2023-2024 SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if there will still be A's that were not AL? I haven't seen any A's from November-on yet unless they don't use SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if there will still be A's that were not AL? I haven't seen any A's from November-on yet unless they don't use SDN.
I reallyyyyy hope this is the case. I saw last year there were people ALed 4/3 with an A the day after

Only As on cycletrack for this year were late Jan

Members don't see this ad :)
IS AL today. Not sure how relevant this is to AL movement but the AL page on the portal says that the class is already full and they’ll be pulling off the AL as spots become available

I have not received a netid email yet. does this mean im F'ed. I interviewed back in the first week of december and got AL'd during the first wave

I have not received a netid email yet. does this mean im F'ed. I interviewed back in the first week of december and got AL'd during the first wave
Don't sweat it. I interviewed in September, AL first wave and haven't gotten one yet. I don't think it's an indicator of much and I dont think the vast majority of AL ppl have gotten it.

Don't sweat it. I interviewed in September, AL first wave and haven't gotten one yet. I don't think it's an indicator of much and I dont think the vast majority of AL ppl have gotten it.
If you did receive one though, would that be a better sign?

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone who emailed their health clearance forms to student health, did you get it checked off the pre-matric list? If so how long did it take? Idk if I should also upload it as an additional document

Interviewed in the beginning of Feb, received alternate email yesterday - not an R so I guess that's a positive lol.

So u can only do the student health forms and such if you get your netid? I didn’t get it and I can’t access any of it🥲

Last edited:
I also didn’t get a netid, the health forms are on their website. I emailed them to student health.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody going to the info session tmrw? Maybe we can get more insight then

does anyone know what the future of downstate look like given the email about the potential shut down?

does anyone know what the future of downstate look like given the email about the potential shut down?
The university hospital itself honestly isn't used much. Almost everything (med student rotations, residencies, etc.) takes place at the much much larger Kings County Hospital, which isn't going anywhere

They have a dedicated "wing" at kings county for training med students, not the entire hospital. That's what my interviewer told me

Did anyone get their financial aid letter from Downstate yet?

For anyone who went to the info session did they say anything about waitlist movement?

When does classes start for suny downstate for first years? Also when is white coat ceremony

When does classes start for suny downstate for first years? Also when is white coat ceremony
Looks like classes start in the beginning/middle of August and white coat ceremony is towards the latter portion of september, based on last year's academic calendar.

Did anyone get the sign-up for campus tour, from the email this morning, I'm not even on AL:rofl:, they sent it to all interviewees ig

Is there any AL movement?? (Especially for those who interviewed in November) Last year, there was movement in the first week of April but I guess not this year.

Last edited:
Can someone please also ask if the AL is full yet, if you call them?

Based on what? And can we ask for where we are ranked?
After the admissions committee votes on your score order

(5-1), the final rank order and the WL to Acceptance order is based on something called the "priority personal attributes criteria" by the Admissions Oversight Subcommittee (AOS), which are as follows:

1. NYS resident
  2. URM
  3. Low SES/disadvantaged
  4. 1st generation college graduate
  5. US Military Service

So your movement off of the WL will depend more on your background at this point rather than GPA/MCAT.

After the admissions committee votes on your score order

(5-1), the final rank order and the WL to Acceptance order is based on something called the "priority personal attributes criteria" by the Admissions Oversight Subcommittee (AOS), which are as follows:

1. NYS resident
  2. URM
  3. Low SES/disadvantaged
  4. 1st generation college graduate
  5. US Military Service

So your movement off of the WL will depend more on your background at this point rather than GPA/MCAT.

Did they confirm this?

Do people get rejected if theyre not getting on the alternate list/are not receiving any alternate email? does anyone know?

Do people get rejected if theyre not getting on the alternate list/are not receiving any alternate email? does anyone know?
I believe they did. If not, more rejections next month. You can check at cycle track

Last edited:
Did they confirm this?
Went down a rabbit hole trying to figure out where this info might be from haha since I know we're all borderline desperate to understand the process, sharing what I understand...

@creativepanda please feel free to correct me, but I'm guessing you got this from a comment on last year's thread? The other comment from last year's thread cited two old Downstate policies available online. After looking at those policies, I'm not sure if background > GPA/MCAT for WL/AL movement is totally accurate. It does, however, seem like they do not pull from the WL/AL purely based off of rank as determined by admissions committee votes (which, to be fair, are already based off of more than GPA/MCAT). I've read adcom members on SDN explain that, rather than going purely on rank, some schools try to match acceptances from the waitlist with attributes of those who withdrew their acceptances (e.g. if an applicant with military service withdraws, they try to pull another applicant with military service [theoretically the AL/WL applicant with military service that was highest ranked by the adcom]). This is what I think the policies seem to be describing (making calling for your current ranking fairly useless). All with a grain of salt, as Downstate has proven unpredictable + these policies are old! :)

From 2019/2020: "... accept students from the score ordered list to be moved from the waitlist/alternate list to an accepted list based on the priority personal attributes criteria previously approved by the Admissions Committee to create balance in a class and to support one or more of the missions of the school. These criteria are that the applicant is (has): a New York State resident, under-represented in medicine, a first generation college graduate, a low socioeconomic and disadvantaged status, US military service, and experience in serving in urban communities. The Admissions Committee should receive a report [from the AOS], including how many waitlist/alternate list individuals were admitted and on what general bases the admissions decisions were made (e.g., rank order, create balance in the class, contribution to school missions)."

From 2020/2021: "The Admission Committee formally delegates authority to the AOS to review the wait list for admissions consideration based on the average committee score and personal attributes previously approved by the Admissions Committee to create balance in a class and to support one or more of the missions of the school."

Reactions: 2 users
Went down a rabbit hole trying to figure out where this info might be from haha since I know we're all borderline desperate to understand the process, sharing what I understand...

@creativepanda please feel free to correct me, but I'm guessing you got this from a comment on last year's thread? The other comment from last year's thread cited two old Downstate policies available online. After looking at those policies, I'm not sure if background > GPA/MCAT for WL/AL movement is totally accurate. It does, however, seem like they do not pull from the WL/AL purely based off of rank as determined by admissions committee votes (which, to be fair, are already based off of more than GPA/MCAT). I've read adcom members on SDN explain that, rather than going purely on rank, some schools try to match acceptances from the waitlist with attributes of those who withdrew their acceptances (e.g. if an applicant with military service withdraws, they try to pull another applicant with military service [theoretically the AL/WL applicant with military service that was highest ranked by the adcom]). This is what I think the policies seem to be describing (making calling for your current ranking fairly useless). All with a grain of salt, as Downstate has proven unpredictable + these policies are old! :)

From 2019/2020: "... accept students from the score ordered list to be moved from the waitlist/alternate list to an accepted list based on the priority personal attributes criteria previously approved by the Admissions Committee to create balance in a class and to support one or more of the missions of the school. These criteria are that the applicant is (has): a New York State resident, under-represented in medicine, a first generation college graduate, a low socioeconomic and disadvantaged status, US military service, and experience in serving in urban communities. The Admissions Committee should receive a report [from the AOS], including how many waitlist/alternate list individuals were admitted and on what general bases the admissions decisions were made (e.g., rank order, create balance in the class, contribution to school missions)."

From 2020/2021: "The Admission Committee formally delegates authority to the AOS to review the wait list for admissions consideration based on the average committee score and personal attributes previously approved by the Admissions Committee to create balance in a class and to support one or more of the missions of the school."
Wow 🤩 u really did ur research! Thanks!!

• Care