2021-2022 NYU (Grossman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
looks like inflation isn’t just affecting the CPI print. MCAT scores have been rapidly rising. A few years ago it seemed as if 521 was well above the median for any school, but now it seems like 523+ is becoming the new 520+
I think it's just at the Top10s, a 520+ is still the 97th percentile amongst all test takers

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know it's rough but everyone needs to take a deep breath. II will come when it comes. And for NYU with a median of 522 and a super small class, I am honestly not really expecting anything from here anyway.
It would be ignorant to be overly optimistic about the few stat-obsessed schools like NYU with under a 520, especially because they heavily prefer feeder schools for the spots under the medians; this is a "Yolo" for nigh all of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if we submitted early we should assume we aren’t getting one?
Depends on which theory of IIs you believe! :)

One theory is that if you submitted early and didn't receive any love, you are done, which is the one you are asking about. This theory exists because many people submit early and never receive any love, so they believe this must be the case.

The better theory is that submitting early confers an advantage because it makes you eligible to be selected at more meetings of the adcom. Isn't this why you rushed to be complete so early? If so, why are you even asking the question??

Anyway, under this theory, every applicant that is not selected at one meeting remains eligible for selection at the next meeting, along with all the new applications that have been marked complete since the last meeting. If this is true, you should assume nothing week to week and meeting to meeting, because you have no way to know whether you are at the bottom of the pile, and will never be selected, or if you just missed the cut last time and will ultimately be called as soon as there are an insufficient number of applicants scoring higher than you to fill an II quota at a subsequent meeting.

Just pick whichever theory resonates with you. The second one makes more sense to me, especially because, every year, at every school, people report submitting early and being called after people who have submitted later. YMMV. Good luck!!!

Reactions: 3 users
=

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Do people’s portals say “application complete” or “application under review.” Not sure if mine changed.

No mine says complete but at other schools it says under review so I was confused lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone not get a confirmation email from NYU about their secondary having been submitted despite everything being completed (aside from the 3-year accelerated MD pathway)?

Did anyone not get a confirmation email from NYU about their secondary having been submitted despite everything being completed (aside from the 3-year accelerated MD pathway)?

I did not get a confirmation email

I got a complete email almost a month after I submitted everything

What do these number mean? I'm lost
LM is a metric that combines your mcat and GPA. WARS is a more holistic metric that combines all parts of your app into one score.

II = interview invite
URM = underrepresented minority

Reactions: 2 users
Is it just me that has a hunch that today could be the day for the second II wave?

I saw you on Reddit yesterday saying you were sad that you hadn't gotten the NYU or UChicago II yet! And now you have both
Yeah I was assuming a very linear review process. If anything though this shows we all have our own time and that the review process is definitely not linear. Interviews and med school works in mysterious ways is my takeaway

Reactions: 1 users
so like when do they send ii to mortal beings

Reactions: 9 users
Congrats everyone!! Question: if we were complete 6/29, should we assume we were probably passed over at this point?

Congrats everyone!! Question: if we were complete 6/29, should we assume we were probably passed over at this point?
No, I don't think so. So looking at the historical trackers it seems as though this is the process:

Especially for high-stat driven schools like NYU, they do an initial glance through the apps they receive and pick out the extremely high stats (LM 80+) and URMs to give interviews to and as the cycle progresses in the fall they cycle back through the apps for high stats + redeeming qualities. For 2 people with the same complete date, one could get the II within a week or two and the other after 2 months.

Moral of the story: I think it's too early to count yourself out!

No, I don't think so. So looking at the historical trackers it seems as though this is the process:

Especially for high-stat driven schools like NYU, they do an initial glance through the apps they receive and pick out the extremely high stats (LM 80+) and URMs to give interviews to and as the cycle progresses in the fall they cycle back through the apps for high stats + redeeming qualities. For 2 people with the same complete date, one could get the II within a week or two and the other after 2 months.

Thank you! I know it seems silly to stress this early, and I really appreciate your patience in answering!!

• Care

Well this is a little unsettling to read sitting here without an II :)

• Care
Thank you! I know it seems silly to stress this early, and I really appreciate your patience in answering!!
Absolutely – and don't worry the stress is definitely justified!! We're all in this together :)

• Love
A well-needed reminder for sure, it's just the stress has been elevated now that they've sent out the first batch of interviews haHahA ... But stay positive! What's meant to be will be– even will high MCAT medians and such, I think NYU's range started at 512 last year!
That 512 last year likely had more than one asterisk helping them since it is lowest stat. Examples- top athlete, invented/discovered something to help others, low ses, military etc.

most of these categories or high stat (LM>80) get the first round of interviews with a few getting acceptances in October and most of the rest deferred from Jan-May with rejections along the way.

Hi everyone ! My LOR was turned in a week ago but there is still a little red exclamation point next to it on NYU status page but the Document status page says LOR received. Is this normal and they just have to manually review it to mark my app as complete ? This is the only school that I am not complete at so I was a bit confused

Hi everyone ! My LOR was turned in a week ago but there is still a little red exclamation point next to it on NYU status page but the Document status page says LOR received. Is this normal and they just have to manually review it to mark my app as complete ? This is the only school that I am not complete at so I was a bit confused
I am having the same issue, +1

II at 3 PM EST! my first one + shocked! complete 7/16, LM 76

Last edited by a moderator:
II received
In complete shock
URM, OOS, LM 76.6

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if the guaranteed student housing applies to people with SO's who will be moving with us or would we have to find somewhere else if we wanted our SO's to live with us?

I'm still working on my secondary- when is the "unofficial deadline" to not submit and save myself the $100. I should be complete (w/LORs) in the next 3 days but worried it's a bit late for NYU.

I'm still working on my secondary- when is the "unofficial deadline" to not submit and save myself the $100. I should be complete (w/LORs) in the next 3 days but worried it's a bit late for NYU.
as long as you submit before labor day weekend, you should be good from what I've been told

Does anyone know whether NYU's interview will be open or close file? I know its an MMI, but there is a 14 min traditional section, so I'm wondering if that is open or closed file. Thanks y'all!