2023-2024 Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ohh that makes sense, yeah because it says the grad application isn’t linked to the portal… but I haven’t received that email so it seems I will have to reach out Monday! Thank you for your help!
Check the II email you received, there are 4 documents attached and one of them has the link to the grad portal!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
No, my LORs and prerequisites are still marked incomplete. Do u think I should email the admissions office?

It probably doesn't hurt to email, but mine took more than 2 months to get checked.

Members don't see this ad :)
not sure if anyone else has seen this, but I noticed that my interview type is listed as "MD Northwest" on the portal. does that mean they're only considering me for the Gary campus? they haven't reached out and I don't remember indicating anything specific like that?

not sure if anyone else has seen this, but I noticed that my interview type is listed as "MD Northwest" on the portal. does that mean they're only considering me for the Gary campus? they haven't reached out and I don't remember indicating anything specific like that?
No, it just means that's where the faculty that is interviewing is located. Once you're accepted the portal updates and you can rank your preferences for every campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone who interviewed who didn't get an A yet get an email "At present, your application remains under consideration"? seems like people in last year's thread got that email

Last edited:
Did anyone who interviewed who didn't get an A yet get an email "At present, your application remains under consideration"? seems like people in last year's thread got that email
Interviewed same day and didn't receive it. But we got another week before, hopefully, we hear back! :)

This is an appeal to applicants who have taken Casper for admission to Indiana University SOM.

Complete the 2023 Situational Judgment Test Experience survey.

HPSA/SDN has the 2023 SJT Experience Survey available to anyone preparing for SJTs (especially Casper and PREview). If you completed the 2022 survey, you are welcome to go ahead and complete the survey again. This survey consists of multiple pages and will take up to 10 minutes. You can also place yourself on a waitlist for a study focusing more on school-run SJTs run through platforms like Kira Talent, to be released later in the year.

Your feedback matters!
We learned a lot about how applicants prepared for Casper and PREview last year, but the number of PREview schools has almost doubled this cycle! Over 20% of all AMCAS applicants will likely have taken PREview, and up to 90% of all medical school applicants will likely have taken Casper this cycle (according to Acuity Insights). This does not include applicants in non-medical professions who have had to take these assessments for admission to physician assistant, anesthesiology assistant, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, or physical therapy programs, where we see a trend that applicants with higher Casper results are preferred. Medical residency applicants are also being asked to complete Acuity Insights Assessments, and very little is known about how program directors use these data. Your responses are vital to get objective insights on how admissions committees value the results of these exams.

Your feedback matters!
We want to hear from as many people as possible, especially those attending or applying outside of medicine (MD/DO). This year saw an expansion of SJTs in admissions, and more information has been made available on preparing for these assessments. We want to stay current with these trends to guide future applicants and students facing these SJTs.

Many of our findings from the 2022 survey align with the NAAHP Testing Task Force report released last summer. This includes concerns about proctoring, consistency of scoring, and concern that applicants are paying for validity research. But we need more student voices to gain a louder voice to advocate for future health professional school applicants.

Your feedback has helped HPSA develop a workshop focused on preparing for SJTs like Casper and PREview. This workshop is part of our Becoming a Student Doctor preparation course, and we have already had some positive results among those who have participated in our mock interview workshops. An updated workshop will be presented at the UC Davis Prehealth Conference on October 14, and we welcome opportunities to present the full-length SJT workshop to your campus!

Fill out this survey and help future applicants become physicians in their chosen profession!

For those who got their A's already: does the application portal show admissions decision the same day you get your mail, or does it take longer to update?

Does anyone know when they send out campus placement assignments for those accepted RD? How competitive is placement at the Bloomington campus? I decided to rank Bloomington as #1 and Indianapolis as #2. The website said something about assignments coming out in May but that seems kinda late

Does anyone know when they send out campus placement assignments for those accepted RD? How competitive is placement at the Bloomington campus? I decided to rank Bloomington as #1 and Indianapolis as #2. The website said something about assignments coming out in May but that seems kinda late
Hey can you please answer my above question?

Members don't see this ad :)
RD find out around May/June.

Is anyone else still waiting for an interview invite or rejection despite having their application marked as "received" in late Sept (or even earlier)?

Does anybody have any insight on what the Gary campus is like? I'm from IL so it would be close to home if I got in (applied and interviewed for UMP by the way) but I've heard some conflicting opinions about the location.

For those who got their A's already: does the application portal show admissions decision the same day you get your mail, or does it take longer to update?
It depends on how long mail delivery to your place of residence takes. Typically, they mail them out on or around the 15th with the portal updating within a week of acceptances being mailed out. The portal update happens after acceptances are mailed, but if your mail is delayed for any reason, you might find out on the portal before you get the letter in the mail. Assuming there is no mail delay, you will get the letter prior to the portal update.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
It depends on how long mail delivery to your place of residence takes. Typically, they mail them out on or around the 15th with the portal updating within a week of acceptances being mailed out. The portal update happens after acceptances are mailed, but if your mail is delayed for any reason, you might find out on the portal before you get the letter in the mail. Assuming there is no mail delay, you will get the letter prior to the portal update.
Thank you for your detailed response!

RD find out in May with some exceptions. If you have a qualifying reason, you can put in a request to be put on a specific campus. I don't remember exactly what the qualifying reasons are, but usually its like medical care (needing to be at a certain campus because it's by a hospital that can provide some type of service you wouldn't be able to get at the other campus locations) or something family related. Once you're accepted you can reach out to the school for more details on that process.

The other exception for RD is certain scholarships. Some scholarship come with the opportunity to get your first-choice campus if you accept the scholarship offer. The release date for those scholarships are staggered, but initial scholarship offers are all given by March. So you find out by ~March at the latest if you fall into this category.

And Bloomington is typically the second more popular campus pick. A good number of individuals put Bloomington as 1st or 2nd. The number I have heard is that is ~50/50 chance of getting Bloomington. Ranking it #1 and turning in your rank list early are good ways to help with your odds :) Hope that helps

Any RD with an A that interviewed in mid-October? Heard it is typically 1.5 - 2 mons to get an A, post interview?

Has anyone else had to wait like more than 4 weeks for an interview date? I received an interview almost 2 months ago, submitted all docs late September. Im still waiting to hear back with an interview date, I called like 3 weeks ago and they said it takes a while since they have to process the docs, but seems like forever idk

Has anyone else had to wait like more than 4 weeks for an interview date? I received an interview almost 2 months ago, submitted all docs late September. Im still waiting to hear back with an interview date, I called like 3 weeks ago and they said it takes a while since they have to process the docs, but seems like forever idk
it’s been almost 6 weeks for me and still nothing

I'm not entirely sure. Im ED and ranked my campus #1 as Bloomington and received confirmation I was placed there already. Not sure if you have they send them out as people get accepted with RD. Hopefully I'll see you there!

Does anyone know if Indiana gives NBME exams
Exams are roughly every 2-3 weeks and lecture based (not NBME). And the final exam for each is course is NBME, which you have to pass in order to pass the class. I don’t know anyone who has only used third party sources so I’m not sure how well anyone could fair theoretically without at least looking at the IU lectures.

• Love
Exams are roughly every 2-3 weeks and lecture based (not NBME). And the final exam for each is course is NBME, which you have to pass in order to pass the class. I don’t know anyone who has only used third party sources so I’m not sure how well anyone could fair theoretically without at least looking at the IU lectures.
Thank you so much, this is really helpful to know!

I saw in previous years after your interview, you'll get an email saying something like "Your application is now under consideration and ready to go before the Admissions Committee". Anyone know if they are still doing that still year? Interviewed 11/8 and haven't heard any confirmation yet.

I saw in previous years after your interview, you'll get an email saying something like "Your application is now under consideration and ready to go before the Admissions Committee". Anyone know if they are still doing that still year? Interviewed 11/8 and haven't heard any confirmation yet.
They did that for me I think 3 weeks after my interview. They'll prolly do it for you too around the same time, so take some emotional rest haha

If you don't mind me asking, what third party resources seem to be common amongst you and your classmates that synergize with the IU curriculum well for their exams? Thanks!

Anybody check their snailmail and see anything with something along the lines of "a package with no picture is in your mail"?

Didn't have any "a package with no picture" in my informed delivery today. In fact, I had no mail at all today😔

If you don't mind me asking, what third party resources seem to be common amongst you and your classmates that synergize with the IU curriculum well for their exams? Thanks!
As you will all learn next year, the way you study for each course will be different. IU provides access to survey results from past students on what 3rd party resources worked for students in each of the M1 classes. The M2s will provide a page of study advice for M1s. And on top of that there are tutors (M2/M3) on every campus that can share what was common for their class the previous year.

But to directly answer your question - Anatomy Bootcamp (for anatomy obvi), Pixorize/Sketchy (immunology) and Boards & Beyond (everything else) are the most recommended. Lastly, I would say the majority of students (~70%) use Anki in some capacity but there are some students who don't use it at all. Overall, IU is pretty collaborative, and students share a lot of resources, anki decks, quizlets, outside resources, etc

Me neither. Saw on last year's post some students had it I believe by this day, so I assumed it would be the same this year
I think we'll hear more tomorrow or friday when the mail starts arriving at people's houses, only people who live really close to indy i believe could even have the chance of it delivering the same day.

• Love
Don’t have the “No image” mail in informed delivery 😞 does anyone else?

Last edited:
I think we'll hear more tomorrow or friday when the mail starts arriving at people's houses, only people who live really close to indy i believe could even have the chance of it delivering the same day.

Nothing for me either. IS but don’t currently live close to Indiana