2021-2022 NYU (Grossman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I interviewed exactly 3 weeks ago (Wednesday Sept. 22), does that mean I can expect a decision today? or was 2-3 weeks a rough estimate? (maybe someone who interviewed earlier can answer this?)
Yeah I think we will hear back on Friday (I was also that week and haven't had any decision).

Members don't see this ad.

If I interviewed exactly 3 weeks ago (Wednesday Sept. 22), does that mean I can expect a decision today? or was 2-3 weeks a rough estimate? (maybe someone who interviewed earlier can answer this?)
Nearly 4 weeks for me so I think that was a rough estimate or they will send out a lot this Friday.

Reactions: 1 user
Got a post-II R this morning. Good luck to everyone else!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed 9/21, this morning got a post-II WL I think. It says we can't offer you admission at this time but will continue to review and notify if accepted

• Care
interviewed 9/21, this morning got a post-II WL I think. It says we can't offer you admission at this time but will continue to review and notify if accepted
is this different than post-ii hold? like did your email explicitly say WL?

Woke up late af hungover after phone died overnight and have 2 missed phone calls from unknown locations and no update on my portal or email despite interviewing 4 weeks ago.
Waiting Patiently GIF by Justin

Woke up late af hungover after phone died overnight and have 2 missed phone calls from unknown locations and no update on my portal or email despite interviewing 4 weeks ago.
Waiting Patiently GIF by Justin
How do you know the missed locations weren’t Manhattan?

How do you know the missed locations weren’t Manhattan?
It just says unknown. I think they were scam calls; or it's just my wack phone settings which was on moon mode so everything just goes to voicemail. I'll just wait...doesn't make sense for them to call me with an A but not update portal right? I get no email but portal should be updated?

It just says unknown. I think they were scam calls; or it's just my wack phone settings which was on moon mode so everything just goes to voicemail. I'll just wait...doesn't make sense for them to call me with an A but not update portal right? I get no email but portal should be updated?
call back

I got unknown calls on tuesday but no A

Members don't see this ad :)
Update to everyone talking about unknown numbers: Dean Rivera just said when he calls he uses a spoofing service that comes from a 212 number that should have callerID as NYU Grossman Admissions

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Welp, 2 more business hours or I guess I'm going to get a 5 week special -_-

For updates, would it be appropriate to relate the updates to resources NYU has at its school, or should it just be bullet-point list-ish?

For those who have interviewed already, did the MMI have an acting station? (If you're not allowed to tell me, that's totally fine - I'm just stressing needlessly about acting stations and would love to know if it's warranted 😅 )

For those who have interviewed already, did the MMI have an acting station? (If you're not allowed to tell me, that's totally fine - I'm just stressing needlessly about acting stations and would love to know if it's warranted 😅 )
Not that I remember but the prep is the same: talk slow, don't be stupid, and cover all your bases

HOLY CRAP I OFFICIALLY GOT ACCEPTED!!!

to another week of waiting. sugma whoever said 3 weeks biggest bait ever.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
How far along is NYU compared to other schools? They definitely started earlier than most of the other T20s.

How far along is NYU compared to other schools? They definitely started earlier than most of the other T20s.
Just had a discussion with someone about this and they seem quite far, just based on the tracker. For the trackers the past two years only 3 people reported IIs after September… Still holding out hope of course and the tracker isn’t always the most accurate.

The dean said they are going to accept and interview significantly less people this year, and last year the only sent out like 1k interviews. Considering that and the fact they started almost immediately, I'd probably assume the only people who could get II's right now are the mid/low-stat folks with insane ECs or something.

In the past threads people have reported IIs in November

Honestly though, getting an II from NYU is such a Pyrrhic victory. They have like a 20% post II acceptance rate. Would much rather get one from a school like Michigan where it’s closer to 80% post interview acceptance rate

Reactions: 5 users

Honestly though, getting an II from NYU is such a Pyrrhic victory. They have like a 20% post II acceptance rate. Would much rather get one from a school like Michigan where it’s closer to 80% post interview acceptance rate
Exactly how I felt ... getting the Michigan II was so relieving because I knew that something had to really be wrong for me not to secure that dub.

Just hoping an early NYU II means my chances are a little higher.

Damn. That's a big yikes.

The dean said they are going to accept and interview significantly less people this year, and last year the only sent out like 1k interviews. Considering that and the fact they started almost immediately, I'd probably assume the only people who could get II's right now are the mid/low-stat folks with insane ECs or something.
What would be classified as an insane EC? Like military, Olympics, etc?

Military? Yes

Olympics? That’s probably in an entirely different class of extracurriculars, bordering on autoadmit if the stats are there)

I think that a medical student at UKentucky recently won gold in olympics. I guarantee if she applied after winning gold, she would be at NYU, Harvard, Stanford etc. They love that stuff.

Reactions: 1 users

I mean there's no rigorous list but I don't think it's THAT insane, at least for II's I'm sure anything along the lines of high impact research (publications, generally first author, in high end journals + strong PI letter), owning/founding/running/president of a huge [successful] health related organization or business, extremely moving life story, etc. obviously military/olympics/literally being famous is 'insane' EC but I wasn't really thinking about that.

Generally anything that can bring a 513-517 candidate to get II'd at NYU. I would think those are the people they are reviewing rn for the most part. I would also guess most URMs have already been reviewed too.

I believe his exact words were "unless you have a first author nature publication, then I wanna hear about that" in regards to what kind of updates would help your app

Does anyone know how many applicants were accepted and how many were placed on hold?

That 512 last year likely had more than one asterisk helping them since it is lowest stat. Examples- top athlete, invented/discovered something to help others, low ses, military etc.

most of these categories or high stat (LM>80) get the first round of interviews with a few getting acceptances in October and most of the rest deferred from Jan-May with rejections along the way.
Could you shed some light on my situation: I have MCAT 516 fist time, MCAT 520 second time. GPA around 4.9X from a mid tier state university. LM around 76.6. I am a CA ORM. I applied to 35 schools many in the T40 and some state schools such as Cincinnati, Upitt, UVA. Also, schools like. Rochester, Emory, NY downstate, but so far I got 5 R's and no II. Is there still chance for me to get in this cycle? I am anxious because it is already late October...:<. Thank you so much for your insight!!

Could you shed some light on my situation: I have MCAT 516 fist time, MCAT 520 second time. GPA around 4.9X from a mid tier state university. LM around 76.6. I am a CA ORM. I applied to 35 schools many in the T40 and some state schools such as Cincinnati, Upitt, UVA. Also, schools like. Rochester, Emory, NY downstate, but so far I got 5 R's and no II. Is there still chance for me to get in this cycle? I am anxious because it is already late October...:<. Thank you so much for your insight!!
Don't fret until Thanksgiving and if you need advice make a thread about it, not on the school specific ones

Does anyone know how many applicants were accepted and how many were placed on hold?
My guestamate for non MD-PHd
20 As total within month of Interview
58% post II Hold
40% post II R within month of Interview.
:
in January: maybe 40 more A’s and
Hold-list culled to 250-300
Feb-May 70-90 more As Slowly.

My guestamate for non MD-PHd
20 As total within month of Interview
58% post II Hold
40% post II R within month of Interview.
:
in January: maybe 40 more A’s and
Hold-list culled to 250-300
Feb-May 70-90 more As Slowly.
Maybe a little less As now but your probably close. They started interviewing mid September and a couple weeks ago dean Rivera said he gave out 8 As ( about a month in). There’s generally 25 people in each session so I’m gonna be liberal and say there’s about a 10% within month acceptance rate.

There was another post that said half of the class came off the hold list, so that adds up to their Post-II 20% A rate.

Maybe a little less As now but your probably close. They started interviewing mid September and a couple weeks ago dean Rivera said he gave out 8 As ( about a month in). There’s generally 25 people in each session so I’m gonna be liberal and say there’s about a 10% within month acceptance rate.

There was another post that said half of the class came off the hold list, so that adds up to their Post-II 20% A rate.
I interviewed in sept but went the the session last friday the 15th. There were 92 people at the info session and he said they had released 16 As (actually 14 because 2 didn't pick up their phones and he had to call them again) as of that day

When do y'all think more decisions will be released this week?

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone that is hoping to hear back from NYU soon. Fingers crossed y'all here tomorrow. I was incredibly blessed to have been accepted this month. I don't have a 528 MCAT, 50 publications, or the cure for cancer but I think the ECs and essays helped sell me a little bit. (Still in limbo about this acceptance honestly. I haven't really told anyone in real life or really celebrated as I wasn't expecting this. Idk, it feels odd.).

For those of you that have interviews coming up, biggest thing I'd say is to just be you. I know it's cliche but honestly don't try to be someone you're not. I think the MMI interview format is tough for a lot of people, myself included, but the one thing I told myself going in is to just be passionate about what it was I was talking about. I think it worked.

Also, before MMIs I was told to go through a ton of practice questions for an MMI interview. I went through 1 the morning of. My logic was, you'll never really know what question someone is about to throw at you, so why try to obsess and practice about what question you 'MIGHT' be asked. Also, I didn't want to sound like a car salesman when giving my response. Just make it a conversation more or less with the interviewer. Don't have 1000 prompts memorized because you're gonna burn yourself out that way and if a station goes wrong, in 5 minutes you will never have to worry about it ever again.

Just wanted to share some words of encouragement because some of my friends are also interviewing and they seem so stressed. Don't get me wrong, I stressed quite a bit too but I tried my best to limit it the day of the interview. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of you experience the joy of this A. Best of luck! - Poprockets

Reactions: 13 users
Just wanted to say good luck to everyone that is hoping to hear back from NYU soon. Fingers crossed y'all here tomorrow. I was incredibly blessed to have been accepted this month. I don't have a 528 MCAT, 50 publications, or the cure for cancer but I think the ECs and essays helped sell me a little bit. (Still in limbo about this acceptance honestly. I haven't really told anyone in real life or really celebrated as I wasn't expecting this. Idk, it feels odd.).

For those of you that have interviews coming up, biggest thing I'd say is to just be you. I know it's cliche but honestly don't try to be someone you're not. I think the MMI interview format is tough for a lot of people, myself included, but the one thing I told myself going in is to just be passionate about what it was I was talking about. I think it worked.

Also, before MMIs I was told to go through a ton of practice questions for an MMI interview. I went through 1 the morning of. My logic was, you'll never really know what question someone is about to throw at you, so why try to obsess and practice about what question you 'MIGHT' be asked. Also, I didn't want to sound like a car salesman when giving my response. Just make it a conversation more or less with the interviewer. Don't have 1000 prompts memorized because you're gonna burn yourself out that way and if a station goes wrong, in 5 minutes you will never have to worry about it ever again.

Just wanted to share some words of encouragement because some of my friends are also interviewing and they seem so stressed. Don't get me wrong, I stressed quite a bit too but I tried my best to limit it the day of the interview. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of you experience the joy of this A. Best of luck! - Poprockets
NYU ur top choice?

tied with a few other schools more or less but the financials at NYU make it hard to turn down honestly.
Yea finances are important, I'm MD-PhD tho so things are free luckily

NYU living situation seems rough tho

You are the sweetest person to offer such words of encouragement. Congrats on your A and I can tell that you are already going to be a kind, compassionate doctor. Goodluck and blessings to you

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
You are the sweetest person to offer such words of encouragement. Congrats on your A and I can tell that you are already going to be a kind, compassionate doctor. Goodluck and blessings to you
Thank you for the kind words, right back to you too. Goodluck to you as well!!

Holy cow congrats!! Did you get accepted on a Friday?
Just wondering but how would people rank the NYC schools
Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Icahn, Einstein, Rochester, Stony Brook, Hofstra, Upstate, Albany, NYULI, etc.

Holy cow congrats!! Did you get accepted on a Friday?

Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Icahn, Einstein, Rochester, Stony Brook, Hofstra, Upstate, Albany, NYULI, etc.
Columbia
NYU
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Einstein
NYU Long Island
SUNY Downstate
Touro

Edit: only included schools around NYC
Dang really? Columbia over NYU? Any specific reasons why? I guess the 3 year program just puts it over the moon for me.