2023-2024 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS - is it worth sending a letter of interest?

Members don't see this ad.

OOS - is it worth sending a letter of interest?
Unfortunately no, I tried and they said they are severely understaffed and cannot accept any updates. They are barely making it through applications

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Unfortunately no, I tried and they said they are severely understaffed and cannot accept any updates. They are barely making it through applications
Seconding this - I tried sending one a few weeks ago and they said they aren't actually accepting updates this cycle despite what their FAQ page says.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I am planning to apply next year. What is the average MCAT for this school? Did anyone apply to 3 year track?
Are the interviews virtual?
Thank you!

ACCEPTED TO THE MD AND MD/MPH PROGRAM APPROXIMATELY 3 HOURS AGO!!!!! 😭

Literally was having a dream where a semi-bald guy I’d never met was telling me UM (MY #1 CHOICE Y’ALL) had accepted me, and that they were going to give me the official acceptance call on Monday!!!!
Woke up instantly and checked my emails to find out. This has got to be the best day of my LIFE!!!!! DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE WHEN YOU WORK YOUR HARDEST AND STAY PATIENT. I LOVE Y’ALL AND BEST OF LUCK:headphone:

For those wondering, I submitted my app 7/3, ii invite 11/14, ii date 11/17. OOS, LM 71

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
ACCEPTED TO THE MD AND MD/MPH PROGRAM APPROXIMATELY 3 HOURS AGO!!!!! 😭

Literally was having a dream where a semi-bald guy I’d never met was telling me UM (MY #1 CHOICE Y’ALL) had accepted me, and that they were going to give me the official acceptance call on Monday!!!!
Woke up instantly and checked my emails to find out. This has got to be the best day of my LIFE!!!!! DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE WHEN YOU WORK YOUR HARDEST AND STAY PATIENT. I LOVE Y’ALL AND BEST OF LUCK:headphone:

For those wondering, I submitted my app 7/3, ii invite 11/14, ii date 11/17. OOS, LM 71
Congratulations!! Great job!! Please share your stats. I want to apply next year. It would be really helpful to know accepted students’ MCAT scores, gpa, clinical hours and etc.
thank you!

Got the MD/MPH acceptance email this morning!
Non-trad reapplicant, ORM from California.
LM 74.9, WARS ~78-80
Primary 3JUL2023.
Secondary 6SEP2023.
Interview invite 17NOV2023.
Interviewed 27NOV2023. Told us we'd hear back soon after 13DEC2023 or 10JAN2024.
Acceptance 19JAN204.
Good fit for the curriculum, city, mission. I think my service experiences & LOR really sealed the deal here.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received a post II R? I've been in silence from them

Has anyone received a post II R? I've been in silence from them
have you tried reaching out to them? If they haven't responded since your interview in October that might mean they forgot to send something out to you, since most others have gotten responses within 1-2 months

have you tried reaching out to them? If they haven't responded since your interview in October that might mean they forgot to send something out to you, since most others have gotten responses within 1-2 months
I emailed them two weeks ago and was met with silence. Not upset but it is bizarre for everyone to get a response, including Holds/WLs, but be ghosted myself, especially when given clear "hear back" dates. Idk if anyone got a Post-II R yet but could be that.

I emailed them two weeks ago and was met with silence. Not upset but it is bizarre for everyone to get a response, including Holds/WLs, but be ghosted myself, especially when given clear "hear back" dates. Idk if anyone got a Post-II R yet but could be that.
You might want to try calling them at 305-243-3234 instead of emailing if they aren't responding, hope they reply to you soon!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hi friends! Got the OOS MD and MD/MPH A on Friday and couldn't be more excited! (Potentially very stupid) question for accepted students - the email said to sign a "Letter of Intent" within two weeks of acceptance to secure spot in the class. Is this actually a binding document? I'm assuming they aren't expecting a 100% certain commitment within 2 weeks... this is my first A but I definitely want to wait until I've heard back from a couple other schools before I respond. I emailed the admissions committee but haven't heard back. Thanks!

Hi friends! Got the OOS MD and MD/MPH A on Friday and couldn't be more excited! (Potentially very stupid) question for accepted students - the email said to sign a "Letter of Intent" within two weeks of acceptance to secure spot in the class. Is this actually a binding document? I'm assuming they aren't expecting a 100% certain commitment within 2 weeks... this is my first A but I definitely want to wait until I've heard back from a couple other schools before I respond. I emailed the admissions committee but haven't heard back. Thanks!
Not binding. You'll have to eventually have to put down a deposit at some point in the future closer to May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! When was your interview?

Did anyone who interviewed in December hear back yet?

Ahh congratulations!!! I'm in the same boat but I just got the email today! Was so panicked because they didn't call and I was initially waitlisted, so I thought it may be an error. Excited to turn in the form now that I know it's not binding, so thanks for checking before me :)

what is the vibe of the interview day?
Kinda disorganized. Prepare for quick fire questions. One interview that is traditional (why MD? why Miami? career goals? etc. typical questions). Other interview is more behavioral: what would you do in X situation? can you give me an example of a time you did X? I would recommend preparing 3-5 bullet points to hit for the traditional questions and keep your answers to 2 minutes tops. I talked too long I think, but it still worked out. One of my interviewers did NOT introduce themselves or give any non-verbal / verbal feedback for like the first 20 minutes (might have just woken up), but you gotta just roll with it and project positivity. It starts on East coast time so I was a half zombie (only Californian on my interview day). Prepare meals / snacks / more coffee in advance because there are a lot of breaks (day is too long tbh), but with only an hour and you in formal clothing it's hard to prepare a real meal. Emphasize your experience serving diverse and/or underserved populations.

is ii received today!!!!! complete early july

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! But come on UM show some 70> lm some love, haha

WL: Jan 19th WL notified; nov 17th interview date. didn't feel too hot about the interview so i get it

Last edited:
apologies if this has been answered before, but do we learn in advance when our specific interview slots will be? i received the generic itinerary but nothing else

A!!! Literally so in shock, did not think I was getting in here

Is there an accepted student gc or FB I cant find it

Hi, current M3 at Miller (MD/MPH).

1) I'm looking for a summer roommate (female only) so DM me if you're an M0 MD/MPH and want somewhere nice to live May-August before deciding on a more long-term Miami apartment.
2) Happy to answer questions for accepted applicants struggling to pick a school :) DM me, will respond when I can.

Note: I cannot answer questions about the application process/waitlists/etc because I don't know what it's like this year.
Hi! What apartment buildings/complexes do a lot of the med students live in? Is it true that most med students live in Brickell?

Hi! What apartment buildings/complexes do a lot of the med students live in? Is it true that most med students live in Brickell?
Brickell is very very expensive lol (like Manhattan prices). I live in Miami right now and if you go west, the rates become a lot more affordable

Hi! I would say that is no longer true that most students live in Brickell, due to the high rent prices. Living in Brickell is the most convenient for the hospital as it's about a 10 minute metro ride. Rent in Brickell is now typically: $4k+ for a 2b2b, $3k+ for a 1b1b, $2.5k+ for a studio.

A lot of my classmates and underclassmen have moved to Coral Gables and Coconut Grove to save money. Those areas are also along the commuter train, so they are convenient to get to the hospital (20 min ride) but tend to be a better deal. Edgewater and Wynwood are also popular and up-and-coming, but you would have to drive to the hospital. If I were an M1 starting now, I would get a roommate and live in Brickell or move to Coral Gables/Coconut Grove.

Re: general cost of living, outside of rent, it is possible to live more frugally
Thank you for the info! Is there a facebook group or other similar group where students find roommates who are also students?

Is there an actual portal for this school to check status? I haven’t seen anything since submitting my secondary in August? Or is it just that survey link. Thank you for any info!

Kinda disorganized. Prepare for quick fire questions. One interview that is traditional (why MD? why Miami? career goals? etc. typical questions). Other interview is more behavioral: what would you do in X situation? can you give me an example of a time you did X? I would recommend preparing 3-5 bullet points to hit for the traditional questions and keep your answers to 2 minutes tops. I talked too long I think, but it still worked out. One of my interviewers did NOT introduce themselves or give any non-verbal / verbal feedback for like the first 20 minutes (might have just woken up), but you gotta just roll with it and project positivity. It starts on East coast time so I was a half zombie (only Californian on my interview day). Prepare meals / snacks / more coffee in advance because there are a lot of breaks (day is too long tbh), but with only an hour and you in formal clothing it's hard to prepare a real meal. Emphasize your experience serving diverse and/or underserved populations.
I just received an II and it’s been so long since I heard from a school so I didnt expect to need to prep for any interviews anymore 😭 would you say the SDN questions were pretty representative?

I just received an II and it’s been so long since I heard from a school so I didnt expect to need to prep for any interviews anymore 😭 would you say the SDN questions were pretty representative?
Yes they’re pretty exact. I also got the healthcare question as well