2022-2023 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question for anyone who interviewed here. In the luncheon where they discussed financial aid, did they look at your fafsa specifically? I know it said to have your form submitted ten days before the interview. I am wondering how the financial aid process works here given how much more expensive it is compare to other DO programs in the state.

Has anyone received a rejection after submitting their secondary?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The interview has no traditional questions right? That’s what it means by “situational interview”

The interview has no traditional questions right? That’s what it means by “situational interview”
Yup exactly. It was MMI structured! Scenarios given vary and there is a written portion and group activity as well. Be prepared to not know the order in which you'll do these until the day of!

Has anyone who was a 10/14 interview get a prematch offer/heard back yet?

Has anyone who was a 10/14 interview get a prematch offer/heard back yet?
I’m curious if we will get another round of prematches soon or if admissions will wait for match day.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did y’all write thank you letters for your interviewers
Yes! During a zoom workshop that they had over the summer they mentioned that they like receiving thank you letters. Make sure to send it to adcoms and mention your interviewers there.

I just received an email from financial aid saying I am not admitted to SHSU and are unable to move forward with my financial application.. Is this a rejection? I interviewed in November. Email header says "NOT ADMITTED"..

Reactions: 1 user
I just received an email from financial aid saying I am not admitted to SHSU and are unable to move forward with my financial application.. Is this a rejection? I interviewed in November. Email header says "NOT ADMITTED"..
Haha no. That’s from SHSU not SHSU-COM. They are acknowledging that you submitted fafsa but aren’t admitted. It’s an automatically generating email.

Haha no. That’s from SHSU not SHSU-COM. They are acknowledging that you submitted fafsa but aren’t admitted. It’s an automatically generating email.
You're so right! I was so confused, like what a weird way of rejecting me lol. Thank you :)

Got the same thing and I was about to be really sad lol

i got the same thing and was like damn they really just rejected me like that.

whoever sent that email did that on purpose and is a troll. I like him ;)

How long did it take to hear back (or not if you haven't) after receiving the "Admissions Committee Review Complete" email?

How long did it take to hear back (or not if you haven't) after receiving the "Admissions Committee Review Complete" email?

Received this email earlier today and just prematched an hour ago!

Interviewed 11/4. LM 71 and IS applicant.

Last edited:
  • Love
Admissions committee review complete email received. Does this have any potential meaning or should I just brush it off?

Admissions committee review complete email received. Does this have any potential meaning or should I just brush it off?
Don’t let it worry you. Everyone who interviewed gets the email.

Do you mind If I ask how long it was between when you got your review is complete email and prematch email? ty!!
take it with a grain of salt, but I got my review complete email last night after the pre-match email, so I don't really know how relevant the review email is!

take it with a grain of salt, but I got my review complete email last night after the pre-match email, so I don't really know how relevant the review email is!
Good to know, ty. I'm going to go eat my feelings.

Fun fact about this school. I received an interview invite two years in a row from this school. I got waitlisted two years in a row. I ultimately got rejected two years in a row. I believe I was used as a invite holder fill in quota. By the way both years interview went great.

• Care
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Fun fact about this school. I received an interview invite two years in a row from this school. I got waitlisted two years in a row. I ultimately got rejected two years in a row. I believe I was used as an invite holder fill in quota. By the way both years interview went great.
I’m so sorry 😞 I hope they didn’t just interview you to fill in quota ;( Were your interviews late or early in the cycle if you don’t mind me asking

Also lower MCAT High GPA applicant. I was probably a fill in which kind of sucks. You ask questions and get vague answers post cycle but I already know. Probably my last time applying to school. Its been a rough journey. Lot of time and money spent. Number on wish is to have a great group of diverse doctors looking to serve to overbalance the horror story doctors even if its not me.

Also lower MCAT High GPA applicant. I was probably a fill in which kind of sucks. You ask questions and get vague answers post cycle but I already know. Probably my last time applying to school. Its been a rough journey. Lot of time and money spent. Number on wish is to have a great group of diverse doctors looking to serve to overbalance the horror story doctors even if its not me.
Have you applied to other DO schools(Both oos and IS)?? Pretty sure you'll get in somewhere if you apply broadly.

Fun fact about this school. I received an interview invite two years in a row from this school. I got waitlisted two years in a row. I ultimately got rejected two years in a row. I believe I was used as a invite holder fill in quota. By the way both years interview went great.

Too be honest I’ve never heard of an “invite holder fill in quota.” That sounds like a waste of resources. They spent a good 15+ dollars on each interviewee this year if you count the cheap water bottles and weird pens?? Although the food was decent. But more importantly, staff needed to interview students.

Reactions: 7 users
Just received a pre-II R, IS.

I'm so curious as to what these schools are using to determine pre-II Rs this cycle. I have received a pre-II R from SHSU and UTMB, but not from McGovern and A&M. I know there will likely never be a definite answer to this question, its just intriguing to see how TX schools are running this pilot (??) system of giving out pre-II Rs. Is it random ?? Am I actually still under consideration at schools I haven't received an R from ?? What was in my app that made SHSU send an R before match ?? who knows :unsure:

pre- II IS rejection email here too. :/

• Care
Just received a pre-II R, IS.

I'm so curious as to what these schools are using to determine pre-II Rs this cycle. I have received a pre-II R from SHSU and UTMB, but not from McGovern and A&M. I know there will likely never be a definite answer to this question, its just intriguing to see how TX schools are running this pilot (??) system of giving out pre-II Rs. Is it random ?? Am I actually still under consideration at schools I haven't received an R from ?? What was in my app that made SHSU send an R before match ?? who knows :unsure:
Well, SHSU has had 15 interview invite days this year, and about the same end date to their invitations as last year, and they probably decided they have interviewed enough people for this year.

Prematch offer received today

Interviewed in August LM 71

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone hasn’t heard from SHSU??
I believe they have one last interview date on January 20 (unless more have opened since I last asked). So there’s still time to hear back!

Is anyone willing to do a mock interview with me?? I want an constructive evaluation on my responses/ vibe :)