2023-2024 Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the response" If my child was on the wait list, I couldn't get them off" is to emphasize the fairness of admissions. Applicants applying to Einstein are reviewed accordingly and the ADCOM selects based on potential fit/merit and not favoritism. Even her power could not control the out of the cycle for her own child.
Yeah I think it's not only saying that waitlist movement might be tight but that they have no control over who gets admitted from the WL

All in all, for those of us on the WL I think it's just healthiest to wait for May to come around (which is going to be a slow few weeks) and see what happens then. No reason to be stressed now when there's no reason to...

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Just received an email that Einstein is in rolling admission status and I was put on the waitlist/rolling admissions. If I understand correctly there’s a high priority waitlist and regular waitlist? Does that mean my chances are even lower?

Just received an email that Einstein is in rolling admission status and I was put on the waitlist/rolling admissions. If I understand correctly there’s a high priority waitlist and regular waitlist? Does that mean my chances are even lower?

That’s the HPWL waitlist email

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations! when did you interview?

Einstein does not have a waitlist ranking, if a school does ranking, they usually tell you very specifically. THERE IS ONLY ONE WAITLIST! You can even look it up on AAMC, they list the type of waitlist for each school. The Rolling Admission just means the school has entered in rolling admission status after Feb 1. That’s why everyone WL after Feb 1 gets the “rolling admission” email.

Einstein does not have a waitlist ranking, if a school does ranking, they usually tell you very specifically. THERE IS ONLY ONE WAITLIST! You can even look it up on AAMC, they list the type of waitlist for each school. The Rolling Admission just means the school has entered in rolling admission status after Feb 1. That’s why everyone WL after Feb 1 gets the “rolling admission” email.

I'm not sure you are correct here. People seem very sure there is a HPWL at Einstein and MSAR notoriously has incorrect or incomplete information. For example, MSAR says Duke calls people on waitlist and I never received a call.

As for your statement that there is only one waitlist at medical schools, this also does not seem to be universally true. Several people say they have confirmed with admissions that Stony Brook has both a regular and HPWL. Similarly, Hofstra explicitly has a WL and a second tier WL (I know this for a fact as I am on the latter at Hofstra).

So unless you have information specifically from Einstein and specifically from this year, I'm not sure I would go by what MSAR says.

To be clear, I'm not saying you are wrong. But your post speaks with a tone of authority that I am not sure is warranted without more support/evidence.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Nothing in the email I received indicated HPWL but many people in this thread mentioned they were placed on the HPWL so I just wanted to clarify

Nothing in the email I received indicated HPWL but many people in this thread mentioned they were placed on the HPWL so I just wanted to clarify
Same here. Received same email this morning from a late March interview.

Anyone receive any emails/updates about their financial aid letter? Trying to see if Einstein is offering stipends/need-based scholarships in addition to the tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering the same thing!!!
I think the question is will they still give need based grants or scholarships above the tuition which is free for everyone--up to full cost of attendance in theory. I don't think anyone questions whether federal loans will be available to cover the remaining costs of attendance for those who need or want them. (I haven't heard that probationary accreditation status impacts the ability to get federal loans but if others have heard so please let us know!).

The Gottesman donation is designated solely for covering tuition and fees, and will not be used for living expenses. However, accepted students completed a financial aid questionnaire, which probably allows the school to identify those eligible for need-based funds beyond federal loans. It's maybe possible that funds previously allocated for tuition could be redirected to assist some students with their living expenses. No one really knows until the packages come in.

Update: I emailed the assistant dean office of student finance and he said institutional aid is not available to cover living expenses and that the financial aid packages will only be in Federal loans

• Hmm
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
Update: I emailed the assistant dean office of student finance and he said institutional aid is not available to cover living expenses and that the financial aid packages will only be in Federal loans
This is so interesting to me as it seems to be in tension with their mission. The expenses for med school outside of tuition are quite significant—often 30-40 percent of total COA. Many other schools offer aid up to full cost of attendance. Not sure how this addresses their expressed desire to increase diversity in medicine (especially diversity of socioeconomic backgrounds) and make medical school accessible for all. Seems they are just as likely to fill their class with rich kids who don't need the free tuition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I just need them to send financial aid packages, most of the schools have sent them already. I just need to know, I don't know why is taking this long. Absolutely agree, I hope they give something for living expenses, but we will see

Anyone decide to withdraw?
I have decided to withdraw - still had lingering concerns about their admin and organization. Also, as others have mentioned - was confused about their FA situation. I was going to have to take significant loans even with no tuition so decided to go to the school I really liked.

• Care
Just withdrew my A! Hope that free tuition can go to one of you

• Care
Anyone decide to withdraw?
ye
Planning to withdraw my A soon!
me as well
I have decided to withdraw - still had lingering concerns about their admin and organization. Also, as others have mentioned - was confused about their FA situation. I was going to have to take significant loans even with no tuition so decided to go to the school I really liked.
yeah couldn't believe how much i was having to take out in loans despite no tuition

• Care
does anyone have experience requesting a budget adjustment/increase for federal loans at einstein? I recently found out that you are only eligible to recieve a loan based on the estimated cost of living (23k) that the school calculates rather than the maximum amount for a direct federal loan (42k). As the estimated cost of living seems very low/underestimated to me, is there a way to request an increase for those who do not have parental support/streams of income?

wait, you guys received the financial aid package already? when did they sent it

how do you already know how much loans would you need to take? did they sent the FA package already?
No I havenet :/ this is from what I have read online about loans and estimated cost of attendance, sorry for the confusion! This question was more targeted to current students!

does anyone have experience requesting a budget adjustment/increase for federal loans at einstein? I recently found out that you are only eligible to recieve a loan based on the estimated cost of living (23k) that the school calculates rather than the maximum amount for a direct federal loan (42k). As the estimated cost of living seems very low/underestimated to me, is there a way to request an increase for those who do not have parental support/streams of income?

The COL is actually pretty low from what I heard (comparably). Went on the tour and the subsidized housing is as low as $530 per month (for a triple). And you are also not responsible for rent when you are not living there (even if you leave your stuff there).

how do you already know how much loans would you need to take? did they sent the FA package already?
I just looked at their COA and subtracted tuition. Cost without tuition is about 40k per year so over the course of 4 years, I’d be taking out about 160k in loans.

The COL is actually pretty low from what I heard (comparably). Went on the tour and the subsidized housing is as low as $530 per month (for a triple). And you are also not responsible for rent when you are not living there (even if you leave your stuff there).
Yes it seems pretty low! My concern is it an accurate estimation or have students felt like they've needed more funding for cost of living thats not accounted for the school's calculation

Yes, that's exactly what my tour guy told me. I think we will have more clarity once they release the FA packages, just hope they do it soon.

So if we don’t live there M1 summer we’re not responsible for the rent? I thought it was a year long lease

So if we don’t live there M1 summer we’re not responsible for the rent? I thought it was a year long lease
The tour guide said the lease is month-to-month, so you would not be responsible for summer rent!

Also just fyi, i believe the Gottesman gift covers tuition+fees. so your total (if you include their health insurance) should be around $140k

Can we bring any color scrubs there or there will be specific scrubs we shall have to buy there with Einstein’s logo and a specific color? I know the alumni association has donated scrubs in the past but that is only one set.

Just withdrew, hope the free tuition goes to one of you:)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
No I havenet :/ this is from what I have read online about loans and estimated cost of attendance, sorry for the confusion! This question was more targeted to current students!
I live off campus and appealed for more - they have an appeal application process and you document additional expenses, meet with them, and adjustments are made. It's not going to be to 42k in all likelihood, but they work with you. They also have side funds for emergency grants if you get in a spot (they gave me one last fall for a new computer) and I don't have to pay that back.

Yes, that's exactly what my tour guy told me. I think we will have more clarity once they release the FA packages, just hope they do it soon.
Your tour guide was mistaken. Unless you vacate your apartment and terminate your lease you are responsible for paying rent every month. If you remember your tour guide's name, I'd suggest you email them at [firstname].[lastname]@einsteinmed.edu and let them know, otherwise they'll be delayed in receiving their diploma until they pay back rent.

The tour guide said the lease is month-to-month, so you would not be responsible for summer rent!
They switched to a month to month lease simply because it made things easier by eliminating the need for everyone to sign a new lease at the end of the year, makes changes to rent more flexible, and makes it easier to coordinate students moving out of housing. It also makes it easier to force you out of housing after graduation.

You still have to pay your rent unless you tell housing you're terminating your lease and move your stuff out. You would then have to reapply for housing to move back in.

Can we bring any color scrubs there or there will be specific scrubs we shall have to buy there with Einstein’s logo and a specific color? I know the alumni association has donated scrubs in the past but that is only one set.
Buy whatever you want. Get a few sets to last you until your surgery or OB rotation then ask the residents how to get extra sets out of the scrub machine for free (you only get two credits).

Does clinical grading here have a limit on the number of honors they give?

Does clinical grading here have a limit on the number of honors they give?

Some clerkships try to present themselves as having a limit, but based on the graphs from my MSPE 90% of people get high pass or honors, with a roughly distribution between the two.

To those on the WL I just went through past threads and it looks like in previous years they send emails asking if students were "still interested" in Einstein. I don't think that's happened this cycle looking through this thread.

Historically, WL movements started on May 9th and 10th in 2022 and 2023, respectively. So it looks like we should (hopefully) expect a response starting in two weeks about WL movement. Keeping my fingers crossed that there's some movement in this thread around then!!