2023-2024 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS II at 1am this morning lmao, complete 7/13

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
OOS II LM 75!! Submitted 7/6. Got it just right now

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
OOS II earlier today!

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Double digit IIs gonna turn into double digit As by March 🐐🐐🐐
Haha you're too kind. I always feel torn on how I do on the interviews, but I'll guess we'll see 🥲. I appreciate the vote of confidence :)

Reactions: 2 users
Duke is my absolute dream school and I have been looking at the format of questions asked in an MMI interview. Some of the questions posted online are complex, like "Is it ethical for doctors to strike? If so, under what conditions?" which could take some time to think through. Is this the usual case in the MMI interviews?

Reactions: 1 users
How was it? Was there an open file portion? I am confused on their statement of 2 "traditional interviews" mixed in to all the ethical/video parts.

It’s ten 10 minute stations and 2 of them are regular one-on-one traditional interviews (non-MMI but still only 10 minutes long)

Members don't see this ad :)
Completed my interview last week and just got the PCLT II!

Duke is my absolute dream school and I have been looking at the format of questions asked in an MMI interview. Some of the questions posted online are complex, like "Is it ethical for doctors to strike? If so, under what conditions?" which could take some time to think through. Is this the usual case in the MMI interviews?
I compiled MMI examples in Becoming a Student Doctor as well as some background situations that could have helped with this question. There is no correct answer, but there are some ways to address the prompt.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS II, complete 7/7. Is anyone else having an issue signing up for a slot?

OOS II ~1 hour ago, complete 7/20. Interview options were for the week of 10/16

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
OOS II ~1 hour ago, complete 7/20. Interview options were for the week of 10/16
Congrats! Your post makes me feel a lot better knowing there are probably many more interviews Duke has to offer

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone else having difficulty finding where to upload the photo and sign the attestations? Does that open 2 days before the interview or are we supposed to do those at least 2 days from the interview?

For those of you who interviewed already, what is the structure of the ethical portion of the MMI? Like are we allowed to ask the interviewer follow up questions in response to the prompt, or do we just talk for 8 minutes based off what we read?

For those of you who interviewed already, what is the structure of the ethical portion of the MMI? Like are we allowed to ask the interviewer follow up questions in response to the prompt, or do we just talk for 8 minutes based off what we read?
Following. I'd also like to hear a little more about its general format. 8 minutes seems like a LOOOONG time if we're supposed to monologue

Edited: I can't spell :D

Honestly bro I don't think we're allowed to give out more info about the process (I know sometimes people still do but...). They will give you a good run through before hand. I would say not to worry too much about this particular matter because the time really does go fast for each station.

Honestly bro I don't think we're allowed to give out more info about the process (I know sometimes people still do but...). They will give you a good run through before hand. I would say not to worry too much about this particular matter because the time really does go fast for each station.
Totally understood, I'm just neurotic sorry! also not a bro LOL but that's beside the point

OOS II received!! Happy about this one. Complete 7/6

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Interview options were October 30-Nov 1 and I sent an update letter with a short statement of interest yesterday morning (for transparency).

Reactions: 4 users
Okay so my update was pretty low-impact tbh. I included a new research project I am on, a new legal case I took on for a volunteer position I am in, and my LSAT score that came out (interested in their MD/JD). No new pubs or anything.

Here is the deal. I will be honest (at risk of doxxing myself). I went to a conference last week and met a Duke faculty who does research in a niche topic (same topic I started that new project in) and we hit it off. He sent the admissions deans a note yesterday saying some nice things about me. I timed my update to hit simultaneously and mentioned the new research as one of the reasons why I want to come to Duke and work with him specifically.

Again just wanna be transparent with yall. Not sure how much help any updates letters from others will do if they are a bit weaker like mine was (i.e. not new pubs or awards or something which is what I have heard really matters in update letters to swing the coins your way). I had lots of added context to mine so keep that in mind before sending them something. Not saying don't send an update if its non-pub/award stuff, but something to consider. I just don't want to inspire a massive wave of update letters that, in most situations, will just be extra work for yourselves and might not even get read! I got extremely lucky, and I want to be clear that I think the email was the contributing factor and probably NOT my update. But who knows

Hope that helps!

DukeMed folks, if you're reading this I'm very excited to interview on Halloween!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 19 users
I have a typo in my update letter!! instead of "am" I wrote "and" what do I do?? Send another one that says "corrected update letter" or hope they read over it. Crying :( I know this is so minor but Duke is my dream school and I hope they don't think I'm incompetent

• Care
I have a typo in my update letter!! instead of "am" I wrote "and" what do I do?? Send another one that says "corrected update letter" or hope they read over it. Crying :(
what do I do??
Stop crying @parmesan, chances are they will skim over the update like you did when proofreading.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I sent an update letter. It was three pages of “please please please” with a picture of me crying. Hope it works!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
I sent an update letter. It was three pages of “please please please” with a picture of me crying. Hope it works!
cant wait for them to send me an email with a wiki how on writing in English lol

• Haha
duke is my top choice and i was toying with the idea of sending an interest letter, and specifically talk about their MD/MALS degree and research year. i don't really have any significant updates and i also used the additional essay on the secondary as a why duke essay, so i'm worried the LOI will sound repetitive. anyone have any advice? should i just wait it out? feeling discouraged want an II from here so badly :(

duke is my top choice and i was toying with the idea of sending an interest letter, and specifically talk about their MD/MALS degree and research year. i don't really have any significant updates and i also used the additional essay on the secondary as a why duke essay, so i'm worried the LOI will sound repetitive. anyone have any advice? should i just wait it out? feeling discouraged want an II from here so badly :(
I wouldn't send the letter as you're describing it. Also keep in mind they're scheduling only out the next two weeks. Plenty of time left!!

FR, man is going 20/20 on T20 Invites
I said months ago that he was collecting them like infinity stones, bro probably can fill 3 gauntlets now

• Haha
Every head must bow, every tongue must confess..this is the greatest of all time.
All of you guys on SDN are completely cracked. Like it's an honor to interview at the same places as some of y'all.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users