2023-2024 Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the average turnaround rate after an interview? I interviewed after February 1st.

Members don't see this ad.

Also received post-II R with an offer of an enhancement program for guaranteed admission next year! Good luck everyone else awaiting a decision and congrats to all acceptances!!
I never got that and got a post-II R.

Members don't see this ad :)
are any current students able to speak on in general how practical/feasible it would be to live anywhere but student housing and where others live if not for there?

Reactions: 1 user
are any current students able to speak on in general how practical/feasible it would be to live anywhere but student housing and where others live if not for there?
Student housing is definitely the most convenient (free transport to all clinical sites from Einstein, cheap rent, etc.), but there are about ~10 M1s who make the commute work. Most of them live in the Upper East Side and have cars, but some also manage to take the express bus (BXM10), which drops you off right at Einstein. It can be very slow during peak traffic hours, though.

It's doable if you live close to transit in Manhattan. There's a shuttle from campus to the East 180th 2/5 stop during certain times of day. Otherwise it's a roughly 20-30 minute walk to the nearest stations. The BxM10 stops directly in front of the Belfer building and runs down 5th (but only runs every 30-60 minutes depending on time and day, which can be annoying).

Clinical years you'd usually be hoping you get placed at the Moses campus for most of your rotations because there's a D stop an 8 minute walk away and a 4 train stop even closer. Getting to/from Weiler or Jacobi can be a pain if you're relying on transit and adds a lot of annoyance to the day.

Most people tend to be on the UES because it's the best option for getting to both Moses and Einstein but the commute to Moses is typically easier than to Weiler/Einstien/Jacobi. And then you just hope you don't get placed at LIJ or New Rochelle for medicine or Four Winds for psych, or Weiler for OB because they're running 3 shifts of med students a day to accomodate everyone on L&D so being on the overnight after the 180th st shuttle stops running is a hassle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize in advance if this has been answered already in this thread, but is the interview open-file or closed-file?

Open file here. He clearly read my application in location. Can’t say one way or another if he knew my GPA/MCAT.

I wouldn't. Once the April 30th choose to enroll deadline passes they can see if you have another acceptance (though not where).

From the mentors I've spoken to, trying to leverage another acceptance is not seen as favorable. Emphasize the fit for Einstein and convince them you want to go there. Won't gain anything emphasizing you can go elsewhere if they don't take you. Just my perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
Should people on the waitlist fill it out too? Or is it only expected for accepted students?

Has anyone tried to have a school match einsteins tuition and been successful should I even bother?

Has anyone tried to have a school match einsteins tuition and been successful should I even bother?
You should ALWAYS go for it. The worst they could say is no.

Disclaimer: It did not work in my case though

I interviewed in early March and have not heard anything yet. Is it safe to assume Einstein will be an R?

I interviewed in early March and have not heard anything yet. Is it safe to assume Einstein will be an R?
Late March interviewee here and still haven’t heard either. As I’ve said many times above, I seriously doubt any A’s will be given out post the free tuition news. However, if late interviewers like us still have not heard as of May 1, then I am open to possibility that a small number of new A’s could be handed out depending on the number that commit to enroll. The thought being, since we are basically two weeks away from 5/1, they may be waiting so as to see if they can offer some A’s to top students they would have loved to admit but for the unplanned for but now expected huge jump in yield.

However, until then, I’m expecting best we can hope for is WL.

Best of luck!!

Late March interviewee here and still haven’t heard either. As I’ve said many times above, I seriously doubt any A’s will be given out post the free tuition news. However, if late interviewers like us still have not heard as of May 1, then I am open to possibility that a small number of new A’s could be handed out depending on the number that commit to enroll. The thought being, since we are basically two weeks away from 5/1, they may be waiting so as to see if they can offer some A’s to top students they would have loved to admit but for the unplanned for but now expected huge jump in yield.

Best of luck!!
Historically all interviews following February 1st have only been for the waitlist. In last year's thread there were people who interviewed early March and didn't hear back until Mid to late April so some interview responses take more than others.

As for the waitlist, there has been movement in the past and I'm pretty hopeful that there will at least be some movement (though probably less than in the past). I don't think anyone can really predict what's going to happen but I don't think that Einstein would add onto the WL following the news unless they thought there was even the slightest chance of WL movement. They already had a WL full of people from after Feb 1st and before the start of new interviews so they could've just as easily sent Rs right after March and April interviews were completed and pulled from the previously added onto WL. Again no one can predict what's going to happen and it doesn't hurt to have some hope!

Best of luck!!
I think it depends when you interviewed. If you received an II late in the cycle I'd have to believe they were aware of the donation at least a month in advance. So if you received an II sometime in Feb/March they likely already knew about the free tuition and still offered more II knowing that their yield would be much higher. The higher yield was definitely baked into the equation before your interview.

Has anyone requested deferral? If so, how did you approach drafting your request?

Has anyone requested deferral? If so, how did you approach drafting your request?
You need a good reason. The conventional wisdom is that you'd rather lose your seat than go to med school, but there are extenuating circumstances and back door routes to everything if you are willing to look for the opportunity. The question here is not what your reason is, but who you know. Otherwise your seat will probably be gone forever. The market is way too competitive these days.

Full disclosure: I had to defer and I am close to someone on my med school's ADCOM. I let him know far in advance about my family's plans. He agreed with me. This is not cheating.

You need a good reason. The conventional wisdom is that you'd rather lose your seat than go to med school, but there are extenuating circumstances and back door routes to everything if you are willing to look for the opportunity. The question here is not what your reason is, but who you know. Otherwise your seat will probably be gone forever. The market is way too competitive these days.

Full disclosure: I had to defer and I am close to someone on my med school's ADCOM. I let him know far in advance about my family's plans. He agreed with me. This is not cheating.
I think in this case einstein is gladly going to welcome deferrals even if it’s not the strongest case to prevent overenrollment. During a previous meeting with admissions dean she basically said they would accept deferrals if anyones interested

Reactions: 1 users
I think in this case einstein is gladly going to welcome deferrals even if it’s not the strongest case to prevent overenrollment. During a previous meeting with admissions dean she basically said they would accept deferrals if anyones interested
I think that a lot of people are interested. Thus the reason for this thread, ya know.

Has there ever been an occurrence where at least 30-40% of a class was accounted for due to deferring for one year? How would that affect the schools overall-acceptance rate as it is updated yearly? I think it may plummet resulting in a far more exclusive student admissions.

Has there ever been an occurrence where at least 30-40% of a class was accounted for due to deferring for one year? How would that affect the schools overall-acceptance rate as it is updated yearly? I think it may plummet resulting in a far more exclusive student admissions.
Deferring is rare. I believe the anecdotal stats are something like 1-2% of each class. What that means is that 1-2 people in every accepted school group defer yearly; sometimes none. There is no need to worry about a class mutiny. With that same logic, perhaps ALL accepted students will defer this current cycle and there will be no class of 2028. LOL

I think it depends when you interviewed. If you received an II late in the cycle I'd have to believe they were aware of the donation at least a month in advance. So if you received an II sometime in Feb/March they likely already knew about the free tuition and still offered more II knowing that their yield would be much higher. The higher yield was definitely baked into the equation before your interview.
During my tour with an M1, they said that admissions weren't aware of the donation when they made their initial wave of acceptances in early Feb. He suggested that we might have a larger class because of unexpected higher yield.

Deferring is rare. I believe the anecdotal stats are something like 1-2% of each class. What that means is that 1-2 people in every accepted school group defer yearly; sometimes none. There is no need to worry about a class mutiny. With that same logic, perhaps ALL accepted students will defer this current cycle and there will be no class of 2028. LOL
Haha! Imagine. At this point, anything is possible. The best we can do is sit and watch these events unfold.

• Hmm
During my tour with an M1, they said that admissions weren't aware of the donation when they made their initial wave of acceptances in early Feb. He suggested that we might have a larger class because of unexpected higher yield.

A larger class to accommodate. How does this affect, the overall attention the institution and can place on their students. We know every Medical School has a class cap for reason. This allows each student opportunity to maximize their education. Then again, I must wonder how much larger would the class actually be ? I know it wouldn't be an extra 30 people. Maybe..... an extra 10-12? That sounds reasonable.

I don’t think the class size is going to be a major issue. I know plenty of people choosing to go to a T20 school over Einstein. Don’t know if they will dip into the waitlist at all this cycle though

Reactions: 2 users
So doing a bit of quick math last year they accepted 326 students and I believe someone mentioned that close to 75 people were moved off of the WL. In that case they accept around 250 students in total during the first round of acceptances on February 1st. For a class of 186 students that makes a yield of around 56% last year. If we assume that yield skyrockets to even 80% that means that 200 students are considering committing to Einstein this cycle. So they would have an extra 14 students compared to last year. I think someone mentioned earlier that they are giving options to defer acceptances to the following year if accepted this cycle because of the additional student acceptances. So if 5 people choose to defer that means more than 9 people would have to choose to enroll elsewhere for any movement in the waitlist. That's pretty narrow and these numbers are all hypothetical but there's still a slim chance of WL movement.

This also isn't considering how accepted students at Einstein may be on WLs to schools that they would rather attend and choose to go there instead. There are so many variables involved that we can't really be sure. My interview was after the news about free tuition came out and the med students said that nobody can predict what's going to happen, including the school. But they said that there is bound to be some level of movement for what it's worth. Also I feel like financial aid offices have been pretty slow this cycle because of FAFSA so opportunities to negotiate about aid have also pushed people to hold onto their acceptances at Einstein over other schools (at least that's been the case with a few friends of mine).

my friend (24-25 applicant) attended an einstein info session today and dean kerrigan said "even if my child was on the waitlist i couldn't get them off" so not sure what waitlist movement will look like but tbh i dont think they even know themselves until apr30

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
my friend (24-25 applicant) attended an einstein info session today and dean kerrigan said "even if my child was on the waitlist i couldn't get them off" so not sure what waitlist movement will look like but tbh i dont think they even know themselves until apr30
what question was asked to get this response?

I think the response" If my child was on the wait list, I couldn't get them off" is to emphasize the fairness of admissions. Applicants applying to Einstein are reviewed accordingly and the ADCOM selects based on potential fit/merit and not favoritism. Even her power could not control the outcome of the cycle for her own child.

Last edited: