2022-2023 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II, complete 7/22, URM OOS, LM 83

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete 07/30 and havent received an II, should I be worried?

Does under review mean anything here, or does it say that for everyone after you submit?

Does under review mean anything here, or does it say that for everyone after you submit?
Did you get an email saying that? I just received one that says my application is complete

Yes, referring to portal status.
Oh, thanks for letting me know! It just turned into under review now. It wasn't a few days ago. Hopefully good news soon and good luck to you too!

Reactions: 1 user
I have been complete for a while, so idk have the been giving out Pre-II R.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Keck review apps in chronological order?

Jeez that is so late!! How far out do they interview? Assuming that hearing nothing thus far is a soft R?
I wouldn’t take anything as a soft R but I’m also not sure about how far out they interview

Never posted on here but OOS II received on 8/9 and complete 7/23.

Reactions: 1 users
II just now! IS, LM 74, complete 7/15

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Keck interviews are blind. One with a student and one with faculty.
All of their questions are fairly soft-ball questions imo.
Anything that would be the first thing you review while prepping for an interview basically.
Thank you for the details!

Great interview experience today! Dean arias is a real BALLER 😂😂 manifesting the A to this school. I was also surprised to see only 10 people interviewing today! Definitely a small group

Congrats! Did they say when you might hear a decision by?

Thanks! First day they can come out with decisions per AAMC is October 17th! Dean Arias made it seem like she will be doing acceptance calls that day, if all goes well! :)

• Love
Keck interviews are blind. One with a student and one with faculty.
All of their questions are fairly soft-ball questions imo.
Anything that would be the first thing you review while prepping for an interview basically.

Second this lol

Everyone seems really nice and genuine and it didn’t feel like they’re out to get you.

Any pre II rejections yet, i guess im waiting on one. Its been more than 2 months.

Hey everyone! Congrats on getting to this point in your academic career. I'm a current MS1 at Keck and I'm open to answering any questions about the school, or any questions about interviews!

Reactions: 2 users
hi! i am so so excited about usc its my top choice. do you have any recs for the interview? also from the outside it seems like theres a dual focus on research and social justice, do you feel like that works well/you have all the research you want but also get to do advocacy and outreach? how often do yall have tests and does it seem pretty managable (as managable as you can be)? do you feel 1, prepared to choose a specialty (faculty are easy to shadow, lots of clinical exposure), and 2, confident about usc helping you match? (idk if that one is really on the school tho) and lastly, do you have any knowledge of financial aid? it seems really limited and so do most people go 400k into debt? sorry LOL i legit want to go to usc so bad i have MANY questions, this is barely half hahaha. also do you think its reasonable for someone to be able to surf at keck every couple of weeks or are you too slammed with work?
I hope this answers everything!

1. I know that everyone says this, but for the interview just be youself! The interview at USC it literally just about getting ~vibes~ from you and ensuring that you can answer the interview questions. Interviewers have not seen any part of your application, so dont be afraid to really delve into your experiences and story tell! Also try to emphasize the impact the experiences had on you and any learning/growth that you got from the experience. During my interview I actually enjoyed being able to talk about my experiences beyond what I had in my application, and ther interviewers seemed to really engage and ask questions about the things I did.
2. It honestly is a little overwhelming (in a good way) with just how much social advocacy/outreach and research oppurtunties there are. There is a required "service learning" as part of the HJSC curriculum where you are paired with an organization and have to attain a small amount of volunteer hours (but has been very doable and actually very enjoyable as it helps distract from academics). There are also several clubs and organizations that are always having events for outreach within the community surrounding the school. Since starting school this year, I feel like currently (for us first years) the primary focus is social justice/advocacy and not so much the research right now. I know there is greater emphasis on research starting the second year and beyond. But even then there are already a lot of reseach oppurtunities to get involved with, even during your first year if you want.
3. We do have test pretty often now with the 1.5 yr didactic curriculum, but the time in between tests vary based upon what block you are in. I think so far our tests have been about every 4-5 weeks. The tests are pretty hard (I mean it is medical school), but I dont feel completely unprepared when it is time to take them.
4. I cant really comment on if I feel prepared to choose a speciality yet (as I have been in school for a little over 2 months now). There are so many shadowing oppurtunities, and our student interest groups (clubs) do a really great job at setting up shadowing oppurtunities within different specialities. So far all of the faculty have been very approachable when it comes to looking for shadowing oppurtunities, and make it appear as though they actually enjoy you being there. We also have required clinic days every other week where we get to go into the hospital and talk with real patients as we are learning how to do differerent clinical skills. As far as matching, I feel like the possibilities are endless, and I feel as though I am not limited in what I will be able to do. USC itself already has so many different residency programs, you can match into anything you want. Lots of USC grads tend to stay at USC for residency programs (because why would you leave, its USC).
5. As far as financial aid goes, yea its not the best. USC is one of the more pricey schools and most people (that dont have the means to just pay 100,000 out of pocket every year :rolleyes:) end up with the 400k debt. Some people have been able to save money by living at home. But otherwise you get really good at budgeting. Our financial aid advisor is wonderful and is always sending us information on scholarship oppurtunities that we qualify for as medical students (as it can be hard to find scholarships that are not just for undergrads).
6. Even though it seems busy, everyone has been able to make time to do whatever activity they want to do: tennis, basketball, volleyball, badmitton, hiking, surfing. There is definitely at least 1 (if not more) people at the school that have a similar interest/hobby. Some groups do things weekly, but others tend to it as our schedule allows us, which is 1-2x in a 3-4 week period.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! Congrats on getting to this point in your academic career. I'm a current MS1 at Keck and I'm open to answering any questions about the school, or any questions about interviews!
Hello! Thank you so much for doing this! In your opinion/experience, how bad is it if we haven't received an II if I completed my secondary in early August? I'm bummed out.

Hey!! I interviewed in sept and am awaiting my decision this monday. i was curious to know where most students live? i know rent can be pricey so i wanted to know your experience so far

Hello! Thank you so much for doing this! In your opinion/experience, how bad is it if we haven't received an II if I completed my secondary in early August? I'm bummed out.
Im going to be honest and say that I am not 100% on the admission processes as far as how they select for interviews. I wouldnt count yourself out until you get the R.

Hey!! I interviewed in sept and am awaiting my decision this monday. i was curious to know where most students live? i know rent can be pricey so i wanted to know your experience so far
A lot of students live in the "on campus" housing or elsewhere in LA county. I found that the on campus housing was kind of pricey, but you do get the convenience of living on campus and not having to commute to school. There isnt one particular off campus location that people tend to migrate to, we literally live all over. Some people live in different areas within the city of LA, others live in the san gabriel valley, and everywhere in between. Personally finding housing was kind of a difficult process becuase like you said LA is very expensive and I wasnt as familiar with some of the areas that the school recommended. I was able to find something a little farther from campus, but it was still nice and within my price range. The commute can suck becuase of how terrible traffic is in LA, but I know that pretty much everyone else that lives off campus is going throughit too. If you can go scouting in person through the areas that you may be interested in that should be helpful to give you an idea of what kind of apartment you can get in your proce range, distant/commute from the school, and just the general vibes of the area. Most everyone that I go to school has at least 1 roomate (if not more), or they are living at home with family.

Is it this monday? I thought the Dean said the 15th