2022-2023 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Post secondary rejection received today

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have not heard from Sam Houston but I completed late as in 10/10. I think chances are if one has not got a an II already, the cycle is probably over. I am planning for next cycle and moving to the old applicant page to fix the MCAT up. I generally do not believe in the holistic applicant review. Its like, if one is going to reject me, I like to know in advance, not as a side note.

I have not heard from Sam Houston but I completed late as in 10/10. I think chances are if one has not got a an II already, the cycle is probably over. I am planning for next cycle and moving to the old applicant page to fix the MCAT up. I generally do not believe in the holistic applicant review. Its like, if one is going to reject me, I like to know in advance, not as a side note.
All interviews must be done by Feb 17 so there is a little more time

Admissions just responded "January 20th is the last interview date that SHSU-COM will be offering for this cycle." However, they did not respond to my question on whether all interview spots were filled. I assume this is another situation where whomever has still not been rejected is on "hold" status for an interview in case someone cancels their interview.

Reactions: 1 user
When will 1/20 interviewees be notified regarding their results?

Probably via Match Day March 3
I would agree, if you are interviewing late in the cycle....chances are its probably as a hold match to fill the class if accepted applicants fled/declined matching/matched other places etc.

So wysdoc is right, you won't know till match after the dust has settled and everyone has already landed wherever they are going to land.

Basically, your interviewing for a backup match seat in the class....in case they don't fill all their seats due to their interviewees ranking other schools higher and matching elsewhere.

Seems like its all back up and positioning at this point.

I would agree, if you are interviewing late in the cycle....chances are its probably as a hold match to fill the class if accepted applicants fled/declined matching/matched other places etc.

So wysdoc is right, you won't know till match after the dust has settled and everyone has already landed wherever they are going to land.

Basically, your interviewing for a backup match seat in the class....in case they don't fill all their seats due to their interviewees ranking other schools higher and matching elsewhere.

I agree with some of what you said, but I don’t think this school has sent out enough prematch offers to fill their class at this point.

I agree with some of what you said, but I don’t think this school has sent out enough prematch offers to fill their class at this point.
I obviously defer to your historical knowledge (prematch etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)

Did not know that was a thing... :(.... Does that mean I simply have a lower chance because I am just "filling" a spot?

Did not know that was a thing... :(.... Does that mean I simply have a lower chance because I am just "filling" a spot?
No sir! You have a great chance of being ranked highly and matching still, go in to it giving your best impression during the interview!!

Edit: Just because it will be in their last interview session does not necessarily mean you won’t still be ranked higher than those who interviewed earlier!!

Best of luck to you this Friday, you’ll love the school and area!!

No sir! You have a great chance of being ranked highly and matching still, go in to it giving your best impression during the interview!!

Edit: Just because it will be in their last interview session does not necessarily mean you won’t still be ranked higher than those who interviewed earlier!!

Best of luck to you this Friday, you’ll love the school and area!!
I will try my best ! :)

How do schools rank the applicants? Is the interview heavily weighed when making the ranking decisions?
Most schools look back over your entire application when the admissions committee votes/ranks, but yes the interview is usually a very large part of the decision. Good news is that if you have been extended an interview by a school, they believe you are a possible candidate and a good fit for their program. A great interview will make them more likely to rank you highly. The main reason wysdoc says you most likely won’t hear until match is because that would only give the school about one week to review and rank all applicants after your interview date before the pre match period ends. I wouldn’t stress about prematching though as even in this thread many of the applicants holding prematches are considering other programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Most schools look back over your entire application when the admissions committee votes/ranks, but yes the interview is usually a very large part of the decision. Good news is that if you have been extended an interview by a school, they believe you are a possible candidate and a good fit for their program. A great interview will make them more likely to rank you highly. The main reason wysdoc says you most likely won’t hear until match is because that would only give the school about one week to review and rank all applicants after your interview date before the pre match period ends. I wouldn’t stress about prematching though as even in this thread many of the applicants holding prematches are considering other programs.
Yes @TeamTexas has a good understanding of the process. I suppose they “could” have a meeting to offer pre-matches and then another meeting to make their Match list, but I am thinking they will just wait and do the Match ranking. We’ll see if I’m right

Want to second this by saying many students with prematches will rank other schools higher (not just here) and will absolutely open more spots for others. I don't think a late interview puts you out of the running on match day at all.

How do schools rank the applicants? Is the interview heavily weighed when making the ranking decisions?
I would add that SHSU in particular on interview day stated that they give each applicant a composite score based on stats, interview, writing assignment, group activity, etc... and rank the applicants. so in theory, if you rock the interview and everything, you could be higher than someone who interviewed in august !

Multifactorial and depends on school/mission who best fits them after stat and "holistic" review whichever their ranking algorithm weight values most from what I saw with my faculty friends.

I do have good news I did not inform of yesterday. They do have remaining slots open for their last interview date I was told

Per Admin Email:

At this time, there are still open spots for the January 20th interview date.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Best,

Not that informative but hey......So there should be some flood of invites coming out this week ya think?

Multifactorial and depends on school/mission who best fits them after stat and "holistic" review whichever their ranking algorithm weight values most from what I saw with my faculty friends.

I do have good news I did not inform of yesterday. They do have remaining slots open for their last interview date I was told

Per Admin Email:

At this time, there are still open spots for the January 20th interview date.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Best,

Not that informative but hey......So there should be some flood of invites coming out this week ya think?
I bet they would send out invites for next weeks session pretty soon this week as the interview is in person!

I bet they would send out invites for next weeks session pretty soon this week as the interview is in person!
One would think but.....I do not see anyone reporting initial interview invites received so that theory does not hold water.

If anyone got a recent II this week please post.

One would think but.....I do not see anyone reporting initial interview invites received so that theory does not hold water.

If anyone got a recent II this week please post.
Everyone who is still waiting on a possible interview may want to keep next friday open just in case a last minute invite rolls in!

Does anyone have any tips on interviewing for this school? My date is coming up fast, and I just don’t know how to feel confident with myself since it’s not a “traditional format”

Does anyone have any tips on interviewing for this school? My date is coming up fast, and I just don’t know how to feel confident with myself since it’s not a “traditional format”
Maybe refresh on some MMI, but interview is very low stress. Just be yourself and enjoy the interview day!

You get a notepad to jot your thoughts down so spend some time to craft a quick narrative, take a deep breathe, and respond the best you can! Leave some time for follow up questions. For the written part, give those fingers a nice stretch. The group interview was low key kind of fun so just go with the flow. I would also recommend a comfier pair of dress shoes for the day. There’s a lot of walking!

You get a notepad to jot your thoughts down so spend some time to craft a quick narrative, take a deep breathe, and respond the best you can! Leave some time for follow up questions. For the written part, give those fingers a nice stretch. The group interview was low key kind of fun so just go with the flow. I would also recommend a comfier pair of dress shoes for the day. There’s a lot of walking!
Did not get to write anything down in my MMI.

So for the one-one interview, is it both MMI and the general interview questions (why DO, tell me about yourself, why shsu, etc...)?

With match day coming up soon, y'all think any more pre-matches will come in?

I guess I can’t see how you’d pre-match the whole class because applicants can hole multiple pre-matches and inevitably some may rank another school above SHSU and potentially match there, opening up more spots for match.

They said they were going to try to prematch the entire class so more should be coming.
I hadn’t heard this either. Obviously SDN isn’t exactly reflective of reality, but if this is true, I feel like I’ve seen surprisingly few prematches on this thread

I’d have to imagine there will be many more prematch and match offers here as people turn down their offer to attend other schools…

I’d have to imagine there will be many more prematch and match offers here as people turn down their offer to attend other schools…
Yeah, so just be sure to rank ALL the schools where you have interviewed.
The Match algorithm will work things out so if you ranked a school high and others ranked it low, it could turn out in your favor.

Woaaaah, that’s news to me. I wasn’t aware they were going to be pre-match heavy
My bad. I had the wrong thread! I definitely did not hear that for SHSU. Sorry for any unfounded hope/anxiety!!

T-1 days till interview! Good luck everyone !
Any tips on what NOT to do?

T-1 days till interview! Good luck everyone !
Any tips on what NOT to do?
I'm little nervous for tomorrow.

I talked with my friends.

Great tips were:
- Don't repeat the same thing.
- Delivering a story is great. But, get straight to the point to answer the question.
- Practice! It's our time to shine!!

Good luck everyone!!

I'm little nervous for tomorrow.

I talked with my friends.

Great tips were:
- Don't repeat the same thing.
- Delivering a story is great. But, get straight to the point to answer the question.
- Practice! It's our time to shine!!

Good luck everyone!!
Thank you !!
Good luck to you tommorow~!!

• Care