2023-2024 SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Silly question but I am new to the forum and don't know what all of the acronyms mean, can you explain? Is IS II in state secondary? or interview? and what is LM and ORM? Thank you!!

hi! IS II is in state interview invite. LM is lizzy m score found on the SDN page and ORM is over represented in medicine. i was confused initially too, hope this helps!!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Any September completes like right at Labor Day get II yet? Slowly losing hope.

Reactions: 1 user
Silly question but I am new to the forum and don't know what all of the acronyms mean, can you explain? Is IS II in state secondary? or interview? and what is LM and ORM? Thank you!!
Exactly what Woop99 said! It took forever to figure out what II meant not gonna lie.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
IS II 10/16! complete 9/30, LM 72

Last edited:
IS II 10/16, complete 9/30, LM 72
ECs if you don't mind sharing? I have a 71 LM and haven't heard anything from Downstate at all. Complete early September as well this school kind of making me scared at this point lol

Reactions: 2 users
ECs if you don't mind sharing? I have a 71 LM and haven't heard anything from Downstate at all. Complete early September as well this school kind of making me scared at this point lol
I have a pretty cohesive volunteering/community involvement aspect in my ECs, so thinking that may be why I had a shorter turnaround time? Otherwise my app is very research heavy, ~700 hours clinical job, ~100 hours shadowing, but minimal clinical volunteering.

This whole process is so unpredictable, keep your head up and I'm sure you'll get the II soon!!

I just had mine yesterday, very low stress. The interviewer asked me a series of specific questions from the admission committee. Asked about how I deal with stress, my study habits, how I studied for the mcat, challenges I have faced. Asked about my background, contribution to diversity. Prep to explain every blimp in your record, any low grades, any time off, any red flags etc

Super chill! My interviewer was really nice and they just have an informal convo with you about yourself. They don’t have your app info or anything else about you, so it’s just kinda to get to know you as a human rather than applicant lol
Hi! I have my interview next week and was wondering if we find out beforehand who we are interviewing with? How much in advance do they send the zoom link? was the invitation sent via email?

any OOS IIs? Complete around 08/22 so getting a little worried lol

Hi! I have my interview next week and was wondering if we find out beforehand who we are interviewing with? How much in advance do they send the zoom link? was the invitation sent via email?
Email a few days before. Doesn’t explicitly state who will interview you but you can check who the zoom link invite was sent to.

They will “officially” send you a profile of your interviewer the morning of but I was able to find them through the interview invite a few days prior.

quick q! I recently received a pretty competitive scholarship that would cover full tuition at any med school. I want to update my schools to tell them, but not all schools appreciate application updates. Should I email the office of admissions or could it be potentially harmful to my application if they don't like updates?

quick q! I recently received a pretty competitive scholarship that would cover full tuition at any med school. I want to update my schools to tell them, but not all schools appreciate application updates. Should I email the office of admissions or could it be potentially harmful to my application if they don't like updates?
congratulations! I think you can check on each school's website if they have a hard no for application updates (I know that Rosalind Franklin doesn't). if they don't describe on their site, you can also email admissions to ask if they accept updates to make sure!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone apply MD/PhD here and just receive that email?... :(

is there anyone who's interview was shorter? I tried to give my best answers to everything but kinda freaking out right now as my interview didnt go for long...

Should I be worried if I haven’t received an II? I am from NYC and have competitive stats, so I was hoping to receive an II from Downstate. I was complete in early August

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Should I be worried if I haven’t received an II? I am from NYC and have competitive stats, so I was hoping to receive an II from Downstate. I was complete in early August
Same here lol although my numerical stats are more towards their median (~71). None of my friends have gotten an II from there as well and they have great apps so I’m thinking hopefully that they are just being very slow.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what the writing assignment is that is due after interview? My interview ends at 3:30 and it's due at 4:00?

anyone who interviewed get a campus tour invitation? is this a good sign?

I think everyone who interviews gets a campus tour invitation post interview! I think I read about it in one of their files

IS II complete early Sept! LM 71 and December dates available. Anyone who has already interviewed have any advice on the format and questions like is it traditional, any trick questions, etc? Is it just question answer or open ended/conversational? It’s my first MD interview this cycle and incidentally my top choice so just freaking out a bit lol.

IS II complete early Sept! LM 71 and December dates available. Anyone who has already interviewed have any advice on the format and questions like is it traditional, any trick questions, etc? Is it just question answer or open ended/conversational? It’s my first MD interview this cycle and incidentally my top choice so just freaking out a bit lol.
Congrats! It's a chill traditional interview. Just know your app well enough to answer any questions they may ask about it or stories from your experiences you can talk about. I guess specifics really just varies from interviewer to interviewer.

IS II this morning!! Complete 8/23, LM 67, January dates available

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
How many times can a school ask me to submit an additional document bro

I got two post-interview additional questions.
I interviewed about a month ago and never heard any follow up. Are the prompts similar to the secondary questions? I'm wondering if I maybe missed something!

IS II! Complete 10/3. LM 74 :)

P.S. They’re scheduling into February now

• Love
I interviewed about a month ago and never heard any follow up. Are the prompts similar to the secondary questions? I'm wondering if I maybe missed something!
They don't send it to everyone.

which december dates were avail for you? mine seemed late