2023-2024 SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would anyone be willing to share what their student interview was like?
Relatively chill they had like a few traditional questions to ask like tell me about yourself, what is unique about you, etc. Take it as an opportunity to ask questions and learn more about their experiences as a student. It was like 20 mins tops

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
has anyone WITHOUT an ii sent an update letter? i would love to go here and getting kinda antsy, but their website says to send letters after interviewing only

has anyone WITHOUT an ii sent an update letter? i would love to go here and getting kinda antsy, but their website says to send letters after interviewing only
I don’t think they accept them. This was at the bottom of the “application complete” email: “Please do not submit any additional materials unless you receive a request to do so.”

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think they accept them. This was at the bottom of the “application complete” email: “Please do not submit any additional materials unless you receive a request to do so.”
if we sent an update letter in the portal without a request to do so, should i delete it?
i sent them a letter via email and they said it will be attached to my file and reviewed

Guys, I need some advice: I have a low MCAT (below 505) and a high GPA (3.9+) and I just got an interview with DS. How do I discuss the mcat with them I don't want to mess up! DS is my #1 school. I still don't understand how I got this interview. Also, can someone explain how it works with A/WL/R with Downstate, I saw it depends on when you interview (mine in early March). And if I'm interviewing for a WL spot how do they rank ppl on the waitlist, is it based on stats? pls, any advice is appreciated! Anyone in a similar boat

Guys, I need some advice: I have a low MCAT (below 505) and a high GPA (3.9+) and I just got an interview with DS. How do I discuss the mcat with them I don't want to mess up! DS is my #1 school. I still don't understand how I got this interview. Also, can someone explain how it works with A/WL/R with Downstate, I saw it depends on when you interview (mine in early March). And if I'm interviewing for a WL spot how do they rank ppl on the waitlist, is it based on stats? pls, any advice is appreciated! Anyone in a similar boat
First of all congrats on the interview it's a massive achievement!! Now onto your question, by receiving the interview Downstate is basically telling you "we like what we see please tell us more." I wouldn't worry too much now about your stats-- what's done is done. Try and focus on why you love Downstate so much and how you plan to contribute to the Flatbush/ Brooklyn community. If you're IS, a lot of state school are a little more holistic with their acceptances. You definitely need a good reason to explain the MCAT, but a lower MCAT is not the end of the world. We all have off days and tt's an insane test!! My best advice would be to reflect and think about what went wrong that day. Not enough sleep? A particularly difficult C/P section that colored the entire day? They may not even ask you about it in all honesty. It's going to be alright. The only thing we can do now is focus on the interview, and I am certain you will not preform to the best of your abilities if you are 100% focused on this one aspect of your app. Feel free to DM me if you want to chat more and good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users
First of all congrats on the interview it's a massive achievement!! Now onto your question, by receiving the interview Downstate is basically telling you "we like what we see please tell us more." I wouldn't worry too much now about your stats-- what's done is done. Try and focus on why you love Downstate so much and how you plan to contribute to the Flatbush/ Brooklyn community. If you're IS, a lot of state school are a little more holistic with their acceptances. You definitely need a good reason to explain the MCAT, but a lower MCAT is not the end of the world. We all have off days and tt's an insane test!! My best advice would be to reflect and think about what went wrong that day. Not enough sleep? A particularly difficult C/P section that colored the entire day? They may not even ask you about it in all honesty. It's going to be alright. The only thing we can do now is focus on the interview, and I am certain you will not preform to the best of your abilities if you are 100% focused on this one aspect of your app. Feel free to DM me if you want to chat more and good luck!!
thank you so much! I'll definitely dm you!

Reactions: 1 user
hey!! congrats on the interview! I have a below average MCAT (below a 510) and got an interview here and i think the most important thing is being able to discuss how you learned from a "setback" or what you're going to do to improve if one aspect of your app is not as strong. at least that's how I took it, but feel free to DM me if you have any more questions and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! I hope you took a second to celebrate all you and your big and small victories. This process can sometimes make us forget what we do is enough. Anywhomst based on your question, I agree with what my peers have said above. One thing from my interview was that they focused on what am I trying to get out of Downstate and my interest in it. They wanted to see an active effort to learn about the school (i.e. am I planning on visiting, etc.) Since it is your #1 choice, I think let your excitement about the place shine through and how you see yourself at the school! LMK if you have any questions and good luck! you got this

i sent them a letter via email and they said it will be attached to my file and reviewed
This is the confirmation I needed to be bold! Hahah thank you so much. Going to send mine since it’s looking like a no interview either way. Would you mind sharing which email you sent yours to?

Congratulations! I hope you took a second to celebrate all you and your big and small victories. This process can sometimes make us forget what we do is enough. Anywhomst based on your question, I agree with what my peers have said above. One thing from my interview was that they focused on what am I trying to get out of Downstate and my interest in it. They wanted to see an active effort to learn about the school (i.e. am I planning on visiting, etc.) Since it is your #1 choice, I think let your excitement about the place shine through and how you see yourself at the school! LMK if you have any questions and good luck! you got this
Thank you!!! I will dm you:)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey!! congrats on the interview! I have a below average MCAT (below a 510) and got an interview here and i think the most important thing is being able to discuss how you learned from a "setback" or what you're going to do to improve if one aspect of your app is not as strong. at least that's how I took it, but feel free to DM me if you have any more questions and good luck!
Thank you!

Hey, current student here. I know of one person in my class with a similar mcat. As you can imagine, we don't discuss mcat scores very often so there could very well be more. You got this interview because of something(s) they liked. I would be prepared to talk about those things.

I interviewed in April so there's definitely a chance. WL's seem to be the more common later in the cycle (completely anecdotal based on SDN) but the WL moves. I would definitely be prepared to talk about the mcat and how you plan to face the med school curriculum. Also WHY you want to go to downstate. feel free to dm me

Reactions: 2 users
According to what I heard during the interview, they offered ~1500 people interview, for around 200 spots. They will probably send 300-400 acceptances. So basically ~30% acceptance rate once interviewed. This is also common for most med schools.

According to what I heard during the interview, they offered ~1500 people interview, for around 200 spots. They will probably send 300-400 acceptances. So basically ~30% acceptance rate once interviewed. This is also common for most med schools.
I was told around 1000 so maybe within that range.

That seems awfully low compared to all the other SUNYs which are closer to 60%. Are you sure about those numbers?

That seems awfully low compared to all the other SUNYs which are closer to 60%. Are you sure about those numbers?
Yeah I am not sure 1500 interviewed sounds a little too high. I heard 1000 but acceptance rates probably differ between instate vs out of state.

On MSAR it says around 925 total interview, and there are a total of 200 spots. not sure if thats the most accurate source though

1500 omg???? Msar said around 740 or something in state and around 200 OOS last year

Does anyone have any updated insight as to when they expect to release decisions?
Post Valentine’s Day was what they said when I called. People earlier on this threat said earlier dates were given to them, but I’m not sure how accurate that information is.

Post Valentine’s Day was what they said when I called. People earlier on this threat said earlier dates were given to them, but I’m not sure how accurate that information is.
During the 11/17 Info Sesh they said they’ll be releasing earlier this year starting January. not sure if they’re backtracking now or the admins just not on the same page

During the 11/17 Info Sesh they said they’ll be releasing earlier this year starting January. not sure if they’re backtracking now or the admins just not on the same page
Ok gotcha. I called the office in december to ask a few questions and was told post valentines day. May we will get lucky and hear earlier tho!!

Did anyone else get an email anytime post-interview about having to provide more information on additional questions???? Confused not sure how to take this

Did anyone else get an email anytime post-interview about having to provide more information on additional questions???? Confused not sure how to take this
Some of my friends got this and I think I saw in previous threads as well. Not a bad sign at all I spoke to some Downstate students who got that additional questions prompt before. Some get it and some don’t they probably just needed clarification on something.

IS II today, complete 9/30. Can anyone share what types of questions were asked during the interview?

Got it thank you. How long after the interview did it take to hear about or sign up for the tours?
I got the email about signing up for a tour 2 weeks after my interview!

IS applicant- URM but 498 MCAT (RIP me) and meh GPA- no II, Complete 9/27.
I figure by now it's an R but any idea why they wouldn't have rejected me by now? (Trying not to have false hope :cool: )

I figure by now it's an R but any idea why they wouldn't have rejected me by now? (Trying not to have false hope :cool: )
I don’t think they’ve sent any Pre II rejections out yet

Reactions: 2 users
People who have been asked follow-up questions post-interview, how long did you make your responses?

Honestly it also depends on what other qualities you have as well. I do have to admit tho, a meh gpa coupled with below 500 MCAT could be seen as a red flag. But at the end of the day, thats just one part of your application, you have other things there as well. Downstate likes to use the "Distance Traveled" approach to looking at their applicants. This means that they take a more holistic view of the applicants and take into account the hardship and obstacles that you have come around throughout your medical journey. Good luck on everything, and if your gpa and mcat are a problem and you have to apply again, consider looking into SMPs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
any oos complete late august hear anything?