2021 new grad salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenJammin

No Apologies
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the new rate for this year's grads?

Members don't see this ad.

$25 per hour at 32 hours a week AND the opportunity to have a job ...😁

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was offered 44.50 for a staff spot (floating) with WAGS back in NOV 2020. 32/HR base. And that was with a resume FULL of years of management exp. thats an all time low.... they will run into a problem soon. People have to move for these jobs mostly......but who will move their life for an unethical company , paying low wages, and low hours..? eventually it will get to a point people just say "no i cant justify moving".....Maybe when salaries hit the 30's? and we all know going in the job may not last long....

• Wow
I was offered 44.50 for a staff spot (floating) with WAGS back in NOV 2020. 32/HR base. And that was with a resume FULL of years of management exp. thats an all time low.... they will run into a problem soon. People have to move for these jobs mostly......but who will move their life for an unethical company , paying low wages, and low hours..? eventually it will get to a point people just say "no i cant justify moving".....Maybe when salaries hit the 30's? and we all know going in the job may not last long....

Only problem is with so many new grads, it’s going to take time to get there. Someone will inevitably be desperate enough to do the scut work for pennies on the dollar.

A grad intern got $64 a year ago. I forgot to ask what the temp pharmacists at Walmart are getting

Only problem is with so many new grads, it’s going to take time to get there. Someone will inevitably be desperate enough to do the scut work for pennies on the dollar.
65% of the incoming class of students is women. Most women have at least one kid and the areas of this country where it's not worth working for $40/hr are growing quickly since childcare is so expensive. The way all of this is resolved is letting techs do product review and have off site pharmacists do dur and data review. A high school grad will be happy with $30/hr after all while someone who has gone through professional school will barely tolerate $40/hr.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
65% of the incoming class of students is women. Most women have at least one kid and the areas of this country where it's not worth working for $40/hr are growing quickly since childcare is so expensive. The way all of this is resolved is letting techs do product review and have off site pharmacists do dur and data review. A high school grad will be happy with $30/hr after all while someone who has gone through professional school will barely tolerate $40/hr.
That would mean we would probably needs 2/5 pharmacists that are employed today. The other 3 pharmacists are the ones you’re talking about that won’t work for 40$ an hour.

Friend of mine was a 2019 grad, she has been working for Walgreens since graduation. Current pay: somewhere between 45 and 55/hour. Location: major metro area in the Midwest.

The off site techs are a reality...... A central pharmacist ...covers two or three remote sites staffed by a tech..sometimes two....mostly in the sticks so far...It seems to be a bit experimental.. we shall see.

Wag was paying $55-60/hr back in 2010. CVS was paying $62/hr back in 2014. Now it's down to low 50's? with inflation, how does this even make sense lol. Why is this profession going backwards?

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Out of curiosity, I did a quick count of the ~25 US college educated women that are currently 33 to 36 years old that I know (from undergrad and grad school), and only 8 have at least 1 child, and 3 have 2 children. I would not be surprised if the chances of a woman with a bachelors or higher having at least 1 kid go down to 50% in the near future.

It's not so easy to "have it all."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wag was paying $55-60/hr back in 2010. CVS was paying $62/hr back in 2014. Now it's down to low 50's? with inflation, how does this even make sense lol. Why is this profession going backwards?
Illustration-price-relationship-demand.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Yes it does
There are many things that affect equilibrium and if we were in a 'fair' market then it would be very easy. Have anyone just to show you a PBM and DIR chart and it does make economic sense if you can see the external forces on these economic curves. So yes, the equation is easy if you know what influences the variables.

For what it's worth, more schools have extended downward pressure on salary than any other force IMO.

By far.You can have an increased scope of practice and that may affect demand but brick and mortar continue to contract.Even if you abolished PBMs (that won't happen) cost cutter pharmacies like Wal Mart will still keep profit margins low.Publix gives some meds at no charge.When I asked for a raise they said the pharmacy was not making any money.One quarter of my Rx volume was at no charge. I do not want to get into 50 dollar transfer gift cards.Pharmacy is its own worst enemy not PBMs

• Wow
Yeah... this is gonna be a no. Simple supply and demand curve does not explain or justify why our salary is falling to stupidness.
Do you believe the supply of pharmacists is high?

By far.You can have an increased scope of practice and that may affect demand but brick and mortar continue to contract.Even if you abolished PBMs (that won't happen) cost cutter pharmacies like Wal Mart will still keep profit margins low.Publix gives some meds at no charge.When I asked for a raise they said the pharmacy was not making any money.One quarter of my Rx volume was at no charge. I do not want to get into 50 dollar transfer gift cards.Pharmacy is its own worst enemy not PBMs
PBMs control how much all pharmacies get reimbursed. Yes, it IS the pbms that are the problem.

Yes. There are also things like inflation and PBMs and dirs and clawbacks abd rebates and kickbacks and lobbying power that contribute far more than simply having high supply. We have exponentially more pharmacists now than compared to 1970s. Why do we make more money now?

Go look up cash only pharmacies and see how well they’re doing. One pharmacy in austin is making profits in the millions by doing cash only. Get rid of pbms, our profession will improve immensely.

• Hmm
Also, you actually think there is less demand? Big chains cut hours to save on labor and have pushed staff capacity to its limits. There have never been in human history when we consumed more drugs than now. Oh there is demand.

Also, you actually think there is less demand? Big chains cut hours to save on labor and have pushed staff capacity to its limits. There have never been in human history when we consumed more drugs than now. Oh there is demand.

Demand for drugs doesn't equate to demand for pharmacists. In fact chains have figured out ways to reduce need for more pharmacists by increasing tech responsibilities, consolidating stores, etc.

Demand for drugs doesn't equate to demand for pharmacists. In fact chains have figured out ways to reduce need for more pharmacists by increasing tech responsibilities, consolidating stores, etc.
Yet pharmacists are over worked? Interesting. Increasing tech responsibilities does not equate to adequate staffing. That just means that techs need to do more with same amount of staff. Youre just moving unclean dishes from one side of kitchen to the other side. All chains have figured out is that they can load more and more work with less staffing. Actually, they havent figured it out which is why pharmacists are b!tching about work conditions. Chains figured out that if they control reimbursements and schools they could increase supply by unnatural causes and had this delusion that somehow they could get away with it. They have been but now things are changing. Laws are changing and pharmacists are changing.

Another new trend emerging is the use of recruiters and agencies. I think it was done with nursing jobs plenty. I'm noticing an uptick in postings coming out where you know it is CVS or another place but posted through agencies.

A bit deceiving obviously.

Go look up cash only pharmacies and see how well they’re doing. One pharmacy in austin is making profits in the millions by doing cash only. Get rid of pbms, our profession will improve immensely.
Another new trend emerging is the use of recruiters and agencies. I think it was done with nursing jobs plenty. I'm noticing an uptick in postings coming out where you know it is CVS or another place but posted through agencies.

I see them also.Mostly immunizers.I work for CVS as an immunizer and most of my co workers are not pharmacists or techs but agency nurses..I asked how much they make and it was the same as me.Pharmacists have the green light to immunize nationwide which is nice for me since I live near a border state plus it opens up travel opportunities elsewhere.No,it
is not a panacea but it puts food on the table.

Who is paying 42$ for pharmacists with a license in AZ?????
Walgreens offered someone I know 44 or 45, and that pharmacist has years of experience. I know for a fact some temp companies are offering some 13 week positions with weekly rates that equate to $25 an hour. I was shocked.

• Wow

Don't think that is a bad thing. Some people like contracting and use it to their advantage.

Walgreens offered someone I know 44 or 45, and that pharmacist has years of experience. I know for a fact some temp companies are offering some 13 week positions with weekly rates that equate to $25 an hour. I was shocked.
With these rates, there's no reason to not consider migrating to Canada. If the pay rate is the same, why not?

Canada is worse. They allow any foreign pharmacist to work after passing a simple test. Everything is more expensive and they're hitting $25/hr as well.
Judging by this website, it looks slightly more complex than you are indicating: Pharmacists' Gateway Canada for International Pharmacists

And not "everything is more expensive" there. There is a lot of regional variation state to state and city to city within both the US and Canada. You have to look at your own specific situation to compare. I haven't seen $25/hr from Canada personally. Again, you need to look at specific situations to compare. It's no panacea. But with things as they are in the States for new grads, it makes more sense than it used to.

Last edited:
Don't think that is a bad thing. Some people like contracting and use it to their advantage.
I used to work a bit for these agencies for other stores (Schnucks, kmart, etc). Heck, my own company (Osco) hired agencies to fill in. I always thought it was stupid financially that they would pay an agency >$80 an hour to fill an opening - but they wouldn't pay me over my base ($43/hr at the time - this was in 2004) - but I could go work the same agency at a competitor and I got paid $55/hr. Duh - what would you do?

Last edited:
  • Hmm
With an abundant supply of pharmacists I don't think they will have a problem getting takers for 32/hr base. I myself have seen similar offers on Indeed. Overall I think this is good for the profession. It will weed out the people that are just in pharmacy for the money and only the pharmacist purists will remain that actually like pharmacy and enjoy helping people.

With an abundant supply of pharmacists I don't think they will have a problem getting takers for 32/hr base. I myself have seen similar offers on Indeed. Overall I think this is good for the profession. It will weed out the people that are just in pharmacy for the money and only the pharmacist purists will remain that actually like pharmacy and enjoy helping people.
I can't tell anymore if people like this are trolling or they actually are this brain dead.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 12 users
I can't tell anymore if people like this are trolling or they actually are this brain dead.
I assure you I am not brain dead! lol. Sorry that you think i'm trolling but i'm speaking from my heart honestly.

• Haha
What’s the appropriate compensation for a ”purist”?

What’s the appropriate compensation for a ”purist”?
I can't answer that question honestly without being accused of trolling so I respectively decline to answer that. I can say it is below even the current market rate. While money is certainly of value to me, it is not something I am seeking to hoard or even a top 5 priority in my life.

Pharmacy schools are like Pleasure Island.
The staff and faculty are like the Coachman.
Students come to Pleasure Island after being sold big hopes and dreams of becoming respected clinicians or industry employees who get to work cush jobs from home.
Then they get turned into donkeys and shipped off to slave away for the big retail chains, or are left to starve because the big chains do not want to provide the budget to feed such donkeys.

• Hmm
  • Wow
I came across the exit survey from a top-ranking pharmacy school for their class of 2019 and here are the numbers: roughly 50% is going to a residency and 30% got a job. Only 4% had not yet found a job and 16% did not respond to the survey. I think a 4% unemployment rate for a graduating class is a really good number, isn't it? So it sounds like people are doing just fine as long as they graduate from a top pharmacy school.

I came across the exit survey from a top-ranking pharmacy school for their class of 2019 and here are the numbers: roughly 50% is going to a residency and 30% got a job. Only 4% had not yet found a job and 16% did not respond to the survey. I think a 4% unemployment rate for a graduating class is a really good number, isn't it? So it sounds like people are doing just fine as long as they graduate from a top pharmacy school.
so that 50% residency is really 30% delayed unemployment right? I mean are these residents really all getting jobs upon completion of their PGY1?

Those 50% going into residencies falsely elevated the number. I would like to see how many people have a “real job” after residency? That will increase the unemployment rate. Plus the 16% thst didn’t respond Likely have a Higher unemployment rate than those who responded.

Those 50% going into residencies falsely elevated the number. I would like to see how many people have a “real job” after residency? That will increase the unemployment rate. Plus the 16% thst didn’t respond Likely have a Higher unemployment rate than those who responded.
Yup. And did the stats delve into underemployment at all? Someone who is part-time or guaranteed 30 hours minimum is employed, but it's not what they were expecting... especially with the hourly rates being where they are now.

How many of these jobs are full time permanent positions? Probably somewhere around 20%.

16% who didn't respond = unemployed.

These surveys are just like gambling or stock/crypto winnings. Everyone likes to brag when they win (get a job), but no one tells you about their losses (unemployed).

There is no such thing as a "top" pharmacy school. The majority of employers don't care where you went.

I saw a billboard for roofers, $30.25 an hour. Chewy is paying $20.75 an hour. Walmart pays $18.75 an hour in their warehouse. No skill can earn almost half of what a pharmacist makes, while some skill can earn 75%. Who's going to go to school for 6+ years just to make a 25% premium?