do want to practice rural medicine and would move/stay there if I got in! I am from Dallas, good grades, low MCAT, alot of healthcare work and volunteering. Fingers crossed!
They do not send out all of their acceptances until interviews are over so that the later interview dates have spots to be considered for.